• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Rushy

http://t.co/q2qAXXSQXy

Game Update 1.07:

* Adds Photo Mode to the game. You can enable Photo Mode during gameplay by pressing the right side of the Touch Pad and share your favourite pictures with the Share button.

* Adds three new tracks - all including reverse variants: Yedapalli in India, Los Pelambres in Chile and Wester Ross in Scotland.

* Adds support for the Renault DeZir DRIVECLUB™ Edition and BMW M5, 2013 to PlayStation®Store (available as free download to full game owners from Nov 25-SCEA, 26-SCEE, 27-SCEJ).

* Adds support for the Ignition Expansion Pack - which includes the Ignition Car Pack and Ignition Tour Pack - to PlayStation®Store (free download available from Nov 25-SCEA, 26-SCEE, 27-SCEJ).

The Ignition Car Pack includes 5 new cars:
  • W Motors Lykan Hypersport
  • Caterham SP/ 300.R
  • KTM X-Bow R
  • BMW M4
  • Renault Twin'Run Concept
The Ignition Tour Pack includes 11 new Events and 5 new Trophies.

• Adds support for the Photo-Finish Tour Pack to PlayStation®Store (free download available from Nov 25-SCEA, 26-SCEE, 27-SCEJ).

The Photo-Finish Tour Pack includes 11 new Events and 5 new Trophies.

• Adds support for two new livery packs to PlayStation®Store (free download available from Nov 25-SCEA, 26-SCEE, 27-SCEJ).

Each Livery Pack contains 5 new livery patterns to customise your cars with.

• Changes have be made to corner cutting, corner penalties & collision penalties for balancing purposes.

• Improves the Server Announcements functionality and implements a restyled screen.

• Adds the ability to manually trigger reset-to-track by pressing the left side of the Touch Pad.

• Adds the ability to view a Club's current unlocks (Vehicles, Paint Jobs, Club Badge Shapes and Accolade Stickers).

• Integrates Player and Club Cards into various option menus.

• Adds the option to hide and unhide the results screen in order to view the post-race cameras.

• Adds Newest Clubs to the list of potential recipients when sending a Club Challenge.

• Adds the ability to search for a Club by name when sending a Club Challenge.

• Plus a number of minor bug fixes, performance improvements and usability tweaks.

• Adds Newest Clubs to the list of potential recipients when sending a Club Challenge.

• Adds the ability to search for a Club by name when sending a Club Challenge.

C-C-Club challenges ?

c-c-c-could it be ?

Auctopus

Currently making a photomode thread, someone give me a witty title!

Current is: "The better you look, the more you can get away with"

Shaneus

Patch downloaded! Guess I need to sign up for the season pass to get dem new cars?

Edit: Holy hell, My Club section was up immediately once the menu appeared. Challenges still not up... yet.

Vein

Banned
Downloading now. Looks like sweet patch and November is shaping up to rein in the weather for late December I hope. If they can generate some goodwill here and make that weather patch count, and obviously have servers ready to go by new year or shortly after, this game will be rocking.

It's pretty sad to see the trolls still going hard for this game. People are really pathetic sometimes.

Best RACER out there by a mile imho.

I was personally wondering if Evo ever plans on restting leaderboards when they get their full model figured out. So many of these high scores in drift and tracks are crazy lol.

Shaneus

Here you go, GAF. My first (very quick and rough):
iR80OWeLcnNyW.jpg

Vein

Banned
New screen with a squares layout for all upcoming stuff. The start screen is finally now working properly in Full Color levels. It is no longer grey haha. This game is going to have a LOT of extra events with that season pass. Going to be great fun. Trying out new courses now.

Looking at how awesome this game is going to be, how great it is.... pretty sad some people are swayed by that nasty public outcry for nothing really.

Barnzini

Neo Member
Wester Ross in Scotland is the my favourite of the new tracks. Huge elevation changes in that track and you get blinded by the sun on the final stretch when running the track in reverse. Top stuff.

Photo mode has a ton of options. There should be some great pics posted in the coming days. Shame Challenges still are unavailable.

Hackbert

Wester Ross in Scotland is the my favourite of the new tracks. Huge elevation changes in that track and you get blinded by the sun on the final stretch when running the track in reverse. Top stuff.

Photo mode has a ton of options. There should be some great pics posted in the coming days. Shame Challenges still are unavailable.

damn, you are right, westeros is a great track

system11

Interesting seeing the patch notes above since other places are claiming they've changed the corner/collision penalties a bit. Does anyone know if this is a case of dumbing it down for the people who like to drive diagonally across them into the side of others?

Thanks Rushy! Can't wait for the new content! Would you be able to tell me whether any of those 3 new tracks are P2P?
All new tracks will be road circuits (unless they reworked them since), apart from the new location tracks which will be a variety as per the original locations.

So we'll end up with 2 x P2P, 3 x road circuit and 1 x race circuit with its 3 variations and all in reverse obviously for each location.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So is the PS+ version still unavailable? I really want to try it out, but I'm not about to spend $40 on a racing game that I'm not sure I'll enjoy.

Ultibreaker

Neo Member
There's like 20+ events at a time in Multiplayer 😳

Scotland hands down the best free new map. Game got a visual improvement too.

When this game gets going 100% I'm going to sell it and then re buy just because it's that good (j/k lol)

Zalusithix

I think this really is a case of you just lacking the skills/experience. The hyper cars, more than any others, really require you to 1) know the optimal racing lines by heart, 2) learn to handle the gas delicately and 3) learn to brake early enough or slow down at the right points. If your lines are crappy, then you'll easily screw up in one way or the other (especially when going fast), and if you don't know when to slow down/brake, then you can easily understeer or even fly off the track when there are small bumps in the road or sudden elevational changes (so if you find yourself understeering a lot, then just start applying the brakes a little bit earlier instead of Sonicgottagofast.jpg-ing as much as possible). And of course, yeah, if you are too gas-pedal-happy, many of them are easy to lose control of, so you need to kind of get used to the idea that you can't just hold down gas all the time.

I hated hypers at first, too, but I'm getting around to becoming accustomed enough with driving them that I'm finding them becoming enjoyably intense instead of frustratingly hard to handle. I guess one other tip I'd give you is to take tight/U-turns carefully. It's better to be a little early with the braking and come out of corners carefully than risking it and finding yourself off-road/spun around, at least until you've really become accustomed to hypers more and know that you can push the cars to their limits.

The "problem" with hypers is probably that you come out of Supers a little too confident in your skills. Supers are kinda easy to get used to since they have the speed yet you don't lose that much on the handling side of things, whereas hypers are even faster and handling becomes harder not only because of the speed but because they are a lot easier to spin out as well. So you kind of THINK you can handle them because you did so well with supers, but then the hypers require a different approach.

Nah, I know full well that the hypers don't control the same. Every class has differences in how you have to approach the course, and different cars within a class require different tactics. Once again, I play pretty much the same track over and over, so I know every corner, bump, and dip by heart. How the course is optimally handled depends entirely on how the car responds to the corners. Sometimes by riding a bit over the curb on the one side of the S you can better maintain speed. Sometimes a full slow down is in order or you'll spin out the car. Sometimes it changes depending on how fast you're coming into it (first lap vs follow up). This is just within the first few seconds of the lap. There's plenty of nuances in the following corners as well.

I just don't care much for the handling / driving experience of most of the hypers (at least on that course). Yes they're faster, and even doing poorly in one can result in a faster lap time than damn near perfection in the lower classes. That doesn't necessarily make them more fun to drive though. Basically the classes go from trying to finesse every last drop of power out of them (hatches) to trying to keep the absurd amounts of power under control (hypers). Sports, performance and super classes fall in the middle of that band. I don't think it's unusual to prefer different ratios of finessing to tempering.

I'm certain with enough time I could get quite good with any of the hypers. I'm not so sure I'd ever enjoy the experience of getting better though. Much like driving most of the Mercedes in the game (in any class). I could get up in the leaderboards with them, but I hated every minute of it. Only drove them to get the drive X miles progress points, and hopefully will never touch them again. Basically getting good != enjoyment. People can get good at doing tests in school by practicing. I haven't met many people that actually enjoy that process though. Time will tell. I have plenty of miles to put on those cars the game will effectively force on me. Still, statistically I have more cases of continuing to dislike cars that I don't enjoy at first compared to coming to like them after hating them.

The P1 though is a different story. The KERS and DRS add another element to the game, and I don't mind the handling. Still haven't used it enough to really get a good handle of it yet, but I enjoy my time with it.

pager99

I thought I'd post my impressions of driveclub here goes.
I understand this game got mixed reviews which some people like to cherrypick and say it reviewed like dogshit and is a terrible game but I haven't had this much fun in a racing game in along time.
The racing is just so visceral and every car feels nuanced and individual, I dunno whether it's the pretty graphics or the attention to detail but the game just grips me and pulls me in to the race and doesn't let go.
I also like the no frills old school approach to the tour etc and those blistering fast load times never keeps you waiting too long.
I understand multiplayer can be a bit rough and tumble but I've never played a multiplayer racer that doesn't suffer from this problem but it's still fun online despite this.
all in all I'm having plenty of fun with driveclub what says you rad gamerz driveclub yay or nay!!

breakfuss

Isn't it? I'm guessing it's only because it's an exclusive. I really hope it does well because I want another one and I want the people who made it to be rewarded.

Oh please.

People were rightfully mad because the shit simply did not work. Now many have moved on. Anecdotal obviously but I've seen maybe two people playing this on my friends list since release. Maybe I had the wrong idea but I assumed this was intended for a larger/causal audience. Which is why I assumed they had the PS+ hook. Seamless "social" racing is a novel concept but how can it work if hardly anyone plays? Which begs the question how the servers could possibly be as "overloaded" as they claim. Whatever though, I don't know anything about that kind of stuff. Sincerely hope they can get the ship turned around. I would love to support this.

Fonds

Loving the update. I was hoping to get the NeoGAF Challenge thread going again.
Some more cars and tracks to play with is always a good thing.

I love the addition of the Caterham and M4. A good start as far as the DLC goes, now hit it out of the park with some Asian/ NA manufacturers.

GodofWine

Oh please.

People were rightfully mad because the shit simply did not work. Now many have moved on. Anecdotal obviously but I've seen maybe two people playing this on my friends list since release. Maybe I had the wrong idea but I assumed this was intended for a larger/causal audience. Which is why I assumed they had the PS+ hook. Seamless "social" racing is a novel concept but how can it work if hardly anyone plays? Which begs the question how the servers could possibly be as "overloaded" as they claim. Whatever though, I don't know anything about that kind of stuff. Sincerely hope they can get the ship turned around. I would love to support this.

You cannot possibly know how many people are playing, and I have 2 people on my friends list playing call of duty and gtaV combined, so yea...

Moving on, I wonder off the Renault DeZir had been tweaked, it has a top speed of 112mph, or maybe other full electrics will be added?

My one race before leaving for work this morning was quickly filled and launched...hoping there are some stealth server side updates in here

Zalusithix

Oh god... looked up what the Lykan Hypersport was... I wonder if they're going to give us the option of whether we want rubies, diamonds, yellow diamonds, or sapphires in our headlights instead of car colors. ;)

Vein

Banned
New Scottish course is a beauty. Elevation changes too. Not sure if my last post made it. Anyway, this game is amazing and keeps getting better. You honestly cannot beat this lighting. You want it in everything now. Would be so cool to have dynamic nights like this in most FPS.

At any rate support will be awesome. DC was unfairly given a boot. It will come back though. Weather will make sure of it. This is THE beast racer out. PCars will not replace it for this old dude. This one plays so well for a 30FPS game. Weather is going to be amazeballs.

pager99

New Scottish course is a beauty. Elevation changes too. Not sure if my last post made it. Anyway, this game is amazing and keeps getting better. You honestly cannot beat this lighting. You want it in everything now. Would be so cool to have dynamic nights like this in most FPS.

At any rate support will be awesome. DC was unfairly given a boot. It will come back though. Weather will make sure of it. This is THE beast racer out. PCars will not replace it for this old dude. This one plays so well for a 30FPS game. Weather is going to be amazeballs.
I agree driveclub is underrated

breakfuss

You cannot possibly know how many people are playing, and I have 2 people on my friends list playing call of duty and gtaV combined, so yea...

Uh, I wasnt extrapolating anything from it. That's just how things appear from my corner. Hell, ordinarily it wouldn't concern me what was being played, but this is a social game. Always connected. Clubs etc. Isn't that one of main the selling points? It really does seem like people (again, this is only based on my list) were either waiting to try it through the PS+ edition or got turned off by the botched retail launch. I say this in direct reply to the person who suggested it was just salty X1 owners making the noise.

i_max

Neo Member
Nah, I know full well that the hypers don't control the same. Every class has differences in how you have to approach the course, and different cars within a class require different tactics. Once again, I play pretty much the same track over and over, so I know every corner, bump, and dip by heart. How the course is optimally handled depends entirely on how the car responds to the corners. Sometimes by riding a bit over the curb on the one side of the S you can better maintain speed. Sometimes a full slow down is in order or you'll spin out the car. Sometimes it changes depending on how fast you're coming into it (first lap vs follow up). This is just within the first few seconds of the lap. There's plenty of nuances in the following corners as well.

I just don't care much for the handling / driving experience of most of the hypers (at least on that course). Yes they're faster, and even doing poorly in one can result in a faster lap time than damn near perfection in the lower classes. That doesn't necessarily make them more fun to drive though. Basically the classes go from trying to finesse every last drop of power out of them (hatches) to trying to keep the absurd amounts of power under control (hypers). Sports, performance and super classes fall in the middle of that band. I don't think it's unusual to prefer different ratios of finessing to tempering.

I'm certain with enough time I could get quite good with any of the hypers. I'm not so sure I'd ever enjoy the experience of getting better though. Much like driving most of the Mercedes in the game (in any class). I could get up in the leaderboards with them, but I hated every minute of it. Only drove them to get the drive X miles progress points, and hopefully will never touch them again. Basically getting good != enjoyment. People can get good at doing tests in school by practicing. I haven't met many people that actually enjoy that process though. Time will tell. I have plenty of miles to put on those cars the game will effectively force on me. Still, statistically I have more cases of continuing to dislike cars that I don't enjoy at first compared to coming to like them after hating them.

The P1 though is a different story. The KERS and DRS add another element to the game, and I don't mind the handling. Still haven't used it enough to really get a good handle of it yet, but I enjoy my time with it.

It took me 3 tries to get the legendary trophy, which in the end I felt was actually easier then some other ones. All you have to do is feel the car right, if you think its sliding more, go easy on the throttle, too fast - brake more, really simple handling will win you the trophy, and AI keeps making more mistakes as well.

Zalusithix

It took me 3 tries to get the legendary trophy, which in the end I felt was actually easier then some other ones. All you have to do is feel the car right, if you think its sliding more, go easy on the throttle, too fast - brake more, really simple handling will win you the trophy, and AI keeps making more mistakes as well.

No clue about the tour and trophies to go with them. I have two stars from the first race, and no desire yet to do any more lol. I can't even remember what the AI was like back then anymore. The only cars I see are other players' ghosts, and when you're watching what the top ghost is doing... it's rarely simple. It's not so much a matter of completing a track without crashing so much as it is a matter of completing a track while picking up every fraction of a second possible. Even minor mistakes will cost precious hundredths of a second that can separate you from the next person on the leaderboards in the case of hypers.

I checked out the updates. Things seem to be much improved for me. Getting into a multiplayer match was much quicker, clubs and leaderboards loaded a lot quicker and I only had one disconnect from the server during my session. I didn't run into any crazy faceoffs with speeds of 3000mph either. They seemed to work really well.

On the bad side I'm back to being kicked after races in multiplayer again. Sometimes it was after one race, other times it was after a couple. It's not as bad as it was to get back in to a race so it's not a game breaker for me. Challenges still don't work either. I really want them to get working, as I think they'd add another dimension to the game for me.

So, while it's still not working great, it's definitely an improvement. I can sort of see the light at the end of the tunnel now as far as it relates to this game being fully functional. I just hope it's not a train coming along (I'm joking obviously).

Edit: I should add that I'm in the US. I don't know if that matters as far as connections go but, I would like to see if the game works better in EU than US.

OmegaDL50

So if let me see if I understand this right.

Instead of the Season Pass going from November to June as originally planned, because of the networking issues, they basically pushed everything forward a month instead?

So December to July?

Does this mean we basically got Novemebers planned Season Pass content for free and are getting basically another month of content out of the deal that was initially unplanned?

So then

50 default Driveclub Cars
9 Free DLC Cars
38 Season Pass purchase cars
and 5 November pack cars

So with everything all set and done the full car count is going to be 102?

As for tracks, the default game has 55 tracks (Does this include reverse routes as well?) and they are planning to add 11 more? So 66, or is it 132 because of reverse routes?

All things considered for the few that claim Driveclub is barebones on content the default game is decent contender against other Arcade racers, factoring the Season Pass and Free Car / Track content it exceeds most. Still it's long time from now until July 2015.

Zalusithix

So, while it's still not working great, it's definitely an improvement. I can sort of see the light at the end of the tunnel now as far as it relates to this game being fully functional. I just hope it's not a train coming along (I'm joking obviously).

The train reference is kind of amusing, because it might actually come to pass. While things are getting better, I'm not totally confident that we wont get smashed backwards whenever the PS+ version hits. I really hope that wont be the case. The game doesn't need another setback.

Moozo

I'm confused, people have mentioned new menus but I can't see anything different
(apart from in multiplayer lobbies, clicking on names now shows level and club info etc.)

OK it's under Tour. Seems an odd place to put it.

Wester Ros is a great track. Exactly what I wanted from a DLC point of view, elevations and corners that are found on the p2p but lap based, perfect.

If those cars are indicative of the future cars in the season pass then I might just bite. I look forward to seeing how the Renault DeZir interior looks in the game but mainly I want to try the Caterham SP/300.R.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So if let me see if I understand this right.

Instead of the Season Pass going from November to June as originally planned, because of the networking issues, they basically pushed everything forward a month instead?

So December to July?

Does this mean we basically got Novemebers planned Season Pass content for free and are getting basically another month of content out of the deal that was initially unplanned?

So then

50 default Driveclub Cars
9 Free DLC Cars
38 Season Pass purchase cars
and 5 November pack cars

So with everything all set and done the full car count is going to be 102?

As for tracks, the default game has 55 tracks (Does this include reverse routes as well?) and they are planning to add 11 more? So 66, or is it 132 because of reverse routes?

All things considered for the few that claim Driveclub is barebones on content the default game is decent contender against other Arcade racers, factoring the Season Pass and Free Car / Track content it exceeds most. Still it's long time from now until July 2015.

There's no reason to believe the DLC will stop coming in July, only that it will no longer be included in the Season Pass.

Top Bottom