• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

... IMO some of you guys just need to chill-out.. it's just a game... some of you come here venting about EXTREME frustration, anger, RAGE, etc... come on guys, take it easy, there are bigger problems to direct your anger at, and I mean this in the most kind-spirited way.

Agreed. This is why I've never enjoyed online racing games, Motorstorm (especially Pacific Rift) being the exception.
In MSPR no one gave a shit if you crashed into them, if you did they would most likely catch up to you with boost and blow up right next to you then send you an LoL message.

Phreak47

& for those not willing to spend more than $100, the t80 is great fun. I can't go back to a controller.

Completely agree on both counts. This is the first time I've sprung for a higher end wheel. I've used the less expensive wheels in the past and it was still all great fun and far superior to a controller. Either way there's truly no going back from it.

Looks like it fits just fine, well I have my driving force gt on my wheel stand pro as we speak. It would be dandy if a cheap t80 would also fit as well....unless the wheels are different of course. The g27 could not fit on the wheel stand pro designed for the DFGT as an example....

They make one for "F458 SPIDER/ T80 /T100 /F458 /F430 wheels - V2 ROSSO". Don't know if there's compatibility there with Logitech.

That's the combo I've been using #brofist.

I didn't use the bars to attach the pedals to the base though - just stuck it to the rubber bits with bluetack! Has worked well.

I just followed the youtube video and did everything the guy did... after reading ahead of time that this was far easier than reading the instructions.

When it comes to the pedal mounting and everything else I pretty much agree exactly with what the top rated review on Amazon says... the main complaint being that they don't include parts to take advantage of the mount holes on the pedal base, like they do for other bases. That would simplify things. But in the end, it's on, it won't budge, and everything is groovy.

I've got myself a T300rs for xmas, really looking forward to having a wheel this generation (never had one before). Saving Driveclub for then as well. Very excited :)

Oh damn, first wheel? You're going to love it, but make sure you've got the mounting game plan ahead of time. If you don't want to spring for the wheelstand pro (although I can't recommend it enough, just playing it about two hours last night convinced me this is the way to go), get yourself a heavy, sturdy table or desk that you can clamp the wheel onto and have the needed leg/foot room for the pedal base. This also usually means sitting more upright on a chair, not leaning back on your couch. If your PC is on a suitable desk, hooking the PS4 into that monitor is also an option (play with headphones).

This is where the wheelstand pro is really worth it... it's very sturdy and adjustable enough that you can sit how you want to sit and then dial it in. I'm leaning back on my couch with perfect control.

Yesss, finally beat the Hennessey time trial with a 1:15.7

225 stars complete. Game was a blast despite all the issues. I hope they will keep patching it for a long time.

VanWinkle

While I was out this evening, I thought I had seen this time of day recreated really well in Driveclub, so I checked it out, and indeed...amazing!

it8HFFp6tRywV.jpg

10628866_10154744981620626_3569298446311111137_o.jpg

I didn't try and test a bunch of times of day in different locations because I'm too lazy, but the lighting is so amazing in this game.

been playing this game since day one. enjoying it.

q: any bonus 100%ing tour mode with all stars? or do you get everything with just finishing tour?

benzy

While I was out this evening, I thought I had seen this time of day recreated really well in Driveclub, so I checked it out, and indeed...amazing!

I didn't try and test a bunch of times of day in different locations because I'm too lazy, but the lighting is so amazing in this game.

Lol, that's awesome. It's like they just copied and pasted the lighting into the game. :p

KalBalboa

Banned
Joined a different club tonight. Saw it was level 9 with about 1/3 the XP needed to rank up to 10...

Wound up marathoning various accolade challenges and got the club up to that nice, round 10. This game really has a charm to it- hope it catches on and gets its issues sorted out.

Hugstable

Banned
How's the online been doing for everyone today? Didn't play as much today cause of Bayo, but When I did play today I've been working on 3 starring the 3rd drift event haha. I feel like this is a game I will usually come back to each day, evem if some of those days are shorter bursts than others.

Had a chance to drive the bac mono for the first time last night. Wow..... Best car thus far. Amazing.
Online is getting better and better. Too bad in MP the game is just "trying to rear-end an opponent in a spin".

Lighting is the best thing when you're actually playing the game. I think it'll be difficult to play other racers having experienced it.

I've only read a few complaints on here about it, so hopefully other racing devs try to push this day/night cycle that actually changes visibility.

Putty

Terrific stuff Van! I had a few tour events yesterday and still my times didn't register 8(

EGOMON

How in the hell do you drive the V8 Atom? It just won't turn at all and then suddenly it oversteers...
It's really frustrating.
Pro tip:
Don't lift your foot from the throttle when you brake before and inside the corner
Keep holding R2 and L2 when turning never let the rear wheel freely spinning

Putty

I really look forward to when challenges are up, and the GAF crowd can do all the TT's officially through the game, and of course collated by the hopefully working leaderboards, with the option to look at individual ghost replays.

Number45

Agreed. This is why I've never enjoyed online racing games, Motorstorm (especially Pacific Rift) being the exception.
In MSPR no one gave a shit if you crashed into them, if you did they would most likely catch up to you with boost and blow up right next to you then send you an LoL message.
It's kind of the point of MS though, so the analogy isn't entirely useful.

I do know what you're saying (and I'm not one for rage, internet or otherwise), but with the currently limited online options (can you have private matches?) it's frustrating that those people that want to race properly don't seem to have the tools to do so.

Hopefully Evolution will add something. Either private matches or mode with collision off would be a start.

farmerboy

Just a thought after being done over by a pit maneuver for the millionth time in mp (not that I get on anywhere near enough, come on Evo, please get this sorted), lets look at it from the other perspective. It must be immensely satisfying to pull off, I'd imagine I would be giggling like a little schoolgirl every time I done it.

EGOMON

Oh my the Venom Hot Lap is killing me i think am gonna give up

Hope you can afford the brake job:)

lol i think i could worded that better, what i meant is to keep the rear wheels busy either with accelerating or braking if you lift your foot and turn the car will spin out at least that how it works for me >.<

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Finally finished the career, geez people weren't wrong about the Venom Hotlap. I tried about 5 times, each time racing till the sun went down and the lights came on, then when I least expected it (I honestly didn't think I was going to pass till I came out of the last corner with 1:10 on the clock) I got something like 1:15.9xx.

That's not my PSN ID btw, that appears as my 'Real Name'. ;)

Still got about 6 trophies left. Need the bloody challenges to open up, still not working for me, are they for anyone else?

nasanu

Banned
Hard to believe this game is still broken. They have had ample time to either decide if they could make the data transfer lighter in a timely matter or to add more capacity.

By now we should have had either a code or brute force fix. Evidently they have simply chosen to sit back and wait for the load to decrease as players give up. This was meant to be an epic time on the PS4 with DC and pCARS competing for my attention. But now I am bored and Assetto Corsa is horrible after the new update (what is with the xbox360 level graphics and why can't I get my wheel to feel like it did before?...), pCARS is just well... unfinished and iRacing is horrible to look at with basic physics and limited play options.... Maybe I'll play an RPG or something.

Loudninja

There are more servers coming online and there will be a significant server update to improve performance in the next 24 hours. We will also be running performance diagnostics around this update, but there shouldn't be much disruption or downtime.

This server update will improve online performance across the game and it also brings specific improvements for multiplayer racing and leaderboard updates.

More improvements will follow as we make progress on Sunday and Monday, but we still have more work to do to get everything back on track before we can give you any bigger or better news. We will keep you up to speed.

As always we appreciate your feedback about online play as it improves and about your time with the game in general, so please keep sharing with us.
https://www.facebook.com/driveclubofficial/posts/716027181814978

Number45

Hard to believe this game is still broken. They have had ample time to either decide if they could make the data transfer lighter in a timely matter or to add more capacity.
They tweeted a few minutes back about adding capacity, if it helps. They fully acknowledge that's not all that's required though.

I hope there's still a reasonable community when I dive in properly. :'(

Withnail

By now we should have had either a code or brute force fix. Evidently they have simply chosen to sit back and wait for the load to decrease as players give up. This was meant to be an epic time on the PS4 with DC and pCARS competing for my attention. But now I am bored and Assetto Corsa is horrible after the new update (what is with the xbox360 level graphics and why can't I get my wheel to feel like it did before?...), pCARS is just well... unfinished and iRacing is horrible to look at with basic physics and limited play options.... Maybe I'll play an RPG or something.

Agree. I really enjoy the gameplay but the fact is we're now more than two weeks after launch and the game front end is still a mess of disabled functionality and endless loading indicators. It's really not a good look for a game that was supposed to be a flagship title. It's gone beyond normal launch issues, somebody fucked up big time.

Auctopus

I absolutely love the 'dawn' time in the game. When everything has that sort of calm blue light over everything, it's a shame that it's about 7:30am so there's no way to set it to that time and if you have time lapse on even at it's lowest setting, it only lasts for about a minute.

seanoff

jesus that is one of the very very very few times i've had to check what was what in terms of in game and real. was only a second or so and the dash decorations were key.

but holy shit the lighting is godly

-Amon-

Things are getting better but we're still far form a normal multiplayer experience.

Yersteday i managed to play something like 20 online races with 4 club members.

dakun

Seriously this has gone on so long that the season pass as compensation is surely justifiable.

ok i'm all for freebies but whatever they give away has to be extra content that wasn't purchasable by people already. Can't screw over people who already bought the season pass. That would be screwing over the most loyal fans.

p3tran

Banned
so I have a guy working at big retail chain, and he told me yesternight as we were playing titanfall that driveclub's retail disk price will be bumped down from the retail price of 69.99 euro to something like 49.99 euro pretty soon. (like, even next week if I understood)

thats for Greece, but the retail chain is not Greek (multinational), so you guys take this as you want.

edit:
I inadvertently have found you can "cheat" the AI in tough races. I was looking at the environment and taking some screenshots and if you go super slow and trail behind, which slows them down a ton, you can then rocket past all of them within 10-30 seconds before the AI adjusts and you can keep a comfortable lead through the rest of the race even if they start catching up to challenge you.

Even with me at 30-50mph, at no point did they go more than 15-20 seconds ahead, as I kept getting the red interval time checks. When I floored it to catch up they were all bunched up cruising and I passed every car on straight and into a tight turn as a 15 second lead at 30mph is barely a few seconds at 150mph so you fly by them. They did speed up a ton after I was in the lead and kept up but if you drive halfway clean you win.

I was also able to reproduce this multiple times, as I was curious about it. So it's not rubberbanding in the sense that they go faster than they could/should, but they do slow down significantly to the point of the ridiculous.
Kinda proved what I suspected b4. That the AI is pretty much one and the same for all cars and not different AI for every car.

Game is fine and hard when you are racing properly. Once you go outside of that, the AI is basically broken. They spent all the CPU resources on the physics.

dat conclusion!
:D

physics, I dont know how much they spend, but imo they could/should have spent at least 1000% more

Seriously this has gone on so long that the season pass as compensation is surely justifiable.
That would be a big "thanks but fuck you too" to the people that showed their support the most. Not a good idea. Sony could give two or three free PS+ months for compensation, that would be good for everyone impacted. On the other hand, I'm not asking for compensation. I still have a lot of fun with the tour. The driving mechanics are what makes the game, not the online. Online racing will be ruined by thug drivers anyway.

jet1911

Are the servers still having issues? I decided to wait until the weather and photo mode update are out to start playing the game again.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Muuch better for me now.

I think right now people are waiting for challenges and the leaderboards to be fixed.

Leaderboards have been really good for me over the last 12hrs and update within 30secs tops. Currently building my Fame rank, sitting at around 1500th with 13,7xx,xxx points.

Kinda proved what I suspected b4. That the AI is pretty much one and the same for all cars and not different AI for every car.

Game is fine and hard when you are racing properly. Once you go outside of that, the AI is basically broken. They spent all the CPU resources on the physics.
By different car do you mean the AI in grid slot 1 is the same AI level as grid slot 7, or that all of the AI driving a A45 should behave differently from all of the AI driving the M135i?

By different car do you mean the AI in grid slot 1 is the same AI level as grid slot 7, or that all of the AI driving a A45 should behave differently from all of the AI driving the M135i?

No one has a clue. People are trying to analyse a group of developers AI coding based on their individual experience and the anecdotes of others.

-Amon-

But are they really getting better? Isn't it just that less and less people are bothering to play?

Honest ?

Don't care if it is a matter of people giving up or what else.

I'm bored to death of people in this place going on and on and on and on from day one whining about this game problems.

Everybody is aware of that. Whining like a ten year old boy is not going to solve problems, even if people will do two thousand post about it.

People can get a refund, if they want.

IISANDERII

Going to try multiplayer again. Any tips on what races I should be looking for? I don't like short races, much prefers the longer ones but the most I see is 3 lap races. Is that the most?

Top Bottom