• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 |OT| You don't need to pay to win

Good news from our Wolfman overlord!
https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=104985

CCP Wolfman said:
Hi guys,

As promised the other day here is an overview on the changes to vehicle gameplay we’re currently working on for 1.5 and beyond. What we didn’t want to do was take every element, hurriedly try to rebalance them all in 4 weeks, and then stuff them back in. So, this will be a staged process, one that we will continue to work on over the releases following 1.5. This will allow us to see how things play out in the game, get community feedback and incorporate that information in to the ongoing work. Ok, here goes…

THE GOAL

Make vehicles fun.

THE PLAN

The goal is a simple one. The plan, however, is somewhat more intricate and will be implemented in a number of stages over the coming days and weeks:

Remove “noise” so that we can focus on the core archetypes.
Right now there are simply too many things doing too much all at once. Module offerings will be streamlined to just the most necessary archetypes. Once we’ve established a solid foundation we’ll start to introduce types and build back out. Similarly, vehicle roles will be reduced and then re-implemented properly once the base interactions are working well. Skill bonuses will be adjusted.

Rebuild with a clear combat philosophy in mind.
There are a number of issues with vehicle combat at the moment, but most of these are symptomatic of a bigger issue: vehicles have no clear role on the battlefield. Vehicles need to be powerful, but not overpowered. They need to be vulnerable, but not weak. They’ve been all of these things at various points in DUST’s development, but they’ve never quite found their niche. We hope to correct that by:
  • Make base vehicles susceptible. An unfitted vehicle is little more than a weak hull. Base HP does not make a vehicle powerful. Only through fitting can a vehicle become a true threat on the battlefield.
  • Active vs. passive modules. There will be a far greater emphasis on active module use than ever before. The intent here is to create “waves of opportunity” that allow vehicles to be devastating… temporarily. Active modules will greatly enhance a vehicle’s attributes, but when they enter cooldown, the vehicle is left exposed and vulnerable to attack (more on this below). This back-and-forth allows infantry to engage vehicles, but do so knowing that the vehicle’s pilot has a short window in which he can drastically alter the outcome of any engagement.
  • Clear usage profiles for modules so players intuitively know and understand why it’s better to use a particular module or set of modules in a given situation.
  • Proper feedback so that it’s easier to understand what is happening (e.g. an HAV has activated shield hardeners) and how to counter it.
  • Turrets will now have finite ammunition. Vehicle vs. vehicle combat generally boils down to two vehicles parked opposite one another firing until someone pops. This is not fun. Finite ammunition allows us to make turrets more powerful while preventing them from being a constant threat; spam a target and eventually you will run out of ammo.
Expand
Once we’re confident we’ve gotten the base balance right we’ll start to add back in things we’ve removed as well as introduce new elements to the mix. Pilot dropsuits, improved roles, increased infantry and vehicle interplay, and new turret types for a start.

Active vs. Passive modules

We’re rebuilding everything with the idea that active modules will allow a vehicle to survive a single encounter, while passive modules increase its long-term surviveability across multiple encounters. Active modules will provide very significant bonuses, but once used their long recharge times leave a lone vehicle vulnerable to any follow-up attacks. Passive modules on the other hand provide permanent bonuses that are comparatively small. The breakdown is as follows:

Active
  • Large, temporary bonuses
  • High PG/CPU costs
  • Single encounter surviveability

Passive
  • Small, persistent bonuses
  • Comparatively low PG/CPU costs
  • Multiple encounter surviveability

Module Types

These are the modules that we’ll be focusing on in our first-pass rebalance:

• Armor/Shield Hardeners (A): Massive, temporary reduction to damage received.
  • Used to survive short, high-DPS situations. Long cool down times discourage overuse.

Armor Plates / Shield Extenders (P): Small permanent HP increase
  • Increases long-term sustainability at the expense of the base hull’s inherent strength (shield recharge time in the case of shields and speed in the case of armor)

Shield Boosters (A): Instant, emergency use high HP restoration in the heat of battle. Ultra-long cool down times.
  • Last-ditch injection of HP and a kick-start to shield recharge.

Armor Repairers (P): Speed up HP recovery outside of combat
  • Used to make running repairs between battles (too slow to be of real use in the heat of battle)

Damage Amplifiers (A): Massive, temporary increase to damage dealt.
  • Used to “punch above your weight class” or to restore something like parity to the playing field when hardeners are used.

Ammo Cache (P): Increases the amount of on-board ammunition available to turrets.
  • Used to increase ammo capacity. Useful when not near a supply depot.

Armor vs. Shields

The low HP, constant regen rate of vehicle shields previously used offered no real pros/cons. Vehicles now have much higher shield recharge rates than before, but to compensate they also have higher shield recharge delays. When taking fire shields will not regenerate (not until the second wave of module types is introduced, at any rate) requiring players to use shield boosters to kick-start shields, retreat to safety or attempt to destroy all targets and recuperate in the lull that follows. The hope is that this change will offer a readily apparent trade-off between shields and armor that allows players to pick a playstyle that suits them while not overly favoring any particular one.

Shield
  • Low HP ceiling, fast regen, hit-and-run.
  • More shields increases shield regen delay.
  • Once depleted, shields take a long time to kick back in.

Armor
  • High HP ceiling, slow regen, stand-and-deliver.
  • More armor slows you down.
  • Armor has no native regen.

Turrets
  • As mentioned above, we’ll be adding ammunition to turrets.
  • Small turrets are no longer mandatory when fitting a vehicle. This should allow for more interesting vehicle setups than before.

I think that's enough for now! We're looking forward to hearing what you think

CCP Wolfman

Guys, I really think this new update that hit today is something everyone really needs to try if they quit Dust already, only wish there was a good way to let people know. The visuals improved again, performance feels better, there is a better sense of travel instead of random teleporting lobby shooter (just a tad), there are some really awesome new moods and color palettes, the new maps are amazing and extremely different than the old maps, the list goes on and on. Very happy with this one.

I've not finished downloading the update yet, but I'm hearing mixed impressions on the forums. Matchmaking in particular seems like the main cause of concern, with people taking over 10 minutes and getting put into the wrong gamemode at the moment. Although this may be due to the small number of players online right now (2,700 at the time of this post). Another potential issue is that there's too much aim assist now; some people are describing it like an aimbot.

On a slightly lighter note the Gallente outpost sounds great and we at last have text timestamps.

Also, the Quafe suit is no longer pink again. NOOOOOOOOO

So on the brightside the new maps/sockets/revamps of old maps are all fantastic. The new research facility in particular absolutely raises the bar on anything we've seen so far in terms of map creation and I look forward to seeing maps they make in the future. They've increased the ability to zoom in on the overview screen so it's easier to pin point large numbers of enemy infantry and vehicles. And all the little changes to the UI are all very much appreciated.

... on the not so brightside matchmaking is broken (was set in a match that was 14v2), the way it's setup is such that you can't reliably queue up a single mode that you want to play because your preferences count as "votes" instead of "filters" and they've made Faction Warfare even more useless because the matchmaking often ignores what race you want to enter the battle as and sets you up with whatever has available slots.The good news is that a lot of the matchmaking issues are known about and fixes are on there way.

A lot of the forum complaints seem to be centered around the state of aim assist too but I'm under the impression that it's sort of necessary given that they've lifted all limitations from the mouse/keyboard setup. CCP Wolfman went on to confirm that you'll be able to adjust aspects of the aim assist in 1.5 as well.

1.4 was never the patch I was particularly "excited" about but I look forward to seeing what's on the horizon for 1.5 with the complete vehicle overhaul, buffs to the light frame suit, and addition of things like vehicle locks as well. Once we get those core issues out of the way I look forward to the implementation of the remaining racial dropsuits and vehicles as well as some new gear and features that'll help us better connect with EVE.

So experiences from this morning and now are very different. Matchmaking is terrible, and the aim assist is a little too high. If they can fix those two things it will be a really solid update.

Just played a game. Seemed okay. Forgot to turn auto-aim back on to test it. Matchmaking is def. weird, and took a couple minutes longer. Seems obvious they didn't test this update as well as they should have.

Check out the new maps, they are amazingly good!

Impact Ridge
MN_Craters01_BG01_sk.jpg

Fractured Road

Border Gulch - my favorite

Akainu

So no more tanks setting up camp on top of mountains? Can they only resupply at depots or do they get their own nanohive.

I don't think I like the sound of the swarm launcher changes. I like to do as much damage as possible before I have to reload it takes for ever to take out tanks already.

So no more tanks setting up camp on top of mountains? Can they only resupply at depots or do they get their own nanohive.

I don't think I like the sound of the swarm launcher changes. I like to do as much damage as possible before I have to reload it takes for ever to take out tanks already.

Tanks are still going to redline so long as supply depots are placed in areas that are only accessible through the redline (most Skirmishes have at least one supply depot situated in each team's redline). Even if there weren't any supply depots in the area I'd imagine you'd still be able to do something like Redline Tank -> Run out of Ammo -> Recall and call new one. I'm interested to see how they're going to balance something like that along with the active modules having "super long cooldowns" vs. how easy it is to simply recall and call a new vehicle. There's no mention of Nanohives working with them.

As for the Swarm Changes I've found that it hasn't been affecting me as much as I thought they would. A combination of the smaller clip and the fact that Tankers have been conditioned up until this point to always consider escape routes / potential cover means I'm never really coming into situations where I'm not able to react to enemy swarms in time to get away. Forges on the other hand continue to be the bane of my existence.

They really need to tone down aim assist though as I think it's a bit TOO effective in its current state. Its made the one bastion for the light frame suit, maneuverability, a completely moot point as it's extremely easy to keep a bead on a moving target now. I'm conflicted between the Laser Rifle having some semblance of usefulness now, the AR variants inevitably becoming the new fit of the month, and the Scout suit being nerfed harder than it already was. One of my corpie's reaction to the change was summed up with "Wow, this is literally cheating" after he switched from Keyboard/Mouse to Controller w/ Aim Assist.

Bring back E3 2012 Scout Strafe Speed and we may be talking.

In my opinion the aim assist is fine. It allows controller users to be on a more level playing field with mouse/keyboard guys as well as balance the advantages and disadvantages between using a precision weapon and using explosive weapons. And it's still only a little assist, not this crazy aim bot every has been saying. Many people complaining that they are dying more often than before, but remember the matchmaking has been improved to create more balanced teams as well as players gaining more skill points and making better fits to combat your fits.

Def. not aimbot. More of a latency correction. Let's face it, the lag in this game combined with a game controller is not fun. Until they can tune up the netcode, I don't see any other way. In fact, the aim assist could probably even be a little stronger and still be fine.

bjaelke

Starting playing Dust again this afternoon. Had a tiny amount of accumulated passive SP since last playing in January. The game has certainly come a long way since then - still some hickups, but definitely an improvement.

Anyway, I wanted to ask how salvaged items work. They seem to come at random times, in random games.

Starting playing Dust again this afternoon. Had a tiny amount of accumulated passive SP since last playing in January. The game has certainly come a long way since then - still some hickups, but definitely an improvement.

Anyway, I wanted to ask how salvaged items work. They seem to come at random times, in random games.
In public games salvage is completely random right now. This is planned to be reworked at some point in the future, but probably not until next year.

It's better in corporation battles because it's based on the enemies' destroyed equipment and you get a lot more items (often between 10 and 20 different kinds of salvage per battle).

Zen

Banned
I just came back after a bit of break (1 month and abit) figuring I'd be back on board with 1.4. I'm really liking the new bonuses for loging in every day, and the summary you get when you log it. Match making feels a lot better now, and being able to do faction specific searchs is great.

The Aim Assist feels fine to me. It does magnet really hard at close distances but that's where controller players have the hardest time so it makes sense. Especially with removing limitations on the Keyboard and mouse. The mussel flash and light sources being projected onto the environment look good, and also help in judging incoming fire from skill shots.

Tried it out on High/High and still found it a bit too framey for my liking, low/medium has a lot less drops than before and still looks really good.

All in all it feels like the game is actually coming together now and the tweaks to the murder Taxi are already having a very positive influence on the game. It's great!

The ability to search for faction warfare contracts is nice except a lot of new guys and people without squads are joining it, I really wish there was some sort of limitation like you must have so many warpoints and at least have a squad of 3. Yeah you can argue it's a game and you can play how you want, but that's why public contracts are there. Faction contracts don't offer anymore in terms of gameplay except that it has an impact on EVE and for the people who really care about their faction. Sorry if I'm coming off a bit harsh, but if you aren't that familiar with the game or don't have a squad it would be really nice if you stuck to public contracts.

The ability to search for faction warfare contracts is nice except a lot of new guys and people without squads are joining it, I really wish there was some sort of limitation like you must have so many warpoints and at least have a squad of 3. Yeah you can argue it's a game and you can play how you want, but that's why public contracts are there. Faction contracts don't offer anymore in terms of gameplay except that it has an impact on EVE and for the people who really care about their faction. Sorry if I'm coming off a bit harsh, but if you aren't that familiar with the game or don't have a squad it would be really nice if you stuck to public contracts.

Until FW becomes a thing that actually matters I don't really see the point in getting upset about it. What is FW if not Instant Battles with different team names? Were there rewards to be gained or something to be influenced within game I'd sympathize but until then ...

Until FW becomes a thing that actually matters I don't really see the point in getting upset about it. What is FW if not Instant Battles with different team names? Were there rewards to be gained or something to be influenced within game I'd sympathize but until then ...
The faction that controls a planet gets a decreased plexing time bonus, meaning they can capture it much faster in EVE. When you add up the potential time saved within a small area of systems it adds up fast, it does matter. Also I'm in a corp that focuses purely on FW, both EVE and Dust side. You say it's not something to get upset about, but all these people who have no clue what they're doing can easily just do public contracts. Faction contracts mean something to me, but to them they are no different then instant battles with different team names like you said, so why are they not searching for that instead of handicapping both my team and the enemy team?

The faction that controls a planet gets a decreased plexing time bonus, meaning they can capture it much faster in EVE. When you add up the potential time saved within a small area of systems it adds up fast, it does matter. Also I'm in a corp that focuses purely on FW, both EVE and Dust side. You say it's not something to get upset about, but all these people who have no clue what they're doing can easily just do public contracts. Faction contracts mean something to me, but to them they are no different then instant battles with different team names like you said, so why are they not searching for that instead of handicapping both my team and the enemy team?

Probably because, as you said, they don't have any clue about the significance of the battles. It's not their fault of course because the game does nothing to communicate this fact but the entire thing about the plexing time bonus is news to even myself. Add it to the stack of things the game needs to better communicate to its players.

Yeah, the main problem with Faction Warfare is that it provides no incentive for Dust players compared to normal pub games. If there was some kind of loyalty system, or if EVE players could pay mercs for their efforts, then FW would be much more interesting. I also don't like that Skirmish is the only gamemode on offer.

I feel there's a similar problem for EVE players providing orbital support; it doesn't benefit them in any way directly. Overall the EVE-Dust link is very shallow right now, and as one of the main selling features of Dust 514 it needs to be developed in a way which is beneficial to both sets of players for any interaction. I hope when PvE is released, it has some kind optional EVE-Dust combination which is meaningful and can be enjoyed by players from both games.

What would be a good sidearm to invest in?
In my opinion, the SMG is the most reliable. It's great for finishing off enemies who are down to armour. Pairing it with the Assault Scrambler can be really effective.

You have to be a lot more accurate with the Scrambler Pistol and Flaylock. Don't even bother with Nova Knives, they're completely useless outside of using them on a novelty ninja build (although quite satisfying in those rare moments when their hit detection actually works).

What would be a good sidearm to invest in?

Scrambler pistol above all. At first the SMG may be better since you get limited shots per clip in the scrambler pistol and it doesn't fire that fast, but as you go up you can get up to 11 shots per clip with crazy fast fire rate along with a 450% efficiency on headshots. In my opinion, once you get the skill up it is miles ahead of every other sidearm.

I haven't followed Dust at all since beta. Is there alot of interaction between Eve players and Dust players?

I have never played EVE before, but after awhile of Dust I joined an already existing EVE corp looking to expand into Dust and now I interact with them routinely, especially within Faction Warfare to coordinate orbital strikes. However the real EVE/Dust interaction is going to happen a little later this year when they revamp faction warfare and planetary conquest.

I've played the beta a while back and have the game on my PS3 hardrive I'm just wondering what would be the best way in trying to go back into playing this game with dedication

I've played the beta a while back and have the game on my PS3 hardrive I'm just wondering what would be the best way in trying to go back into playing this game with dedication
You're best bet would be to find an active corp with a good group of players to team up with. You should look on the corporation section of the main forums: https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=855. Here you should first look though some of the threads and see if any of the corps appeal to you.

Alternatively you could post a thread of your own in that section stating your playstyle and the kind of people you'd like to play with. You'll get plenty of replies and offers this way.

You're best bet would be to find an active corp with a good group of players to team up with. You should look on the corporation section of the main forums: https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=855. Here you should first look though some of the threads and see if any of the corps appeal to you.

Alternatively you could post a thread of your own in that section stating your playstyle and the kind of people you'd like to play with. You'll get plenty of replies and offers this way.

Thanks there is a Twitch live stream of Dust 514 with CCP Nullarbor - Engineer on DUST 514 and EVE Online in the chat answering questions

http://www.twitch.tv/ceo_pyrex

Dust news inbound!

Faction Warfare Changes :
https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=116188&find=unread

Summary~
CCP said:
Friendly fire will be enabled.
You will gain standings to corporations for winning matches.
You will lose standings for team killing players.
The higher your standings the higher your reward.
Losing too many standings will remove you from factional contracts.
Replace ISK payouts with loyalty point payouts.
Add a loyalty point store with unique items that cost both ISK and LP.
Orbital strikes from EVE only, no warbarge strike.
Add salvage based on what players used in the match.
New tab for the end of match screen focusing on factional contracts.

EVE Vegas Dust News :
http://www.twitch.tv/ccp/b/471606839?t=4h15m
Marketplace 2.0 - Revamped UI

Introduction of Player Markets to Dust

Planetary Conquest 2.0 - A completely reworked system for more balance and a more “hardcore” experience.
Clone packs will be changed so you actually have to load up a Warbarge (at a station in EVE) with MCC’s and clones and then either get a EVE pilot to actively pilot the clones to the desired plannet. Once there you’ll have to “anchor” the warbarge above the planet. (Multiple Warbarges could be anchored and thus blobbing a planet with x amount of Warbarges) :D

~credit to Lt Royal on Dust forums for compiling info.

1.6 patch notes hit
https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=118043&find=unread

Uprising 1.6 Patch Notes:

Release date: 5th November, Uprising 1.6 Overview Dev Blog

Localised versions: Spanish, Russian, Japanese, French, German, Italian

Dropsuits
* Increased scan radius from 10 meters to 16 meters on Scout and Basic Light Frame suits.
* Increased the repair tools’ rate of repair (general values for each tier): Standard and Militia: 40 HP/s, Advanced: 60 HP/s, Prototype: 70 HP/s.
* Adjusted the heavy dropsuit hit points: (shown below)
* Increased Basic and Sentinel armor/shield hit points from 405/405 to 480/480.
* Increased Commando armor/shield hit points from 250/250 to 325/325.

Vehicles
* Added stabilization for Militia Dropships to the control scheme to make them easier to fly.

Weapons
* Reduced the Forge gun blast radius: Standard: from 2.5m to 1.5m, Advanced: from 2.75m to 1.8m, Prototype: from 3m to 2.1m.

Bug fixes and polish
* Battle finder now shows a correct clone reserve count for corporation battles.
* Fixed missing hints on create button in Squad Finder.
* Applied fixes to vehicle turrets.
* Several graphical fixes regarding SSAO and Shadows.
* Fixed an issue where players would hang at the Show Info window if closed rapidly.
* Fixed an issue where players were not able to see server name and player count during server VIP mode.
* Further improvements to overall hit detection.
* Specific improvements made to shotgun hit detection.
* Specific improvements made to Nova Knife hit detection.
* Fixed a bug where players were getting stuck on the front of the HAV.
* Fixed a bug that caused strange behavior with third person mesh when killed in a turret.
* Fixed a bug that caused the third person mesh to sometimes 'freeze' if killed whilst crouching.
* Fixed a bug that caused equipment to slide on the base of the null cannon.
* Fixed a bug with visual corruption on wreck materials.

Not a big update, but still some really nice changes. Uprising 1.7 is looking to be massive.

Patch 1.7 Overview!
Vehicle Rebalance - Faction Overhaul - New Rifles!

Changes to Faction Warfare!

... it matters now! They've DEFINITELY gotten me way more interested in Faction Warfare and they've addressed a lack of incentive for EVE players to participate and really made Faction its own distinct mode.

CCP said:
Factional Contract matches will have friendly fire enabled
Factional Contract matches will not reward any ISK
Factional Contract matches will reward loyalty points to the players for the corporation they are fighting for
Factional Contract matches will reward standings between the player and the corporation they fight for
Players will lose standings towards corporations if they abuse friendly fire
Higher standings with a corporation will increase the loyalty points players gain from that corporation
The market has a new section specifically for spending loyalty points on faction specific items
Factional Contract matches will no longer have Warbarge strikes available (They will still be available in Planetary Conquest)
EVE Orbital Strikes in Factional Contract matches and Planetary Conquest matches must now be earned in EVE
Salvage in Factional Contract matches will be based on what the other team uses
A new tab displays on the end of match screen for Factional

so ... woo! Launching on Dec. 10th
Haven't been this excited for a patch in a loooooong time.

If anyone is looking for a corporation for a specific faction to help you out with the new factional warfare stuff, I could help get you situated with any of a few corps for Amarr, Minmatar, Gallente, and Caldari.
Note: Amarr is the best

Newbie here, just played a few matches and I really like it! I'm still a little confused about how everything works...

If I'm an Amarr can I change the character model to a Gallente suit in my room?

And what do you recommend for a sniper character...light suit or heavy?

Newbie here, just played a few matches and I really like it! I'm still a little confused about how everything works...

If I'm an Amarr can I change the character model to a Gallente suit in my room?

And what do you recommend for a sniper character...light suit or heavy?
Welcome, I'm glad you like it so far! Yes you can change to a Gallente suit in your merc quarters and warbarge. You just need to setup any Gallente dropsuit in your fittings and then make it the 'favourite'.

In regards to sniping, a light scout suit with profile dampeners would probably be the best way to go. Some of the best snipers in the game do use heavy suits for countersniping and close range protection, although as a new player you would probably do better with the manoeuvrebility and stealth of a scout. Personally I don't think it's a great time to be starting as a sniper, because sniping is nowhere near as effective as it used to be. Just make sure you try out a few different roles as well.

Welcome, I'm glad you like it so far! Yes you can change to a Gallente suit in your merc quarters and warbarge. You just need to setup any Gallente dropsuit in your fittings and then make it the 'favourite'.

In regards to sniping, a light scout suit with profile dampeners would probably be the best way to go. Some of the best snipers in the game do use heavy suits for countersniping and close range protection, although as a new player you would probably do better with the manoeuvrebility and stealth of a scout. Personally I don't think it's a great time to be starting as a sniper, because sniping is nowhere near as effective as it used to be. Just make sure you try out a few different roles as well.

Thanks for th info ;) yeah...maeby it's not the best time to be a sniper at Dust...but I love it haha

The Light

Would getting some profile dampeners a good idea? I play as logi and trying to stay under the radar when i roll with my corp, but seems like everyone has active scanners now.

Top Bottom