• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Phreak47

Somebody is about to try out the t300rs + wheelstand pro... oh my. Let the games finally begin.

4VJhGrm.jpg

Phreak47

Am so jealous right now, enjoy it man.
Just 1 question does it come with all that setup i mean the base and the steering wheel bars?

It's the T300RS wheel (with stock pedals that come with it) and the Wheelstand Pro

Just tried it for a few minutes and I'm going right back. It's fucking awesome. I never made a proper living room setup for a wheel before. I will be driving a LOT this gen.

Got the wheel from Newegg. They have it in stock. Amazon still does not.

viveks86

Man the online races are so much more fun with club mates. Good games, guys. We won quite a bit! Still need to figure out how not to lose control when people clip me! :D

Stability was decent. Got booted 6-8 times. Did around 20 races. Lag was infrequent.

Missed you, Gaz and Khalifa!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
1st to 9th in 6 seconds.
2014-10-2419_41_54mpaaa.gif

I am rather jealous at you guys experiencing races like this. I cant for the live of me put down good times if I am not playing in 3rd person view.

p3n

Can you prove it ?, hit share button and save a vid of you crossing the finish line (decent straight leading u to it) with no sight of the AI behind (hold R3 going past the finish line to look back), maybe its possible.. i've played a fair bit and have yet to totally annihilate the AI.. You can leave them behind alrite, but even if you drive flawlessly they'll still catch up.. im not complaining though, it works well for the most part.

It can be done even with very low top speed, here you go: http://youtu.be/5ehdmNuEiW8?t=4m50s

If you watch the whole race you can see that I am gaining a steady 2 seconds per lap - even with shitty lines because I have to use a controller.

QaaQer

It's the T300RS wheel (with stock pedals that come with it) and the Wheelstand Pro

Just tried it for a few minutes and I'm going right back. It's fucking awesome. I never made a proper living room setup for a wheel before. I will be driving a LOT this gen.

& for those not willing to spend more than $100, the t80 is great fun. I can't go back to a controller.

A warning tho, the first one I had would on!y open the throttle up to 95%. I lost every race and started hating the game until I figured that out, then I hated TM.

I couldn't go back to a controller tho and missed the game terribly, so I bought another, and my 2nd and t80 is great. Highly recommended for those on a budget, just make sure it works! I'm looking forward to snagging a fantec v2 base and one of the cool add-on wheels in the future, and maybe a vr thing eventually. I want to drive some rallies in vr, I hope we see some Dirt games in the future.

EGOMON

Alright thanks man

I am rather jealous at you guys experiencing races like this. I cant for the live of me put down good times if I am not playing in 3rd person view.
Hi Toma long time no seen bro.
I feel the same way I like the dash view but i can't race fast other than the 3rd person view I sometimes switch to dash cam on the straights just to feel the immersion but go back to car view when approache a corner

Wow I just remapped some of the buttons and that changed my driving style!
I even got better at drifting I remapped the e-brakes to square and looking back to X it made my driving a lot better since I constantly look back pushing R3 was a bit sluggish but now I feel I have control over the car.

Edit: The BAC Mono is a freakin rocket dat acceleration is insane good thing it have a low end top speed otherwise it would have been OP
Once you learn to have faith in how it will turn in and stick at nearly any speed you want it to that car is like a cheat code online.

Shadybiz

Maybe it was some fluke bug or something. I just don't know why it has not happened to me yet. I'm level 46 so I have done quite a number of races. The only time I see something like that is when an Ariel Atom blows past me when I'm in my BAC or something.

Edit: considering the Ariel Atom is in the pro cup, are you sure thats not what happened? Because you can be 3 seconds in front of that thing and it will pass you on a straightaway.

Hmm, that MAY be the case. I was in a BAC myself; I'd have to get a look at what the back of the Atom looks like to be sure; will do that after work today. But yeah either way, it's still not a big issue for me because I'm still in 1st consistently, just saying that I think it's there just a little bit.

Yep, interesting that they never record the race when the rubberbanding is so obvious. Set your PS4 to capture the last 15 minutes and then lets see how well the people complaining of unfair AI are actually driving. I'm picturing poor lines and slow exit speeds.

I'll make one next time I'm playing the game. I didn't know the issue of road rage Motorstorm AI with rubberbading was up for contention so didn't bother capturing it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Alright thanks man

Hi Toma long time no seen bro.
I feel the same way I like the dash view but i can't race fast other than the 3rd person view I sometimes switch to dash cam on the straights just to feel the immersion but go back to car view when approache a corner

Haha, hey :) I've been seeing more older GAF acquaintances in the recent OTs, kinda funky. And yep, its been a while since DoS, really glad I managed to let go of it though =p

It can be done even with very low top speed, here you go: http://youtu.be/5ehdmNuEiW8?t=4m50s

If you watch the whole race you can see that I am gaining a steady 2 seconds per lap - even with shitty lines because I have to use a controller.

Driving a twisty circuit with the BAC vs cars that don't also weigh less than a bar of chocolate or have endless grip/acceleration isn't really the right way to prove that IMO.

The BACs prowess through the corners eliminates any real competition in that race.

thelastword

Banned
Somebody is about to try out the t300rs + wheelstand pro... oh my. Let the games finally begin.

4VJhGrm.jpg
Looks like it fits just fine, well I have my driving force gt on my wheel stand pro as we speak. It would be dandy if a cheap t80 would also fit as well....unless the wheels are different of course. The g27 could not fit on the wheel stand pro designed for the DFGT as an example....

dano1

A Sheep

I'm forcing myself to get good at one of the in car views. When the weather finally hits I want to see the rain on the windshield and of course the perfectly modeled wipers:)

Try the top of the dash cam if you can't do the standard in car view. You can see more of the track.
It just takes practice.

EGOMON

Haha, hey :) I've been seeing more older GAF acquaintances in the recent OTs, kinda funky. And yep, its been a while since DoS, really glad I managed to let go of it though =p

Yeah that game was so addicting it ruined my life XD
After DoS i got hooked by Ace Combat Infinity for like 4 months i didn't want to let go but work load forced me to, now am alternating between Diablo 3 and DC but mostly DC.
Good to see you around :)

QaaQer

I'll make one next time I'm playing the game. I didn't know the issue of road rage Motorstorm AI with rubberbading was up for contention so didn't bother capturing it.

you'll need to record more than just a car going past you, get the last couple of corners as well so people can see if you are at speed and taking proper (i.e. fast) lines.

IISANDERII

I'm already racing in the Hyper Car categories but just unlocked the Ferrari Italia 458, WTF? I'm already passed 458's category so I don't need it anymore. Is the progression in this game busted too?

kyser73

I'm already racing in the Hyper Car categories but just unlocked the Ferrari Italia 458, WTF? I'm already passed 458's category so I don't need it anymore. Is the progression in this game busted too?

Have you been gunning for progression rather than levelling up? Cars & driver level are unlocked by fame points, so if you've been romping through the races you're fame might be lagging your progress.

dannethmps

Neo Member
If anyone is looking for another driver let me know my club is pretty inactive...

Currently nearly level 42 and 225/225

PSN: mpsdanneth

you'll need to record more than just a car going past you, get the last couple of corners as well so people can see if you are at speed and taking proper (i.e. fast) lines.

I will. Been playing racing games for over two decades and I've never been so infuriated by AI drivers, not even in Motorstorm games or Forza' drivatars, because the roads are wide enough so I can just avoid them if they get too aggressive. The fact that I'm enjoying time trials and drifts 10 times more than actual races should tell you how much I dread going against the asshole AI in this game.

What do you mean busted and not needed? Just because you've reached beyond all the Tour events where it could be used doesn't mean it isn't needed...

AndyD

aka andydumi
I will. Been playing racing games for over two decades and I've never been so infuriated by AI drivers, not even in Motorstorm games or Forza' drivatars, because the roads are wide enough so I can just avoid them if they get too aggressive. The fact that I'm enjoying time trials and drifts 10 times more than actual races should tell you how much I dread going against the asshole AI in this game.

I inadvertently have found you can "cheat" the AI in tough races. I was looking at the environment and taking some screenshots and if you go super slow and trail behind, which slows them down a ton, you can then rocket past all of them within 10-30 seconds before the AI adjusts and you can keep a comfortable lead through the rest of the race even if they start catching up to challenge you.

Even with me at 30-50mph, at no point did they go more than 15-20 seconds ahead, as I kept getting the red interval time checks. When I floored it to catch up they were all bunched up cruising and I passed every car on straight and into a tight turn as a 15 second lead at 30mph is barely a few seconds at 150mph so you fly by them. They did speed up a ton after I was in the lead and kept up but if you drive halfway clean you win.

I was also able to reproduce this multiple times, as I was curious about it. So it's not rubberbanding in the sense that they go faster than they could/should, but they do slow down significantly to the point of the ridiculous.

In other news, I am still terrible at drifting, but every now and again I have a moment of brilliance, so I think I am starting to understand how it works. I wish the ghosts appeared reliably, so I can learn how to pitch the car into the slide.

Marmac

Banned
I'm loving this game right now since the server issues were fixed. Online racing is so much fun except for the assholes who purposely run you off the track. I guess I'll need to join a club with experienced racers who know how to race clean.

Marmac

Banned
my first online race yesterday night , i was so happy i was in first place with 88% race progress ...

And then the 2nd player bump me from behind causing my car to spin. i ended 7th ..

ALL OF MY RAGE.

Ya this happens way too often to me too. I need to join a club with clean racers.

I inadvertently have found you can "cheat" the AI in tough races. I was looking at the environment and taking some screenshots and if you go super slow and trail behind, which slows them down a ton, you can then rocket past all of them within 10-30 seconds before the AI adjusts and you can keep a comfortable lead through the rest of the race even if they start catching up to challenge you.

Even with me at 30-50mph, at no point did they go more than 15-20 seconds ahead, as I kept getting the red interval time checks. When I floored it to catch up they were all bunched up cruising and I passed every car on straight and into a tight turn as a 15 second lead at 30mph is barely a few seconds at 150mph so you fly by them. They did speed up a ton after I was in the lead and kept up but if you drive halfway clean you win.

I was also able to reproduce this multiple times, as I was curious about it. So it's not rubberbanding in the sense that they go faster than they could/should, but they do slow down significantly to the point of the ridiculous.

In other news, I am still terrible at drifting, but every now and again I have a moment of brilliance, so I think I am starting to understand how it works. I wish the ghosts appeared reliably, so I can learn how to pitch the car into the slide.

I don't care what others call this, but in my opinion this is called rubber banding. Or a la Wipeout HD reverse rubber banding. Ai might not be cheating but it is an artificial way to equalize the gaming experience for all players. Racing legendary AI in single events shows us what their max level is. During the campaign this level gets dynamically adjusted to the player's ability. It might me necessary to keep people from quitting. But also feels like someone is holding our hand.

Ya this happens way too often to me too. I need to join a club with clean racers.

Other players might not always be aware of this. I've seen players spin in front of me while driving 2 meters behind them. I'm sure that I was the cause of this due to desync or lag.

p3n

Driving a twisty circuit with the BAC vs cars that don't also weigh less than a bar of chocolate or have endless grip/acceleration isn't really the right way to prove that IMO.

The BACs prowess through the corners eliminates any real competition in that race.

But that is exactly what this is about, no? People claiming AI cars going faster than possible and overtaking them just before the finish line because of "rubber banding". I was under the exact same impression when I first did the Pro Trophy with the Scuderia...but I later realized that it is just the car that is not competetive in this bracket.

AndyD

aka andydumi
But that is exactly what this is about, no? People claiming AI cars going faster than possible and overtaking them just before the finish line because of "rubber banding". I was under the exact same impression when I first did the Pro Trophy with the Scuderia...but I later realized that it is just the car that is not competetive in this bracket.

I have yet to see a video showing AI cars going faster than possible and rubberbanding past you. Lots of conjecture though. That said some race brackets do have wide variety of cars, and you can tell as they tend to lump in the final standings based on ability.

Thanks I'll try it out next. I remember this is how we used to beat AI in MCLA, another game notorious for its rubberbanding, you practically had to use nitro boost just to keep no.2 behind you before crossing the finish line. And yeah, what you said above is textbook definition of rubberbanding, it goes both ways.

iFootball

I like the whole ghosting idea that people brought up earlier, would make the multiplayer more about skill and driving ability rather than the Destruction Derby it currently is haha.

SSX used this multiplayer 'ghosting' model last-gen, and it actually worked pretty well but, as always, a few people complained that you couldn't really bump or hit other players while racing down the mountain like in past versions of the game.

Now in Driveclub... it is a car racing game, and actually an arcade-ish type of game, so I believe avoiding other cars is a very natural part of what racing it is all about, even though some people online can be really a-holes (like pretty much in every online game)

... IMO some of you guys just need to chill-out.. it's just a game... some of you come here venting about EXTREME frustration, anger, RAGE, etc... come on guys, take it easy, there are bigger problems to direct your anger at, and I mean this in the most kind-spirited way.

Mung

4VJhGrm.jpg

That's the combo I've been using #brofist.

I didn't use the bars to attach the pedals to the base though - just stuck it to the rubber bits with bluetack! Has worked well.

Man the online races are so much more fun with club mates. Good games, guys. We won quite a bit! Still need to figure out how not to lose control when people clip me! :D

Stability was decent. Got booted 6-8 times. Did around 20 races. Lag was infrequent.

Missed you, Gaz and Khalifa!
Ya that was a blast. Will be fun to have the whole club racing together. Can't wait for private lobbies!
sorry for pit maneuvering you

Marmac

Banned
Wish people would at least cool that shit for the team races. I feel like no matter if I'm on the same team as someone, they'll still run me off the road for their own personal benefit.

Yeah I agree. Team members don't seem to understand what "team" means.

Clean racing is so satisfying and intense. The pressure of someone right on your tail, and the reward when you pull off a clean and daring overtake is immense.

Marmac

Banned
I like the whole ghosting idea that people brought up earlier, would make the multiplayer more about skill and driving ability rather than the Destruction Derby it currently is haha.

Removing collision would just make it boring and pointless but it wouldn't hurt to have it as a option but I'd never race with collisions off. Might as well just race single player alone if that's the case. I think there's way more skill involved when you actually have to be careful and not hit anyone like in real life.

Marmac

Banned
Clean racing is so satisfying and intense. The pressure of someone right on your tail, and the reward when you pull off a clean and daring overtake is immense.

I have yet to see a video showing AI cars going faster than possible and rubberbanding past you. Lots of conjecture though. That said some race brackets do have wide variety of cars, and you can tell as they tend to lump in the final standings based on ability.

I've had AI opponents fly by me at full speed as if they have NOS.

Top Bottom