• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Siege III |OT| Obsidian plus complete lack of ambition equals...

derFeef

cleveridea said:
does Katarina have any melee moves, or purely guns?

also is she playable at the beginning or has to be unlocked like the demo?
Katarinas melee is her pistol/shotgun combo (with sweet Gunkata moves) and yes, you can play all classes from the start.

ah thanks

for some reason I didnt enjoy playing the melee guy too much, didnt seem any oomph or impact to the moves (eg controller vibration)

Feeroper

Hmmmm,

I have the PC version of this game waiting for me at a local game store. I wonder if I should just get the 360 version instead if it is so heavily geared for consoles, or should I just stick with PC and hope for a patch to improve it? I dont have a wired 360 controller for the PC so thats not an option for me....

Would you guys suggest going 360 over PC due to the control issue or what?

Some people here want to "farm" the ass 4 player coop trophies? I can offer a save just before the final boss where you can get all trophies pretty fast and easy.

Add me on PSN : Tryckser (EU - if that matters in this game)

styl3s

Can someone answer this ASAP im about to go pick it up

is there a real difference between PS3 and the 360 version? i mean actual different like dip in performance. i would prefer the ps3 version but if it's a crappier version ill snag the 360.

derFeef

Arguing with a friend about this. He links me to the Amazon user reviews (which are almost all 1-star) and thats it he gotta say. Jesus...

styl3s

derFeef said:
Arguing with a friend about this. He links me to the Amazon user reviews (which are almost all 1-star) and thats it he gotta say. Jesus...
Aren't all those reviews based on the shitty pc controls?

personally loved the demo

EDIT-

WOW gamestop.. you give me an open version, fucking done with GS.

For some reason every other store here didn't get it in today and gamestop puts the disc in the case and throws a sticker on it and sells it to me "new", sorry but new = sealed. i have been spending ridiculous amounts of money there since it was babbages, told them i am done with them and now taking my business to bestbuy/toys-r-us/target/kmart.

fuck gamestop.

how is the local co-op? My wife loves playing co-op games with me but doesn't have a tremendous amount of gaming skill. So, if the gameplay is even fairly complex she will struggle with it. How are the controls/co-op?

ced

styl3s said:
Aren't all those reviews based on the shitty pc controls?

personally loved the demo

EDIT-

WOW gamestop.. you give me an open version, fucking done with GS.

For some reason every other store here didn't get it in today and gamestop puts the disc in the case and throws a sticker on it and sells it to me "new", sorry but new = sealed. i have been spending ridiculous amounts of money there since it was babbages, told them i am done with them and now taking my business to bestbuy/toys-r-us/target/kmart.

fuck gamestop.

Enjoy getting the paper stickers off your new game.

I'm playing through with my brother so far and it's everything him and I have been looking for. We bought Untold Legend DK looking for a co-op action rpg and it was OK but this is def the game we've been waiting for. We're about 3-4 hours in and couldn't be happier with our buy.

Are there any similar co-op action rpgs available for the PS3 besides this and ULDK that I may have over looked?

We play locally and these D2-esque games really hit home with us since that was the game we both grew up playing.

Handycrap101 said:
I'm playing through with my brother so far and it's everything him and I have been looking for. We bought Untold Legend DK looking for a co-op action rpg and it was OK but this is def the game we've been waiting for. We're about 3-4 hours in and couldn't be happier with our buy.

Are there any similar co-op action rpgs available for the PS3 besides this and ULDK that I may have over looked?

We play locally and these D2-esque games really hit home with us since that was the game we both grew up playing.

Dungeon Hunter: Alliance on the PSN. It's awesome! and soon Dungeon and Dragons: DaggerDale, and the Lord of the Rings: The war of the North hopefully it comes with local co-op.

K.Sabot

JEYNE KASSYNDERRRRRR

JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER

Also, holy shit hivemind.

Derrick01

Banned
Played about an hour this morning with Katarina and I'm enjoying it overall. Even on hardcore or whatever it's called it's still kind of easy, but I almost got destroyed by some optional fish monster and its crew. It's a simple yet strangely fun game.

Also...JEYNE KASYNDER
please, game, stop saying this fucking name every other conversation

I didn't like the demo much but I after reading through this thread and finding out about the different classes, I went ahead and bought it. I definitely don't regret it. Im growing tired of RPGs with overly complicated fluff so this is really refreshing.

Grisby

I'm interested in this but have spent too much already, so I'll probably be waiting.

However, what is everyone's opinion on the story and choices? Any good? I ask cause its the big O.

Grisby said:
I'm interested in this but have spent too much already, so I'll probably be waiting.

However, what is everyone's opinion on the story and choices? Any good? I ask cause its the big O.

The story is mostly an excuse to get you from one place to another. It's not bad..but the characters aren't really developed other than Jeyne Kassynder. Your companions become non-existent once they join you other than some ambient dialogue, and aren't even mentioned in the ending. There are various decisions you can make throughout the game, the effects of them are mostly which deed you unlock and which slide you get to see during the ending.

If you're expecting a deep or interesting story or something in line with Obsidian's other games, look elsewhere.

Moaradin

Does anyone know how multiplayer dialogue works? I'm playing with a friend and he's host. Sometimes my character will say something in a conversation, most other times she is completely quiet and he does all the talking. Sounds odd to me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Moaradin said:
Does anyone know how multiplayer dialogue works? I'm playing with a friend and he's host. Sometimes my character will say something in a conversation, most other times she is completely quiet and he does all the talking. Sounds odd to me.

It's the hosts game, the host is the hero of the story. When you play single player you have an AI companion with you who will say some context sensitive stuff from time to time and when you are the guest player your character will say those things.

Jerk

Banned
I like this game, but the motion sickness is killing me.

Not sure if it is the 60 FPS or the FOV, but I can barely get an hour :(

very addicting game, as someone that used to love all the baldurs gate type games, and man would love to see a modern version of hunter the reckoning.

does soldier guy have cool moves to unlock? I looked at his talent tree and it didnt look too exciting, compared with the cool stuff the other characters have (eg katarina can summon and has some kind of gatling gun-ish special ability)

Jerk said:
I like this game, but the motion sickness is killing me.

Not sure if it is the 60 FPS or the FOV, but I can barely get an hour :(

does it help changing perspective? perhaps you are zoomed in and the zoomed out view helps

not that I care as its effectively a steal at $40 (10 credit at amazon and I buy a ton there)

but lol I bought for the nice color RPG manual and...no its the "here is URL for the digital manual" on a super thin fake-manual.

jim-jam bongs said:
Short answer yes, with an if, long answer no with a but.
Hehe.

Anyhow, it wasn't that good (for me).
I played it for about 10 hours over a 3 day period, went back to playing jeanne d'arc on my psp and have no desire to go back to DS III because I'm having so much more fun with that game (and I've put over 35 hours into jeanne' darc).

Nuff said really, decent ish game when bored, but probably low priority if you have anything better to do.

lol51

Some notes:

Steam achievements are broken.

Playing with a keyboard+mouse adds more difficulty to the game. In hardcore mode it is near impossible to play it with a keyboard. Its slow and clunky and hardcore mode requires quick combat adjustments and reflex.

A PC patch can make this really enjoyable, but right now it is a C/C-. A real disappointment in the series to this DS fans. Finally: JEYNE KASYNDER? JEYNE KASYNDER. JEYNE KASYNDER!

SneakyStephan said:
Hehe.

Anyhow, it wasn't that good (for me).
I played it for about 10 hours over a 3 day period, went back to playing jeanne d'arc on my psp and have no desire to go back to DS III because I'm having so much more fun with that game (and I've put over 35 hours into jeanne' darc).

Nuff said really, decent ish game when bored, but probably low priority if you have anything better to do.

So this would be the "no with a but" answer :p

Yeah, it's pretty much like that though. I tried to do another run with a different character, but even with all the story decisions they give you, and the fun hacking and slashing, there's not much to keep you coming back. I've moved on to Alice now, but I might be interested in some DLC if the price was right.

Basileus777 said:
Ugh, my wired 360 controller died on me while playing this. I'm not sure if I even want to try it with a M&KB.
You don't, I don't know how they managed to do it with a game in this genre but the controls suck beyond belief.

Tried out the demo and damn if it wasnt
under
whelming

The combat lacks any real emphasis, the animation is brutal and JAYNE KESSINDER was said more times in 5 minutes than it should have been in the entire game. This is why people get all sorts of bitchin' nicknames. Every time i play a game like sacred 2 or dungeon siege 3 or whatever i'm reminded of the fact that diablo 2 is still better than them and diablo 3 will probably be the be all and end all of dungeon creepy crawlers. I had high hopes to loot whore it out, and i'll admit seeing those blues drop and putting them on for massive stat gains tickled the pleasure centres, but the game on ps3 is muddy and uninteresting. Maybe i'll pick it up for 20 bucks in a moment of weakness, but definately not for full price.

Playing Resonance of Fate right now instead, holy fuck this game is good.

Can anyone help me with a sidequest?

I'm trying to deliver some things to someone named Niku in a cave but I can't find and when I try to use a waypoint nothing appears.

LastWindow said:

I'm trying to deliver some things to someone named Niku in a cave but I can't find and when I try to use a waypoint nothing appears.

Is that the guy in the East Forest? It's the forest behind the chapterhouse, it won't be unlocked until you go there as part of the main storyline.

Fredescu

LastWindow said:

He's in
the East Forest, which you access from the bottom floor of the first chapterhouse
. Is that where you are? I think you have to progress the main quest enough before you get access to it.

Autofokus

DigitalDevil said:
how is the local co-op? My wife loves playing co-op games with me but doesn't have a tremendous amount of gaming skill. So, if the gameplay is even fairly complex she will struggle with it. How are the controls/co-op?
By your description, my wife is probably around the same skill level. She's struggling a little bit with the whole blocking/dodging mechanics and later in the game, after unlocking various new skills, she got a bit confused with the button-combos activating them.

My advice: Start the game on easy (casual), let her play a long range character (like Katarina) and do all the heavy lifting, especially on bosses.

ced

Ugh these games should stick with a locked camera perspective, it's awful to deal with in couch coop.

Patryn

So is the guy who came up with the name Jeyne Kasynder just really proud of it or something? Why is it always JEYNE KASYNDER and not just JEYNE or KASYNDER?

So awkward.

Digitalforce

Neo Member
Playing on PC maxed out.

A very STRANGE mix of GREAT and pure SUCK. Some areas look like crap, others look great (Green lighted mansion). The voice acting on the main characters is horrid and really takes me out of the game. Also, the loot is vague at best.

I still don't understand why I was thinking this was going to be like Diablo II.. but I guess I should give that dream up. Only Titan Quest has even come close.

So far, I give this game a solid.. 7/10 -- Definitely not worth $50-$60.

Top Bottom