• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

After holding off on a purchase thanks to the server issues, I finally bit the bullet on DC today (thanks Target). Any recommendations as to which cars/races I should go after first?

Just take one of that hot hatches out in India and have flashbacks to playing Sega Rally, I still go back to those every time I play this game.

My mate explains its because he needs to see what the car is doing. I told him I need to feel what the car is doing, hence first person.

Best explanation I can think of.

Funnily enough, I'm also an FPS "inverter" and he's not: I aim with the gun, he aims with the cursor. I wonder if it's related?

I'm an invert-Y Guy, and I prefer third-person in racing games. It's more to do with the arcade heritage for me, I think. I always like to see my my car.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sorry if this has been covered a million times but...

I bought DC via PSN on launch and I've only dabbled in it since whilst not really following the game's technical issues and shortcomings.

In saying that, my question is: as someone who rarely plays racing games in a multiplayer space, are there any features missing currently or is it a 'complete' game?

I bought DC via PSN on launch and I've only dabbled in it since whilst not really following the game's technical issues and shortcomings.

In saying that, my question is: as someone who rarely plays racing games in a multiplayer space, are there any features missing currently or is it a 'complete' game?

Its a complete game but still some of the features like Weather, Photo and Replay modes are not available. And there are some multiplayer issue which works sometimes so developers are working on this issue from the scratch in priority. However you still can enjoy the game without these in Single player content which is quite a lot and some multiplayer matches if you get connected. Mostly all these things will get patched by next month(or jan) in few updates.

EDIT: only thing which is not working in multiplayer is challenges completely and rest of them are working sometimes with some minor issues.

I'm still chewing my way through single player. I love racing and driving the tracks in this game so much, that's all I really need along with Face-offs and ghost cars to keep me improving. The good thing is, it's only going to get better anyway, it's never going to go back to 'launch' DC and I'm very patient. Evo will get it there.

Jesus.. so it's still not working properly. After a whole goddamn month :(

They did a big mistake in multiplayer code, so some parts need to be rewritten properly. This might take a while and already shu added more engineers to the team to finish this asp. Hopefully it will be done in month or two at most with everything. Mostly everyone will get some compensation, meanwhile we have to stick to the single player and some multiplayer matches when we can connect.

I still can't fathom how people play racing games via 3rd person. Its so difficult for me.
I can be competitive in either view but I prefer the chase cam because you have a vastly improved view of corners and other drivers.

If you want to turn into a corner then you can instantly see if you're going to cut someone up on the inside of you without having to look in a mirror, which means all your focus is on the corner and what is ahead.

I can be competitive in either view but I prefer the chase cam because you have a vastly improved view of corners and other drivers.

If you want to turn into a corner then you can instantly see if you're going to cut someone up on the inside of you without having to look in a mirror, which means all your focus is on the corner and what is ahead.

I love the hood view as i get a good feel of the car and seeing the bonnet helps me get a sense of presence. As for not having side mirrors, if i can't see them then i'm ahead and have the racing advantage so sod 'em! :)

For me the SP is enough at the moment but i can see how better drivers and those who are more social and competitive are gnashing their teeth in frustration. I'm hoping that they can get the issues fixed and launch the PSN version before christmas because the core driving is solid, enjoyable and quite addictive. It's the first racer in a long while that i've actually taken to and enjoy. The driving feels really nice and i'm addicted to SP time trials at the moment, sorry club i know they don't score highly :(

Finally had my T300RS despatch note from Amazon UK. Hype! ^_^

Mine keeps getting bounced back - December 13th they're saying now :(

May I ask when you ordered, and did you get the £249 price before they put it up to £299?

Edit: actually just checked - the email I had from them on Nov 5th said Dec 13th, but looking online, it's saying Preparing for Dispatch
Delivery estimate: Tuesday, 11 November 2014!! No email confirmation though....

I don't know why people are complaining, we all wanted a new Wipeout.

I would love a remake of 2048 using the Driveclub engine.

The barrel rolls are already in.
Bmci5t-A4VGhVL6Qm4hDTFOX2PulrJwO6iULzZ_VZCjtcjv4GA1m9ivJPDan49nh8J4qsfL_O-o=w1430-h927

(hope this works, my first selfmade animated gif on gaf)

EDIT: Damn! What space providers do you guys use for animated gifs above 5MBs?

EDIT2: Blogger does the trick it seems:
DriveClub%2B-%2BDo%2BA%2BBarrel%2BRoll_2.gif

So due to the severe server issues and Destiny, I didn't touch this game for a while (did some of the early Tour stuff and then stopped). Last couple of days however I have been ploughing through events.

This is easily one of my favourite racers ever. The cars just sound and feel so good. The tracks are fantastic - the events (or challenges within) are all fun, and I'm really liking the PGR feel to a lot of it.

Tried to play the multiplayer today with mixed success. It's definitely improved drastically since the few attempts I made since launch - and to be honest, when it works, it's enjoyable. I think that 2-4 laps is simply too short to have any sort of competitive driving - so at this stage it's simply a test your luck type of game, where you hope you pull out in the top 2-3 positions and get ahead of the crashes. The driver who nabs first place after the first couple of corners has to fuck up pretty bad to lose the lead.
The 'club' element makes no sense, or is simply not working the way I expected it to. I thought 'club racing' would mean that my club would face off against another in a series of races. Unfortunately I only have 2 (sometimes 3) active club members, and we tend to just get thrown in with a whole pack of people - many of whom are terrible, or deliberately driving dirty. Assuming my friends get into the same race at all, we really only have our club colours to define our cars.
Personally, I feel like the club element would be much better if there were some investment in the cars you earned (maybe the club owner could choose the next club car to earn), or if there was a seperate mode for club vs club racing.

In any case, outstanding game - a shame that Evo continue to struggle with such a critical component after a 12 month delay. I expect the story behind all of this will be very interesting to read assuming we get any information.

Also - a quick vid I made of the Marussia drift event. Not nearly the highest score, but I was pretty happy with the run despite a small mistake on the second to last corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEUrLcIMcRE

Last week in October if memory serves, and I paid the full £300. >_<

I did wonder if Amazon were priotizing those who paid £300, and this confirms it. I ordered in September when they price-matched ShopTo at £250.

I'm not touching it until Xmas, so it's not that urgent, but obviously I'd prefer it was here, rather than waiting until mid December and another possible postponement.

Do let us know what you think of it :)

iFootball

Anyone else hate drift events, I've hated them all and now I'm on the Pagani drift with the Huayra and can only seem to get within 1000 pts of 7300
Just last night I completed this event and yes, I never really enjoyed Drift Events too much... that last star always took too many tries

Now.. Only the Hot Lap and Legend Trophy events ramain for me!

Whb29

So disappointed, having gone back to the single player tour, thought I'd go back to the online after a week out. It's worse than it was! At least then most of the connectivity was working, now it c constantly tells me the server is down, the event don't list, when they do list the event never starts, if I do get into an event cars start flying through the sky.

Embarrassing and unacceptable. I really enjoy the racing but I've had enough now. A month is enough to fix the most complex of bugs - before you ask I'm a software engineer, and I feel bad when our customers have to wait a week for a fix. They a clearly NOT working around the clock as they say, because it would have been fixed weeks ago if they were.

Today I started Driveclub and my club is back to level 1. The club was in level 17, and had a score of 8 million points. Now the club appears to have 1.5 million negative points. So I don't just have to start again but I have to make 1.5 million points to start from Zero.

Really, This is being a horrible experience. It's really frustrating because I love the handling, I love the graphics, I love the car selection... But this game is so effin unreliable that right now I feel like I would want to throw my PS4 out the window.

Fix this shit Evolution!

Edit: link to the tweet I sent to Rushy showing my problem.
https://twitter.com/kristoke/status/531118401054576641

Anyone else hate drift events, I've hated them all and now I'm on the Pagani drift with the Huayra and can only seem to get within 1000 pts of 7300

Did that one yesterday. Do it with the Zonda!
Key for me was

1st section >700pts
2nd section >1600pts
3rd section: divide into 3 drifts

I hate the RACES. AI is frustrating as hell in this game, never let's me drive as if I had a hint of a survival instinct.
Drift physics are really ok in DC if you ask me, only problem is the speed multiplier which doesn't allow you to do slower controlled drifts if you want to get a decent score.

Hugstable

Banned
So disappointed, having gone back to the single player tour, thought I'd go back to the online after a week out. It's worse than it was! At least then most of the connectivity was working, now it c constantly tells me the server is down, the event don't list, when they do list the event never starts, if I do get into an event cars start flying through the sky.

Embarrassing and unacceptable. I really enjoy the racing but I've had enough now. A month is enough to fix the most complex of bugs - before you ask I'm a software engineer, and I feel bad when our customers have to wait a week for a fix. They a clearly NOT working around the clock as they say, because it would have been fixed weeks ago if they were.

Yeah it sadly seems like everything has gotten worse at this point especially with connection issues, and now it's not only the Face Offs points that are getting buggered, but also the club points and level points. I'm really starting to worry now as it wasn't even this bad that long ago. Is it because they've been trying to push in the challeneges? Just sucks whenever it's always disconnected cause I don't really want to play the game when the points aren't going to my club and what not :(. Please EVO fix it for the fans, I wish they never went with the PS+ version if that's what ended up causing all these issues. I enjoy this game and it's physics/speed so much, and I want others to also, but it's impossible to recommend the game at all with the state that it's in.

Blaaaargh /enddailyrant

Gotta finish off these stars now, sitting pretty at like 187, can't believe I'm actually pulling through on some of these races. Love the feel of progession that you get whenever you start getting used to a car. You start to see that you are taking driving lines better and it really shows on the times. I feel like I'm never gonna be able to finish the Venom hot rap though

Kilau

So did they take the game offline completely? I haven't been able to connect for the last two days. Feels like going backwards after the recent improvements.

Certinty

Haven't been able to connect to their servers the last few days. I have given this game too much patience and am going to ask for a refund now, pathetic how this isn't solved a month after release.

GodofWine

So did they take the game offline completely? I haven't been able to connect for the last two days. Feels like going backwards after the recent improvements.

I haven't not connected in weeks, instantly at start up up every time, even had a nice run of multiplayer racing last night without being sent back to the events screen.

;?

andshrew

The multiplayer match making has been terrible today, which makes trying to race with friends even more frustrating. I really don't get why each member of your party has to individually join the queue, to me it would make far more sense for the session host to be able to do this and then everyone in the session is automatically pulled in.

Also, anyone won races online despite clearly not finishing first? Won a race in 3rd place earlier, other people saw this too so it wasn't some weird glitch localised to my game.

Today I started Driveclub and my club is back to level 1. The club was in level 17, and had a score of 8 million points. Now the club appears to have 1.5 million negative points. So I don't just have to start again but I have to make 1.5 million points to start from Zero.

Really, This is being a horrible experience. It's really frustrating because I love the handling, I love the graphics, I love the car selection... But this game is so effin unreliable that right now I feel like I would want to throw my PS4 out the window.

Fix this shit Evolution!

Edit: link to the tweet I sent to Rushy showing my problem.
https://twitter.com/kristoke/status/531118401054576641

this is horrible this is how I set my goals to level up each day to keep playing if my club lost this much progress ouch

it did skip a few levels yesterday going up

Can i get a refund for this horrible trash yet.

Ugh i am so disgusted looking at this game on my shelf. Wish i wouldn't have bought into the gaf hype and listened to jeff in the first place.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781

Ugh i am so disgusted looking at this game on my shelf. Wish i wouldn't have bought into the gaf hype and listened to jeff in the first place.

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Trash? Really? They fucked up the online, yes, no question. But trash? Yeah, listen to Jeff, sure.

hawk2025

I don't get this post.

You have a fucking physical copy, are you somehow not familiar with the concept of trading in or return a game? Do you want us to walk you through it?

-Amon-

Listening to Jeff will save you LOTS of money for sure. Start selling all your gaming hardware, you won't need it anymore if you really follow your own advice.

Unlocked the McLaren P1 and now I don't want to go back to any other car. Using KERS brings a different dynamic and strategy that wasn't present before. Especially combining with manual transmission. Still haven't finished semi-pro and I'm not sure I will. I like the fact that I can choose a car from any class and set my own restrictions.

McLaren P1 + Canada Maplewood + Dusk to Night lightcycle. Lawd.

I haven't not connected in weeks, instantly at start up up every time, even had a nice run of multiplayer racing last night without being sent back to the events screen.

;?

I haven't had a problem initially connecting since a week after launch and recently it's been the first time where I don't ever get disconnected. I don't have PS+ though so I can't speak about multiplayer races, but face offs has been consistently showing up on tracks now. I just want Evo to hurry up and patch club cars to be playable offline.

Top Bottom