• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Siege III |OT| Obsidian plus complete lack of ambition equals...

Thnikkaman said:
Just out of curiosity, how much did you follow the game's development before release? I had never played a Dungeon Siege game before (but I know 3 is radically different) and rented this on a whim. Obsidian + loot has to be good, right? And I'm having a blast. Didn't expect something this polished from them, especially with the environment streaming.
The loot isn't that good and the co-op is worthless that's why this game isn't getting much attention. I'd rather have another Alpha Protocol style game than this.

With that said it wasn't bad, just short and linear.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
SimpleDesign said:
The loot isn't that good and the co-op is worthless that's why this game isn't getting much attention. I'd rather have another Alpha Protocol style game than this.
Fair enough. As much as I love AP's plot branching and sheer scale I'm just really really enjoying the control and combat in this. Which is weird, considering how modern loot-em-ups have stats more important than reactions. I'm contantly moving, dodging and punching people - it's been a better game than AP. Helped that I had no expectations at all, I suppose.

Thnikkaman said:
Just out of curiosity, how much did you follow the game's development before release? I had never played a Dungeon Siege game before (but I know 3 is radically different) and rented this on a whim. Obsidian + loot has to be good, right? And I'm having a blast. Didn't expect something this polished from them, especially with the environment streaming.

Hey I agree with that assessment of it, my main point was that it's just not deep enough in terms of loot and skills to warrant a replay, hence the reason this thread is already getting pretty inactive. Definitely not a bad or even mediocre game though.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
jim-jam bongs said:
Hey I agree with that assessment of it, my main point was that it's just not deep enough in terms of loot and skills to warrant a replay, hence the reason this thread is already getting pretty inactive. Definitely not a bad or even mediocre game though.
I wasn't disagreeing with you or having a problem at all. I was just curious about how different our experiences might have been with different levels of prior knowledge.

Thnikkaman said:
I wasn't disagreeing with you or having a problem at all. I was just curious about how different our experiences were with different levels of prior knowledge.

fisting-cat.gif

Labadal

What I would like to see from Obsidian:

Use Onyx Engine.
Use Dungeon Siege III bettle system and make it last for a 40h game.
Alpha Protocol type of choice and concequence.
Fallout: New Vegas openess.
2 companions like KOTOR 2.
Mask of the Betrayer writing.

I would weep tears of joy.

CSampson

Beat the game last night...last boss was pretty lame. Game was pretty short but it was satisfying over all. Loot is pretty useless in this game since most stuff I found was garbage. Then before the last boss I find about 5-7 orange items and just gear up and waste the final boss. Kinda cool to see a summary of your time in the game at the end though.

Labadal

CSampson said:
Beat the game last night...last boss was pretty lame. Game was pretty short but it was satisfying over all. Loot is pretty useless in this game since most stuff I found was garbage. Then before the last boss I find about 5-7 orange items and just gear up and waste the final boss. Kinda cool to see a summary of your time in the game at the end though.

Did you play on normal? hardcore is how it is supposed to be played imo. Normal was way too easy.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I got a question regarding the final area...
In the Spire dungeon, I released the thief Fitch, who said he would sell me items at a discount. Where is his store? I found the bald merchert in one of the archon wings, but that's it. I can't find the Fitch dude anywhere and he is supposed to have awesome stuff.

Mattdaddy said:
In the Spire dungeon, I released the thief Fitch, who said he would sell me items at a discount. Where is his store? I found the bald merchert in one of the archon wings, but that's it. I can't find the Fitch dude anywhere and he is supposed to have awesome stuff.
He shows up right before the transition out of the Spire. He's the last store you'll have access to.

Mattdaddy said:

aaaaaaall the way at the end. You wont be able to miss him

TheExodu5

Banned
The game is okay. The boss fight with the 2x Cyclops plus that martial arts girl is some serious bullshit. It's 10x harder than any other fight in the game. I'm just passed that now...I'm anxious for the game to end at this point.

The loot is boring. The combat is pretty repetitive and encourages dodge rolling far too much. The story is linear, and any choice you have seems mostly inconsequential.

Also, Katrina is completely broken. With her "gain % power on crit" and her empowered sniper ability, she can do about 8000 damage to an enemy without even using up any power or energy whatsoever.

Oh, and playing coop with 2 friends...the camera is absolutely infuriating. It's the worst camera I've ever seen in a game.

TheExodu5 said:
The game is okay. The boss fight with the 2x Cyclops plus that martial arts girl is some serious bullshit. It's 10x harder than any other fight in the game. I'm just passed that now...I'm anxious for the game to end at this point.

The loot is boring. The combat is pretty repetitive and encourages dodge rolling far too much. The story is linear, and any choice you have seems mostly inconsequential.

Also, Katrina is completely broken. With her "gain % power on crit" and her empowered sniper ability, she can do about 8000 damage to an enemy without even using up any power or energy whatsoever.

Yeah. This is definitely how I feel at this point with Katarina.

I'm also right around the point you are, and I'd say Jeyne and her teleport spam are way cheaper than the 2 Cyclops + Archon fight.

Has anyone actually found a use for blocking? I don't think I've ever used it save for when i need the healing spell.

Labadal

I only use block in multiplayer. If an ally is badly hurt and the enemies are targeting me, I block to take some heat off of them. This gives them time to use their heal without any stress on hardcore.

Finally finished the game over course of 3 days. Honestly, I really enjoyed the the game. The game was polished beyond my expectation. The story was decent, though it kinda dragged towards the end

My only complain about this game is the difficulty. The game was way too easy. Reinhard + Vampire spell = cruise.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Just beat the game. I really enjoyed it. The camera wasn't great and the game was fairly linear but overall it was fun. Decent loot, cool abilities awesome art and graphics (except for the 2-d cutscenes that were clearly rushed) and a solid engine that only had a few issues. The story and characters was decent if functional and the music was bland but overall no major complaints.

Ricker

Not sure what you guys mean by Katarina being overpowered...granted I didn`t have any problems per say with her so far,it`s been easy but that War Beast Mammoth fight is impossible right now for me...Katarena is level 20 and I tried it with Ajani as my partner,maybe i`ll switch to Lucas but I don`t think his AI will be good enough to go and kill all the annoying little guys that keep coming at you,on top of the Boss for this fight,he will probably tank the Mammoth and die pretty fast...I still don`t have Reinhart with me even though I found tons of gear for him...is that normal?

TheExodu5

Banned
Ricker said:
Not sure what you guys mean by Katarina being overpowered...granted I didn`t have any problems per say with her so far,it`s been easy but that War Beast Mammoth fight is impossible right now for me...Katarena is level 20 and I tried it with Ajani as my partner,maybe i`ll switch to Lucas but I don`t think his AI will be good enough to go and kill all the annoying little guys that keep coming at you,on top of the Boss for this fight,he will probably tank the Mammoth and die pretty fast...I still don`t have Reinhart with me even though I found tons of gear for him...is that normal?

When you get her talent that gives her back power per crit, her empowered sniper marksman ability becomes ridiculously broken. 6x crit shots, with no power or focus cost.

butsomuch

Keybinding Patch is up
Dungeon Siege III Update Released
Updates to Dungeon Siege III have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

- Keybinding has now been implemented into Dungeon Siege III
- Added two new controls that will allow the players to move left or right. This is included on the keybinding screen.
- Fixes an issue where the gamepad would default to on, even if you have no gamepad plugged in.
- Fixed an issue in Multiplayer where if either the host or the client is using a gamepad and are playing with someone who is using the mouse/keyboard, the host hangs when switching to the ending cutscene.
- Fixed an issue with certain graphic cards where it would occasionally display large black pixels in the middle of the screen.
- Fixed a potential crash when players try to reconnect after disconnecting during a conversation.
- We've implemented a fix that will revert the A/D reversed issue for people that are still reporting this issue.
- Fixed a potential crash when players would join a Multiplayer game in a certain order.

Drakken

I'm playing through this with my brother (local co-op) and we're having a lot of fun; not sure why some of the comments are so negative. It takes me back to the days of the Dark Alliance games, which was some of the most fun I've ever had playing co-op. The interface is well-designed, and the combat and loot are fine (are you expecting multiple items in every chest?). I do wish it supported more than 2 players locally, though.

Now, I haven't played a game like this (besides Daggerdale, ugh) since Dark Alliance, so maybe there are genre norms people have come to expect that I'm not aware of (particularly with loot)? This is basically everything I expected when I bought it.

Question for those who've played it: Does it matter who you sell your stuff to / buy from, or are all the merchants pretty much the same value/cost-wise? For reference, I only have access to the merchant in town, the one with the cart outside of town, and Anton (the blond kid in the main castle place).

I'm second-guessing my decision to play as Reinhart (the mage); not totally sold on his abilities yet. Maybe things will change once I master some of them. My brother picked Katarina, and he's blasting everyone to shreds with her.

Card Boy

Banned
I have spent 4 hours with this over the past few days after getting it from GMG for free (store credit).

I went Katarina and so far I'm enjoying it and doesn't deserve the 73 meta its got, it deserves an extra 10 points easy (shoulda got a 83 meta). I can run the game maxed out at 1920x1080 at Insane graphics and looks gorgeous, it runs like a dream at 60FPS locked on my 5870. I'm playing with the Xbox 360 pad.

Now on to my criticisms.
- Game runs better with an Xbox 360 pad (WHY!?) these games should play better with a mouse
- Loot doesn't change your appearance besides afew different colour schemes and auras
- No randomised areas, a big negative when it comes to re-playability
- No new game + (WHY!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?) This doesn't make sense! Again a big negative when it comes to re-playability
- I don't like Katarina's French accent, but after 4 hours I have learned to deal with it.
Chests stay open and are not relootable for the rest of the game. Outside of Sidequest/Quest reward chests i don't get this at all.

Ricker

Just finished the single player campaign with Katarina and overall,I really enjoyed it...it`s a slow start but the last 2/3 of the game are pretty good,the last section was pretty challenging in some area`s,even on normal,reached level 29 with about 16 hours of game time...I hope the same team makes DS IV,make it a little more open world,with better animations and a longer campaign,it could be awesome.

More people need to give this a shot. I'm really enjoying it so far on PC.

Even *gasp* with a controller!

If anyone wants to get some coop going, add me on Steam: gorillawar1

By the way, intkeys.com has it for for $21. The site's as shady as all hell, but it's legit. It took them about half a day to send me my Steam key, but they did, and it worked fine.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Just finished it up, Normal difficulty single player with Lucas.

The final act was by far the weakest point, but the game was in the end really good. A complete Dark Alliance fix, probably why I enjoyed it so much.

By the end I was essentially in god-mode though (Level 26)

Will definitely be doing this game in some 4 player runs once I get my own copy and some friends get a copy as well. Think it should be fun that way!

Moofers

I have some questions about this game:

-Is the local co-op 2 players, or can a 3rd and 4th join in too?

-Are there any memorable areas that stand out? Please briefly describe one or two of your favorite sections and why you liked them.

-I've read that the loot sucks, but that doesn't really matter if you're playing online since you can't bring over your character to a friend's game. How does the game handle this in local co-op? Does just player 1 distribute stats? Does everybody, but only one profile gets saved? How's it work?

Thanks in advance. Its down to $40 now and I need some GREAT co-op fantasy games for a convention next year. I'm hoping this could be one of them.

Labadal

Moofers said:
I have some questions about this game:

-Is the local co-op 2 players, or can a 3rd and 4th join in too?
Local co-op is 2 players.

-Are there any memorable areas that stand out? Please briefly describe one or two of your favorite sections and why you liked them.
I liked The Foundry. It is the place that keeps Stonebridge running. Basically an underground mine with cyclopses and goblins working there.

-I've read that the loot sucks, but that doesn't really matter if you're playing online since you can't bring over your character to a friend's game. How does the game handle this in local co-op? Does just player 1 distribute stats? Does everybody, but only one profile gets saved? How's it work?
Each player handles his own stat distribution and can equip his character as he likes.

Thanks in advance. Its down to $40 now and I need some GREAT co-op fantasy games for a convention next year. I'm hoping this could be one of them.

Gvaz

Banned
I've been playing this a little and my complaints so far are:
- overheats my laptop (only game that does this)
- no actual map and level design is a joke
- keyboard controls are offensively bad, requiring you to use the controller if you want to avoid throwing your computer out the window
- combat is repetitive and button mashy on normal.
- loot is soso, typical WoW random loot so far
- once you get a companion the difficulty drops

other than that it feels like a 2011 version of KOTOR

Effect

So do we know how this ended up doing sales wise? Didn't hear much during the first few weeks but it's been close to two months now. Did SE or analyst ever say anything?

The price is low enough for me now on Amazon. Though not sure which version I'll go with.

Labadal

Effect said:
So do we know how this ended up doing sales wise? Didn't hear much during the first few weeks but it's been close to two months now. Did SE or analyst ever say anything?

The price is low enough for me now on Amazon. Though not sure which version I'll go with.

No mention of sales at all. I would bet that it did Alpha Protocol numbers up until now.

Labadal

woodypop said:
Anyone? 360 or PS3?

Saw it on clearance for $25. Wondering if it's worth it.

I've heard the 360 version has slightly better framerate than the PS3 version. (I played the PS3 and PC versions myself.)

I used this game's coop to introduce my kid brother to the RPG genre, something I'd never quite been able to convince him to try in the past. Maybe his wide-eyed acceptance rubbed off on me, but we both had a blast and Odo's hilariously vitriolic pronunciation of "Jeyne Kassynder" has become a running joke in the family. The few decision points in the story helped me open his eyes to the potential of interactive narratives and the concept of taking time to think about the consequences of choice in a video game. He became so enamored with skills and loot that he's now hooked on Oblivion and eyeing Mass Effect.

If you need a gateway drug to get friends and family into RPGs, the game's a goddamn steal at $30. Hell, I'd pay ten times that much to kindle the kind of pure gaming pleasure it gave my brother.

Durante

Just completed the game in local coop on PC (hardcore mode). It was really entertaining, and the challenge was mostly well balanced, which is very rare for this kind of game. You really had to use your abilities well in some of the boss fights.

Also very technically competent and pretty game (unexpectedly so). Basically ran locked at 60 FPS with everything maxed including AA.

stryker1138 said:
Odo's hilariously vitriolic pronunciation of "Jeyne Kassynder" has become a running joke in the family
Actually, everyone in the world has this Jeyne Kassynder thing going where they very deliberately pronounce her full name. We also thought it was hilarious. I believe the player characters should have shouted "Jeyne Kassynder!" in a KAAAHHHHN like fashion during the final battle.

Anyway, I like Jeyne, since
she wasn't really evil or incompetent, while most enemies in these games usually are at least one of those.

Finally finished this game, and it was very fun. I am looking forward for sequel but that probably won't happen. I think part of the problem, beside wonky camera is that the block / heal /roll mechanics and focus points combo which are big change from other pop the potions mechanics. Once you get used to that it play a lot like action-game.

It's not a bad game and I perfectly understand the reasoning behind co-op being the way it is. Too bad as I have a lot of fun playing couch co-op with my kid. I really enjoy this type of games and we don't get nearly enough of it in recent console cycle.

Gvaz

Banned
I understand all the hate this has gotten, but if you try and ignore that it's dungeon seige and just a random obsidian rpg, it's actually not bad, if a little lacking in quite a few areas.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've been powering through this over the past several days. It's not exceptional in any aspect, but it's competent across the board. It has a nice sense of progression and I like the flow of combat. I don't think it quite stacks up with Obsidian's previous work, but at least it's relatively polished and bug free.

I'm about to leave the city with the robots so I think I'm nearing the end. Hoping to finish in time for Deus Ex.

ironcreed

Banned
I think I am going to Gamefly this one eventually. I was not crazy about the demo, but think I would actually enjoy the full game based on footage I have seen.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Is it just me, or is gold useless? All of my equiped items throughout the entire game have been loot, so now I have 70K in gold and nothing to spend it on.

Llyranor

According to Steam, I've played about 17 hrs, and I think I'm at the final battle (or one of the final battles). PC version, hardest diff, 3p co-op (mix of online + local; 2 players can play from one PC if you have 2 gamepads).

With the gamepad, controls are spot-on. I played the demo with keyboard, and it was kind of awkward. They work really well with the 360pad.

Negatives:
- Story/characters: What happened, Obsidian? What happened, Ziets?
- Loot: Don't play this if you're solely looking for a loot game with interesting unique items.
- Camera: You can't move too far away from other players. This has gotten us in trouble many times. You learn to live with it, and it's not a game-breaker, but still an annoying issue.

Neutral:
- Main menu music is nice. I don't remember the rest of the music. I think it's ambiant.

Positives:
- Engine/graphics: Fantastic! Looks good, runs smoothly, seamless world with no loading. You couldn't tell this is an Obsidian game. Very promising for future games on the Onyx engine.
- Gameplay: Very enjoyable, and works wonderfully well as a co-op action RPG. As an action game, I find it more dynamic and involving than many other action RPGs. As an RPG, the RPG system is decent enough and allows you to make some interesting choices re: how you customize some of your abilities (not extremely deep, however).

-------

I'll just describe a sample battle (one of my favorite ones from the game - I've kept the specifics vague so that there are no story spoilers at all):

You're trapped in an arena-like environment, where enemies can enter the battlefield from every direction. There's one big strong slow-moving boss; you need to kill this guy to trigger the next sequence in the battle. He's assisted with some shield-wielding knights; also somewhat slow but with good hp. There are also a bunch of fast-moving ninjas that do good damage if you get caught up in their attacks. The knights and ninjas keep respawning until the boss is taken out (yeah, I know, infinite respawns - but I find it works really well in this scenario). Meanwhile, there is another boss in the background (which you can't harm yet) raining down projectiles and area spells (but with good visual and audio cues so that they aren't cheap).

You're constantly overwhelmed by the incoming enemies trying to rush you, dodging around, building up your focus with regular attacks when you can fit them in (to use your abilities), unleashing your stronger abilities to try to reduce their numbers, while also focusing on damaging the boss so as to not just get overwhelmed by eventual attrition. The dynamic system allows you to stay in the fight even when against very bad odds. You can revive your allies if you can spare the 2 secs it requires (I've found you can cut down that time if you roll just as you start the revive animation - not sure if it's actually implemented animation-cancel, or just overlooked programming), and normal attacks building up focus means you never run out of 'mana'.

There's also Rage which you build up by doing damage, which allows you access to other support abilities such as healing (as long as you deal enough damage, you can keep healing, so you don't run out of healing 'items'). You don't just heal instantly, but rather regen 50% of your hp over 30 secs. This means this isn't just an instant win key, but you still need to keep on your toes and evade attacks while your hp is slowly going up; I quite like this. You also use Rage to Empower your normal abilities; this can have various different effects, such as boosts affecting the entire party instead of just one character, or a single high-powered sniper shot spreading into a wave of 5. It's a nice balance of using your Rage abilities (incl. healing), and empowering your other abilities (since Rage doesn't build up that fast).

So you're in this tough fight (the difficulty level makes all the difference, I think; wouldn't nearly be as enjoyable if it were easy) where various kinds of enemies are trying to overwhelm you. You dodge around, building up and trying to efficiently manage Focus and Rage. The fighter is trying to deal with crowd control, using dashing abilities and wave attacks to get enemies out of the way. The mage is lobbing fireballs, summoning minions, and casting area spells to support the team.

-------

I was the sniper. Here's a quick rundown of how the mechanics work in this particularly case. I'll distill it down to what's relevant for this battle. I have a high-powered shot while deals about 90% damage to the ninjas. So, one normal shot + one high-powered would take one out. It takes me 2 normal shots to gain enough focus to get one high-powered. This is my main damage dealer. I've customized the high-powered shot ability to give me some focus back when I kill someone with it. Another one of my abilities is a curse that makes the target receive more critical hits. As I didn't require crits to be able to kill the ninjas, I reserved this one mainly on the boss/knights. Another abilities is a machinegun-ish attack. Grounds me in one place, and will keep shooting until I release the button or run out of focus. I've customized it so that it pushes enemies back and slows them down. This was great at pushing the enemy back when overwhelmed, and built up Rage fairly quick, but would drain my focus really fast. Another support ability was summoning a hound that would help distract enemies; and customized so as to heal me when it dealt damage; summoning it took 3-4 secs, though, which was very dangerous, and also meant I wasn't actively killing things in that time.

For my rage abilities, healing/regen was my main one. I also have one that grants me 30 secs of increased damage, which I would try to keep on at all times if possible. Lastly, I would use rage for my Empowered high-powered shots, which would shoot out 5 in a spread instead of just one. That costs 2 rage orbs; healing and the other ability cost me one; I had 4 in total.

So I would need to build up rage with my MG attack, which required focus that was gained via normal attacks (with the occasional high-powered shot to still maintain good killing potential, as I was the main DPS char in the team), and unleash empowered high-powered shots which would really help clear out the arena when we were overwhelmed, all while reserving some rage for healing as well. Between actively managing the various types of energies, trying to rack up as many kills as I could to give my team some breathing space, and also trying to damage the boss at the same time (otherwise, we would gain no progress), while avoiding all the ninjas chasing us, making sure not to get in range of the knights or the boss, and paying attention to the cues that the other boss in the background was throwing stuff at us - it all made for a very dynamic exciting battle. It definitely got the action part of the combat right. And given that the RPG elements allowed me to custom-tailor my character in this specific way, the RPG system works nicely enough.

-------

(Sorry for the wall)

I'm quite enjoying this game. Very fun co-op action RPG, with good combat. No more, no less. It's not a loot game, and doesn't focus on story/characters/writing at all.

Top Bottom