• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

I'm really bummed with this game since they tied level progression to specific events. I've literally been stuck at lvl 61 for about 6 months because of a fucking time trial I can't even come close to beating. Kinda sours any motivation or reason to keep playing.

Sorry to hear that bud, have you tried this?

https://youtu.be/-9-4VOSzczA

If your still stuck and your Internet is good enough I'm sure we could shareplay beat it ;-)

Rushy

I'm really bummed with this game since they tied level progression to specific events. I've literally been stuck at lvl 61 for about 6 months because of a fucking time trial I can't even come close to beating. Kinda sours any motivation or reason to keep playing.
We're looking to make a few changes in this area to make sure everyone feels like they can make some progression - but the elite challenges will still remain as tough as ever.

Hopefully I'll have some updates on this in the coming months.

Why would you not play a game just because your level doesn't say 62?

Just play and enjoy the game on your own terms?

Not sure I follow the logic here.

Why would you not play a game just because your level doesn't say 62?

Just play and enjoy the game on your own terms?

Not sure I follow the logic here.
Because I'm stuck at a single event, what's not to follow? I can't move forward without it.

And Rushy, if this were a drift event, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Just sayin, give a little more choice than 'all progression halted because of a single time trial.' Sorry, but that's dumb and no other part of the game was like that. In the Tours, you could skip to something else without 3 starring an event. But this - this is a bottleneck. I mean, I get it, these are elite challenges. But don't make 'em all time trials. Those are the weakest events in the game.

Those are the weakest events in the game.
pfffft

You make a decent point otherwise. I'd probably be completely dead in the water if my next elite challenge was a drift event.

But these are the top levels of progress, so even then I'd just look at that as an excuse to get better at drifting, though its possible I wouldn't end up being up to the challenge as I just haven't clicked to those events.

desu

Have to say, I don't really understand the problem: It's just a number, you basically gain no advantage from this (except maybe a single free car) and it's not like you're locked out of some significant content just because you can't beat this challange. I've been struggeling (or rather still struggle) with the events but each of them has been a lot of fun even if some of them took me quite a while. My favourite is probably the RUF event in Norway, hard track with a car that's pretty much like sliding on ice. I remember when I attempted it for the first time and thought that this challenge was the biggest POS ever, 2-3 evenings later when I finally beat it I absolutely loved the event, once everything was coming together and that's what I absolutely love about DC and what keeps me playing.

Also these are elite events, so they have their name for a reason. What you could do is attempt all the other events from level 63-75 already (I think we posted the needed times in this thread, so whenever you beat 62 you would level up to how far you've come with beating the other challenges). Be warned though, 62 took me some time but was still ok, however 63 was a pain in the ass for me.

In the worst cast you could always take DHC-Shannow's offer.

Because I'm stuck at a single event, what's not to follow? I can't move forward without it.

And Rushy, if this were a drift event, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Just sayin, give a little more choice than 'all progression halted because of a single time trial.' Sorry, but that's dumb and no other part of the game was like that. In the Tours, you could skip to something else without 3 starring an event. But this - this is a bottleneck. I mean, I get it, these are elite challenges. But don't make 'em all time trials. Those are the weakest events in the game.
But they are markers of skill and you are stuck on an event because, with the greatest of respect to you, you are not skilled enough.

The higher your level, in theory, the greater your skill.

You wouldn't expect to skip to the end of a puzzle game if you're stuck on the first one.

You can go race on any track, in any car, at any time in any condition so you can emulate them anyway if you really want to play it. You just won't get a number next to your name.

Why do you need a number 62 next to your name instead of a 61? What does it prove? Just enjoy the game through the gameplay in my opinion.

And yeah you'll be missing some liveries but people have struggled hard with the Venom Hot Lap, but they don't come on here demanding they get the Tour livery unlocked because it's ridiculous they can't complete it.

Denur

but the elite challenges will still remain as tough as ever.
I'm grateful for this. And I hope that the next challenges become even harder, much harder. At the moment I have 5 stars left in 5 different drift events, and those are just very very hard to reach for me, but each time I get that third drift star, the satisfaction is enormous. I hope for the same level of satisfaction with the next bunch of elite challenges.

But they are markers of skill and you are stuck on an event because, with the greatest of respect to you, you are not skilled enough.

The higher your level, in theory, the greater your skill.

You wouldn't expect to skip to the end of a puzzle game if you're stuck on the first one.

You can go race on any track, in any car, at any time in any condition so you can emulate them anyway if you really want to play it. You just won't get a number next to your name.

Why do you need a number 62 next to your name instead of a 61? What does it prove? Just enjoy the game through the gameplay in my opinion.

And yeah you'll be missing some liveries but people have struggled hard with the Venom Hot Lap, but they don't come on here demanding they get the Tour livery unlocked because it's ridiculous they can't complete it.
Jesus, I've played this game for over a year. I've done all that other shit. Now I have one more car to unlock and that's what I'm trying to do. How is this so hard for people to understand? I don't give a fuck about the level number.

And I'll be damned if I get someone to do it for me, that ain't gonna happen.

Ainsz

Jesus, I've played this game for over a year. I've done all that other shit. Now I have one more car to unlock and that's what I'm trying to do. How is this so hard for people to understand? I don't give a fuck about the level number.

Them being challenging is pretty much the point of it. And I like that they are tied to your online ranking. As they're time trials, it's a reliable way to gauge who's going to be a decent driver before a race starts, rather than just; Who's played the most time (Which rankings in other games usually represent).

If you want to unlock that car, you gotta practise and beat the challenge.

I will say I think it's unfair that you need a certain amount of stars to enter each challenge, forcing the player to buy the expansions to rank up

Well, when someone says progression and being stuck on level 61 then to me their aim is to reach level 70. That's the progression there. If you're telling me your aim is the car then I'd say your issue is less about progression, but rather locking content behind skill as that's essentially what they've done. The ELITE challenges could be entirely separate to the levelling system and we'd still be in the same boat.

Ultimately I feel that's the allure of the challenge. You get the prestige, you get the reward.

It isn't a unique thing either, take Gran Turismo. What if you're stuck on your B licence? You mean I can't take my A licence? What the hell is this junk!

Also, just to touch an your earlier post Tours are actually the same. Your progression is blocked if you are no good as you need a certain amount of stars to play the latter portions of Tours.

And why you would give up on a game because you can't play one car is beyond me. I get the frustration if you've hit a brick way but the RS.01 does not make or break the game.

Siegmeyer

Gotta agree with mangochutmey on this one. I don't see a problem with locking elite levels behind a skill challenge, it's kind of the point of an elite level. Besides, there are a few tour events that I found harder than any of the elite levels I've passed so far (lvl 64).

However, I hate that elite levels are also locked behind total fame requirements. I've got all stars, but I have to grind my arse off for a couple of million fame just to see what my next challenge is. That is WAY more likely to put me off the game than an uber hard test of skill. I think it's fair to say that players going for the elite levels are probably the type who enjoy a challenge (for the most part).

Also, the Renault RS1 is playable before level 66! I was grinding some fame last night, taking advantage of the double fame on french cars. The Renault Invitational event in the Redline tour (I think) lets you select and use it! Strange as I still see it locked out in the garage or when trying a quick sprint event. It sounds beastly and I can't wait to use it on the bigger tracks (it gets stomped by the Twin Run on that small, windy Chile circuit).

Denur

If any of the elite levels ever get tied to a drift event then that'll be it for me.

Hate it with a passion.
I also hope that drifting will not make it to the elite levels. I'm so bad at it. I think there was only one combo I felt truly in control of the car while drifting, one with a Ferrari in Japan.

Gotta agree with mangochutmey on this one. I don't see a problem with locking elite levels behind a skill challenge, it's kind of the point of an elite level. Besides, there are a few tour events that I found harder than any of the elite levels I've passed so far (lvl 64).

However, I hate that elite levels are also locked behind total fame requirements. I've got all stars, but I have to grind my arse off for a couple of million fame just to see what my next challenge is. That is WAY more likely to put me off the game than an uber hard test of skill. I think it's fair to say that players going for the elite levels are probably the type who enjoy a challenge (for the most part).

Also, the Renault RS1 is playable before level 66! I was grinding some fame last night, taking advantage of the double fame on french cars. The Renault Invitational event in the Redline tour (I think) lets you select and use it! Strange as I still see it locked out in the garage or when trying a quick sprint event. It sounds beastly and I can't wait to use it on the bigger tracks (it gets stomped by the Twin Run on that small, windy Chile circuit).

I feel you on this one. I unlocked the R.S.0.1 a while back and I really enjoyed the challenges (more than the tour time trials) but the fame requirements killed the fun in getting that car. Came very close to burning out on the game, not played it much since actually. If it was just a selection of different challenges I would have really enjoyed it.

Makikou

I feel you on this one. I unlocked the R.S.0.1 a while back and I really enjoyed the challenges (more than the tour time trials) but the fame requirements killed the fun in getting that car. Came very close to burning out on the game, not played it much since actually. If it was just a selection of different challenges I would have really enjoyed it.

I agree about FAME Requirements. It's not like i don't play this game a lot but at one point i really had to farm manufacturer accolades so i could get fast FAME to get to rank 75.. (and then i slacked off on lv72 for like 3 weeks because i got lazy). Anyway, i think that maybe they shouldn't require that much fame for elite ranks..

Siegmeyer

Thinking about it a bit more, fame requirement isn't necessarily a bad idea in itself, it's just WAY too high. When getting 1035/1035 stars still leaves you many, many millions short of even the lowest elite levels, you're left with soulless grinding in order to progress. I've been fame farming since lvl 61 or 62 and it's getting fucking tiresome.

I can't imagine what it would be like for players who haven't bought any DLC, the farming necessary would be off the charts.

Auctopus

Thinking about it a bit more, fame requirement isn't necessarily a bad idea in itself, it's just WAY too high. When getting 1035/1035 stars still leaves you many, many millions short of even the lowest elite levels, you're left with soulless grinding in order to progress. I've been fame farming since lvl 61 or 62 and it's getting fucking tiresome.

I can't imagine what it would be like for players who haven't bought any DLC, the farming necessary would be off the charts.

I agree. The only thing stopping me from levelling up now is the gargantuan XP gaps. I suppose that's the point though.

All these comments about the XP limits and grinding make me realise how much I've played this game as I never hit the cap for any of the Elite level challenges! I've dropped to around 1000 in the ranking table now after being around the 300 mark before taking breaks for Bloodborne and The Witcher. I did concentrate on the accolades early on to get the additional fame even if it was using weaker cars in online races, but not had to do that for a long while.

nib95

Banned

I was level 75 with like 800 Tour stars. It's all about doing challenges that have loads of participants. Then again, I've probably invested 250+ hours in to this game...

Siegmeyer

I was level 75 with like 800 Tour stars. It's all about doing challenges that have loads of participants. Then again, I've probably invested 250+ hours in to this game...

Fair play, I just don't get much enjoyment from the challenges. I'm good at this game, but not good enough that I'll ever crack a top 50 unless I devote countless hours to a single challenge, and that's just not gonna happen. I just don't get any reward from beating some random's time, whereas the elite level times I do because I'm just challenging myself, if that makes any sense.

If you're desperate there used to be a glitch where you could upload your game save just before you unlocked a hefty FAME accolade, complete the accolade to get your big bonus, download your old save and repeat the process.

I think they patched it though :p

Fair play, I just don't get much enjoyment from the challenges. I'm good at this game, but not good enough that I'll ever crack a top 50 unless I devote countless hours to a single challenge, and that's just not gonna happen. I just don't get any reward from beating some random's time, whereas the elite level times I do because I'm just challenging myself, if that makes any sense.

You don't have to crack the top 50 to reap decent rewards in challenges. Sometimes i do, but more often i just do a quick run or two, just enough to place in the upper third. Unless i know i can do much better with a couple more tries, i move on to the next one. Just choose challenges with 1000 players or more and you'll easily get upwards of 50k fame points for very little effort, much more if you're decent. Also, if you're doing club challenges, you can get almost twice the amount if your attempt is the best (or only one) in your club.

farmerboy

I'm not too good at them, but I wouldn't mind. They're part of the game, makes sense to be tested on it.

Its not gonna stop me doing them but I'm gonna hate it. Really, really hate it. And considering my skill level with drifting, that'll be the point I get stuck. Also, there seems to be an inconsistenty with the scoring, it'd be a shame to tie "progression" to something that may score you unfairly.

Anyway........
https://youtu.be/9C02RJ2I0-g

There's more time in it, but I was chuffed at this time so far, cos on the tv at home I can't see a thing in these conditions.

On the 50in plasma it's borderline unplayable for me.

Its not gonna stop me doing them but I'm gonna hate it. Really, really hate it. And considering my skill level with drifting, that'll be the point I get stuck. Also, there seems to be an inconsistenty with the scoring, it'd be a shame to tie "progression" to something that may score you unfairly.

Anyway........
https://youtu.be/9C02RJ2I0-g

There's more time in it, but I was chuffed at this time so far, cos on the tv at home I can't see a thing in these conditions.

On the 50in plasma it's borderline unplayable for me.
I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.

farmerboy

Already!!??!?@.

Told you there was more time in it!

Seriously, if it wasn't for the odd lightning flash I'd have no idea where i am. Snow at night is top tier level bullshit :)

How much by?

Already!!??!?@.

Told you there was more time in it!

Seriously, if it wasn't for the odd lightning flash I'd have no idea where i am. Snow at night is top tier level bullshit :)

How much by?
Oh only a second.

You were very slow in comparison to me on the final long corner. Though, you were better at the opening bend than I was.

It is my favourite track though, so that helps :p

farmerboy

Only had 3-4 go's at it. Figured I might have another .5sec but 1 sec, doubt it. :)

Yeah last corner took very conservatively, wanted a decent time in the bag, thus didn't want to fuck it up.

It's all in the name though, isn't it?

Alex is ........
you say it
;-)

nib95

Banned

You don't have to be top 50, in fact you don't even have to be top 100 or 200. If you just finish in the top 1/3rd, you'll usually still get decent fame, especially if lots of people (1000+) have attempted it.

Siegmeyer

So for all my bitching about fame requirements, I actually went from 65 to 66 pretty quickly today, and wondered why it was so fast. Found this info on fame gamefaqs:

lvl 61 - 30,507,500
lvl 62 - 32,787,500
lvl 63 - 35,247,600
lvl 64 - 37,897,500
lvl 65 - 40,747,500
lvl 66 - 41,997,500
lvl 67 - 43,247,500
lvl 68 - 44,497,500
lvl 69 - 45,747,500
lvl 70 - 46,997,500
lvl 71 - 48,497,500
lvl 72 - 49,997,500
lvl 73 - 51,497,500
lvl 74 - 52,997,500
lvl 75 - 54,497,500

So the extra fame needed has actually been decreasing from nearly 3 million to just 1.25m. This goes against pretty much every levelling up system in every other game ever made. It then seems to go back up to 1.5m from lvl 70 onwards.

It's puzzling to say the least.

farmerboy

I'm sorry too ;-)

My deepest sympathies.

LOL. It all starts like this, gentle ribbing and whatnot. Even amongst yourselves. But I can sense some major salt coming one day when the farmer pulls one outta nowhere and sticks it up both of ya.

One day.

And yayyyyy, I'm sooo happy. I just checked the vid I posted and 19 views and 1 downvote!!
I accidently gave myself another one cos I'm an idiot. So 2 now.

Also, I've just realized I have been committing a grave sin. Since Rushy let us adjust the camera shake I thought I'd get all sophisticated and leave it off. Put it back on again and realized just how much it adds to the immersion. Forgive me Evo Gods.

#team100%camerashake

LOL. It all starts like this, gentle ribbing and whatnot. Even amongst yourselves. But I can sense some major salt coming one day when the farmer pulls one outta nowhere and sticks it up both of ya.

One day.

And yayyyyy, I'm sooo happy. I just checked the vid I posted and 19 views and 1 downvote!!
I accidently gave myself another one cos I'm an idiot. So 2 now.

Also, I've just realized I have been committing a grave sin. Since Rushy let us adjust the camera shake I thought I'd get all sophisticated and leave it off. Put it back on again and realized just how much it adds to the immersion. Forgive me Evo Gods.

#team100%camerashake

LOL what've you done bud! The first rule of Driveclub is you don't talk about driveclub (challenges on Gaf)... Unless you want them beating :)

After a few days you can check the analytics on your vid, I bet the downvoter is Austrian...

Siegmeyer

So I've been grinding the Renault Invitational event from the Redline tour today. 5 laps of Los Pelambres reverse in the Twin Run. It's a quick 85k fame in about 3.5 minutes due to double fame in French cars.

Anyway, I've probably done it about 20 times today, gradually getting my time down. I started at about 3.35 secs, and just managed a best of 3.24.9, and it felt almost flawless. Trying to beat Shannow's 3.26 kept it from getting too boring, but kie has a time of. 3.19! That's just ridiculous, dude is a straight up beast.

So I've been grinding the Renault Invitational event from the Redline tour today. 5 laps of Los Pelambres reverse in the Twin Run. It's a quick 85k fame in about 3.5 minutes due to double fame in French cars.

Anyway, I've probably done it about 20 times today, gradually getting my time down. I started at about 3.35 secs, and just managed a best of 3.24.9, and it felt almost flawless. Trying to beat Shannow's 3.26 kept it from getting too boring, but kie has a time of. 3.19! That's just ridiculous, dude is a straight up beast.
Yeah there's a reason I've not added him :p

With a view to the Driveclub League we're thinking of starting once the private servers arrive, here are 3 videos of races I've had recently that's have a number of incidents that we'll see when we run the competition - I'll tell you my take on each but I wonder if people will have different opinions of where the blame lies on what the punishment (if any) should be if we saw the same incidents in a league event.

https://youtu.be/A7ZDsyiYGyo

The first 2 laps of this are very closely contested with a fair bit of contact between cars but it's all about squeezing up the inside with no deliberate swipes at people so nothing unfair to me. Terminator then makes a mistake at the chicane and takes me out too. This was a mistake and just a racing incident so no penalty here either. The mayron guy takes 2nd place but loses it mid corner and is hit by terminator and myself - racing incident again.
Mayron appears to blame me, pushes me off the track deliberately - I then get hit by two more cars in quick succession and wind up facing the wrong way. In the league mayron should be punished for a deliberate act of (misplaced) retribution but what is the correct punishment?

https://youtu.be/NY0Y-7e8R60

Another race with lots of contact but again most of it is minor nibbles as people to ease their way past or sneak up the inside. The worst for me is around the 3:10 mark where I turn in to the corner flat out only for a Caterham to try to squeeze through the gap and spin out in front of me, ruining his race. I felt bad for it though it wasn't deliberate, opinions?

https://youtu.be/ciUy-HWqy9U

If I saw someone doing the 2 later incidents in this vid then I would want to ban them from the league as these are deliberate takedowns.

drotahorror

So I got to test out my xmas gift just to make sure everything was working (g29 /shifter / wheel stand pro)....pure bliss. Oh man xmas can't come soon enough. This will drag me back into DC so hard. I can't wait to see what they bring at the Paris show as well. It felt so good to have so much throttle control. Manual was no joke though.

Ainsz

With a view to the Driveclub League we're thinking of starting once the private servers arrive, here are 3 videos of races I've had recently that's have a number of incidents that we'll see when we run the competition - I'll tell you my take on each but I wonder if people will have different opinions of where the blame lies on what the punishment (if any) should be if we saw the same incidents in a league event.

The first 2 laps of this are very closely contested with a fair bit of contact between cars but it's all about squeezing up the inside with no deliberate swipes at people so nothing unfair to me. Terminator then makes a mistake at the chicane and takes me out too. This was a mistake and just a racing incident so no penalty here either. The mayron guy takes 2nd place but loses it mid corner and is hit by terminator and myself - racing incident again.
Mayron appears to blame me, pushes me off the track deliberately - I then get hit by two more cars in quick succession and wind up facing the wrong way. In the league mayron should be punished for a deliberate act of (misplaced) retribution but what is the correct punishment?

Another race with lots of contact but again most of it is minor nibbles as people to ease their way past or sneak up the inside. The worst for me is around the 3:10 mark where I turn in to the corner flat out only for a Caterham to try to squeeze through the gap and spin out in front of me, ruining his race. I felt bad for it though it wasn't deliberate, opinions?

If I saw someone doing the 2 later incidents in this vid then I would want to ban them from the league as these are deliberate takedowns.

1. Terminator was messy, me and him scrapped a lot for 1st place with no deliberate ramming. In my book he was fine, despite causing a crash with you in the end. Others could see that differently. It was strange how Mayron turned on you like that. I'd call that a reason for disqualification (any deliberate ramming in a league race). But, it being the mad world of DC, rules need to be set that appropriate the game. How serious should we go? We all like our revenge, be it some times misjudged.

2. Depending on how stringent we're looking to judge the races, it could go a few ways. The Caterham took a risk in trying to overtake at such a popular spot for crashes. If it was me who spun him out, at that moment I'd have thought he should have held for a better moment. Especially with Skillet on my left!

But someone could see it as you forced him in to the wall, therefore you should be penalised. Personally, the more I watch that part, it seems like you turn for the bend as normal and the Caterham just happened to show up on the inside. My verdict would be that the Caterham was more culpable for causing the crash for taking such a move. But as DC rules go, that could be seen as a fair move.

3. Yep, the 'Hulk' racer should have been disqualified swiftly. That isn't even ramming to get in front, it was just being a knob.

1. Terminator was messy, me and him scrapped a lot for 1st place with no deliberate ramming. In my book he was fine, despite causing a crash with you in the end. Others could see that differently. It was strange how Mayron turned on you like that. I'd call that a reason for disqualification (any deliberate ramming in a league race). But, it being the mad world of DC, rules need to be set that appropriate the game. How serious should we go? We all like our revenge, be it some times misjudged.

2. Depending on how stringent we're looking to judge the races, it could go a few ways. The Caterham took a risk in trying to overtake at such a popular spot for crashes. If it was me who spun him out, at that moment I'd have thought he should have held for a better moment. Especially with Skillet on my left!

But someone could see it as you forced him in to the wall, therefore you should be penalised. Personally, the more I watch that part, it seems like you turn for the bend as normal and the Caterham just happened to show up on the inside. My verdict would be that the Caterham was more culpable for causing the crash for taking such a move. But as DC rules go, that could be seen as a fair move.

3. Yep, the 'Hulk' racer should have been disqualified swiftly. That isn't even ramming to get in front, it was just being a knob.

1. I think it has to be a rule that any deliberate attempt to push another car off the track forfeits your race result, while multiple offences can get you disqualified from the league. The tit for tat stuff just escalates and has no place on a race track for me.

2. Yeah I can see how it could be judged both ways despite knowing there was no intent on my part. I agree with you though, that it was a risky place to make a move which was a direct cause of the crash. If he'd been driving a Bentley and I'd had a Caterham then the outcome could've been very different and that would be a much trickier decision.

3. The car mismatch probably makes it look even worse but yeah you don't get much more blatant than this.

Side note, isn't the clocks going back great, an extra hour in bed... Unless you have a 1 year old who thinks he should get up at 4am now rather than 5am :-(

Anyone else want to post a video of a race or incident for us to judge?

nib95

Banned

Lol. Damn, you were literally continuously bumped off the track in in that first vid lol.

Top Bottom