• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

farmerboy

Private lobbies already!?!?!?

Bloody hell, that came up quick.

EDIT: And the new Elite lvls. I've been daydreaming I have. Shit, better get this update downloaded ASAP.

Just nipped on for a quick test with anything - you don't need to be in a party to chat (obvious really) which overcomes the 8 player party chat limitation but the quality was poor with just two of us in there - hopefully it was just down to one of our Internet connections and nothing else.

Interested to know what the strict rules setting does, I'd defo prefer to race with collisions on if we can do it without grief.

Makikou

Just nipped on for a quick test with anything - you don't need to be in a party to chat (obvious really) which overcomes the 8 player party chat limitation but the quality was poor with just two of us in there - hopefully it was just down to one of our Internet connections and nothing else.

Interested to know what the strict rules setting does, I'd defo prefer to race with collisions on if we can do it without grief.

Damped collisions barely affect the car that is getting hit. Getting rear-ended at 300km/h to a corner isn't *that* bad.

Didn't try Strict penalties. I liked reduced drafting. Amplified is like Superbike draft with cars.

Yea, lobby chat was dire, like listening to wheel tappers and shutters club announcer (old gits will get that).

Can you request a invite to a friends private lobby in game without him/her sending you a inv to it?

Rushy

Out of interest, with the easy tour mode coming - will that just adjust AI for races or will it also adjust time trial times and drift score targets?
Easy Tour difficulty will affect both AI and objectives.

If I buy the standalone bike version can I still run bikes from driveclub like if I had the expansion or only seperate through the bikes games application?
Whether you own DRIVECLUB, BIKES or Both you always play through the DC app and can add the other later if you only own one.

Are the extra bikes tours going to be free?
The upcoming EBR expansion is indeed free for BIKES owners.

krioto

The new elite levels were not too bad at all - I thought I would suck given I've only been playing bikes, but passed all ok. I forgot how tail happy the Lykan is under braking.

The support for this game is immense - big thumbs up to Evolution, and looking forward to the next free(!) tours.

The new elite levels were not too bad at all - I thought I would suck given I've only been playing bikes, but passed all ok. I forgot how tail happy the Lykan is under braking.

The support for this game is immense - big thumbs up to Evolution, and looking forward to the next free(!) tours.
Yeah suffered from the tail sliding out on the DS and Lykan.

Made me realise how light some of the cars can be/heavy the bikes are!

Game crashed on my first go in a private lobby :/ Oh well, I was last anyway :p

Firetrappe

Neo Member
Private lobbies have nice functionality, but I really thought they would be linked to sessions. The game has crashed on a few of us multiple times tonight in lobbies, after a reboot I have to request another invite to be able to rejoin the lobby.

Not sure why we keep getting crashes though. We've had lockups waiting for a track to load meaning the only option we've had is to close the application. Full blue screen crashes seem to happen in the middle of races :(

It unlikely that high end challenges (like venom hot lap and elite levels) with the braking assist will even be possible.

Shouldn't you earmark such high-end challenges? Currently people might be unaware of the fact it isn't possible with the assist on and might become frustrated. Earmarking would alert a user he/she is dealing with a high end challenge and the associated rules for succesful completion. By doing this their expectations will be managed.

Invite system definitely needs changing,hard to choose who's online, a free join or invite only system would be good too so you don't have to keep chucking out invites. A request to join a friends lobby is another one.

Invite system definitely needs changing,hard to choose who's online, a free join or invite only system would be good too so you don't have to keep chucking out invites. A request to join a friends lobby is another one.
Can you not cross-reference the Social Hub or whatever it is called, triangle then right one screen.

Auctopus

As long as they took, Private lobbies seem pretty robust and everything went pretty smoothly for the hour and a half I stayed on. Good fun.

Rushy

Shouldn't you earmark such high-end challenges? Currently people might be unaware of the fact it isn't possible with the assist on and might become frustrated. Earmarking would alert a user he/she is dealing with a high end challenge and the associated rules for succesful completion. By doing this their expectations will be managed.
We already do this, because of the reasons you state :)

At the end of every event we have a clear message stating you will most likely be slower whilst using the assist and might not be able to complete all objectives.

Private lobbies are crashing the app almost constantly for me. In little more than an hour I got error ce-34878-0 six times.

I think there must be a problem on my end because I don't see people online complaining about it, but it's weird because I play Driveclub daily (both off and online) and I haven't had a crash in months until today.

It's frustrating because the implementation of private lobbies in Driveclub seems perfect, has all the relevant options, and playing online with friends is sooooo much better than playing with random people.

Rushy Rustchynsky, as you're active - what defines wheelie scoring? Does angle matter, or just speed?

Also how come bikes have different FAME amounts for the same levels?

Ainsz

Good fun on the private lobbies tonight everyone who took part. A few hiccups with connection problems here and there (Unable to connect at all, getting kicked out, drivers glitching) but overall went pretty smooth.

Surely be on tomorrow for some more!

Rushy

Private lobbies are crashing the app almost constantly for me. In little more than an hour I got error ce-34878-0 six times.
What's your PSN ID? We can check why you're having problems tomorrow.

Rushy Rustchynsky, as you're active - what defines wheelie scoring? Does angle matter, or just speed?

Also how come bikes have different FAME amounts for the same levels?
Wheelie scoring is a combination of angle and speed. Try to keep at about 45 degrees and go as fast as possible.

And they have differing amounts so there is a progression curve, so you unlock more bikes early on but have to work harder to unlock the last few.

Firetrappe

Neo Member

I think there must be a problem on my end because I don't see people online complaining about it, but it's weird because I play Driveclub daily (both off and online) and I haven't had a crash in months until today.

It's frustrating because the implementation of private lobbies in Driveclub seems perfect, has all the relevant options, and playing online with friends is sooooo much better than playing with random people.

I've been having the same issues David, I had it 3 times within an hour. I posted this earlier :

...Not sure why we keep getting crashes though. We've had lockups waiting for a track to load meaning the only option we've had is to close the application. Full blue screen crashes seem to happen in the middle of races :(

Any chance of checking mine too please Paul? PSN ID = Firetrappe.
Apart from the crashes the latest update is brilliant, really looking forward to some clean competitive online racing with friends :)

Wheelie scoring is a combination of angle and speed. Try to keep at about 45 degrees and go as fast as possible.

And they have differing amounts so there is a progression curve, so you unlock more bikes early on but have to work harder to unlock the last few.
Thank you very much. My PSN ID is Davidrick
I was playing with 4 friends, but I was the only one who had so many crashes.

Now I am playing with 3 other friends and I've been able to play 4 straight races without issue. Maybe it's some kind of compatibility problem with one of the guys I played with earlier?

I insist, thank you very much. I love the game, and I think private lobbies it's just what it needed to be perfect. I think you will see an increase in daily players in the near future.

So there are no visual improvements in this last patch? Can you confirm Rushy?
I think colors are a bit more vibrant in the sun and I was playing in Norway earlier and I saw some kind of fog by the side of the mountain that I didn't remember seeing before. Don't know if there really have been improvements or is just my mind playing tricks on me though.

Danlord

Is there anything better/special about it, other then color scheme? I'm not too keen on wasting 50€ on a "regular" DS4 because my R2 doesn't fully register the pressure. A bit of an upgrade wouldn't go amis for PS4's gamepad for sure.

Back on topic; Is one "official" GAF private lobby going to be enough? We might need at least two, occasionally: one for a whole bunch of top 5% DC drivers that post around here (you know who you are!) and one for the rest of us slowpoke mortals. :p

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

The controller is Limited Edition and the difference is that it's the original Grey colour scheme from the PS1 and the PS button uses the coloured PS logo rather than the black/white combo. There is no triangle, circle, x, square pattern on the touchpad like the original anniversary controllers, which is a bummer.

A future update for the bikes I would like to see is more options for leathers specifically being able to control the colours independently of the bike. I much prefer the original MV Augusta colours (red/silver) and it looks great with red & white leathers but but all I can seem to get are red & black, doesn't look half as good. Example of how I want it.

lordxar

Ha fucking ha! Got that damn 63 challenge done!! Now the RUF is next...shit...

Oh damn...didn't post this yet. Immediately sat down and in three tries nailed the VHL too. What a fucking awesome night! Hadn't tried that for months either.

Has no one picked up that this picture seems to show a car in the coming tours?

CS0p_LlUcAAQE6s.png:large

Mixed racing?

https://youtu.be/owu3IYSGMpI

This is the Caterham race from my point of view - incredibly tight with the dampened collision switch so the cars react less to being knocked. Gutted I was leading going into the last sequence, dropped to fifth then snuck into 3Rd on the last bend.

https://youtu.be/h2I2LwpBgLk

Private lobby race on Taapaca, good fun and a rare win for me! Most races I was battling like crazy for 6th or lower.

https://youtu.be/c457mrZP8PQ

Do the Skillet flip ;-)

OK night one could've gone smoother, we had several issues at the start of the night and were on the verge of jacking it in but then things seemed to level out, the server filled up and we had some good (and not so good) races.

The good :-

Plenty of options for collisions, drafting and penalties mean I'm sure we'll be able to find a good balance for the league.

The racing was some of the closest I've ever had with many cars in close attendance, and the slightest mistake often punished by losing several places. Certainly got the blood pumping when you lead a pack with the skill of the guys we had in last night.

I like the grid display, showing who starts where and in what car.

After the first hour or so it seemed very stable, with no hitches and all running well.

The not so good :-

The grid sorting system had a bug where as host I was either first on the grid every race if I selected lobby or last on the grid every race if I picked random (not coincidence when it happens ten races on the trot surely!).

Maki had various connection problems after managing to host the first race, ended up quitting. Ainsz had connection problems for the first 1.5 hours but did seem to stabilise at the end.

Skillet and I both had a bug where the car would rev but not move despite being in gear - Pressing options then resume cleared it.

Skillet had a crash back to the desktop, but that was the only one of those we had all night. We did have it hang on the track loading screen once, but it started once 3 peeps had left.

The invite system uses the challenge menu rather than the social one, the problem is the challenge menu doesn't show whose online so inviting peeps in is a bit of a pain as you open the social menu, see whose there then switch back and scroll down your friends list to find them.

Future improvements :-

As we've talked about previously, I'd love qualifying to be in there for the grid order but I can understand why it's not made it.

Spectator mode appears to be in after a fashion if you quit during the race, be nice to have a full spectator mode for people who join whilst the race is in progress.

OK night one could've gone smoother, we had several issues at the start of the night and were on the verge of jacking it in but then things seemed to level out, the server filled up and we had some good (and not so good) races.

The good :-

Plenty of options for collisions, drafting and penalties mean I'm sure we'll be able to find a good balance for the league.

The racing was some of the closest I've ever had with many cars in close attendance, and the slightest mistake often punished by losing several places. Certainly got the blood pumping when you lead a pack with the skill of the guys we had in last night.

I like the grid display, showing who starts where and in what car.

After the first hour or so it seemed very stable, with no hitches and all running well.

The not so good :-

The grid sorting system had a bug where as host I was either first on the grid every race if I selected lobby or last on the grid every race if I picked random (not coincidence when it happens ten races on the trot surely!).

Maki had various connection problems after managing to host the first race, ended up quitting. Ainsz had connection problems for the first 1.5 hours but did seem to stabilise at the end.

Skillet and I both had a bug where the car would rev but not move despite being in gear - Pressing options then resume cleared it.

Skillet had a crash back to the desktop, but that was the only one of those we had all night. We did have it hang on the track loading screen once, but it started once 3 peeps had left.

The invite system uses the challenge menu rather than the social one, the problem is the challenge menu doesn't show whose online so inviting peeps in is a bit of a pain as you open the social menu, see whose there then switch back and scroll down your friends list to find them.

Future improvements :-

As we've talked about previously, I'd love qualifying to be in there for the grid order but I can understand why it's not made it.

Spectator mode appears to be in after a fashion if you quit during the race, be nice to have a full spectator mode for people who join whilst the race is in progress.

The lower strength collisions worked well in that caterham race, if it was standard i think a few of us might have eater more barrier than we did. I had a couple of ctd's and one hang on the pre-race screen, but like you it started once some had got fed up waiting. Said it myself, maybe a 1-2 lap quali would be a nice addition, but that's just icing for the cake really.

But the invite system really does need changing to having the option to invite to your lobby in the social menu instead of the challenge one. Maybe a group chat might work to make knowing who's in for some racing at that time till (hopefully) it changes.
Tonight when i'm on i'll see who's playing and send a mass message to see if anyone's in for a private lobby...should make it easier/faster to fill it.

Top Bottom