• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Siege III |OT| Obsidian plus complete lack of ambition equals...

Labadal

Started a hardcore run with Katarina. Really like how she plays. Heavy hitting long range that focuses on single targets. Her close combat focuses on many targets. her warding ritual is great versus melee characters as it pushes them back from you. Also have a pet for her and Anjali.

Labadal said:
Also have a pet for her and Anjali.

Have you found the pet useful? Anjali's pet was mostly a waste on hardcore, it does no real damage and burning damage over time is so awful that it's not even worth considering. There weren't many times where I found her summon to be a better use of my focus than another Fall from the Heavens.

Labadal

They don't do a lot of damage, but they take some of the heat off of me. One pet might not be very useful, but two pets is fairly helpful when I'm in trouble. When in trouble: Summon pets, fall back, lick your wounds and then go all out again. They are meant more for distraction on hardcore.

bigswords

Camera angles for MP on the 360 version still suck donkey balls. Sigh when your friends roll off to the edge of the screen one of the further characters might teleport and in boss battles that person might teleport into a cluster of enemies.

And Bosses are cheap as hell on hardcore.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Hated the demo with a passion on PC due to horrible controls, but since I couldn't cancel my preorder, I went ahead and played it. Thankfully I found out I could use a 360 emulator with my Logitech controller. I've having quite a bit of fun with the game now, so yeah, definitely recommend using a controller.

Derrick01

Banned
Basileus777 said:
Have you found the pet useful? Anjali's pet was mostly a waste on hardcore, it does no real damage and burning damage over time is so awful that it's not even worth considering. There weren't many times where I found her summon to be a better use of my focus than another Fall from the Heavens.

Since I'm playing as Katarina on hardcore and Anjali usually does range attacks too, I'm finding her pet to be extremely useful as a tank if nothing else. I can't tell how much it's doing in damage, but it at least takes most of the enemies off of me. Helps a lot since I'm pretty squishy.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just finished full coop run. 11 hours total.

The Good:
+ Obsidians engine is very solid, looks good and runs flawlessly.
+ Game seems very polished, we encountered almost no jank or bugs of any kind, nice to see that Obsidian can in fact ship a finished product.
+ Combat is fun, has a nice feel to it.
+ Story is pretty good for this type of game and there are quite a few choices to make that can affect it.
+ When in coop if you go into your menu the AI takes over your character and will auto follow and fight for the other playwe until you're done. No sitting around waiting for someone to check out their new stuff.

The Bad:
- Not enough useful abilities, by the end I was only using 3 of the 9 abilities I had, the others didn't really serve any purpose. This was also true of my coop partner.
- In some of the more cramped areas the camera could be annoying. Also having both characters locked to the same camera made some fights more annoying then they needed to be with ranged enemies outside of your camera range.
- Scads and scads of useless loot. We were playing the same 2 characters the whole time yet we got countless epic items from bosses for characters that weren't even in our game. Since there is no persistence to the multiplayer like say Diablo, these items didn't even have value as trade or alt fodder.

All in all I enjoyed it. Felt basically like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 3, which given that it's the same team that made BGDA2 is expected. As long as you know what you're getting into in terms of the multiplayer, this is a solid purchase. Seems like it has decent replay value as well with the 4 characters being quite different and the various branching choices you can make in the story.

K.Sabot

Okay so I've gotten to spend more time with this game and I was wondering
JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!!!!! KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!! JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER JEYNE KASSYNDER
. Also, what does Reckoning do?

Game is fun and you get loots constantly so it's good but they really need to patch that auto-camera. Even when you turn it off in the option menu, the camera still zoom in and switch around.

I understand they try to make the pathing so the game doesn't seem linear but I wish company would just do what Torchligh did. Hiding the corridor by making it twist and turn and fill them with ramp doesn't make it any less linear. And I don't think in this type of game linearity is a bad thing, give me good combat, decent loot and it's just hack and slash forward anyway.

Otherwise I have fun with it for the most part. Still not sure if I like defensive stance instead of popping potion for health.

If you like Dark alliance game this is like a spiritual successor to those type of games more than Diablo 2 or Torchlight.

ced

Sinatar said:
Just finished full coop run. 11 hours total.

- In some of the more cramped areas the camera could be annoying. Also having both characters locked to the same camera made some fights more annoying then they needed to be with ranged enemies outside of your camera range..

Online coop right? If local I think your being too nice about the camera. My wife and I are trying to play it couch coop, and the camera is absolutely ruining the game for us. Even with auto orient off it still will spaz out. What's worse is it's not far enough away, or is too much overhead, we're constantly getting pelted by things we can't see. Not to mention having to control the camera angle all the damn time in battles / exploration sucks.

It's a shame, maybe they can tweak the camera a bit in a patch, but I don't think it will make it any better. These types of games really need a fixed camera, I guess in SP this camera works alright, but it's been horrible with couch coop.

derFeef

This morning my controller batterys had no power left so I was forced to play with M+KB - I have no idea whats everyone problem is, after 10 minutes it is perfectly fine once you know the keys.

Sinatar

ced said:
Online coop right? If local I think your being too nice about the camera. My wife and I are trying to play it couch coop, and the camera is absolutely ruining the game for us. Even with auto orient off it still will spaz out. What's worse is it's not far enough away, or is too much overhead, we're constantly getting pelted by things we can't see. Not to mention having to control the camera angle all the damn time in battles / exploration sucks.

It's a shame, maybe they can tweak the camera a bit in a patch, but I don't think it will make it any better. These types of games really need a fixed camera, I guess in SP this camera works alright, but it's been horrible with couch coop.

Yea online, so we can each independently move our cameras.

Labadal

I focused on high agility, will and stamina. for his long range stance. Armor stamina and attack for short range. This means that he needs different types of equipment for each stance. Skills and talents are completely optional. At the end game, I was doing 1k critical hits with long range.

butsomuch

EDGE: 7
It’s a game built from pluck and resourcefulness, in other words: thoughtful when it can afford to be and stoically reliable – for the most part – when it can’t. With handsome landscapes and a clutter of personable NPCs, Dungeon Siege III makes up for the absence of BioWare’s gleaming polish or Bethesda’s knotty intricacy with a little more soul, and perhaps a broader, more human, imagination.

Still going to wait for a sale on this one but it looks like I'll enjoy it. I'm buying mainly for the co-op and will always be playing with the same person so I don't have any issues with the slave/master data mechanic.

Ricker

Are the achievements broken for the 360 or something...played all of the part that was the demo and then some,almost level 5,did most of the sidequest besides that fish and nothing?

FGMPR

Banned
butsomuch said:

"It’s a game built from pluck and resourcefulness, in other words: thoughtful when it can afford to be and stoically reliable – for the most part – when it can’t. With handsome landscapes and a clutter of personable NPCs, Dungeon Siege III makes up for the absence of BioWare’s gleaming polish or Bethesda’s knotty intricacy with a little more soul, and perhaps a broader, more human, imagination."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

What on earth does that mean?

FGMPR said:
"It’s a game built from pluck and resourcefulness, in other words: thoughtful when it can afford to be and stoically reliable – for the most part – when it can’t. With handsome landscapes and a clutter of personable NPCs, Dungeon Siege III makes up for the absence of BioWare’s gleaming polish or Bethesda’s knotty intricacy with a little more soul, and perhaps a broader, more human, imagination."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

What on earth does that mean?
I'm guessing what theyre saying is that the writing is compelling and actually a joy to go through as opposed to games developed by the other developers listed. I haven't played the game so I dont know if that's the case but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

So I just tried to enter in my DLC promo code from Amazon for the PS3 version and it's saying the code isn't valid. Do I contact Amazon about this? Or Square-Enix? Anyone get a code? Did it work for you?

derFeef

I have no idea why but I am 18 hours in and still not finished (played 3 hours with another character). I guess I am close, but I thought that before. Still enjoy this game and look forward to the outcome.

Tryckser said:
Some people here want to "farm" the ass 4 player coop trophies? I can offer a save just before the final boss where you can get all trophies pretty fast and easy.

Add me on PSN : Tryckser (EU - if that matters in this game)
Selfquote -> no one? ^^

theDeeDubs

After initially being disappointed by the demo, I'm glad I picked up the full game. I'm just a little ways past the first major boss on Hardcore as Reinhart and I'm really enjoying it. Edit* Hit me up as DeeDubs on XBL if you want to try for some co-op chievos.

Experiencing this engine gives me high hopes for their hints at wanting to do something in the Planescape universe. I think it'd be a great match.

derFeef

Finished it and I enjoyed the game throughout. I played with Katarina and had mostly Anjali or Reinhart by my side.

+ Looks great on the PC
+ Diverse environments and dungeons
+ Combat feels good (played with pad)
+ Stronger focus on story is neat
+ Great bosses
+ Mostly good voice acting (main characters)

- Strict paths, no real exploration except some secrets
- Loot can be too much and confusing, good items stand out too much
- Characters look bad in conversations

The linearity may be a bummer for some, but it was no problem for me personally. I tend to get lost in such games and the story pulled me through, which I liked. The outcome, or the way it is presented, may also be disappointing for some. Looking forward to more Dungeon Siege by Obisidian now, or some DLC even.

Steam tells me 20 hours played, I played 3 hours or so with Anjali but the rest is pure Katarina. I switched to hardcore later on, which was maybe the reason it took me so long. I also did every sidequest, or at least I think so.

Mr.Fresh

So guys me and my bro are looking for a good coop game to get into do you recommend this? is it best Online or Offline? Any thing i should know?

Edit - ok i read some stuff about it but i cant seem to find my answer to this question.
In offline coop does everyone choose a character or are they still henchmen?

jkanownik

larvi said:
How does it compare to Sacred 2 for those who have played both? I liked S2 but on the fence with this right now, it's in my Gamefly queue to try though.

DS3 is serviceable. My wife and I play a lot of couch co-op together and this will be play through once and enjoy it. It compares favorably to the Baldur's Gate games from PS2. It's not up with the better games that we'll play through multiple times like Sacred 2 or Xmen Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Couch co-op can be a dramatically different experience with these games than online co-op, so take that into consideration.

Ace_235 said:
Edit - ok i read some stuff about it but i cant seem to find my answer to this question.

If you're only playing offline co-op together the online limitations are almost meaningless. You share loot, but most of the characters have unique loot and money hasn't really been an issue for us. I've been playing player 2 and I have total control over my equipment and skill allocation.

Sinatar

Ace_235 said:
So guys me and my bro are looking for a good coop game to get into do you recommend this? is it best Online or Offline? Any thing i should know?

Each player chooses a character and has full control over that characters stats, leveling, equipment, etc.

Ken

About 6 hours in with a couch coop play through and the game is tons of fun. There are some things I dislike (way too much running back and forth) but overall it's definitely an enjoyable experience.

Ricker

The Heroes Crypt dungeon is all kind of awesome,one of the best dungeon atmosphere wise I have seen in quite a while...

CSampson

Didn't like it a lot at first but at approx. level 13 things started to click and I got in a nice groove. Gonna try to finish it today.

I just beat it around 30 minutes ago. It was okay, I get the feeling that co-op would have been the way to go.

Even as short as the game was, the combat started getting repetitive towards the end. I wish you could chosen freely between the characters rather than being stuck with one the whole game.

The environments were nice though. Probably my favorite part of the game.

matmanx1

I have enjoyed my time so far with DS:3 (up to 7.5 hours now) and it definitely feels like a spiritual successor to BG:DA2 in many ways. I'm playing Lucas and tend to favor 2h attacks although I do switch it up to 1h and shield for a couple of abilities.

I'm impressed with the engine and how the game runs for the very most part and would love to see Obsidian tackle this same sort of project but in a bigger and more ambitious way. I've heard 10-15 hours depending on difficulty and backtracking and that's a little short for my money for this type of game but for now I am having fun with it.

Labadal

Obsidian blog opened.

First entry shows a screenshot for Dungeon Siege III keybinding.

With Dungeon Siege III‘s release across the world, we’ve been very busy reading what everyone’s saying and we’re listening! Two of the most talked about features folks have wanted for the PC version are coming within the next week in a free Steam update:

Keybinding: Don’t like some or all of the default key controls in DS3? Fear not! With the new keybinding tab in the Options menu, you’ll be able to remap the controls to however you prefer them. Each control option has two bindable keys, so if you like having one function controlled by two different keys, that is available as well. (As an example, some people might like having both W and Up Arrow as options to move forward.)

Move Left and Right: In addition, we’ve added two new controls that will allow you to move left or right (think strafing.) For example, if you’d rather have A and D on your keyboard move your character left and right respectively instead of rotate the camera, you’ll now be able to set that as well.

Even though Dungeon Siege III has shipped, we’re not done! There’s still a lot planned on the horizon – stay tuned!

DS3 isn't great, but it's kind of sad how inactive this thread is. Even on GAF with its Obsidian fan-base, barely anyone is playing it.

derFeef

Basileus777 said:
DS3 isn't great, but it's kind of sad how inactive this thread is. Even on GAF with its Obsidian fan-base, barely anyone is playing it.
Replayability and length of the game is the major problem I guess. I enjoyed it, but I have no reason to come back at the moment - none of my friends is interested in it as well.

Basileus777 said:

I love Obsidian as much as anyone on the board but it's hard to argue against the suggestion that they at least partly phoned this one in. I enjoyed my time with it but I don't think I'll remember it much in a month.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jim-jam bongs said:
I love Obsidian as much as anyone on the board but it's hard to argue against the suggestion that they at least partly phoned this one in. I enjoyed my time with it but I don't think I'll remember it much in a month.

i really want them back on stories like KotoRII and Mask. With deep characters and thoughtful analysis of game conventions.

I hope this new polish new thing for them and isnt a one off or because the game is relatively simple compared to their usual stuff.

HK-47 said:
i really want them back on stories like KotoRII and Mask. With deep characters and thoughtful analysis of game conventions.

I hope this new polish new thing for them and isnt a one off or because the game is relatively simple compared to their usual stuff.

Me too, I know that they have some secret new IP they're working on and using the Onyx Engine for. I'm pretty sure that a big part of the reason they partnered with Square was to fund the completion of their own tech, thus saving them money on licensing and giving them a lot more freedom to work on whatever they want.

One thing I noticed about the dialogue system is that it goes against the mash-to-skip principle of RPG dialogue. If you mash the button you'll actually end up going through all of the options because the game doesn't default to selecting the "get to the point" option like most RPGs, it actually prioritises them the complete opposite way. That felt very Obsidian to me.

So I think we'll see some very cool stuff from them in the next couple of years now that they have a highly scalable cross-platform engine built to their specifications instead of having to use middleware. Not that middleware is inherently bad or anything but engines like Unreal try to be everything to everyone which can make debugging relatively simple problems a lot harder than if it's a tightly focused engine designed for particular purposes.

Ricker

Maybe they will add some DLC or something to make us remember it...I`m liking it a lot,the game gets addictive,the environments are pretty nice,some small dungeons ooze with atmosphere and the dialog and voice acting is pretty good as well so far,made it to Stonebridge...I`m playing single player with Katarina and I can switch the 2 partners I have joined with at any time...the AI on them is pretty good,during a Boss fight I died for the first time and they came right over and resurrected me,took me by surprise hehe,the influence points are nice as well...I`ll have a chance to try couch co-op this weekend and that should be fun also.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
jim-jam bongs said:
Just out of curiosity, how much did you follow the game's development before release? I had never played a Dungeon Siege game before (but I know 3 is radically different) and rented this on a whim. Obsidian + loot has to be good, right? And I'm having a blast. Didn't expect something this polished from them, especially with the environment streaming.

About four hours in, relatively early spoilers:
Will my decision to smash the Heart of Narag (?) bite me in the ass in the future? My Reinhart is a generally nice guy.

K.Sabot

So I actually finished this the other day, and I have to say it wasn't bad. Save for that person (who I shall not name ever again, lest I go stark raving mad) who kept being brought up, I was quite enamored with the story.

It was a bit on the bare side, but I am not very used to having linear stories in dungeon crawlers. It may not hold me over
like torchlight 2 will
, but It definitely whet my appetite for Diablo 3.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
K.Sabot said:
So I actually finished this the other day, and I have to say it wasn't bad. Save for that person (who I shall not name ever again, lest I go stark raving mad) who kept being brought up, I was quite enamored with the story.
JEYNE KA- *shot*

Top Bottom