• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Siege III |OT| Obsidian plus complete lack of ambition equals...

Takuan

Snuggler said:
Is it just me, or is gold useless? All of my equiped items throughout the entire game have been loot, so now I have 70K in gold and nothing to spend it on.
Money definitely seems to come easy in this game, with no real need to spend it. I put my first few hours in today, and while I've found the occasional gem at the shops, everything I'm using at the moment has been a treasure/monster drop.

As for my thoughts on the experience, I'm generally having a good enough time. I chose Katarina and am having fun switching between dual-wield and the rifle, cursing and stunning enemies as I roll around avoiding stuff. Normal difficulty is pretty easy, outside of a few fights where I had to keep on my toes to avoid getting smashed to death. The rolling is something different for this genre, and it definitely adds a bit of flair to the combat. The story hasn't been anything special so far, although it's not bad by any means. Again, I'm only a few hours in and just got to the
Royalists' camp that was ambushed by Jeyne's army

The only thing that really bothers me is the camera. I've come across a couple of areas already where I wished the game had a true mouse-look with controllable zoom, but the game restricts you to that almost bird's eye view angle with a fixed zoomed-in and zoomed-out distance.

It's a tad disappointing to read that this isn't really a loot game, because I love my loots. I want my character to be able to rock cool armor and weapons. Are you guys telling me that Katarina's going to be wearing the same white/turqoise blouse and thigh-high stockings for the entire game?

Edit: Oh, and for those on the fence - for the record, I would *not* have paid full price for this game. It's strictly a "saw it on sale and don't have anything better on my plate for the moment" game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hmm... is this game technically stable or riddled with bugs/crashes? It seems interesting, but it's Obsidian...... so.......

For Xbox360.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Laughing Banana said:
Hmm... is this game technically stable or riddled with bugs/crashes? It seems interesting, but it's Obsidian...... so.......

For Xbox360.

I'm playing PC, but I haven't had a single crash or noticeable bug in 12 hours. The consensus seems to be that it's a competently polished game.

Naeblish

I'm about 8 hours in and loving this game. Playing the warrior on hardcore, and it's the perfect difficulty. Some fights might be hard and a bit frustrating, but blocking and rolling are key to surviving, and once you get a few more skills, the combat is awesome. I just hope it stays hard, Alpha Protocol went from awesome to insanely boring when your character became god-like (stealth/pistols). On many levels the game is an obvious b-game, but it's very fun, i can recommend it to anyone if you can get it cheap.

Grath

Laughing Banana said:

For Xbox360.

I played through on Xbox, and to my biggest surprise, there were absolutely no bugs (apart from some really insignificant ones, like a few errors in pathfinding with the monsters). The multiplayer system is awful, but it works as they intended it, even the netcode was pretty good.

Llyranor

Naeblish said:
I'm about 8 hours in and loving this game. Playing the warrior on hardcore, and it's the perfect difficulty. Some fights might be hard and a bit frustrating, but blocking and rolling are key to surviving, and once you get a few more skills, the combat is awesome. I just hope it stays hard, Alpha Protocol went from awesome to insanely boring when your character became god-like (stealth/pistols). On many levels the game is an obvious b-game, but it's very fun, i can recommend it to anyone if you can get it cheap.

The difficulty on the hardest diff ramps up nicely. We've been dying more as the game progresses, and the final (?) battle we're at right now is the hardest we've encountered in the game so far.

I agree that it's a B game, and I wouldn't necessarily have gotten it at full price, but there are pricedrops already.

----

Yeah, haven't encountered any major bugs at all. This is an Obsidian game?

I think the Hardcore level is pretty hard especially solo ... but then again my skill at video games is not what it used to be. I also have been playing co-op with my daughter on Normal and it is easier but it's perfect for her or someone who is not hardcore gamer.

As far as bug, I haven't run into any and the game run pretty good. It has one patch on the 360 not sure what it's for but the game seems to be running smoother than when I first got it. Also the wonky camera can be somewhat fix by turning off the auto camera.

I am doing 2nd run through with Lucas but I don't really like him as much as Katarina.

I don't think last battle was too bad, the one I have the most problem with was Rajani.

Man, I was hoping that Obsidian was on a role. Alpha Protocol is one of my favorite games of this generation, and New Vegas was pretty good.

But I keep trying the demo every few weeks since I downloaded it the day it was available, and it is so much ass.

ced

Grisby said:
I finshed the game about a month ago and really enjoyed it. The art was great and the combat fast. Even the story held my interest.

Oh and I bumped this because there's an expansion coming in October, $9.99!
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-01-dungeon-siege-3-dlc-announced

I wonder if they will add the ability to pull that damn camera out during couch coop, that shit ruined the game. It's sad to say, but if $10 is what it takes I guess I will pay it.

From the Amazon thread:

Amazon X360 Lightning deals (9/1/11) #1
Another lightning deal today

11:00 AM PDT - This robust RPG comes to the next-gen console Dungeon Siege 3 $34.99

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i cant say im really looking forward to getting this. Its probably the only Obsidian game that really isnt doing much for me. Havent tried the demo, btw. Its.. its just.. Dungeon Siege. Ugh.

I'm six hours playing as Anjali in and just finished up the Hero's Crypt and Katarina joined my party.

I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm happy to see DLC is coming since I predict I'll still want to play more once I'm done.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
water_wendi said:
i cant say im really looking forward to getting this. Its probably the only Obsidian game that really isnt doing much for me. Havent tried the demo, btw. Its.. its just.. Dungeon Siege. Ugh.
Demo didn't do much for me. I thought it was completely bland. A benevolent Gaffer gifted the title to me and I manage to put a bit more time into it(I got sidetracked by Deus Ex, so I'll be going back to it soon). But I'm really enjoying the Gunner Girls' gameplay much more than the demo characters.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The main game takes a bit to get going and it takes a while to kind of get your grips with some of the characters, but once things click and you get deeper in, there is some seriously great stuff. The haunted mansion bit pretty much sold me on the game.

Their implementation of co-op does make sense once you actually play it/experience it.

HamPster PamPster said:
I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm happy to see DLC is coming since I predict I'll still want to play more once I'm done.
My friend and I did most of the sidequests and we finished in about 15 hours and I was definitely wanting more at the end.

Woorloog

Banned
I tried the demo and it was okay but nothing exceptional. But now i understood that it has same console co-op, right? If true, then i may actually get the game as i like same console cooperative gaming.

Labadal

zkylon said:
Is that it? I recall from the demo, being very annoyed by the locked camera and the weird WASD movement. Nothing done about that?

Camera is unchanged. You still use keyboard for character movement, but you can now strafe, I think. Haven't played it in a while, and I mostly used a gamepad so I don't remember how the changes worked. They should probably be available for the demo too.

Woorloog: It does have local co-op. Two local co-op players could also create or join an online game with two other people.

bryehn

Finally finished this with a buddy. It was pretty dull with terrible difficulty spikes (read cheap) on bosses, no worthwhile loot whatsoever, a jumpy camera and tight tether. Glad it was still worth $20 when I traded it in.

Samus4145

I got a voucher for this on Steam for buying a 550ti card last night. Still haven't played it. I loved the original however.

Llyranor

Woorloog said:
I tried the demo and it was okay but nothing exceptional. But now i understood that it has same console co-op, right? If true, then i may actually get the game as i like same console cooperative gaming.
2p local, yes. If it's anything like the PC version, both of you can also play with up to 2 other players online too.

Bukana

How is the co-op gameplay !?
Do we share the same exp, same money !?
I've heard that once your friend joins you and quits, all the exp and money will not be brought back to his character,
is this true !?

Labadal

Bukana said:
How is the co-op gameplay !?
Do we share the same exp, same money !?
I've heard that once your friend joins you and quits, all the exp and money will not be brought back to his character,
is this true !?

When you start a co-op game, players share gold and inventory. You both get to level up and equip your characters as you see fit. These characters are used in this playthrough only. If your friend decides to temporarily leave the game, you (the host) can play on and your friends character will be controlled by AI. If your friend decides to rejoin the game at a later time, the progress(level, equipment) of that character will be saved.

Shintoki: I'm doing a hardcore run with Katarina, and I mainly focus on agility and will.

koji

Just picked it up for 20euros on this site. (registers on Steam) It`s 11pounds if you`re in the UK, seems like a pretty sweet deal.

Kinda curious, was a big fan of DS1, craving for some RPG action.

ironcreed

Banned
Just got around to starting this last night and am getting pretty hooked early on. It's funny, I played the demo late one night and it really did not do anything for me, but decided to Gamefly it and my reaction is the complete opposite. Strange how you sometimes can end up loving a game after first impressions failed to win you over. Clear case of that for me here.

Side note: The environments, music and overall atmosphere really stand out in this one. Just good stuff.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It is pretty darn fun. I didn't exactly go in with high expectations, but sometimes that's a good thing. I enjoyed the combat and it's just the right length for this kind of game. It moves at a pretty fast clip and it didn't overstay it's welcome.

I look forward to the DLC quest.

Man, I don't know what the fuck I'm doing wrong with this game. I'm playing as the fire woman character and the game's been really easy up till Stonebridge, where suddenly there's all these goddamn automatons doing a ton of damage that is killing me in no time. I'm now on the Dapper Old Gent boss fight and have died 5 fucking times in a row trying to beat him. Is there any way to re-spec my character? As I've largely ignored defence bonus skills in favour of upping the fire and melee attacks.

*edit, lol - never mind, beat him on the 7th attempt. Still, is there any way to re-spec? Need to put more power into healing powers.

Labadal

Bootaaay said:
Man, I don't know what the fuck I'm doing wrong with this game. I'm playing as the fire woman character and the game's been really easy up till Stonebridge, where suddenly there's all these goddamn automatons doing a ton of damage that is killing me in no time. I'm now on the Dapper Old Gent boss fight and have died 5 fucking times in a row trying to beat him. Is there any way to re-spec my character? As I've largely ignored defence bonus skills in favour of upping the fire and melee attacks.

*edit, lol - never mind, beat him on the 7th attempt. Still, is there any way to re-spec? Need to put more power into healing powers.

There's no way to respec right now, but they did announce new DLC - this DLC will allwo you to respec.

Defence isn't always needed. I played the game on the highest difficulty, and I completely ignored defence. I put all my focus on attack dps, ability dps and critical hits. What you have to do is to dodge a LOT.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jim-jam bongs said:
That may be true but uh... I was just letting GAF know that I had noticed it.

;)

Well, I didn't know, so your post wasn't in vain.

Anyways, I'll buy this when I have time to play it. I look forward to bringing my high level Katarina over and blasting the fuck out of some bad guys.

What ever happened to the DLC? That GreenManGaming link doesn't work and I don't see the DLC on steam

Is it out this week?

I still need to finish the game, I'll probably pick it back up tonight. I was just thinking about it today for some reason

hmmmdonuts

Neo Member
ironcreed said:
I received this from Gamefly yesterday. Looking forward to checking it out after I finish up Dead Island.

I'm really interested in trying this well. Big ARPG fan, just have a lot of games to go through still in the backlog.

Labadal

HamPster PamPster said:
What ever happened to the DLC? That GreenManGaming link doesn't work and I don't see the DLC on steam

Is it out this week?

I still need to finish the game, I'll probably pick it back up tonight. I was just thinking about it today for some reason

Should be out this week.

Ricker

If you liked the game this DLC is awesome,I`m about 6 hours in,doing all the little sidequests,reading the Lore and trying to reach the new level cap of 35(currently 34 in the last dungeon)...some cool mini Boss fights,one challenging Boss fight so far(playing on normal),I had to slot the new essences you find throughout the new areas and ennemies....good stuff,well worth it.

zatara

Ricker said:
If you liked the game this DLC is awesome,I`m about 6 hours in,doing all the little sidequests,reading the Lore and trying to reach the new level cap of 35(currently 34 in the last dungeon)...some cool mini Boss fights,one challenging Boss fight so far(playing on normal),I had to slot the new essences you find throughout the new areas and ennemies....good stuff,well worth it.

You are 6 hours into just the DLC?

Top Bottom