• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Siege III |OT| Obsidian plus complete lack of ambition equals...

matmanx1

Anyone think the IQ on the PS3 version is a little "off" somehow? I downloaded the demo on the 360 and was fairly pleased with it but then ended up getting the game for the PS3. It looks to me like the PS3 version is blurrier or just has a much softer image than the 360 version had and it's frankly not very pleasant to my eyes.

I'm quite susceptible to eye strain and after less than an hour of playing the PS3 version I'm already feeling it a little bit. It could just be me though as I'm sensitive to some of these issues.

matmanx1

Alright I switched to the zoomed in camera option and it seems to have alleviated the eye strain and brings out the detail of the environments and enemies better as well. I think I can live with this.

Enjoying the actual game so far. It's pretty much exactly what I wanted out of a console Dungeon Siege.

Salsa

Holy shit

i-B2C3Rr8-L.jpg

.. does it really use this method of co-op? and they are using it as a selling point?

just.. wow

Need some more help on another sidequest.

I did the Heroes' Crypt sidequest and before I started it I talked to a guy who wanted me to find three items for him. I found one, and I see where the other one is but the door is locked and I have no idea how to open it. Also, it looks to be only one room so where is the third item located?

LastWindow said:
Need some more help on another sidequest.

I did the Heroes' Crypt sidequest and before I started it I talked to a guy who wanted me to find three items for him. I found one, and I see where the other one is but the door is locked and I have no idea how to open it. Also, it looks to be only one room so where is the third item located?

IIRC there's a switch or a key in a room opposite the locked door.

Derrick01

Banned
derFeef said:
Steam just downloaded a 12mb patch, but now I can not launch the game anymore.

Yup they accidentally deleted something to make it not work, said they're working on it and it should be fixed soon via another update.

Good ol Obsidian.

SalsaShark said:
Holy shit

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-B2C3Rr8/0/L/i-B2C3Rr8-L.jpg[IMG]

.. does it really use this method of co-op? and they are using it as a selling point?

just.. wow[/QUOTE]

Yep, it's terrible. LotR War of the North is our only hope.

derFeef

Derrick01 said:
Yup they accidentally deleted something to make it not work, said they're working on it and it should be fixed soon via another update.

Good ol Obsidian.
They fixed it already. FAST :)

Haunted

Ok guys, give it to me straight.

Is this the Diablo killer we've been waiting for?

Or are Torchlight and Titan Quest still the best substitutes?

derFeef

Haunted said:

It's by no means a Diablo clone, not even close. Torchlight it is, if you want a game like Diablo.

V_Arnold

Haunted said:

It is not a Diablo-"clone". This game is in a different genre. It might resemble that, but lacks any kind of endgame and longevity, but it is more packed and focused than D2 was in its time, in exchange.

If you want a fun 10-20 hour journey, you cant go wrong with DS3. If you want months of fun, theorycraft and grind, go with D2. Or if you settle down, Torch/TQ.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
enjoying what i have played so far using Anjali up to the Manor, very fun.

do you have to make a new game each time to use other characters ?

for me its a spiritual successor to the cool baldurs gate and champions of norrath type games rather than diablo

great game IMO

Derrick01 said:

Good ol Obsidian.

It wouldn't be a real obsidian game if it worked perfect. :p

Pimpbaa

cleveridea said:
for me its a spiritual successor to the cool baldurs gate and champions of norrath type games rather than diablo

great game IMO
How does it compare to those games because I was more of a fan of them than I was of the Dungeon Siege series.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's designed to play coop with the same person, if you're looking for a game to play with randoms then don't get this.

derFeef

subversus said:
Comparing to other Obsidian titles is it buggy?
It's the most polished and bug-free Obsidian game to date. I have not encountered any troubles yet (except Steam achievements not working and that patch hickup before)

subversus said:

No, it's not really buggy at all. In my playthrough the only thing I encountered was a minor scripting bug that forced me to reload a save from a few minutes earlier.

larvi

How does it compare to Sacred 2 for those who have played both? I liked S2 but on the fence with this right now, it's in my Gamefly queue to try though.

stuminus3

Haunted said:
It's not a "Diablo" game. It's less Dungeon Siege, more Dark Alliance. In that regard, it's pretty damn great. But Diablo, Torchlight, Titan Quest, Sacred 2 etc it is not.

subversus said:
From what I've played so far it's remarkably polished. Apparently Obsidian can do tech after all, this shows what they can do when they're not tied to janky-ass BioWare and Bethesda engines. It is a much simpler game than Neverwinter or Fallout though.

Labadal

subversus said:

I perosnally had no bugs. I have heard of some bugs from other players, but overall it is the most polished Obsidian game I have played.

larvi said:
How does it compare to Sacred 2 for those who have played both? I liked S2 but on the fence with this right now, it's in my Gamefly queue to try though.

Not even close in all honesty. It's a fun but completely linear 10 hour hack and slash with a half decent story.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
jim-jam bongs said:
Not even close in all honesty. It's a fun but completely linear 10 hour hack and slash with a half decent story.

sacred reminds me of mmos where after u get to about level 60 it takes decades to level up

Pimpbaa said:
How does it compare to those games because I was more of a fan of them than I was of the Dungeon Siege series.

way more similar to the baldurs gate than prior games, its nothing like the earlier dungeon siege. in an interview they said the prior games "played themselves" so they designed something far more active.

I loved the dark alliance type games, got bored of DS 1 and 2 but love this one.

Haunted

stuminus3 said:
It's not a "Diablo" game. It's less Dungeon Siege, more Dark Alliance. In that regard, it's pretty damn great. But Diablo, Torchlight, Titan Quest, Sacred 2 etc it is not.
cleveridea said:
way more similar to the baldurs gate than prior games, its nothing like the earlier dungeon siege.
oh. I wasn't aware of that, I thought (hoped) it would be like the old Dungeon Siege games (but better).

Oh well. Thanks for the info guys.

Sinatar said:
It's designed to play coop with the same person, if you're looking for a game to play with randoms then don't get this.

can you elaborate a bit? if i wanted to play online coop with the same friend through the whole game it won't matter that one of us won't level and get stuff?

i ask because a friend and i are looking for an arpg (dark alliance style) to play through online together.

actually, if anyone in this thread has a suggestion for a game like that (360 or ps3, retail or download) i'd appreciate it.

Here's how the co-op works since everyone seems to be confused:

- The singleplayer game has an AI partner basically all the time a la Gears
- A friend or 3 can enter your game and control an AI partner
- When you save the game the save stays on the host's PC
- The host can continue to play that save game in singleplayer with AI
- Inventory is shared and stored with the host save
- AI/co-op partners level up with the host's character

Coxswain

I've been pretty pleasantly Jeyne Kassynder surprised by this game. Honestly I took a chance on it after not really liking the demo much (and hating the first two games in the series, not that I expected them to be much alike), pretty Jeyne Kassynder much entirely because it had Jeyne Kassynder Obsidian's name on the cover. I can see how it would be massively disappointing if Diablo is your gold standard when it comes to dungeon crawlers, but Jeyne Kassynder personally as someone who loves dungeon crawling and hates loot games, this is pretty much exactly what I want out of the genre. The core combat is really a lot of fun, and loot Jeyne Kassynder takes such a backseat to everything else that its role is just to compliment the way you want to play, rather than being the most defining part of Jeyne Kassynder your character.

Honestly though, it took a while before the combat really clicked with me and I started getting the most out of it. I played through at least Jeyne Kassynder half the game treating my Abilities as though I were playing a game with finite, non-regenerative MP - ie: Using Jeyne Kassynder them only 'when I needed them', which basically amounted to 'boss fights only, apart from healing every now and again'. Once I figured out the reasoning behind Focus and Power (shallow pools that are only good for 1-4 skill uses, but recharge completely in just a few combos or ability uses), the game Jeyne Kassynder got a lot more fun. Basically, you're doing it wrong if your defensive abilities (The self-heal, and the other two you unlock) aren't Jeyne Kassynder activated pretty much 100% of the time, with Power to spare for Empowered attacks and Abilities - and if you don't have at least one Empowered skill by the time Jeyne Kassynder you're finished with the first town, that's another indication you're doing it wrong. Basically, you're meant to be using Abilities and Empowered Abilities just as much as you use your basic combos, and once you get the hang of that, Jeyne Kassynder everything else falls into place - and by the end of the game, your Talents and Abilities and even your equipment bonuses all sort of coalesce into making you feel like a walking god Jeyne Kassynder.

I actually really quite like the way they decided to handle co-op. Since everyone in a game is tied to the host's save file, you can join any open game on the list and you're guaranteed that you'll Jeyne Kassynder neither be A) Too low-leveled and weak to be of any use to anyone, or B) Such a ridiculously high level that there's no chance of failure and the game is ruined for all the other players. They definitely should have made something unique to 'you' that's persistent across all games you join, though. Maybe your talent/ability upgrade layout, or Jeyne Kassynder your skill masteries, or even just your cosmetic appearance (of course, decoupling appearance from your equipped items). It doesn't bother Jeyne Kassynder me much personally, but it would be better if Jeyne Kassynder they threw the people who like persistence a bone somewhere, if only to keep interest in the game alive from dying out in a week or two.

It's definitely got some downsides, though. The Jeyne Kassynder camera in multiplayer is probably the biggest one. I'm not vehemently opposed to tethering everyone together like that, but the playable space should have been at least 50% bigger. It's absurd how often one newbie playing Katarina Jeyne Kassynder gets the whole party killed because they stand way back at rifle range while the melee characters run up and find Jeyne Kassynder themselves about six pixels out of melee range of a bunch of those asshole skeleton wizards or those gargoyles that shoot needles or whatever. Realistically, though, the problem with the camera is Jeyne Kassynder less that it can't be used to play the game properly; it's that one lousy Jeyne Kassynder player who doesn't know what they're doing can grind the entire game to a halt.
There's also way too much dead-air travel time for an MP game, particularly if you're doing sidequests and/or you're in Stonebridge. Once you're in Jeyne Kassynder the dungeons, things are generally fine, but it's nobody's idea of fun to have to spend three minutes running from one end of Jeyne Kassynder Stonebridge to the other on a little fetch errand, or even just to check all the shops. There should have been more entrances to the Causeway: at the beginning of every dungeon, near every Jeyne Kassynder shop, etc. It should take 30 seconds to get from the Great Foundry to the Gunderic Mansion, not upward of five minutes.

Minor gripes aside, though, Jeyne Kassynder I'm pretty satisfied with the game, having bought it new. It's not my favourite game ever, but it's Jeyne Kassynder definitely upper-tier as far as dungeon crawlers go in terms of providing fun, engaging combat, and technically speaking I can't really find fault with Jeyne Kassynder it, in terms of performance or bugs/polish issues. I just hope the game manages to keep people interested in playing it for a Jeyne Kassynder reasonable amount of time, or at least until I start to get sick of Jeyne Kassynder it too.

Jeyne Kassynder.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
arglebargle said:
can you elaborate a bit? if i wanted to play online coop with the same friend through the whole game it won't matter that one of us won't level and get stuff?

i ask because a friend and i are looking for an arpg (dark alliance style) to play through online together.

actually, if anyone in this thread has a suggestion for a game like that (360 or ps3, retail or download) i'd appreciate it.

You get equipment and level and everything, it's just stored in the hosts save game and doesn't transfer to your single player game.

So for instance I'm playing Lucas in my friends game and I have complete control over Lucas's leveling and equipment but if I decide to play single player I don't get to use his Lucas I'd have to start a new one. When I join his game though, that Lucas is mine and I have total control over every aspect of him and that saves over the course of the game.

Akkad

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
What is this Jeyne meme floating around. It's getting irritating.

Name of the villian in the game
, it gets repeated a million times and any character that mentions her or talks to her uses her full name, not "Jeyne" not "you", but her full name.

stuminus3 said:

From what I've played so far it's remarkably polished. Apparently Obsidian can do tech after all, this shows what they can do when they're not tied to janky-ass BioWare and Bethesda engines. It is a much simpler game than Neverwinter or Fallout though.

Eh ,take a look at divinity 2 (dks goty edition), bethesda's engine can pump out nice graphics while still being rock solid and performing well and not crashing when you alt tab, even the animations are good in div 2.

Don't just blame gamebryo for all the other shitty ass buggy unstable games with terrible animations on it, the blame as at least as much with the devs using it.

Pimpbaa

SneakyStephan said:
Eh ,take a look at divinity 2 (dks goty edition), bethesda's engine can pump out nice graphics while still being rock solid and performing well and not crashing when you alt tab, even the animations are good in div 2.

Rock solid and performing well? The game constantly stutters for a lot of people.

stuminus3

SneakyStephan said:

Don't just blame gamebryo for all the other shitty ass buggy unstable games with terrible animations on it, the blame as at least as much with the devs using it.
Yeah I know, I was meaning specifically the work Bethesda did with Oblivion and Fallout 3 on Gamebryo (which is what New Vegas was built on), not the engine in general.

A couple quick questions:

1. Is there any benefit to not taking rewards for quests? I keep doing it to feel like a nice person, but I hope I'm not just screwing myself over for no reason...

2. Any Reinhardt skill leveling tips? I'm wondering what skills are useful and how I should build them up...

Ken

If I'm just going to be doing couch coop with the same person and not touch single player (and if I did it would be on a different save), both of us would always keep our progress, correct?

robotzombie said:
A couple quick questions:

1. Is there any benefit to not taking rewards for quests? I keep doing it to feel like a nice person, but I hope I'm not just screwing myself over for no reason...

Early game spoilers (first town)
I got a deed for refusing all the rewards in the first town

Also it looks like they fixed the achievements on the PC version.

Giard

How does this compare to Sacred 2? Loved that game (besides the story) and was wondering if I would like this one.

Effect

Giard said:
How does this compare to Sacred 2? Loved that game (besides the story) and was wondering if I would like this one.

DS3 is more polished at least comparing the PS3 versions. Character animations, control input, etc. In general DS3 just a better game but I'm basing this off the DS3 demo compared to the full Sacred 2 game. I got it used but even at that low cost it's still a disappointment of a game. I tried playing it after the DS3 demo just for the hell of it and it doesn't not compare well at all. I do wonder if the PC version is better as the first Sacred was a lot of fun I felt.

Giard

Effect said:
DS3 is more polished at least comparing the PS3 versions. Character animations, control input, etc. In general DS3 just a better game but I'm basing this off the DS3 demo compared to the full Sacred 2 game. I got it used but even at that low cost it's still a disappointment of a game. I tried playing it after the DS3 demo just for the hell of it and it doesn't not compare well at all. I do wonder if the PC version is better as the first Sacred was a lot of fun I felt.

Thanks, will try the demo as well.

Top Bottom