• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

vvldkv.gif

Bumhead

Banned
Finished the Tour today.

The game has been a massive disappointment, personally. Even when the online stuff is working, which to be fair it mostly has been for me this week, I think there are design decisions and fundamental problems with the game not related to the servers.

Really disappointing. Especially as I think a lot of the games problems would have been lessened or masked completely by being a Motorstorm title.

I get that Evolution wanted to make this sort of game, and it's cool that they got the opportunity, but I don't think it's really worked for them. I'm not the sort to call for studio closures or comments like "they closed the wrong studio!" - which I find crass and revolting. But I don't think Sony should be greenlighting a sequel. The best aspects of Drive Club as a product lend themselves far better to the sort of stuff they've worked on previously, rather than what's here.

Finished the Tour today.

The game has been a massive disappointment, personally. Even when the online stuff is working, which to be fair it mostly has been for me this week, I think there are design decisions and fundamental problems with the game not related to the servers.

Really disappointing. Especially as I think a lot of the games problems would have been lessened or masked completely by being a Motorstorm title.

I get that Evolution wanted to make this sort of game, and it's cool that they got the opportunity, but I don't think it's really worked for them. I'm not the sort to call for studio closures or comments like "they closed the wrong studio!" - which I find crass and revolting. But I don't think Sony should be greenlighting a sequel. The best aspects of Drive Club as a product lend themselves far better to the sort of stuff they've worked on previously, rather than what's here.
Such as...

Gustav

Banned
Game does not connect to servers. I am a little out of the loop. Does it work now, including challenges etc? Did I just tried to connect at a bad time or is it still busted?

boskee

Game does not connect to servers. I am a little out of the loop. Does it work now, including challenges etc? Did I just tried to connect at a bad time or is it still busted?

It is still busted but "slowly improving" (most likely due to lower demand, not any real improvements). The whole networking code seems to be completely wrong, otherwise they would have fixed the issue 3 weeks ago.

Philly40

Playing just now and even though there are a lot of "server disconnection" errors at least the ghost racers are working better than they have for the past week.

I was just doing a race on the BHR track and I'm fairly sure that an empty crisp packet just hit my windshield, has anyone else had this?

Bumhead

Banned
Such as...

Well, the environmental detail for a start. The game is (mostly) absolutely beautiful and it's definitely to Evolution's credit that they put so much effort into the variety, density and detail of the environments. I want to race through that - a-la Pacific Rift - rather than just alongside it.

I also think the sense of speed would lend itself well to an off road arcade racer, and I think some of the problems with aggressive AI and rubber banding would be a lot less irritating (or like I say, at least masked) by being a Motorstorm title.

Even though it's not a sim, I don't think Drive Club does as much as it thinks it does or wants to do to differentiate itself as a track racer with real cars. And it actively leaves things from Evolutions previous DNA in here which are far more frustrating in this setting than I believe they would be in something like Pacific Rift.

Gustav

Banned
It is still busted but "slowly improving" (most likely due to lower demand, not any real improvements). The whole networking code seems to be completely wrong, otherwise they would have fixed the issue 3 weeks ago.

So still no challenges, etc?

Such as...

If another car (or a whole load or cars) loses control in front of me, due to the fact that there is zero run off area on the tracks, the crashing cars can't leave the circuit to make way for racing cars, and racing cars can't take extreme manoeuvres to avoid contact when needed.

Another car hitting an invisible wall shouldn't suddenly fling them sideways across the track into the path of nearby or oncoming racers.

Cars being so tail happy in general means that spinning out a car in front of you takes very little effort. Sometimes a car ten feet in front of you will randomly spin out on a straight as if you're ramming them or something. Don't know what's up with that.

Releasing a racing game with no replay mode is a wtf moment for sure.

The tail end of this week has been good for me but I can't get online at the moment.

Usually I get bored of games pretty easily, which is not necessarily a bad thing. After maybe 10 hours or so I'm usually done and can look back fondly and say if the game was great or not. But this game got me hooked bad. Just started Semi-Pro in Tour mode with 89 stars yet I'm at level 30. There's just more and more things to enjoy in this game. I've never liked long races but now using 10 laps not only gives me plenty of fame but you really get more familiar with nuances of track and the car you're using.

I was expecting a gorgeous racer that pulls me in with the scenery and presentation and that's it. But the car handling and track design is arguably the best it's ever been done. It's easy enough to jump in any car (especially the high powered ones) yet have enough nuances to be compared to sim racers like GT and Forza.

DriveClub 2 needs to happen. Evo made a classic racer.

If another car (or a whole load or cars) loses control in front of me, due to the fact that there is zero run off area on the tracks, the crashing cars can't leave the circuit to make way for racing cars, and racing cars can't take extreme manoeuvres to avoid contact when needed.

Another car hitting an invisible wall shouldn't suddenly fling them sideways across the track into the path of nearby or oncoming racers.

Cars being so tail happy in general means that spinning out a car in front of you takes very little effort. Sometimes a car ten feet in front of you will randomly spin out on a straight as if you're ramming them or something. Don't know what's up with that.

Releasing a racing game with no replay mode is a wtf moment for sure.

The tail end of this week has been good for me but I can't get online at the moment.
I was after their opinion considering they said they were disappointed but didn't list why. I think we all already know yours, you don't need to repeat it all again :p

dano1

A Sheep
Finished the Tour today.

Finished the tour. Game must be terrible...

dano1

A Sheep
Well, the environmental detail for a start. The game is (mostly) absolutely beautiful and it's definitely to Evolution's credit that they put so much effort into the variety, density and detail of the environments. I want to race through that - a-la Pacific Rift - rather than just alongside it.

I also think the sense of speed would lend itself well to an off road arcade racer, and I think some of the problems with aggressive AI and rubber banding would be a lot less irritating (or like I say, at least masked) by being a Motorstorm title.

Even though it's not a sim, I don't think Drive Club does as much as it thinks it does or wants to do to differentiate itself as a track racer with real cars. And it actively leaves things from Evolutions previous DNA in here which are far more frustrating in this setting than I believe they would be in something like Pacific Rift.

That would be called Motorstorm

Bumhead

Banned
I was after their opinion considering they said they were disappointed but didn't list why. I think we all already know yours, you don't need to repeat it all again :p

Oh, the list of disappointments?

Mostly just the abysmal AI, the super aggressive carousel precession as they follow a rigidly strict racing line, the unfair and frankly race breaking time punishments for collisions..

thelastword

Banned

My goodness, dude you're basically saying nothing, you wrote two posts that I've seen and all you said that they should have made motorstorm.

Playing just now and even though there are a lot of "server disconnection" errors at least the ghost racers are working better than they have for the past week.

I was just doing a race on the BHR track and I'm fairly sure that an empty crisp packet just hit my windshield, has anyone else had this?
Yes, a lot of that tonight. But you are still connected. Just the Face Offs disappear, almost like you have two concurrent connections. Which is handy, I guess, in that you're not completely booted.

And yup - they're modelled after McCoys crisps!

Bumhead

Banned
My goodness, dude you're basically saying nothing, you wrote two posts that I've seen and all you said that they should have made motorstorm.

Basically yeah, I think they should have.

Like I said, the AI has problems which are more of an issue here than I believe they would have been in a Motorstorm title. And from an entirely personal point of view, I think Motorstorm is a more interesting idea that would benefit more from the gorgeous environments Evolution made here.

As a track racer I found it frustrating, almost like you were fighting the AI rather than truly racing it.

is there a way to fix my sound? I play on a PC monitor and it does not have any special speakers but all games I played so far had no issues but the music in drive club had been so bad and low that I just turn on my own music while I drive

Fenzer

Finally did 1:15:56 on Hot Venom Lap. 225/225 Stars :)

A bit disappointed by what is given to you after you complete the offline. No Trophy ? No Bonus Points ? Come on...

SxP

Face-off were kinda working for me today. Saw them at the start of every event, but after one or two laps I got a connection error, but I only got disconnected in terms of face-offs. Hopefully that means face-offs will start working permanently soon.

Afrikan

Not sure if it was posted already, but. here's some birds for ya:

Flying flamingos in 1080p (just cropped the borders):
ibh0i6wefMLD7a.jpg

Yes, flamingos are the pink something in the background

And standing flamingos in 720p (movie shot, was busy trying to win to stop and watch ;))
ibpinRmBVBQqId.jpg

first time I saw them, yup.. I crashed...got distracted. I didn't know what they were..those pink flying things, didn't think Flamingos lived in that type of environment....only tropical beaches.

Bluenova

Neo Member
that logo looks almost exactly like my badge, just different color scheme.

87YMRtN.jpg

Hey man that's an awesome coincidence, cool haha. Good taste bru

I'm ready to give up on my own Club to join one guys. Just prefer if it has slick badge to rock :p PSN Bluesuzaku

As for the AI in Driveclub I love em, they are good.
I realize you can sand-bag them in DC, but if you race full out you can keep the lead, and even if you mess up I've recovered to win or place 2nd many times. I have beaten each Motorstorm campaign 2 over [well not really the 1st, I just replay hard races]. Like even that Motorcycle vs Monster Trucks on Razorback festival event.

Driveclub is not like that kind of rubberbanding at all. Also i find the racing contact is between car and penalties are fair. To me racing clean is partly how much space you can leave between you and opponent and manage, especially when braking. If it get too tight well it wasn't really a clean pass.

Just started Semi-Pro in Tour mode with 89 stars yet I'm at level 30. There's just more and more things to enjoy in this game. I've never liked long races but now using 10 laps not only gives me plenty of fame but you really get more familiar with nuances of track and the car you're using.

I was expecting a gorgeous racer that pulls me in with the scenery and presentation and that's it. But the car handling and track design is arguably the best it's ever been done. It's easy enough to jump in any car (especially the high powered ones) yet have enough nuances to be compared to sim racers like GT and Forza.

DriveClub 2 needs to happen. Evo made a classic racer.

Yeah dude. At near launch I though only the tracks might end up simplistic or not as excellent as Motorstorm.. Yeah they are easily as good, but it is also so different than motorstorm, with the awesome lineup of real cars. Game drives so nicely. Camera views so butter too.

I want Driveclub 2 already, or hope considering the unfortunate launch they get their skunkworks making Motorstorm, and keep scanning/modeling cars, and then Drive Club 2. Utah monument valley please. It is classic. I'd like them to make and arcade cab tbh just a one off

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Really hope the Season Pass offers some new locations instead of just more challenges as I could definitely devour some more content.

benzy

So what should it do to differentiate itself from other track-based racers? Don't say make it open world because Test Drive Unlimited 2 already did that last gen.

dano1

A Sheep
Really hope the Season Pass offers some new locations instead of just more challenges as I could definitely devour some more content.

I believe there is 11 new tracks coming for everyone. Season pass gets you 176 new challenges and 50 some cars

I believe there is 11 new tracks coming for everyone. Season pass gets you 176 new challenges and 50 some cars
Yes, tracks are free. And just to correct, 38 cars in the season pass and 9 additional free cars.

6 tracks from 1 new location, and 1 extra for each of the current locations so you'll end up with 6 on each.

There are some hilariously long Time Trial times. When you set your first time I presume your target is the lowest ranked player. 206 minutes for one point-to-point event!

Top Bottom