• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Siege III |OT| Obsidian plus complete lack of ambition equals...

Ricker

zatara said:
You are 6 hours into just the DLC?

Yep,like I said though,I`m kinda grinding to reach level 35 and I read everything and try different equipment and all,if you rush through the main DLC quest,maybe it could take 5 hours...I am not finished yet but pretty sure i`m in the last dungeon.

zatara

Ricker said:
Yep,like I said though,I`m kinda grinding to reach level 35 and I read everything and try different equipment and all,if you rush through the main DLC quest,maybe it could take 5 hours...I am not finished yet but pretty sure i`m in the last dungeon.

Hell 5 hours of hack and slash isn't bad for dlc. They dropped the ball big time by not having NG+ though.

Ricker

KoreanBarbecue said:
I just finished up the new DLC, but for the life of me, can't figure out how to respec my character. Any advice?

There`s a big fountain in the middle of the main small village in the desert,it`s there...I think you need an item and it costs 22,000 a shot I believe but by then I had over 100,000.

Akkad said:
Is the DLC a separate game with your character? Or is it like Fallout part of the whole game?
It's part of the game. That said I can't seem to find my endgame save on the list. I finished the game awhile back got dlc couple days ago but have no idea how to start it if you already finish the game. When I choose continue it just put me right before final fight, so I did that again but end game save is no where to be found.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
antiquegamer said:
It's part of the game. That said I can't seem to find my endgame save on the list. I finished the game awhile back got dlc couple days ago but have no idea how to start it if you already finish the game. When I choose continue it just put me right before final fight, so I did that again but end game save is no where to be found.

I had the same problem but I was just loading the last couple saves before the end of the game, which apparently isn''t the "End Game" save. There was a specific save that the game made which I found that was actually called "End Game Save", but it was just an auto-save that happened before you warp to the final area, but not actually at the final boss. So it was actually kinda a ways back on my save list, I had to go find it. That may be the same deal for you.

Mattdaddy said:
I had the same problem but I was just loading the last couple saves before the end of the game, which apparently isn''t the "End Game" save. There was a specific save that the game made which I found that was actually called "End Game Save", but it was just an auto-save that happened before you warp to the final area, but not actually at the final boss. So it was actually kinda a ways back on my save list, I had to go find it. That may be the same deal for you.

Ah, thanks. I will scroll through my save game and see if I can find it when I get home.

I've been playing DS1 and 2 a lot lately and love them both.

I know DS3 is completely different, but personally I am looking forward to the huge change.

rockx4

I just started playing and I have to say I'm having a lot of fun. It's a lot better than I expected given all the negative comments I read around the release of the game. I was able to get it for $15 a couple months back but never got around to playing it until today.

I started off with Lucas. The sword combat is a lot of fun, switching from 1h\shield to 2hand is really quick. I'm liking the combat a lot. Graphics is a bit plain, but it's not bad. My only problem is how the frame rate stutters in Raven's Hill. I'm playing on the 360, is it any better on the PS3?

Taoofberg

I found myself really enjoying this, which particularly surprised me because I did not like the demo. I finished the game feeling like my dialogue choices really impacted the narrative, though I wonder if playing through it a second time would dispel my illusion. Anyone have experience with multiple characters/choices?

I went with Anjali; swapping between stabbing with a spear and hucking fireballs as a fire spirit was fun. No footstep splashes in watery areas was a nice touch, since Anjali is the only character that floats, and only in fire form.

JJD

So I have this game on my backlog and I'm thinking of giving it a go...

Is there any consensus on which character is the most fun to play? I really can't decide between the sword guy, the fire lady or the gunslinger babe...

Labadal

So I have this game on my backlog and I'm thinking of giving it a go...

Is there any consensus on which character is the most fun to play? I really can't decide between the sword guy, the fire lady or the gunslinger babe...

Katarina and Reinhart were the most fun to play, imho. They are both glass cannons. If used correctly, you will destroy everything with Reinhart. Katarina is great for focusing on single targets. Not a big fan of Lucas. Anjali was fun at times, but I don't think she can compare to the other two I mentioned.

Corto

Anjali is a ton of fun. But I almost always tend to choose magic/DPS/range characters. I almost never use the human form of Anjali (more melee oriented) too. I'll try Reinhart someday.

duckroll

Got the game for 5 bucks off Amazon earlier this week. Finally beat it today. Now that I've played the entire game I feel I can give a much fairer opinion on the title compared to the demo. Unfortunately it's not a particular great impression still. I'll say the game started out as a 5/10 game, totally average and boring with no outstanding features at all for the first 2-3 hours. As I played more, and the combat got more depth, and the story got a bit more interesting, it became maybe a 6.5/10 game. By the end of the game, the few highlights in the story and some good boss battles elevated the game to maybe a solid 7/10. I'll say some moments in the game feel like 7.5/10, but they're never consistent enough to really affect the overall impression of the game.

What I liked about the game:

+ Combat mechanics themselves are pretty sound. Good systems in terms of how they balance the stats for different forms of damage dealing, and ability use. It means that different equipment are sometimes more or less useful depending on what sort of combat character you're using instead of just specific stats affecting all damage.

+ The tech is rock solid. Good framerate, seamless world, fast initial loading, no loading during gameplay, textures look sharp, environmental modeling is pretty good. Some areas look great.

+ There's some attempt to make a straight action rpg a little bit more interesting with non-combat quests later on, especially in Stonebridge. There are a few moments of Obsidian's forte there, which their fans have come to expect.

+ The ending was really detailed and did a good job of summarizing the state of the world and the consequences of the player's choices throughout the game. Again, this is something that fans would expect from Obsidian, so it's nice to see that they did put in the effort at the very end at least.

What I didn't like about the game:

- The overall story is boring. The characters are generic. The world is generic. Everything feels like the first chapter of Neverwinter Nights 2, without ever getting to a point where the adventure actually gets interesting and elevates itself above the random fantasy RPG plot.

- The combat feedback is pretty iffy, especially in melee. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed playing the game at all with a melee character, so it's a good thing I went with the gun character. At least range attacks kinda feel like there is decent feedback, at least when enemies get knocked back by my power shots, and seeing them fly into the air when I kill them. It would be totally boring to see melee attacks just slide and float through enemies as you attack, especially bosses. They need better animations.

- Too much useless loot/too much boring loot/too much "loot". The game desperately suffers from Mass Effect 1 syndrome, where you have a limited inventory, and you pick up garbage everywhere you go. With 4 different characters but only 2 on an active party, there is a good chance that most players will stick with 2 characters, which means there are 2 entire equipment sets which go unused. Even within the characters you use, there will probably be a very limited amount of gear which will be useful based on your character build. That means you pick up so much garbage that in no time you will find yourself having to go back into the investory and convert to omnigel transmute shit just so you can pick up more stuff which you won't want to use either. Lol.

- Garbage online multiplayer mode. I don't even thing I need to expand on this. It is total garbage. Every single part of it. Camera, story logic, how character saves are handled, etc. Everything. This game is unplayable in online multiplayer with 3-4 players. It is clearly meant for local co-op, and they shoehorned an online mode into it, adding 4 player capacity, without changing anything about the game. Shameful.

Overall, I'll say that the biggest problem with the game, and what led it to poor reviews and poor sales, is that Square Enix and Obsidian were trying to sell what is essentially imo a 39.99 sort of game for full price. This is a 10 hour long action RPG with a boring set of characters in a boring world based on a boring franchise which is pretty much dead, and it has shitty online multiplayer. There's really nothing going for this game in a crowded market filled with far better alternatives.

Hi2u

Banned
I agree with all those points, especially about how dull it is and crappy hit feedback. I didn't enjoy this game at all. I normally love dungeon crawlers. This was just boring as fuck. Hell a xbla game Torchlight is way better than this. Sacred 2 is another great alternative. Even LOTR War in the North is way better.

Yoshiya

I forgot I had this. I did every sidequest up to the final dungeon on hard and then just stopped, I think school started again. My character build is less than optimal, if I buy the DLC can I respec before the final boss? How much is it?

I was quite hyped for it till a friend told me the classes were gender fixed then i just loose every ounce of hype i had. If i have to play a rpg and invest in a character i want it to have the same gender as i am just so to connect better.

duckroll

But I thought the game didnt have poor sales? Is 800k poor?

800k shipped and stuffed. The game didn't actually sell anything close to that.

I was quite hyped for it till a friend told me the classes were gender fixed then i just loose every ounce of hype i had. If i have to play a rpg and invest in a character i want it to have the same gender as i am just so to connect better.

But Dungeon Siege 3 has no character creation. You don't create a character who is you, you just play as a named chatacter who you select. It's a lot like a Secret of Mana game.

I'm the complete opposite actually, when I play games I rarely want to feel like I'm playing myself, it just seems pointless and masturbatory. Well, the former at least. I played WoW for years and my main characters were a fat little male dwarf and a somewhat demure human woman; I'm male and lanky, for the record.

When I roll a character in an RPG I do so thinking more about how I want the character to behave, which is why I love games like New Vegas which make all the little RP choices matter. Gender is always an interesting one to explore when it's done well and not just a matter of NPCs saying stuff like "but you're a woman, how can you defeat this evil lawnmower???"

Not really on-topic but I find the choices people make with character creation disturbingly fascinating.

Yoshiya

I don't like or want the player character to be a projection of myself, though some character traits of course filter through in choices made. I often pick female, mainly because the modes of character interaction are less off-putting when tiresome game ideas of masculinity are out of the picture.

duckroll

I just thought of a few other things which the game could have really improved on:

- Whenever you first access lore journals and stuff in the environment, it appears as this tiny pop-up window which you have to scroll through with the right analog stick. This is annoying to read and as a result I basically skipped almost all of them. On the other hand, trying to read them later in the inventory menu showed that they were displayed on this large fullscreen book thing which made it so much easier to read. If the book view is what pops up when you first access it instead, I would be much more motivated to read and learn more about the world. The bad presentation made me just not want to bother.

- I just realized that outside of Anjani, no other character is actually part of the ending itself. This feels kinda lame, considering I played as Katarina and the only character mentioned in the ending at all is "your companion Anjani". It's kinda odd that they have story hooks for all the 4 characters throughout the game, but at the end nothing is expanded on for any of the other characters.

Also, while trying to collect my thoughts on the game and think about the overall experience, it dawned upon me how SMALL the entire game is. There are only a handful of areas, the game is 10 hours long, there is very little substantial optional content that makes the game feel larger, the causeway system as presented is a sort of a waste because of how small the world is, there is only like 1 town and 1 city in the entire game, etc. Kinda sad in terms of content really.

Labadal

@ duckroll: From what I have read, Obsidian were happy with sales.

I think most of your points are good. For me, the game was a solid 8/10 despite the broken online multiplayer. The multiplayer was probably something they had to do because Square Enix told them so (pure speculation from my part).

I wouldn't mind Obsidian getting another shot. This was their first Onyx game. While it might not have been the most ambitious game in the world, it made me happy for another reason: Obsidian has a not so buggy engine to work with.

Just picked up the game, any suggestions on what character I should pick and what difficulty I should play on to maximize fun and minimize frustration? Thanks. (I may or may not be playing co op depending if I can get my wife to try it or not.)

Labadal

Just picked up the game, any suggestions on what character I should pick and what difficulty I should play on to maximize fun and minimize frustration? Thanks. (I may or may not be playing co op depending if I can get my wife to try it or not.)

I'd play it on hardcore and use either the mage or the gun chick. What system are you playing on? I'm assuming PC. I've been itching to play the game again, tell me if you're interested.

Since it's selling for 5. Im interested in multiplayer but i don't want to repeat my history with Borderlands in which it was impossible to me to get a good experience, since most player were at high levels or just veteran at low levels breezing through the game.

Would this be the case with DSIII?

DLC is 60% off today. What's the consensus? I picked DS3 up when it was $5 at Amazon, but haven't had a change to play it yet.

Is the DLC worth another $4?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Any deals on the main game itself? Been meaning to pick it up

Maybe you're already aware, but it's a daily deal on Steam for $20. I think the game is "worth" about that much, but relative to other deals on Steam, that's not a great price. It's been out several months, it should be half that by now.

DLC is 60% off today. What's the consensus? I picked DS3 up when it was $5 at Amazon, but haven't had a change to play it yet.

Is the DLC worth another $4?
I'm playing it now and it's good so far, mostly it's just more of the same but the new areas are pretty. The enchanting is cool though it probably should have been there from the start.

I'm playing it now and it's good so far, mostly it's just more of the same but the new areas are pretty. The enchanting is cool though it probably should have been there from the start.

Thanks for the impressions, the enchanting did really interest me. I guess I can afford $9 for the complete DS3 experience.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Picked the game up for $5 on that sale a while back, and just started it a few days ago. About 7 hours in now and still having fun. Definitely flawed, but easily worth the $5 I spent, and I would probably say up to $15 or $20 so far. Not likely to move past that value level, though.

Pakkidis

I'm about to beat the game, and I really enjoyed it a lot. The game does suffer in certain areas but on the whole it is definitely worth 5-15$ range.

Effect

How is the frame rate in the final game compared to the demo (PS3)?

Also do we know if Square-Enix were happy or at least satisfied with how the game sold in the end? Enough for them to want to continue the franchise?

duckroll

I'm not quite sure I understand the hate this game is getting...

I don't think there is very much hate. Just a lot of apathy because honestly it's a generic game which doesn't contribute anything to the genre it is in, and the final product just pretty average and not very good at all.

Anyway, I bought the DLC since it was like 2 bucks on Steam for the daily deal. Will post impressions whenever I can be bothered to play through that.

Yuripaw

Banned
I picked this game up during the last steam sale, and I wasn't really aware of any issues, but is the PC version of this known for having bad programming at all? My pc runs most of my games pretty solid, and the framerate kinda sucks for this game.

Top Bottom