• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Nyx

Private lobby worked fine last night, finally able to race my friends without any others bothering us. Won 3 out of 4 races so all was good.

Also did some more skill runs with bikes to get some new ones when I unlocked the last Ducati. Dat engine-sound, wow!

I think colors are a bit more vibrant in the sun and I was playing in Norway earlier and I saw some kind of fog by the side of the mountain that I didn't remember seeing before. Don't know if there really have been improvements or is just my mind playing tricks on me though.
That has indeed always been there, in fact it was used in a pre-launch trailer! It is a time of day thing. They'd mention the improvement I am sure.

I'm really hoping it is fog.

Good fun on the private lobbies tonight everyone who took part. A few hiccups with connection problems here and there (Unable to connect at all, getting kicked out, drivers glitching) but overall went pretty smooth.

Surely be on tomorrow for some more!
I think you were in a Twin'Run on Yedapalli with me. I do apologise to anyone if they were unduly cut up or destroyed by myself, some git locked it to bumper cam and I had the rear-view mirror disabled so I couldn't see shit and I hate the Twin'Run :p

drotahorror

When you get all stars for a tour (DLC ones) it says you've unlocked a Bonus Livery. Where are these located? My liveries never say I have anything new, and the only livery in the Bonus section is the Driveclub logo one. Are they located in Tours?

Makikou

Pretty meh'd. Got in 1 private lobby race and then the game decided that i had signed out of PSN, kept asking me to sign in and everytime i pushed the sign in button it would throw me to the game and repeat the error. Ran out of patience.

Annoyed and i went to play FFXIV

Pretty meh'd. Got in 1 private lobby race and then the game decided that i had signed out of PSN, kept asking me to sign in and everytime i pushed the sign in button it would throw me to the game and repeat the error. Ran out of patience.

Annoyed and i went to play FFXIV

Was that just now? Could be PSN acting up, i'm also having problems in MGO.

Ainsz

OK night one could've gone smoother, we had several issues at the start of the night and were on the verge of jacking it in but then things seemed to level out, the server filled up and we had some good (and not so good) races.

The good :-

Plenty of options for collisions, drafting and penalties mean I'm sure we'll be able to find a good balance for the league.

The racing was some of the closest I've ever had with many cars in close attendance, and the slightest mistake often punished by losing several places. Certainly got the blood pumping when you lead a pack with the skill of the guys we had in last night.

I like the grid display, showing who starts where and in what car.

After the first hour or so it seemed very stable, with no hitches and all running well.

The not so good :-

The grid sorting system had a bug where as host I was either first on the grid every race if I selected lobby or last on the grid every race if I picked random (not coincidence when it happens ten races on the trot surely!).

Maki had various connection problems after managing to host the first race, ended up quitting. Ainsz had connection problems for the first 1.5 hours but did seem to stabilise at the end.

Skillet and I both had a bug where the car would rev but not move despite being in gear - Pressing options then resume cleared it.

Skillet had a crash back to the desktop, but that was the only one of those we had all night. We did have it hang on the track loading screen once, but it started once 3 peeps had left.

The invite system uses the challenge menu rather than the social one, the problem is the challenge menu doesn't show whose online so inviting peeps in is a bit of a pain as you open the social menu, see whose there then switch back and scroll down your friends list to find them.

Future improvements :-

As we've talked about previously, I'd love qualifying to be in there for the grid order but I can understand why it's not made it.

Spectator mode appears to be in after a fashion if you quit during the race, be nice to have a full spectator mode for people who join whilst the race is in progress.

Yep this to a tee. All the parts are there for a great feature, just a few tweaks and fixes and some added tools down the road should really make it shine. The Caterham race is one of the most memorable ones I've had in a while, pure fun.

- +1 for an optional qualifying round
- +1 on a full spectator mode, the option to look the map, racers, parts of the track etc.
- +1 on a refined invite system.
- an option for host to select a few particular cars for a race.
- an option to create a playlist of events to play out in succession perhaps?

I think you were in a Twin'Run on Yedapalli with me. I do apologise to anyone if they were unduly cut up or destroyed by myself, some git locked it to bumper cam and I had the rear-view mirror disabled so I couldn't see shit and I hate the Twin'Run :p

Yeah, I remember that race, I got wiped out early on and figured I'd had enough for the night. I put it down to the locked floor cam and like you, couldn't see shit. Didn't catch your name though, what's your PSN, I'll add you. ;)

Siegmeyer

If you are curious about your R2 you can hop in the DS Survolt and the top left number on the wheel is throttle percentage.

Curiously mine sometimes only goes to 99%.

Hopefully the past two days have inspired them to work on fog!

This is an awesome tip, so thanks for that. At the same time, I was blissfully unaware my R2 wasn't fully functional until I tried it yesterday. I only get around 95% max with the 'standard' press I'd been using. I had to squeeze the living shit out of it to get it to 100%, a pressure that would probably kill the controller quickly and was way too uncomfortable to play the game with anyway.

Did a quick swap of the L2 and R2 functions, and L2 gave me 100% no problems, even though the 'give' in them feels identical. So I either have to adapt to using the right stick (tried for ten minutes yesterday, it felt weird but not as bad as I thought, the biggest problem was with thumb slippage), or get a new controller, which I can't really justify for just one game.

Soooo, Rushy, is there any chance you could implement a throttle calibration option for those with janky R2s? I have no idea if this is a simple fix, or a crapload of work for a minority of users, but there's no harm in asking :)

On a side note, I'm pretty chuffed I managed to get to lvl 75 without using the max capabilities of the cars. Rolling starts masked most of the problems on the elite challenges, and I assumed I was wheel spinning too much at the start of the P2P tracks as I was seeing a ghost get a slightly better start each time.

NeoRausch

Cross posting from the Bikes Thread:

Bought it and love it, but I have a question for a friend:

He only has the free PS+ version of Driveclub and only wants Driveclub Bikes (Standalone) but if he goes to the store (Germany) Hr only gets the 14,99€ version.
What's up with that? Can you buy the 14,99 extension for the PS+ version and it will work?!

Yep this to a tee. All the parts are there for a great feature, just a few tweaks and fixes and some added tools down the road should really make it shine. The Caterham race is one of the most memorable ones I've had in a while, pure fun.

- +1 for an optional qualifying round
- +1 on a full spectator mode, the option to look the map, racers, parts of the track etc.
- +1 on a refined invite system.
- an option for host to select a few particular cars for a race.
- an option to create a playlist of events to play out in succession perhaps?

Screenshot_2015_11_03_14_03_04.png

I think this is the point I realised it was all about to wrong! The 2 cars without names are Ainsz and AnythingBut.

That race we had around Sentralindt was pretty horrible, 12 very competitive drivers with standard rules was a lot more like bumper cars than I expected. I guess the field on normal public races quickly spread out but that didn't really happen.

Duallusion

This is an awesome tip, so thanks for that. At the same time, I was blissfully unaware my R2 wasn't fully functional until I tried it yesterday. I only get around 95% max with the 'standard' press I'd been using. I had to squeeze the living shit out of it to get it to 100%, a pressure that would probably kill the controller quickly and was way too uncomfortable to play the game with anyway.

My R2 only manages about 85%. I've collected all the gold stars in hard(er) mode, basically, before I finally had enough and switched to R1 yesterday.

Maki had various connection problems after managing to host the first race, ended up quitting. Ainsz had connection problems for the first 1.5 hours but did seem to stabilise at the end.

Skillet had a crash back to the desktop, but that was the only one of those we had all night. We did have it hang on the track loading screen once, but it started once 3 peeps had left.

I had tons of problems with cars teleporting generally, and I had a crash to desktop happen to me at the end of one of the Kobago races we did. Other then those really big wrinkles, the private lobby experience has been really good.

IKizzLE

Custom lobbies needs to be added in the future. So it would give folks the ability to browse a set of lobbies(private or public) and join on your own.

I had tons of problems with cars teleporting generally, and I had a crash to desktop happen to me at the end of one of the Kobago races we did. Other then those really big wrinkles, the private lobby experience has been really good.

Yeah you were the only guy I saw teleporting around, just didn't know where you were going to appear next! Dunno if the servers are peer to peer could be due to the distance & packet loss.

I really hope to be invited into a private lobby today with my fellow gaffers. :(

Send me a friend request if I've not already got you, or just send me a message - same plan as last night, the server should be up from around 8pm GMT.

The Skillet flip vid has got 7 negs from only 19 views, impressive!

Screenshot_2015_11_03_14_03_04.png

I think this is the point I realised it was all about to wrong! The 2 cars without names are Ainsz and AnythingBut.

That race we had around Sentralindt was pretty horrible, 12 very competitive drivers with standard rules was a lot more like bumper cars than I expected. I guess the field on normal public races quickly spread out but that didn't really happen.
Yeah on the few races I had last night a lot of people trying to go for the same bit of tarmac.

I think the only difference versus the public is that people have a bit more respect, they know once the tide is turning against them. In other words, people will concede positions rather than just continue to smash into you.

I had a race on Sentralindt reverse that was pretty fun, managed to take a couple of people in my favourite overtaking spots.

Wheelie scoring is a combination of angle and speed. Try to keep at about 45 degrees and go as fast as possible.
I tried to follow your advice and well... I was just wondering if you could implement a new skill zone where you have to pull off a wheelie followed by a stoppie. Thanks.

l41m1m0Pb7XEti6L6.gif

Played a few private lobbies earlier but then couldn't get back in to any, tried rebooting and even a full power down but always got the same error of "Could not connect to players"

Rushy , if you're reading this , i just want you to know that 4 custom option for the looks of your car/bike is not enough.
Please increase the number of customs.. we have so many liveries colors right now and 4 custom choices is not enough.

-Amon-

Rushy , if you're reading this , i just want you to know that 4 custom option for the looks of your car/bike is not enough.
Please increase the number of customs.. we have so many liveries colors right now and 4 custom choices is not enough.

Seconded.

It was mentioned in the last patch notes as a coming soon.

» Extra customisation slots, to help you change between your designs more easily.

Shaneus

I tweeted this to Rushy but hopefully he'll catch it here too: An issue that's been occurring for quite a long time, is that if you use X to change up gears, whenever you skip the intro flyover with the same button it will start you in second gear. Be great if this wasn't the case!

krioto

I tweeted this to Rushy but hopefully he'll catch it here too: An issue that's been occurring for quite a long time, is that if you use X to change up gears, whenever you skip the intro flyover with the same button it will start you in second gear. Be great if this wasn't the case!

Yes, this occurs quite often for me to - I use X and O for gear changes, and if you select X before the races starts, you start in 2nd gear.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Is there a tutorial or something for drifting and using the handbrake for turns? I just can't really figure out how to do it remotely competently. I seem to be utter garbage at sim racers, but I'm liking the PS+ edition. Wouldn't mind buying the rest if I could wrap my head around proper fast turning.

i feel your pain. i couldn't get 3 stars on the first drifting challenge in the starting line tour lol

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Question about this game!

I've got the PS+ edition still and have been playing it a bit. It feels more arcade than GT (which I like), but more sim than your average racer. Is this a fair assessment?

Also, if I want to buy the main game, what do I need to actually buy? The Upgrade is not available anymore apparently. And there's a Season Pass and oodles of addons.

Oh and one more question - if I am only interested in single player racing, is Drive Club actually worth my money? That's a pretty subjective question, but just from a controller with headphones on standpoint, will I get enough out of this game to justify the cost?

I've got the PS+ edition still and have been playing it a bit. It feels more arcade than GT (which I like), but more sim than your average racer. Is this a fair assessment?

Also, if I want to buy the main game, what do I need to actually buy? The Upgrade is not available anymore apparently. And there's a Season Pass and oodles of addons.

Oh and one more question - if I am only interested in single player racing, is Drive Club actually worth my money? That's a pretty subjective question, but just from a controller with headphones on standpoint, will I get enough out of this game to justify the cost?

I don't think you upgrade from the PS+ edition, you just buy the full game.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/games/driveclub/cid=UP9000-CUSA00093_00-XXXXXXXDRIVECLUB

If you have PS+ I think you automatically get a discount on it.

Optionally, you can also purchase the season pass with it. Here's a link to the game + pass bundle

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ndle/cid=UP9000-CUSA00093_00-PSPLUSSEASONPASS

And yes even if you only play SP I'd say there is a massive amount of content, especially with the season pass.

DC has been well worth the money for me as a single player racer. I didn't get the PS+ version, but a retail copy of the game so can't comment on upgrading.
But the base game gives you a fairly large number of tours that increase in difficulty - all of them basically revolve around races, time trials and drift events.

Then there is the season pass, which I personally believe is well worth the money. It gives you tons of new tours and cars (which are all used in the tours). Starting from the Elements tour the game starts throwing rain/snow at you in tours which makes things slightly more difficult at times due to the more slippery handling at times. Difficulty on DLC tours is kinda all over the place, with some being harder than the main game, with others being easier...

Its worth noting that while the extra tours are paid for DLC, the main game gives you new tracks for free (including Japan) so even if you don't get the season pass you still have a nice amount of free stuff to play in single races/online modes.

Then there is the new Bikes DLC which is not part of the season pass, but I think its well worth the money if you enjoyed the rest of the game. It adds much needed diversity in challenges, so rather doing the same old challenges in tours it throws a few new challenge types or new spins on existing challenges (like getting set times in time trials, while also getting a clean lap)

Shaneus

It's totally worth it for single player. I almost entirely race in single player events (both custom and in-built tours) but the ghosts, lap times and other scoring sections offer a solid way of competing without racing directly against someone.

It's a great in-the-zone game, you'll lose time on it for sure, even as a single player.

Wow! Me three.

At least show us the rpm/gear gauge BEFORE the race begins so we can make the correction.
I'm so surprised there are a few of us that rock that combo for changing gears, I thought I was some kind of weirdo. Also a little surprised no-one else mentioned it, I guess we all thought it wasn't worth worrying about.

Maybe I'll create a new club called "X Shifts Up" ;)

krioto

I'm so surprised there are a few of us that rock that combo for changing gears, I thought I was some kind of weirdo. Also a little surprised no-one else mentioned it, I guess we all thought it wasn't worth worrying about.

Maybe I'll create a new club called "X Shifts Up" ;)

Yeah, I think I just got used to it, and schooled myself to not touch X after selecting 'Start event'

Firstly, here's a couple of vids from last night's private server meet.

This was the first race of the night with only 5 of us and a very eclectic mix of cars, yet was very tight...

https://youtu.be/TOcf_mdGbhg

The Atom I like, SKN0 not so much, but another tight race for 2nd place anyway...

https://youtu.be/JDScKb2dJHA

So we kept it pretty simple last night, the only non standard setting we had was dampened collisions so what did you guys think to it?

I had 1 complaint about a driver and I saw 1 retaliation too, were you happy with the racing conduct last night or do you think the rules should be stricter?

Apart from a certain TRP_BUTTON winning every damn race I don't know how the rest of us would've ranked in a league - I felt that Ainsz would've probably been pretty high, and Mango was very strong too on a few tracks, but no-one really made second place theirs.

We also had a surprise visit from an Evo dev who joined us for a few races which was nice :)

So any comments or suggestions? Everyone on tonight and ready to try out some scoring?

kie25

Firstly, here's a couple of vids from last night's private server meet.

This was the first race of the night with only 5 of us and a very eclectic mix of cars, yet was very tight...

https://youtu.be/TOcf_mdGbhg

The Atom I like, SKN0 not so much, but another tight race for 2nd place anyway...

https://youtu.be/JDScKb2dJHA

So we kept it pretty simple last night, the only non standard setting we had was dampened collisions so what did you guys think to it?

I had 1 complaint about a driver and I saw 1 retaliation too, were you happy with the racing conduct last night or do you think the rules should be stricter?

Apart from a certain TRP_BUTTON winning every damn race I don't know how the rest of us would've ranked in a league - I felt that Ainsz would've probably been pretty high, and Mango was very strong too on a few tracks, but no-one really made second place theirs.

We also had a surprise visit from an Evo dev who joined us for a few races which was nice :)

So any comments or suggestions? Everyone on tonight and ready to try out some scoring?

Do you not think it's better with collisions dampened? I think normal is better as people know they need to respect each other then, also slipstream is so much better on reduced, actually requires skill to overtake. I know that the lap limit is going to be raised as it's maximum is 12 now but that was just because it didn't make it in update so hopefully be able to do longer Races soon. I'd like a option so host can pick the cars that people can choose also, again I've mentioned this to Jamie so hopefully it will be possible. And hopefully we can get a previous race results grid order so we can set a TT up then race, to get a proper grid, again I've mentioned this so fingers crossed :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for the info everyone. For $20, I'm going to pick this up today. Seems like a great deal for the amount of content. If I really fall in love with it, I'll grab the bikes, too.

I guess I'll post my PSN ID just in case! nicoga3000

drotahorror

I think 600°, 720° was weird with my wheel. It's not an official wheel though.

720 so that it matches 1:1 with game also because it's been at that since launch so I'm just used to it like that.

Thanks I had tried 900 since that was what my wheel was rated at or w/e. Seemed fine but maybe less is more. I found hyper cars in rain incredibly difficult to handle, my only problem but I figured it was down to just being new with a wheel.

Do you not think it's better with collisions dampened? I think normal is better as people know they need to respect each other then, also slipstream is so much better on reduced, actually requires skill to overtake. I know that the lap limit is going to be raised as it's maximum is 12 now but that was just because it didn't make it in update so hopefully be able to do longer Races soon. I'd like a option so host can pick the cars that people can choose also, again I've mentioned this to Jamie so hopefully it will be possible. And hopefully we can get a previous race results grid order so we can set a TT up then race, to get a proper grid, again I've mentioned this so fingers crossed :)

Thats why I was asking for feedback - ideally I'd like to be able to run a friendly competition without having to get involved in any disputes. If dampened collisions helps achieve that then it's all good by me.

We'll do some tests with the reduced drafting and see how people feel about it.

Last night we were running short races (only 3 laps) but these were fine for the most part as it was pretty rare that you'd have a big collision and need to make up a load of ground (unlike public servers of course). We ran with host choosing and open choice cars and both supplied good racing for the most part, not sure which way we'll go.

Previous race grid order and car choice list sound good to me, hope they bring them in.

Thankfully the random grid worked for me last night which was nice, we did seem to get quite a lot of disconnects between races though, and had to invite people back in a fair bit.

I did find some people had rather wide elbows. It can be tricky, especially with the field so tight. Will probably take some getting used to. At one point we were three abreast and the gap was getting tighter and tighter and I'm thinking my car won't fit in a minute then sure enough I spun out because I was pushed to the barrier on the edge, but really it was my line to keep.

All part of the fun though!

I just laugh off any incident, especially if it wasn't really their fault. I thought it was hilerious when you went flying across the track and back across into my path on Wester Ross, and couldn't help but laugh too on Atlantic Road where I think it was Skillet and AnythingBut colliding, I managed to avoid them but I think you went ploughing right into them behind me.

Also, I think people need to allow for the odd mistake. I was guilty to one of those on Maplewood, came in way too hot on the hairpin and cut Button up a bit, but I knew I did bad so I came off the gas and headed to the outside of the track but he proceeded to ram me off the track.

Not sure that's really required. If someone is ramming, cutting up all race long, no doubt get revenge but one mistake.. bit much, by all means call me a ignoramus and scream at your TV but if you're mad at losing time ramming me isn't going to solve that.

Saw him do it to someone else too.

And anyone notice he gives off like permanent tyre smoke, it's like driving through cloud behind him, not that's he's close enough in front of you for too long :p

drotahorror

Anyone getting the "There has been a problem communicating with Playstation Network...." etc after you do a single player race? The leaderboards and whatnot still update, everything seems to be working ok, except challenges are random.

AMG

Neo Member
Thanks for the info everyone. For $20, I'm going to pick this up today. Seems like a great deal for the amount of content. If I really fall in love with it, I'll grab the bikes, too.

I guess I'll post my PSN ID just in case! nicoga3000
I hope you enjoy it too! For $20 it's a steal!. This is the game that just keeps on giving. I haven't seen anything like this kind of support ever before!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I hope you enjoy it too! For $20 it's a steal!. This is the game that just keeps on giving. I haven't seen anything like this kind of support ever before!

I was under the impression that the pack was going to run me $60+ (admittedly, I didn't look it up before I posted in this thread). $20 is instabuy territory for me. I'm pretty shocked at how cheap this is for PS+ given the amount of content. I'll enjoy it for what it is - I loved GT4 when I played it. I don't even bother with manual trans (which makes me a sinner I know), but I just love driving on tracks with real cars, ha.

hccore

Neo Member
You should be able to. Could you please detail at what point you believe you're blocked from doing so.

when i am offline i got only 2 first sprint tracks for each country,it doens't show up the other tracks, but when connected i have all sprint tracks Available to date.

Denur

The added wheel support for the bikes is great. Not being used to driving / riding with a controller made it too hard for me to like it. One really can't teach an old dog like me new tricks. ;)

People with wheels -

What do you have the wheel rotation set to?
I have it set at 480 (T300RS)

Top Bottom