• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Been banned for a week. Picked this up second day of my ban. It's been amazing. The game is addictive, and now that I'm seeing head to heads pop up more often, it's taken on a whole new persona. I love it.

Gafclub ftw.

viveks86

Are lobbies randomized after each race?

I don't think it is by design, but it ends up doing that if people drop off/get kicked out, which has been happening a lot. So many people rage quit and leave the race half way through if they find themselves spinning out or in the bottom half of the grid. Forces the game to resynchronize so that the following race isn't empty

le-seb

I don't think it is by design, but it ends up doing that if people drop off/get kicked out, which has been happening a lot. So many people rage quit and leave the race half way through if they find themselves spinning out or in the bottom half of the grid. Forces the game to resynchronize so that the following race isn't empty
Yup, that's basically what happened to me last night: first race was really nice, but second one featured some ramming monkey that made me spin in the first ten seconds of play. Burnout not being the game I was playing, I quit immediately, and I won't even try to play some MP again until there's some kind of private lobbies to prevent assholes from spoiling my racing game. Fix this shit Gorilla!

Really dissapointed you can't change the controls so that you steer with the right stick and accelerate and brake with the left. I always use this configuration with the the Gran Turismo games.

Something for a patch?

Psyclone

So. I have had this game on preorder and have been playing since launch (UK). Here are my thoughts:

- Let's get this one out of the way: the IQ is fantastic. I haven't really seen lighting like this anywhere (infamous SS comes to mind though). Car models look excellent (both exterior and interior), tracks are well designed and all the work put into time of day depiction through the crazy light refraction tech Rushy spoke about really shows.

- AI issues that people seem to complain from haven't been very prominent during my experience with the game. Having someone overtake me on the final stretch of a track is ok. I blame myself for keeping a straight line and allowing the car behind to get into my car's draft zone.

- On difficulty, I have all stars but one (venom hot lap obviously). Currently at Level 41 (or 42) and club level 21. The tour does provide an adequate level of difficulty (I'm looking at you drift events' learning curve!)

- Online has been an issue obviously, with disconnections from lobbies, absence of the challenges section and iffy leaderboards. It's getting better though.

I'm currently grinding those accolades and enjoying it so far. I am slightly worried content-wise. Will a couple of new events and cars every month keep up my interest in the game? Do I get the season pass now or wait? Not really a massive photomode fan but definitely looking forward to the weather update.

All in all, I haven't had this much fun with a racing game since forza horizon 1. Without wanting to derail this thread: does anyone here own both DC and FH2? Simply which do you prefer and why?

Finally feel free to add me
Psn: mdaghlas
Club: GAFShakinChass
Region: EU UK

Happy driving gaf :)

le-seb

so what do you think, which car is best to handle ?
Depends on what you mean with 'best to handle'.

Some cars are a treat to throw into corners, some will keep stuck to the track, some are beasts to master.
All are 'best to handle' in their kinds, and it really depends on what you're looking after.

I'm loving the Lotus Evora and BAC Mono myself, and the RUF are slowly growing on me.
Will stay away from the Ariel Atom, though.

madp0k

If anyone is on could they do a leaderboard check for me please?

Ferrari California - Sentraltind (Norway) - madpsych0killer - 3rd or 4th ?

I think my new time should be 1.31.4xx ,just want to see if it updated my time after I went to bed :(

Number45

I haven't played this online yet so perhaps it has it - but is there a way you can race online with what would be essentially live ghosts? So you could have it setup like a time trial, but you see live data for the other people competing against you?

I'd love something like that.

I haven't played this online yet so perhaps it has it - but is there a way you can race online with what would be essentially live ghosts? So you could have it setup like a time trial, but you see live data for the other people competing against you?

I'd love something like that.

When you race time trials it puts up 3 ghosts for you. I think two are you and one other is another player.

le-seb

When you race time trials it puts up 3 ghosts for you. I think two are you and one other is another player.
I think it's the other way around (one is yours, two are other players).
I've only witnessed it working sporadically, so not sure how it's working exactly (i.e. are you constantly challenged with new ghosts during a lap when you left others behind, or is this only refreshed on a lap/race level?).

Goldrusher

If anyone is on could they do a leaderboard check for me please?

Ferrari California - Sentraltind (Norway) - madpsych0killer - 3rd or 4th ?

I think my new time should be 1.31.4xx ,just want to see if it updated my time after I went to bed :(

1. 1:30.404 armadinho
  2. 1:30.851 rebiubiu
  3. 1:31.835 Cow1000
  4. 1:31.923 madpsych0killer

iblGJK81IhkWHi.jpg

Turkoop

Banned
Depends on what you mean with 'best to handle'.

Some cars are a treat to throw into corners, some will keep stuck to the track, some are beasts to master.
All are 'best to handle' in their kinds, and it really depends on what you're looking after.

I'm loving the Lotus Evora and BAC Mono myself, and the RUF are slowly growing on me.
Will stay away from the Ariel Atom, though.
For me is the RUF terrible
It breaks in curves very quickly

madp0k

1. 1:30.404 armadinho
  2. 1:30.851 rebiubiu
  3. 1:31.835 Cow1000
  4. 1:31.923 madpsych0killer

Thanks fella, your a star :)

Yep that annoys the tits off me, I love the game and I would be slightly less bothered about the online being flaky if it saved your TT times locally and then updated the boards when it synced. Is it really too much to ask to get a fully functioning leaderboard? Fuck my life, even ubisoft managed it with trials.

Please Rushy can you get this stuff workling soon, it just sucks the fun out of a really enjoyable racer :(

Philly40

I think it's the other way around (one is yours, two are other players).
I've only witnessed it working sporadically, so not sure how it's working exactly (i.e. are you constantly challenged with new ghosts during a lap when you left others behind, or is this only refreshed on a lap/race level?).

I've only had it work a few times also, but I think one ghost is your best time, one is the player one position above you in the leaderboard, and the other is the top of the leaderboard.

v1ncelis

So I just got 'Credit where it's due' trophy. Any word on when Evo will release challenges in to the wild? In two weeks I saw challenges screen only once and only for a minute or so until it showed error message.

Garryk

Knocked out the last few stars yesterday to get to 225. Feeling good about myself considering my pedigree consists only of Need for Speed titles and little bit of Horizon 1.

Now all I need them to do is turn on challenges so I can finish up the trophies.

Challenges need to start working soon. For now, I feel like I'm treading water while I wait to be challenged by them. I hope it happens soon, but who knows.

OmegaDL50

I think it'd only look bad to people that don't understand that different teams work on different parts of the game.

I know, it's like people expect the guys hired as artists that do art or the sound guys that work on the audio are totally expected to drop what they were hired to do and provide completely unqualified assistance to the networking staff.

Imagine that.

I don't think that patent would have any bearing on this. These drivers allow for input from generic USB HIDs. So as long as the device supports the generic standard and the game is written to handle input from generic devices, it's not really going to care about the brand of the device you're plugging in. IIRC that patent licensing issue was because it needed to be licensed for each platform it was authored to be used on... but this would be using the wheel's generic PC USB support, which should sidestep that issue.

I've addressed a similar issue in another topic about this. Not every steering wheel on the market which was uses a basic USB HID driver includes force feedback or rumble technology patented by Immersion.

Another example of this licensing nonsense not being applicable to Fighting Game Arcade sticks which don't use any sort of rumble.

So it's really about Sony not implementing a more flexible USB HID driver rather than Immersion patents preventing most wheel and peripheral support being limited on the PS4.

lordxar

I'd be perfectly content if they just fix the leaderboards. The MP worked a lot better last night but the ramming aholes can't be patched out. So I focused on drifting one track with different cars. I had a top ten score several times but was stuck at 37 because the fkn thing wouldn't update. Oh well, I need to focus on my driving mechanics and not worry about getting a high score while plowing into everything.

dano1

A Sheep
I'd be perfectly content if they just fix the leaderboards. The MP worked a lot better last night but the ramming aholes can't be patched out. So I focused on drifting one track with different cars. I had a top ten score several times but was stuck at 37 because the fkn thing wouldn't update. Oh well, I need to focus on my driving mechanics and not worry about getting a high score while plowing into everything.

Yeah I'm kind of holding off until they get the leaderboards working. Does anyone know if your times on the system will ever sync with the online leaderboards?

cakely

Picked this up last night and played about six events.

It's an amazing-looking game and I like the way it controls, it reminds me of PGR2 and that's a very good thing.

Based on this thread I didn't even bother fooling around with any online components, I'll wait until things get cleaned up.

Sp33Demon

For me is the RUF terrible
It breaks in curves very quickly

By Category
- Audi A1 Quattro
- Lotus Evora S
- Ferrari California or Maserati Gran Turismo MC (didn't experiment much)
- BAC Mono but Ferrari 458 Italia works as a backup. Savage works good for one challenge.
- Zonda is steady but fell in love with Venom GT's rawness and sounds awesome.

Haven't unlocked any cars above level 33 personal and club level 18

Yeah I'm kind of holding off until they get the leaderboards working. Does anyone know if your times on the system will ever sync with the online leaderboards?

It seems completely random. Sometimes they sync in a few minutes, sometimes a few hours and sometimes never at all. I haven't been playing either while I wait for them to function at least somewhat as intended.

Unlocked the Legend Trophy race.

Came down to just whittling stars that I hadn't got from drifts. I tried to nab some frron the cart race but that shit was ridiculous in handling.

After I finish 1st in Legend I'll probably stop playing. It's been good fun tbh.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Hmm, I have not seen any sort of player driven reputation system. If we had something like that it might work.

Welp, I gave it a fair amount of time. I've gone as far as I can in the Tour mode and all I want to do is Club and Challenge stuff and that's all still not working.

Anyone have the phone number for Sony support to get a refund? Anything I need to say in particular to get the refund? I bought it digitally on the PSN store, day one.

OmegaDL50

Hmm, I have not seen any sort of player driven reputation system. If we had something like that it might work.

I'm not so sure about this. Even with the Penalties in place for collisions doesn't deter online players from not properly racing clean.

Unless they start to deduct experience from your Club or Career progression, but then this might incite more aggressive player behavior to intentionally cause others to lose progress.

There is no fix for people being assholes.

They need to apply the fix to include private lobbies so clean racing rooms can actually happen. Public with randoms is always going to be a cesspool with no way to control what goes on in a regardless of penalties or reputation.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm not so sure about this. Even with the Penalties in place for collisions doesn't deter online players from not properly racing clean.

Unless they start to deduct experience from your Club or Career progression, but then this might incite more aggressive player behavior to intentionally cause others to lose progress.

There is no fix for people being assholes.

They need to apply the fix to include private lobbies so clean racing rooms can actually happen. Public with randoms is always going to be a cesspool with no way to control what goes on in a regardless of penalties or reputation.

They would just need to add an option to only drive with non-bumpable ghosts instead of bumpable cars for the MP match making.

Not that hard, Evo.

Online races have been amazing for me the last hour. One race after the other without getting disconnected. I hope connectivity will remain this stable. The races themselves are a mixed bag. When you are in front of the pack joined by a couple of other competetive drivers who give each other room when needed it is driving heaven. When you are caught up in a bumber car crowd it is frustating as hell. I even rage quited once when i was in second place and a driver of the same team ran me of the road on a straight with enough room for clean passing. Back to racing now.....

Top Bottom