• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
With a view to the Driveclub League we're thinking of starting once the private servers arrive, here are 3 videos of races I've had recently that's have a number of incidents that we'll see when we run the competition - I'll tell you my take on each but I wonder if people will have different opinions of where the blame lies on what the punishment (if any) should be if we saw the same incidents in a league event.

https://youtu.be/A7ZDsyiYGyo

The first 2 laps of this are very closely contested with a fair bit of contact between cars but it's all about squeezing up the inside with no deliberate swipes at people so nothing unfair to me. Terminator then makes a mistake at the chicane and takes me out too. This was a mistake and just a racing incident so no penalty here either. The mayron guy takes 2nd place but loses it mid corner and is hit by terminator and myself - racing incident again.
Mayron appears to blame me, pushes me off the track deliberately - I then get hit by two more cars in quick succession and wind up facing the wrong way. In the league mayron should be punished for a deliberate act of (misplaced) retribution but what is the correct punishment?

https://youtu.be/NY0Y-7e8R60

Another race with lots of contact but again most of it is minor nibbles as people to ease their way past or sneak up the inside. The worst for me is around the 3:10 mark where I turn in to the corner flat out only for a Caterham to try to squeeze through the gap and spin out in front of me, ruining his race. I felt bad for it though it wasn't deliberate, opinions?

https://youtu.be/ciUy-HWqy9U

If I saw someone doing the 2 later incidents in this vid then I would want to ban them from the league as these are deliberate takedowns.

My laptop won't load any of your vids for some reason. I have no problem playing any others. All I get is the constant 'loading' icon in the centre. Any suggestions?

Makikou

Heh the last video. Had that exact same thing last night except it was like a group of 4-5 people and they all tried to hit me. People on the inside line on a left hander, i'm outside on right side and they turn in the middle of corner straight into me. Same in the straights.

It's even more sad that i still beat them in a Golf vs Megane's. Encountered a lot of people yesterday that tried to smash into me when they knew they are slow AF. Plus it's funny that even when they try to hit you, you can trick them into missing you and going straight to the wall heh.

But sometimes i wish there was a report option in DRIVECLUB for Bad Connections & griefing

This is why i had the idea of starting the private lobby community, so prasing/reporting ect can be kept to one place....*Hopefully* guaranteeing whatever race your in via it, it should be one devoid of people like in shannow's last vid (Bentley drivers allowed...good ones tho). :D

With a view to the Driveclub League we're thinking of starting once the private servers arrive, here are 3 videos of races I've had recently that's have a number of incidents that we'll see when we run the competition - I'll tell you my take on each but I wonder if people will have different opinions of where the blame lies on what the punishment (if any) should be if we saw the same incidents in a league event.

https://youtu.be/A7ZDsyiYGyo

The first 2 laps of this are very closely contested with a fair bit of contact between cars but it's all about squeezing up the inside with no deliberate swipes at people so nothing unfair to me. Terminator then makes a mistake at the chicane and takes me out too. This was a mistake and just a racing incident so no penalty here either. The mayron guy takes 2nd place but loses it mid corner and is hit by terminator and myself - racing incident again.
Mayron appears to blame me, pushes me off the track deliberately - I then get hit by two more cars in quick succession and wind up facing the wrong way. In the league mayron should be punished for a deliberate act of (misplaced) retribution but what is the correct punishment?

https://youtu.be/NY0Y-7e8R60

Another race with lots of contact but again most of it is minor nibbles as people to ease their way past or sneak up the inside. The worst for me is around the 3:10 mark where I turn in to the corner flat out only for a Caterham to try to squeeze through the gap and spin out in front of me, ruining his race. I felt bad for it though it wasn't deliberate, opinions?

https://youtu.be/ciUy-HWqy9U

If I saw someone doing the 2 later incidents in this vid then I would want to ban them from the league as these are deliberate takedowns.
Heh, poor Vaga in that third vid. I'd say the first incident in that video isn't too bad. Yes it knocked you off course but incidents like that can happen very easily as it's hard to react and judge other people's cornering speeds sometimes, especially on opening laps.

In the second video it is entirely the Caterham's fault. If you look they turn in before they're completely passed you, and they carried on turning left with force once they had passed you, but of course your car is now out of the way so they went straight to the left side of the track and that's what unsettled the car and caused you to turn it round. You shouldn't be expected to slam on your brakes because someone OTs on the dirt.

1. Imo, since anyone can save their replays and upload them to somewhere, I think that if you have a problem with someone's driving style, you should save the replay and take it to the "court". And have a rule that you don't go for revenge even if you feel that you have been rammed etc as baseline.

2. Not much to say about the Caterham case, he took a risk and it didn't pay off. But if someone keeps causing crashes because they try to make risky passes then warning(s)/penalties should be given.

3. No place in a driving/racing league.

Makikou

1. Imo, since anyone can save their replays and upload them to somewhere, I think that if you have a problem with someone's driving style, you should save the replay and take it to the "court". And have a rule that you don't go for revenge even if you feel that you have been rammed etc as baseline.

2. Not much to say about the Caterham case, he took a risk and it didn't pay off. But if someone keeps causing crashes because they try to make risky passes then warning(s)/penalties should be given.

3. No place in a driving/racing league.

1. Well yes and no. You can upload a video but i'd only rely on the actual replay file and since you can't share those.. Also i think it would actually be key evidence IF we could see all driver inputs (that is steering, brake & throttle %)

Auctopus

I think I'm gonna get started on an improved OT for OT4 (even if Radec ends up doing it in the end) seeing as the game has developed so much over the last year.

If anyone has any ideas for layouts, information to include or OT titles then hit me up.

Should probably add does anyone know where I can get the Driveclub font? I've seen someone online replicate it but it's not for sale or anything.

desu

Radec hasn't posted here since March :).

The elite level information (tracks, cars, time) would probably relevant. Some information on season pass 1 (and hopefully 2 next week :D).

5taquitos

Should probably add does anyone know where I can get the Driveclub font? I've seen someone online replicate it but it's not for sale or anything.

I think Stratum 2 Black should be a good match the exact font:
Stratum2Black.gif

Firstly, thanks for all the replies guys :)

Hopefully I'll cover all the responses / points raised :-

Nibs - yeah I think some guys will leave space on the inside if they see you coming and try to pass you on the exit whilst others wont budge and force you onto the dirt - safe to say Terminator was an option 2 guy...

GribbleGrunger - not a clue mate, produced them in the same way as all the others :-(

Maki - Yeah I wouldn't fancy running the Driveclub griefing line, you'd have a massive backlog in the first hour.

Anything - Yep I'm a member, hopefully the private server thing will link directly into the community so you can jump into games through it.

Mango - 1st vid is around the 2:35 mark (last lap) and looks pretty deliberate to me :) I'm with you on 2 & 3 though :)

Mallard - Yep this is how I want it to run, keep complaints to an absolute minimum but if you feel wronged then post the footage and we'll make a decision. It does need to be replay footage however and not share button as you only see one view of the action (and on my bumper cam it's very restricted - I had no clue what the hell happened in that first vid).

Maki - I certainly don't want it to get to that level of fine detail like F1, if we can't assign clear blame from watching the incident then it's just a racing incident and there's no penalty to place.

OK so another issue to resolve is blocking. Personally I would say no blocking is allowed, you can decide to take a tight defensive line into a bend which means you go slower around the corner but this is fine. You can move on the straight to try to break the tow but if your move across the track causes the guy behind to hit you then that is a block which should be penalised... How does everyone feel about this?

I think I'm gonna get started on an improved OT for OT4 (even if Radec ends up doing it in the end) seeing as the game has developed so much over the last year.

If anyone has any ideas for layouts, information to include or OT titles then hit me up.

There was a link posted on here to a design guide, cover art and stuff which had the font in it many moons ago.

As posted it is Stratum 2 Black, and the other font used in UI is Futura.

farmerboy

You can move on the straight to try to break the tow but if your move across the track causes the guy behind to hit you then that is a block which should be penalised... How does everyone feel about this?

I think the rule is something along the lines of your allowed to move once to protect your position, but only once. Obviously, you wouldn't do that if they had way more speed. Then you gotta let them through.

Honestly, I think everyone here will be great. We've all been posting here a while so i would like to think everyone's sweet with each other. But i hope that doesn't lead to "polite" racing. A little niggle adds to the experience, but there will be people who get frustrated at the slightest contact.

I'd be happy to acknowledge genuine mistakes, and it'd be great for others to do so. Simple things, like letting guys back past again if your mistake hindered them.

Maybe the chase cam should be mandatory, so you have a better idea of your surroundings.

There's only a handful of guys I'd personally vouch for anyway from outside this thread. So i feel the group will be pretty tight knit.

Personally, I haven't had the opportunity to race with a lot of you regularly. Ainsz being the only one. But if we get something up and running that's regular that'd be great.

Game certainly is pretty (like my paintjob). :p

QUIrFyS.png
Only a couple more days until the full livery editor is revealed!

On a serious note though, I've always been curious where some of the livery options went. There's still some imagery in the game where there's cars with liveries that cannot be made.

One of the menu options has I think the R8 with a design similar to this, https://psmedia.playstation.com/is/image/psmedia/driveclub-screen-01-ps4-us-26aug14

Many of the old shots seem to suggest you might have been able to customise various parts of the car individually from others. Note how the bonnet has the livery, left side has a different pattern.

Here, bonnet has livery, side is plain. http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/26/2689536-dc_jd_03.jpg

Again nother bonnet with livery, side with another. http://www.gengame.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/plus.jpg

Auctopus

Radec hasn't posted here since March :).

The elite level information (tracks, cars, time) would probably relevant. Some information on season pass 1 (and hopefully 2 next week :D).

I think Stratum 2 Black should be a good match the exact font:
Stratum2Black.gif

There was a link posted on here to a design guide, cover art and stuff which had the font in it many moons ago.

As posted it is Stratum 2 Black, and the other font used in UI is Futura.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Looks like Stratum 2 Black is about £20! I'll get to work on it this week. Probably going to use community photos as the backdrops so post, in your opinion, the best of the best!

I think the rule is something along the lines of your allowed to move once to protect your position, but only once. Obviously, you wouldn't do that if they had way more speed. Then you gotta let them through.

Honestly, I think everyone here will be great. We've all been posting here a while so i would like to think everyone's sweet with each other. But i hope that doesn't lead to "polite" racing. A little niggle adds to the experience, but there will be people who get frustrated at the slightest contact.

I'd be happy to acknowledge genuine mistakes, and it'd be great for others to do so. Simple things, like letting guys back past again if your mistake hindered them.

Maybe the chase cam should be mandatory, so you have a better idea of your surroundings.

There's only a handful of guys I'd personally vouch for anyway from outside this thread. So i feel the group will be pretty tight knit.

Personally, I haven't had the opportunity to race with a lot of you regularly. Ainsz being the only one. But if we get something up and running that's regular that'd be great.

I do think that peeps who post on here will be good clean racers for the most part, however I think it's best to lay down some rules from the start so everyone knows what is and isn't allowed which should save hassle down the line. Being in the same party helps too with clean racing as you can tell someone where you are if they haven't seen you or warn where you are if you've crashed etc. The giving the place back if you took it by unfair means is another rule I want to use too :)

Shaneus

Thanks for the replies, guys. Looks like Stratum 2 Black is about £20! I'll get to work on it this week. Probably going to use community photos as the backdrops so post, in your opinion, the best of the best!
When doing fonts for some other OT I was working on, I found a website that lets you test what a font looks like at any size with any writing, so I just typed it in there, selected the font at the largest size and copypasta'd it. Buggered if I can remember what it was, though.

When doing fonts for some other OT I was working on, I found a website that lets you test what a font looks like at any size with any writing, so I just typed it in there, selected the font at the largest size and copypasta'd it. Buggered if I can remember what it was, though.
myfonts.com

Played a bit of challenges today since i noticed 1 of my favourite cars was running there.
Renault Alpine A50-110 on Munnar Sprint, rain & night.

Triumphed victorious, partly by luck i feel that i just got a good run off the last corner because i was having trouble with it.
GG to Hybridizationn (sorry if i butchered that).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl_2PNBgoNk&feature=youtu.be&a

Very well done mate! Our club with the worst name takes the win! :)

Rushy

So for all my bitching about fame requirements, I actually went from 65 to 66 pretty quickly today, and wondered why it was so fast. Found this info on fame gamefaqs:

lvl 61 - 30,507,500
lvl 62 - 32,787,500
lvl 63 - 35,247,600
lvl 64 - 37,897,500
lvl 65 - 40,747,500
lvl 66 - 41,997,500
lvl 67 - 43,247,500
lvl 68 - 44,497,500
lvl 69 - 45,747,500
lvl 70 - 46,997,500
lvl 71 - 48,497,500
lvl 72 - 49,997,500
lvl 73 - 51,497,500
lvl 74 - 52,997,500
lvl 75 - 54,497,500

So the extra fame needed has actually been decreasing from nearly 3 million to just 1.25m. This goes against pretty much every levelling up system in every other game ever made. It then seems to go back up to 1.5m from lvl 70 onwards.

It's puzzling to say the least.
We realised that we pushed the levelling requirements too high, so we reduced the amount of fame required per level to something that. Expect more levels with similar fame requirements going forwards ;)

And we're going to be even more generous with fame with new accolades and we're pretty much constantly running double fame events now to help.

We realised that we pushed the levelling requirements too high, so we reduced the amount of fame required per level to something that. Expect more levels with similar fame requirements going forwards ;)

And we're going to be even more generous with fame with new accolades and we're pretty much constantly running double fame events now to help.

Noticed something at the weekend, the Renault Megane didn't give out double fame but the Clio was?

desu

GIMX part to get my G25 working with Driveclub ordered and shipped.

DC announcement a bit more than a day away!

Excitement!!!

excited-amy-adams-in-09ild.gif

New Accolades confirmed! PGW announcement spoiled.

Shaneus

GIMX part to get my G25 working with Driveclub ordered and shipped.

DC announcement a bit more than a day away!

Excitement!!!

excited-amy-adams-in-09ild.gif
I should have mine up and running tomorrow night (so 36-ish hours from now). Maybe tonight, but the girlfriend is staying the night so may not get any gaming in at all.

So what are our predictions for tomorrow?

I tried to scope out the people listed in the credits for any infoz they'd willingly posted on their portfolios and LinkedIn profiles but alas I came up empty. Except one of the artists is using one of my panoramas in their portfolios, how dare they :p

Shaneus

Man, that was very hard to watch without getting angry - why do people drive like this? It can't be fun?
Oh, I did get angry. Fuck that pisses me off.

So what are our predictions for tomorrow?

I tried to scope out the people listed in the credits for any infoz they'd willingly posted on their portfolios and LinkedIn profiles but alas I came up empty. Except one of the artists is using one of my panoramas in their portfolios, how dare they :p
App reveal. Few new cars, new manufacturer or two (like Ford or Tesla or something maybe?) and a quick teaser of the new locations, at least one of which is a city.

As you can tell, that went from likely speculation to downright wishful thinking :/

Ainsz

That was infuriating to watch. But even though you didn't win, at least you beat the two of them at the end!
Yeah it felt good to get passed them at the end after dicing with them all race.

Damn seem to have some serious beef with them (or they with you). Either way the finish for was absolutely perfect.
Maybe they do, but throughout the race, they attacked a bunch of other racers. Two flying off the track at the start.

Man, that was very hard to watch without getting angry - why do people drive like this? It can't be fun?
Some people get a kick out fucking up other peoples games, in any online game really. This took me by surprise from how they were obviously coordinating the attacks between them, rather than just the usual ramming.

App reveal. Few new cars, new manufacturer or two (like Ford or Tesla or something maybe?) and a quick teaser of the new locations, at least one of which is a city.

As you can tell, that went from likely speculation to downright wishful thinking :/

Yeah I'm reckoning the app. If they're presenting this then they'll want to show something. Season Pass 2 with some Hondas, Fords and Lexai.

I think we'll see some new features too, maybe a league/season type system.

We're still missing the activity feed, unless that was ditched, too.

Maybe another couple of weather options - fog, maybe ice?

I honestly can't see us getting city tracks, I think the closest we'll get is something like the bumpy section of The Kyle with the traffic lights, the pub, petrol station etc but for the duration of the track - dense villages in essence.

Better livery options.

Course creator.

kie25

Thought I'd share this with regards to ghosting back markers, project doesn't ghost lap cars for some daft reason, this guy had been taking me out every lap from lap 6 I had a 30 second lead after 6 laps, then this idiot turned that into 5 by taking me out every lap then on final lap he did this, Driveclub done it the proper way ghosting lapped cars.

https://twitter.com/kieran_30/status/658429469225525248

So earlier today, I got in to an interesting race with some club rivals who went for some special racing tactics from start to finish. See what you think to this organised ramming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PdzXmwwnC0

Nicely dodged at the end there bud! Never seen that Colin macrae dude before, just checked out ziggys profile and there's only him and my mate(!) papo in their club. As you know, Skillet and I used to race with Ziggy all the time before Bloodborne took us away for a while and he'd unfriended us when we returned - he was a funny guy but never needed much encouragement to go postal on someone in a race.

Should have expected this ending.....

https://youtu.be/GGKD58pZ09E

Yeah that was a dick move at the end, bandipur is quite bad for that though as there's such a long run to the finish line and drafting is very effective.

Since a Ford pack is pretty much guaranteed if Season Pass 2 is announced, here's the vehicles I'd like to see (And are pretty much shoe-ins tbh)

2016 Focus RS (Slot in at low Performance)
Fiesta ST (Perfect Hot Hatch)
Shelby GT350R (Fits into the muscle car niche made in Performance class)
2005 Ford GT (Since I believe the 2016 variant is exclusive to Forza, this fits perfect into the Super class)

and probably one other off the wall car. I would like to see the GT90 possibly as a high Super, low end Hyper car. Though I would imagine it might be maybe something closer to the original Mk.1 GT40.

krioto

I just want the Antigua location that was (maybe) leaked (via screen) at a conference held by Rushy very long time ago.

desu

Bikes would be an odd addition to the game for me. Visually the experience would probably be pretty incredible (add Morpheus support to that), however gameplay wise they wouldn't be all that interesting to me. Either way sounds like an substantial add on for the game so I am excited.

Top Bottom