• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Danlord

Was this the update that is supposed to have some visual improvements? Can anyone notice anything immediately or will it be more subtle? Anyone notice if the Anisotropic filtering is at a higher level?

Nuzzle

Finally got my account approved! Have played with a few of you before, under my PSN ID bathoney, and I'm hoping to be a part of future GAF DC Challenges.

Was this the update that is supposed to have some visual improvements? Can anyone notice anything immediately or will it be more subtle? Anyone notice if the Anisotropic filtering is at a higher level?

I don't believe so, usually the patch notes would point out any notable graphical additions.

Auctopus

I'll be on tonight, hopefully from around 8pm (providing I can get the kids to sleep!) to give the new private servers a whirl - I'll knock up a spreadsheet too so we can try a little league event all going well.

If you want to join in and have a go then send me a psn message when you're on - We'll experiment with the settings (can you still draft when ghosting is turned on? etc) and see what works best before starting our league events next week probably.

I'll send you a PSN message tonight but I thought I'd tell you on here I'd like in too. Sounds like the perfect time to seriously get back in to the game again.

I'll be on tonight, hopefully from around 8pm (providing I can get the kids to sleep!) to give the new private servers a whirl - I'll knock up a spreadsheet too so we can try a little league event all going well.

If you want to join in and have a go then send me a psn message when you're on - We'll experiment with the settings (can you still draft when ghosting is turned on? etc) and see what works best before starting our league events next week probably.

I'll certainly be up for these, however tonight isn't a good time, it's the girlfriends birthday so we're out for a meal and lounge is still looking like a bomb site after decorating at the weekend.

Jacknapes

Driveclub - The game that keeps on giving. The bikes DLC/expansion is fantastic, ok i did find there is a learning curve (which i got used to pretty quickly), but i love it.

Duallusion

I seriously wish Evo would introduce some sort of a deadzone setting for R2 trigger so I can keep using it for throttle and remain competitive.

Tried the 76 level objective and Evo's ghost had half a second advantage on me before I even reached the first left turn across the bridge; and that's while squeezing the R2 trigger as hard as I could. Car's DS Volt so any manual transmition advantage isn't possible to explain this.

77 level time trial; same problem, basically, until I switched throttle to R1 and passed the challenge in my first try. The difference was immediately obvious, especially on both straights (Oliver's Landing).

The thing is, R1 isn't as comfortable to hold as R2 and it's not analog(?) so there's lots of tapping involved for throttle regulation in faster cars. Tried right stick for throttle too but didn't like it so I guess I'm stuck with R1 now, unless I buy a new gamepad.

tl;dr Throttle mapped to R2 is potentially a disadvantage (in DC). It sure is on my (day one) DS4 although I've seen some people here mentioning they switched throttle to another button too (Shannow?).

Makikou

I seriously wish Evo would introduce some sort of a deadzone setting for R2 trigger so I can keep using it for throttle and remain competitive.

Tried the 76 level objective and Evo's ghost had half a second advantage on me before I even reached the first left turn across the bridge; and that's while squeezing the R2 trigger as hard as I could. Car's DS Volt so any manual transmition advantage isn't possible to explain this.

77 level time trial; same problem, basically, until I switched throttle to R1 and passed the challenge in my first try. The difference was immediately obvious, especially on both straights (Oliver's Landing).

The thing is, R1 isn't as comfortable to hold as R2 and it's not analog(?) so there's lots of tapping involved for throttle regulation in faster cars. Tried right stick for throttle too but didn't like it so I guess I'm stuck with R1 now, unless I buy a new gamepad.

tl;dr Throttle mapped to R2 is potentially a disadvantage (in DC). It sure is on my (day one) DS4 although I've seen some people here mentioning they switched throttle to another button too (Shannow?).

Your R2 is broken. I had to switch my day 1 DS4 controller because it had the R2 only go to 80%

Danlord

Yeah, basically. I just wonder how widespread this problem is. :/

I noticed this when I was playing Rocket League with my launch controller. Had to buy a new one, thankfully the Anniversary controller was just coming out so I got that as replacement.

Your R2 is broken. I had to switch my day 1 DS4 controller because it had the R2 only go to 80%

Yep, same thing happened to me. I was getting really frustrated at being unable to beat a simple hot hatch time trial, until kie figured it out from a clip i uploaded. I didn't even know that was a common defect on the DS4 before that. I wonder how many rubberbanding complaints can be blamed on it.

Ainsz

Yeah, basically. I just wonder how widespread this problem is. :/

I'm pretty certain I've got this problem to at the moment. In the same boat as you, really struggling to get the Gumpert time trial for level 75 with the R2. I don't fancy switching to R1 for throttle but might go old school and switch to the X button for now.

Also here's a race with me and Maki from earlier in a private lobby. A Lotus Exige Vs Wombat Typhoon on Sinclair because why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY43thBRoVA

Duallusion

I noticed this when I was playing Rocket League with my launch controller. Had to buy a new one, thankfully the Anniversary controller was just coming out so I got that as replacement.

Is there anything better/special about it, other then color scheme? I'm not too keen on wasting 50€ on a "regular" DS4 because my R2 doesn't fully register the pressure. A bit of an upgrade wouldn't go amis for PS4's gamepad for sure.

Back on topic; Is one "official" GAF private lobby going to be enough? We might need at least two, occasionally: one for a whole bunch of top 5% DC drivers that post around here (you know who you are!) and one for the rest of us slowpoke mortals. :p

Duallusion

I'm pretty certain I've got this problem to at the moment. In the same boat as you, really struggling to get the Gumpert time trial for level 75 with the R2. I don't fancy switching to R1 for throttle but might go old school and switch to the X button for now.

Try R1, it might grow on you; especially when/if you'll notice the difference. I didn't choose the face button because they are pressure-sensitive, if I'm not mistaken? I don't enjoy pressing face buttons too hard; don't like the feeling.

naku

Hey guys! Just got the game + season pass on Saturday. Is there a GAF club of some sort? I'd like to get into the social aspect of the game. My PSN: Temetsi
Feel free to add me. I'm currently in the army but I usually play during weekends.

Its the gift that keeps on giving! I can't believe at how much stuff has been added to Driveclub over the last year, its the only racer I've touched this generation and it just keeps dragging me back in!

The new patch has worked wonders for me so far, using low breaking assists has helped me so that I've managed to clear that damned Duck 'till Dawn challenge to finally get all the stars on the Midnight tour, and I've managed to polish off another tour while I'm at it.

I also noticed that there is an all stars tour with a small trophy list, does anyone know if that is available for season pass holders?

Yep I've been using R1 since around February I think, works well for me but I do keep thinking I should get it fixed and see if a more proportional throttle helps at all.

My team lobby is a pretty friendly place if anyone fancies a race. Ainsz, Makikou, Vagabone and myself are on most nights - you'll see we only usually post the vids where we look good ;-)

Duallusion

Hey guys! Just got the game + season pass on Saturday. Is there a GAF club of some sort? I'd like to get into the social aspect of the game. My PSN: Temetsi
Feel free to add me. I'm currently in the army but I usually play during weekends.

There's no GAF club, since they're limited to 6 members. There's probably going to be an active GAF multiplayer lobby, though.

Rushy

So, I'm assuming driving assists etc. disqualify you from challenges where they haven't been used?
The Braking Assist won't make you faster. Think it more of a way to help you learn the courses, and reduce crashes/spins.

Ideally players who are struggling will turn it on, and as they improve slowly reduce it over time until they can remove it and start setting some really fast laps.

Auctopus

The Braking Assist won't make you faster. Think it more of a way to help you learn the courses, and reduce crashes/spins.

Ideally players who are struggling will turn it on, and as they improve slowly reduce it over time until they can remove it and start setting some really fast laps.

Hmm, okay. Fair enough. I suppose it'll eventually restrict their driving as they try to push their limits a little more.

hamchan

Just as long as people using assists aren't beating the Venom Hot Lap first go that I spent hours to beat then I'm fine with them having it as a learning tool.

Rushy

Just as long as people using assists aren't beating the Venom Hot Lap first go that I spent hours to beat then I'm fine with them having it as a learning tool.
It unlikely that high end challenges (like venom hot lap and elite levels) with the braking assist will even be possible.

Duallusion

Yep I've been using R1 since around February I think, works well for me but I do keep thinking I should get it fixed and see if a more proportional throttle helps at all.

R1 is way better then busted R2 for sure but yeah, fully functional analog trigger is certainly better then a button for a racing game.

So, who's making (or made) an Official NeoGaf DriveClub lobby? Should one (or two) be added to the OP?

newjeruse

I get this screen now when I go to "Bikes"

CS0p_LlUcAAQE6s.png:large

R1 is way better then busted R2 for sure but yeah, fully functional analog trigger is certainly better then a button for a racing game.

So, who's making (or made) an Official NeoGaf DriveClub lobby? Should one (or two) be added to the OP?

I've kinda developed my own style now, don't wanna mess with it! The bikes took a bit of figuring out as they really didn't agree with it.

My plan is to get online and start a lobby up around 8 with the practice event thing around 9 but we'll see how it goes. I think you need to be invited into a lobby so ideally you need a gaffer with a big friends list to create it (or someone who doesn't mind lots a friend requests)

All you bastards having fun on private servers and I'm still working! (tho riding a motorbike is fun anyway :p).

Will definitely be slapping up a server for gaffers when I'm in tho.

It unlikely that high end challenges (like venom hot lap and elite levels) with the braking assist will even be possible.

The elite levels don't seem possible with assists. I tried one for the heck of it (level 61 challenge) and it seems physically impossible using "low" breaking assist options.

Out of interest, with the easy tour mode coming - will that just adjust AI for races or will it also adjust time trial times and drift score targets?

If you are curious about your R2 you can hop in the DS Survolt and the top left number on the wheel is throttle percentage.

Curiously mine sometimes only goes to 99%.

Hopefully the past two days have inspired them to work on fog!

Korezo

If I buy the standalone bike version can I still run bikes from driveclub like if I had the expansion or only seperate through the bikes games application?

Jamesways

If you are curious about your R2 you can hop in the DS Survolt and the top left number on the wheel is throttle percentage.

Curiously mine sometimes only goes to 99%.

Hopefully the past two days have inspired them to work on fog!

Awesome. Thanks for the tip. Wondering if mine is broken as well. Some events I'm waaaay off the pace.

Actually prolly worth mentioning I'll be running a car server tonight, are you running a bike server AnythingBut?

I've not driven the cars since the bikes were released, gonna be strange!

Was going to m8, just in the process of setting one up, so if anyone on my friends list wants to jump in my session before I start annoying people with invites :p

Top Bottom