• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Sweep14

Jesus, page 4... Is this game working allready (the servers that is)? I've been avoiding the game for four days.

It's not completely stable but today was the best mp experience DC provided me since its release. Rushy and Evo are close to reach the goal IMHO and that's good news. I think that everything will be sorted by the end of this month.

wouwie

It's not completely stable but today was the best mp experience DC provided me since its release. Rushy and Evo are close to reach the goal IMHO and that's good news. I think that everything will be sorted by the end of this month.

On my end, nothing has improved. Tried today: driver profile statistics haven't loaded once since i got the game, leaderboards timed out due to loss of connection, no ghosts or face-offs in single event time trials and my own times weren't being registered either which basically means that even offline time trial is useless since i can't see my previous lap times. In short, i see no improvement at all, playing mostly at night in EU. Not feeling optimistic about this ever being fixed tbh. But i'm sort of past caring. I'm not even mad about it. I feel sorry for Evolution and hope they can continue making games (Pacific Rift was such a great game). What has surprised me in this is the complete lack of communication from publisher Sony though.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah things have not improved for me at all unfortunately, randomly the face ooffs will work, then a few minutes later I'm disconnected. leaderboards rarely load, challenges flat out haven't worked, etc. Its too bad because the driving model is really great, but this franchise is DOA

One star missing in the career. That last time trial is no joke but I am getting close.

There is a lot wrong with the game and I get now why reviews were overly harsh... Doesn't change the fact that it's a ton of fun. In fact the best arcade racer I have played in a long time. It's emberrassing that the game released in this state after a 1 year delay but I hope they will fix everything over time.

Challenges should have come before mp. This game currently is broken for 225 star players.

KalBalboa

Banned

Yeah, I played last night for a while and it was pretty much smooth sailing. Although, challenges still weren't available for me.

Gestault

Something I'd love to see in the future: Other Sony racing franchises like GT having "guest appearances" by some fan-favorite tracks from Driveclub, remade by those game's teams.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Havent been able to load my statistics a single time since I got the game on launch..

same here :(. the defense force is strong here for some reason, evo failed in a big way here. Im not as perturbed as some, but im definitely disappointed. the fact that some people are surprised about people being mad is sad though.

I can get into my club fine, but leaderboards haven't worked for me for a week, it's crazy. Sucks losing all those good times apparently into the ether. The other amazing thing is that I can't even load my driver statistics and never have been able to.

Things that bothered me in my playthrough other than the obvious broken online:

- Collision and corner penalties are nice ideas but they don't work in the current form and are 90% annoying and 10% useful. Especially corner penalties are implemented horribly. This becomes apparent in the later parts of the game. So driving ideal line in some corners is a penalty... ok. Also the game is giving out corner penalties in Drift events. Think about that for a second.

- Manual transmission still sucks in this game. Just let me downshift properly for fucks sake. I ALWAYS use MT in every racing game but had to switch to auto to be more competitive.

- The FOV in cockpit view is a joke. This might be playable with a wheel, but it's just bad with a controller. I am used to driving cockpit view, but the implementation in Drive Club is just bad. The same applied for pretty much all the other "in car" views. Bumper cam is good to drive, but it's so low that it becomes impossible to see anything in races.
As it stands 3rd person view is the best. I get that this is an arcade racer, but this still sucks.

- Drift events are fun but also kind of broken. The way the game forces you to drift to get 3 stars has nothing to do with how to drift. Many times it's best to hold the drift as long as possible and just crash into a barrier. The game does not reward proper drifting.

- Unlock system is bad. I have finished the career with 224 stars and did not get to try cars like the Zonda-R. God bless stupid club levels.

- Lack of replays is almost inexcusable. I know it's coming but WTF.

- Some of the career events included hyper cars driving over extremely narrow tracks. Terrible idea. It's a clusterfuck offline and will be even worse online.

- Online racing is mostly a nightmare with the current penalty system.

- Tour mode was very low on content.

There is more but I think that's enough for now. Fortunately some of that stuff is actually easy to fix so maybe it will happen.

Things that bothered me in my playthrough other than the obvious broken online:

- Collision and corner penalties are nice ideas but they don't work in the current form and are 90% annoying and 10% useful. Especially corner penalties are implemented horribly. This becomes apparent in the later parts of the game. So driving ideal line in some corners is a penalty... ok. Also the game is giving out corner penalties in Drift events. Think about that for a second.

- Manual transmission still sucks in this game. Just let me downshift properly for fucks sake. I ALWAYS use MT in every racing game but had to switch to auto to be more competitive.

- The FOV in cockpit view is a joke. This might be playable with a wheel, but it's just bad with a controller. I am used to driving cockpit view, but the implementation in Drive Club is just bad. The same applied for pretty much all the other "in car" views. Bumper cam is good to drive, but it's so low that it becomes impossible to see anything in races.
As it stands 3rd person view is the best. I get that this is an arcade racer, but this still sucks.

- Drift events are fun but also kind of broken. The way the game forces you to drift to get 3 stars has nothing to do with how to drift. Many times it's best to hold the drift as long as possible and just crash into a barrier. The game does not reward proper drifting.

- Unlock system is bad. I have finished the career with 224 stars and did not get to try cars like the Zonda-R. God bless stupid club levels.

- Lack of replays is almost inexcusable. I know it's coming but WTF.

- Some of the career events included hyper cars driving over extremely narrow tracks. Terrible idea. It's a clusterfuck offline and will be even worse online.

- Online racing is mostly a nightmare with the current penalty system.

There is more but I think that's enough for now. Fortunately some of that stuff is actually easy to fix so maybe it will happen.
Penalties do as you say become more strict the higher up the difficulty you go (so the latter events in Tour). I think that's fine really, but it can be easy to trigger a collision one as the speed differential threshold seems to be a lot lower in Legend. Corner penalties though certainly do not come up on the racing line that is for sure. There are four corners I can think of where it is easy to hit them just off of racing line and thus it can be very easy to be nudged into them, especially online, but you just need to be aware of that.

Drift events also have Speed Zones, so you still need the penalties otherwise you could banzai a corner and get a whopping Speed Zone score even if it seems stupid to get one when you're drifting as you'll be screwing up your drift by going off road.

I don't see how the unlock system is bad for locking cars behind a club level. I'd prefer it without, as I'm not one for club stuff but I understand that the game is about clubs and therefore something worthwhile need to be given to clubs as progression rewards.

Finished the Legend Trophy. Managed to get all stars for the first 2 races on the first goes, but the last race required 2 restarts. I managed to get both stars for that too.

So yes, the game's "story" over if you will. I probably won't bother with all the stars. I have 175/225.

I'm not an online player so I guess I'll wait till free DLC hits before I play this again.

Overall it's the 2nd most fun I've had on PS4 after Fez. Though I agree that it isn't a life changer, but then we're talking about semi-sim racing here. How life changing can you get?

Becomes the 4th racing game I've finished, joining the likes of CTR, Burnout Legends PSP and Ridge Racer PSP.

One possible itch it has given me is to give GT6 a whirl.

I see this a lot and I *think* I know what people mean but I'm not really sure. So I have to ask, compared to what?

When I think of racing game career modes there are usually only a handful of event types (races, drifts, championships, sometimes time trials), put against each track and class combination. Most careers feel exactly like a checklist.

I think of Forza 5 with its different event types - which come down to a selection of cars repeating the same tracks. Or GT5 with its races and coffee breaks and the hill climb. Or something like NFS: Rivals which has a few race types and not that many events overall.

So yeah, it almost sounds right to say its lacking, but then I think about it and wonder just what its being compared to.

In my first three online races, I placed 2, 3, and 1st. That was fun, and I'm definitely excited for more. Other than a few pricks slamming into people, I managed to really enjoy the experience. I can't wait to do a team race!

New real life gif.
If real life had stuck on rear view mirrors.

wpesyj.gif

Might need a new windscreen.

Gestault

Road rage AI

I don't like AI that needlessly harasses the player at the expense of its own ability to win the race. This is something I simply don't understand how it got implemented in a game where there are line and impact violations. It's like half of the team wasn't communicating with the other.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
You know what? Fuck this god damn turd.

I tried to give it a fair shake. Preordered digitally day one. Tried it sporadically for the first 2 weeks and never was able to hold a connection to the server. Fired it back up at the beginning of the week and was finally able to connect to the servers. That's great. I haven't joined a club or anything, the challenges don't seem to ever be available, and I don't do multiplayer so being connected to the servers is basically useless for me. No big deal.

I was having a pretty decent time with the Tour in offline mode. I breeze though the rookie stages pretty easily. Towards the end of the rookie tour I started noticing the absolutely braindead AI. Couple of bumps here and there that I'm magically penalized for. Cool. Got done with Rookie tour and headed on to Amateur. AI's brains have turned to liquid shit. These fucksticks are bouncing me around like a pinball. I'm doing my best to 'race pure' but no matter what I do these shit pickles find a way to ram me, spin me out in corners, or run me into walls. All the while I GET NEGATIVE POINTS FOR THESE KNUCKLEFUCKS RUNNING INTO ME..

This along with the fucking awful rubberbanding is making the game very un-enjoyable for me. I fucking hate racing with these shit for brains. The only time I ever have fun with this giant turd anymore is when I'm doing time trials or anything that doesn't have other cars with shit for brains drivers in them.

FUCKKKK

Penalties do as you say become more strict the higher up the difficulty you go (so the latter events in Tour). I think that's fine really, but it can be easy to trigger a collision one as the speed differential threshold seems to be a lot lower in Legend. Corner penalties though certainly do not come up on the racing line that is for sure. There are four corners I can think of where it is easy to hit them just off of racing line and thus it can be very easy to be nudged into them, especially online, but you just need to be aware of that.

Drift events also have Speed Zones, so you still need the penalties otherwise you could banzai a corner and get a whopping Speed Zone score even if it seems stupid to get one when you're drifting as you'll be screwing up your drift by going off road.

I don't see how the unlock system is bad for locking cars behind a club level. I'd prefer it without, as I'm not one for club stuff but I understand that the game is about clubs and therefore something worthwhile need to be given to clubs as progression rewards.

I guess you're right that the speed zones could be abused without corner penalties... It was still funny that the game gave me stupid penalties while fighting for drift points.

I see this a lot and I *think* I know what people mean but I'm not really sure. So I have to ask, compared to what?

When I think of racing game career modes there are usually only a handful of event types (races, drifts, championships, sometimes time trials), put against each track and class combination. Most careers feel exactly like a checklist.

I think of Forza 5 with its different event types - which come down to a selection of cars repeating the same tracks. Or GT5 with its races and coffee breaks and the hill climb. Or something like NFS: Rivals which has a few race types and not that many events overall.

So yeah, it almost sounds right to say its lacking, but then I think about it and wonder just what its being compared to.

Subjectively Tour Mode just felt very short to me. It was fun but I pretty much breezed through. Why not include some longer races (endurance?) and play more with the dynamic lighting system? Felt like wasted potential to me.

Tour mode was probably never the focus, but of course it gets more attention when the supposed meat of the game (online) does not work.

I found that with the exception of only a couple of events that took learning the course first, you can drive away from the AI pack and spend time in open space 2nd or 3rd then pick a moment to get to 1st, if that is what you want for all stars.

In other words if you're in the AI pack you're not driving very well, or picked the wrong car for the track. In that case you would not be driving well enough for any online stuff anyway.

p3n

This along with the fucking awful rubberbanding is making the game very un-enjoyable for me.

So you'd rather prefer the AI always gave 100% and leaves you behind? Wouldn't that frustrate you even more? At least they can't go faster than an average human player with the same car could.

Shadybiz

Okay was able to connect to some multiplayer matches after a couple days of not being able to at all, so progress. One of the races I did was kinda frustrating; total bumper cars, but the others were not so bad. I think once this game's out for awhile, the morons will kinda clear out.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I found that with the exception of only a couple of events that took learning the course first, you can drive away from the AI pack and spend time in open space 2nd or 3rd then pick a moment to get to 1st, if that is what you want for all stars.

In other words if you're in the AI pack you're not driving very well, or picked the wrong car for the track. In that case you would not be driving well enough for any online stuff anyway.

I have restarted these tracks multiple times. I feel that I know them pretty well. I know when the turns are coming and when I need to brake. Problem is when I do brake or try to take the right line in a corner some douchenozzle AI comes and plows me. I can't believe you are defending bad AI by saying I just shouldn't be near them. LMAO

Shadybiz

I have restarted these tracks multiple times. I feel that I know them pretty well. I know when the turns are coming and when I need to brake. Problem is when I do brake or try to take the right line in a corner some douchenozzle AI comes and plows me. I can't believe you are defending bad AI by saying I just shouldn't be near them. LMAO

I definitely agree that there is rubberbanding to a degree. The best (worst) is when you hit a straightaway, and a car that's a reasonable distance behind you just fuckin' whizzes right by you when you're running a good lap and you're in a car that accelerates out of straightaways better than theirs. It's annoying.

I think that IF the replay feature becomes available, it will be easier to show stuff like that going on.

Chabbles

Theres no rubberbanding in this, just like KZ ShadowFall had dedicated servers ;)

Try and win a race in this without being able to see 2nd place car behind you, regardless of how perfect a lap you do, its impossible. Im having alot of fun in this either way, once the driven clicks it gets much better.

Kumubou

Theres no rubberbanding in this, just like KZ ShadowFall had dedicated servers ;)

Try and win a race in this without being able to see 2nd place car behind you, regardless of how perfect a lap you do, its impossible. Im having alot of fun in this either way, once the driven clicks it gets much better.
Uh, I've done this several times -- on Legend. There are definitely AI adjustments that happen once you get ahead or fall behind, but if you are going fast enough and driving well enough, you will leave the AI behind.

viveks86

Uh, I've done this several times -- on Legend. There are definitely AI adjustments that happen once you get ahead or fall behind, but if you are going fast enough and driving well enough, you will leave the AI behind.

Same here. It's fascinating to see the confidence with which those claims are made.

Games been out for 2 weeks and I have not seen anyone post any proof of this unfair rubberbanding with slower cars passing the player on a straightaway. Im starting to think people are just using that word as a scapegoat to express their frustration at losing a race.

Hoje0308

Banned
Games been out for 2 weeks and I have not seen anyone post any proof if this unfair rubberbanding with slower cars passing the player on a straightaway. Im starting to think people are just using that word as a scapegoat to express their frustration at losing a race.

Yep, interesting that they never record the race when the rubberbanding is so obvious. Set your PS4 to capture the last 15 minutes and then lets see how well the people complaining of unfair AI are actually driving. I'm picturing poor lines and slow exit speeds.

Chabbles

Can you prove it ?, hit share button and save a vid of you crossing the finish line (decent straight leading u to it) with no sight of the AI behind (hold R3 going past the finish line to look back), maybe its possible.. i've played a fair bit and have yet to totally annihilate the AI.. You can leave them behind alrite, but even if you drive flawlessly they'll still catch up.. im not complaining though, it works well for the most part.

dano1

A Sheep
Yep, interesting that they never record the race when the rubberbanding is so obvious. Set your PS4 to capture the last 15 minutes and then lets see how well the people complaining of unfair AI are actually driving. I'm picturing poor lines and slow exit speeds.

Yep. That's how they pass me:)

There was already a video article posted last thread about the dynamic AI and how little rubberbanding there is, basically just if you fall well behind they drop the pace. Main thing is they don't magically catch up to you as if they hit a turbo button.

Something I'd love to see in the future: Other Sony racing franchises like GT having "guest appearances" by some fan-favorite tracks from Driveclub, remade by those game's teams.

That's actually a brilliant idea.
Shows some love to those who enjoy the tracks as well as reuses the great work already done.

While the AI is not good, it's certainly one of the smaller problems I have with the game. And yes, it is possible to escape it but only with certains cars. (Such as the Hennessy)

Shadybiz

And that's my definition of rubberbanding, though I understand that it varies person to person. Speed up a bit when you're doing well, slow down a bit when you're behind so you can catch up, that's how I interpret it. But hey, sometimes it benefits you, so it's not like I'm 100% against it.

Games been out for 2 weeks and I have not seen anyone post any proof of this unfair rubberbanding with slower cars passing the player on a straightaway. Im starting to think people are just using that word as a scapegoat to express their frustration at losing a race.

Nah, still won. It still shouldn't have happened though. I'm still not quite used to having a Share button :). It was when I was going for the Pro cup just tonight. To be fair, before that, I hadn't really seen any blatant examples, but this one was pretty obvious.

And that's my definition of rubberbanding, though I understand that it varies person to person. Speed up a bit when you're doing well, slow down a bit when you're behind so you can catch up, that's how I interpret it. But hey, sometimes it benefits you, so it's not like I'm 100% against it.

Nah, still won. It still shouldn't have happened though. I'm still not quite used to having a Share button :). It was when I was going for the Pro cup just tonight. To be fair, before that, I hadn't really seen any blatant examples, but this one was pretty obvious.
Maybe it was some fluke bug or something. I just don't know why it has not happened to me yet. I'm level 46 so I have done quite a number of races. The only time I see something like that is when an Ariel Atom blows past me when I'm in my BAC or something.

Edit: considering the Ariel Atom is in the pro cup, are you sure thats not what happened? Because you can be 3 seconds in front of that thing and it will pass you on a straightaway.

kyser73

Rubber banding is when the AI gets a speed boost outside the cars normal performance to keep up/overtake you.

As said, if it was an Atom they basically out accelerate anything in the game - I've been monstered by them on the Norway track in the Lightweight challenge on the uphill into the tunnel so many times it's not even funny.

EGOMON

Wow I just remapped some of the buttons and that changed my driving style!
I even got better at drifting I remapped the e-brakes to square and looking back to X it made my driving a lot better since I constantly look back pushing R3 was a bit sluggish but now I feel I have control over the car.

Edit: The BAC Mono is a freakin rocket dat acceleration is insane good thing it have a low end top speed otherwise it would have been OP

torontoml

Think I've got to do some more time trials, the few I've done I seem to end up in the top 10 for that car. Just need to get those higher level hyper cars to see if I can get the top 10 for all cars.

Top Bottom