• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Siege III |OT| Obsidian plus complete lack of ambition equals...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm gonna be disappointed if Obsidian finally made a polished game, and yet the story and characters are boring and generic.

That just doesnt seem fair.

derFeef

HK-47 said:
I'm gonna be disappointed if Obsidian finally made a polished game, and yet the story and characters are boring and generic.

It is a fair trade-off because it is an action rpg. I have yet to see some consequences of my choices but I guess those happen later.

Raide

HK-47 said:

I don't think any of the characters are boring and generic. At least its not Warrior, Elf, Mage and Rogue. :D I would like to see more character development, since there obviously seems choices to makes choices but they don't seem to do anything.

The Storyline (So far) seems pretty interesting and it not another "Ancient evil/Evil King" type story. It is more involving that the first Dungeon Siege games!

~Kinggi~ said:
Well thats great it is good, im just saying it looked pretty terrible.

It does seem a good few were put off by the demo but the full version seems to be pretty slick. It still boils down to your interest in collecting loot. So far I have not had an issues or crashes, so that is a bonus.

ToyBroker

Banned
derFeef said:
It is a fair trade-off because it is an action rpg. I have yet to see some consequences of my choices but I guess those happen later.

Games shouldn't be allowed to be called RPGs if they have no damn story.

And I watched the quicklook of this game a while back on GB. I thought the older mage dude was kinda neat looking with his cool teleports.

Raide

ToyBroker said:
Games shouldn't be allowed to be called RPGs if they have no damn story.

And I watched the quicklook of this game a while back on GB. I thought the older mage dude was kinda neat looking with his cool teleports.

It does have a story. Personally I have not been skipping the story on my first run, just because I want to see what the hell is going on. :D

Arligan

Neo Member
Game is not so bad, but not so good either.I didn't feel like i was playing Hack'n Slash. I prefer re-installing Diablo II or Titan Quest.

HK-47 said:

It makes sense actually. Obsidian tends to overextend themselves by being too ambitious. Dungeon Siege seems to be more limited in scope., that probably makes it easier to have a more consistent and polished game.

Raide said:
While it does start off a little mashy, once you get a few more abilities it really does pay to mix things up a little, especially if enemies are long range or close range.

While not the most amazing engine, it is still really pretty. Some of the locals are really nice and atmospheric. Music is pretty solid and the sound effects are pretty good.

Ploughed (haha) a few more hours into all the classes and I am still enjoying it. Some really tense fights and some of the side quests are fun to do.

The thing about the engine is that I get the impression it's going to be their Warcraft 3 engine; not really competitive technologically, but stable and polished with a low barrier for entry hardware-wise. If it had shipped with higher resolution textures I think that a lot of the "looks like a budget game" comments would have been avoided. That said, while you're playing the game it doesn't feel budget at all, because it's got a nice coat of polish which is really evident when you see it in action. No loading screens, never hitches, has really pretty particle effects and surprisingly detailed shadows etc.

And yeah, I looooove the Heartseeking Shot sound and Katarina's VA.

HK-47 said:

Don't worry man, it's not as bad as all that. I've been really pleasantly surprised to find that the lore and dialogue are fairly well-written, and it's pretty obvious that the major choices you make are going to alter the story later on, so in that respect it's very much an Obsidian take on the ARPG genre.

Played the demo. Looks bad. Plays like shit.

Think I'll pass on this one. I'd suggest others do the same. Or at least wait for it to be sub $20.

derFeef

GrandHarrier said:

Think I'll pass on this one. I'd suggest others do the same. Or at least wait for it to be sub $20.
But, but... people are enjoying it, I'd suggest everyone check it out.

GrandHarrier said:

Great suggestion, when the consens from people here who actually played the full game is generally positive....

I'm 8 hours in now and the game is still very good. The combat also actually gets harder (playing Lucas) and you have to watch for your life + roll out of combat pretty often.

near

Gold Member
I'm about 3 hours into this now and I'm quite enjoying it. I can't compare this to the demo because I was on a media black-out, so I'm uncertain of any changes between them, though if its identical to this final build then I really don't see what the problem is.

near said:
I'm about 3 hours into this now and I'm quite enjoying it. I can't compare this to the demo because I was on a media black-out, so I'm uncertain of any changes between them, though if its identical to this final build then I really don't see what the problem is.

My problem with the demo was that the characters you could play sucked. Katarina is awesome, not only is she a blast to play but her sarcastic Russian-ness has totally won me over.

derFeef

jim-jam bongs said:
My problem with the demo was that the characters you could play sucked. Katarina is awesome, not only is she a blast to play but her sarcastic Russian-ness has totally won me over.
No joke, she is quite awesome.
But the demo also suffered from the linearity, which is still in the game, but the sidequests drag you into different areas and dungeons, which are key to get sweet boss fights and loot.

Jerk

Banned
HK-47 said:

It is not that polished.

derFeef

Oh wow, everything ramps up in Stonebridge. Loot has been great (new weapon looks and effects), dialogue is better, especially funny with the Automatons and I adore the industrial/steampunk look. But... 3am, time to hit the sack.

Question first: how do you deal with your companions, I see that you can get reputation with them, but wasn't paying attention when the game said what it's for (in a battle when it popped up, as always).
What does filling that bar even do?
Do I only get rep in convos for the one I have active?

No new game + and the controls (using controller still, but that has auto aim, making me think what the fuck is aim assist doing in an ARPG dungeon crawl ish game) seem to be the only stains on this game.

Playing it at 1600x1200 maxed out with a 4xmsaa , the IQ is amazing, it looks really good, the color palette is awesome, the lighting and atmosphere are very very good.

The area before the swamp is very impressive and looks amazing, so dark and moody yet still colourful and you can still see. (oh how I love the godlike contrast my CRT monitor gives me)

The swamp itself is a very meh area though, pacing just kinda craps itself during and right after it and it has a much more drab generic dungeoncrawler unicolor colorscheme too.

The story gets fairly entertaining and feels like an adventure, the game feels like a video game not some gritty semi interactive movie full of QTE's and setpieces (which already makes it better than 90 percent of games out there).

If the gameplay was deeper, had a better flow, and the loot system was better (and new game+ and proper controls) this could have been an incredibly solid 10/10 game.

As others have said, the engine is rock solid (actually being able to alt tab, no memory leaks, good performance, saving could not possibly be any faster than it is , proper AA support) so that also puts it above 99 percent of games out there.

My opinion of this game has kind of been a rollercoaster, before the swamp I'd have probably given it an 8.5 , but the swamp was weak and the meh loot and sort of shallow gameplay are becoming apparent now, so I guess I'm back down to a 7.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
nobody's tried putting the amazon code they bought into Steam? need to know about that Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 thing.

Fredescu

HK-47 said:
Maybe the story doesn't match up with Obsidian's lofty past, but it's still more interesting and better written than most games out there. It's a bit of a shame that the first "dungeon" in the demo was just generic grey caves, because the one immediately after that is packed with interesting well written lore which progresses into a decent side story about the area.

Wow, another pleasant surprise, there are quite a range of environments. Lots of copy pasted enemies so far, but by the time you get to the second causeway you're routinely running into packs with champions which keeps it interesting. Dunno about replay value at this point but it's a fun diversion and has just enough carrot to keep you coming back.

Gassey

Banned
I'm enjoying it so far (playing Katarina). Side quests are a nice diversion, but the backtracking seems a little overdone.

The only thing that i'm not digging is that the random enemy encounters are all the same difficulty. It would be nice if they'd mixed things up a bit, better enemy variety.

butsomuch

Lead designer interview at Suicide Girls
KD: What do you have planned for the future of the Dungeon Siege franchise?

NC: Wow. Well, we don’t have any super-specific plans. Obviously, Square still owns the franchise. We would love to continue to work on it but it’s kind of up to what Square wants to do. It’s been great working with them, so I think that hopefully we’ll make a Dungeon Siege 4, but it all depends on what we can do and what Square wants to do.

But, from a gameplay perspective, we have those choices in the game where you see the consequences of them later on. I would love to see more of that layer throughout the game even more. We probably could do a more fleshed-out multiplayer system in a future game. When you’re developing a game, people will always bring up ideas and you know there’s no way you’re going to get to them in time, so the joke is always, “Oh, that’s Dungeon Siege 4,” or “That’s Alpha Protocol 2.” So every time you finish a game you always have this long list of things that you thought of that would be really awesome but you just had no way to get to during development. Part of it is also looking at people’s different reactions to the game. So if we find that people love the combat system [you say,] “Awesome! Let’s give them more.”

Labadal

On my way to Glitterdale now. Having a lot of fun, especially fighting bosses. No technical problems so far(11 hours played). The story so far isn't great, but I must admit I wasn't expecting a mindblowing story in this type of game. You do have the option to just choose the dialogue that says "lets go" or whatever to quickly move on with the game, but I like to learn as much as I can from dialogue. There's some funny dialogue, goblins and automatons in Stonebridge.

As I said in the first sentence, it's mostly about combat, and it is fun to me. Plus lots of loot wich is good. Killing regular enemies is not a big problem, but bosses are challenging and fun. There are some great boss encounters for sidequests, so don't miss them.

Does anyone with the 360 version know if your local co-op partner is eligible for all the same achievements that the main player is eligible for?

Also, I tested 'Live co-op on my two 360s and playing over live restricts the camera just like local co-op does. Basically, no matter how you're playing co-op, the camera is fixed to the overhead and you and your allies are tied to the same screen.

Jerk

Banned
Fredescu said:
Over 200 posts in an Obsidian thread and not a single mention of a crash or a bug. We're through the looking glass here.

Technically? This game is fucking solid.

Some of the internal mechanics, animations, textures, etc. could have used some work though.

Still, if you use the correct character, the game is a fun experience.

Anyone know the PS3 vs 360 details? I was going to get the game for 360 because mine has been collecting dust, but now a few friends want the game and they are all going to get it for PS3. I downloaded the PS3 demo, and while I really like the game itself, it seems to be very sort of choppy and not very smooth. It kind of gave me a headache while playing through it. I haven't had a chance to play through the demo on 360, and I was just wondering if maybe its just me and the two systems or comparable, or maybe the 360 version is smoother/better?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
so here's my thing that's been bugging me since the demo. How often is your appearance changing based off gear? because it definitely didn't in the demo

1) Can anyone comment on polish differences between demo and retail? For example, in the demo when you swing your sword at enemies it just goes right through their model, they don't even react. It's like the enemy isn't even there, you're just swinging at thin air, and there happens to be a 3D model drawn on top of it. Does it still do this in retail?

2) Performance / graphical fidelity differences between demo and retail?

3) Differences between PS3 / Xbox / PC?

4) How fucked up is the multiplayer? Everyone's been raging about it for weeks and now that it's out I don't hear a peep.

Fredescu

No change in 1 or 2 that I can tell. 3, I dont know, but I've been hearing about some framerate drops on consoles where I play it maxed at 60fps all the time on PC.

We knew how the multiplayer worked before release, so everyone knows what they're getting themselves into now. I imagine the people who considered it a deal breaker didn't buy it. If you're ok with the limitations, multiplayer is fun. If you want a permanently stored character who can drop in and out of random games, look elsewhere.

Fredescu said:
No change in 1 or 2 that I can tell. 3 I dont know, but I've been hearing about some framerate drops on consoles where I play it maxed at 60fps all the time on PC.

We knew how the multiplayer worked before release, so everyone knows what they're getting themselves into now. I imagine the people who considered it a deal breaker didn't buy it. If you're ok with the limitations, multiplayer is fun. If you want a permanently stored character who can drop in and out of random games, look elsewhere.

Is co-op multiplayer just going through the normal single player campaign with friends? Or is it like an endless dungeon with constantly harder / harder enemies and better loot?

verbatimo

One thing I hate compared to DS 1 & 2, how little there is weapon variety for each character. For melee character you can only wield swords and staffs and ranged character only use guns.

Where are melee weapons include axes, hammers, maces? Also, players should expect to use a wide variety of ranged weapons such as short and long bows as well crossbows.

Raide

verbatimo said:
One thing I hate compared to DS 1 & 2, how little there is weapon variety for each character. For melee character you can only wield swords and staffs and ranged character only use guns.

Where are melee weapons include axes, hammers, maces? Also, players should expect to use a wide variety of ranged weapons such as short and long bows as well crossbows.

Each class has their own specific weapons. Katrina uses 3 types of guns, Rifle, Shotgun and Pistol. Shogun and Pistol are used at the same time in her 2-gun Stance. Rifle in her 1-gun Long Range Stance. Lucas uses 2-handed sword and sword and shield. The fire chick uses Staves and 2 specific objects for her fire form. Same got the mage.

You can only equip certain types of weapons in a specific slot. When you pick up loot, there is the characters face on it. If you can see your face, its yours. If its blacked out, you cannot use it.

I am a good few hours in and there is a variety of different weapons with different stats but nothing looks vastly different. Unless there are some epic ones later.

Anyone got the "all sidequest" trophy? Are there any hard to find sidequests for this, or any way to check that you done all sidequests in the area before you go to the next?

Top Bottom