• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 07 - What we know Nintendo is bringing to the table

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
..pakbeka.. said:
apparently NAMCO-BANDAI, SEGA and CAPCOM are shifting their focus from the ps3 and pspto the wii and the DS
http://www.nikkei.co.jp/news/main/20070625AT1D210BD22062007.html

I wonder if we'll start seeing the effects of this at e3, but I think they'll save the announcements for TGS
honestly, i think TGS is the way to go for these guys. as much as i would like info sooner as opposed to later, Nintendo is gonna be at TGS this year. its not gonna be a sony event this time, if they do make their big announcements for TGS (N/B have already released 1, and are woking on 3 gundam projects for the Wii, a huge franchise in japan, no matter the quality). capcom is the only one i can really see showing their Wii hand at E3, seeing as they have a huge fanbase stateside, but TGS could very well turn into Nintendo's event. with their domination of Japan, the only things that will draw the crowds to sony's both will be FF13 and MGS4. nintendo meanwhile has DQ9, Gundam, and all of their biggest franchises. plus the non-games. TGS could very well be a coup from nintendo.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kiriku said:
I don't see the problem? It's related to Nintendo platforms, releases, 2007, US, what to expect - it was just a simple question. :| If you don't want to answer it, maybe someone else can? I'm just curious how many of those games I can look forward to for the rest of the year, and I haven't been keeping up on all the different release dates.
Oh sorry, I thought you were complaining, from my list I think the following have been officially announced for a 2007 release in NA:

- Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
- Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
- Heroes of Mana (Brownie Brown)
- Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword (Team Ninja)
- Contra 4 (Konami/WayFoward)
- Luminous Arc
- Sonic Rush Adventure

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
schuelma said:
need....translation...

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Game major SCE it leaves and for advances Nintendo Co. to software reversal

Game software major company such as バンダイナムコゲームス and Sega, relative importance of software development the SONY computer entertainment (for SCE) from is moving to Nintendo Co.. As for バンダイナムコ and Sega for Nintendo Co. which is sold in 2007 the quantity of software planning redoubling at preceding year ratio. As for SCE squeezing to the large-sized work which can anticipate hit, it advances development. As for number of shipments 3 of major companies which add カプコン for Nintendo Co. for SCE it is the prospect that it is reversed.

The Nintendo Co. portable type game machine "ニンテンドー DS" and deferred type "Wii (ウィー)" vis-a-vis favorable demand, high functional machine "place t Shaun 3 of SCE (PS3)" it has been restrained. Software each company seeing the spread of the Nintendo Co. game machine, throwing the new work rapidly. On the one hand, high efficiency for PS3 of the merchandise as for the software is a tendency where production expense expands, cannot avoid becoming prudent. (07:00)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jj984jj said:
Oh sorry, I thought you were complaining, from my list I think the following have been officially announced for a 2007 release in NA:

- Heroes of Mana (Brownie Brown)
- Luminous Arc
- Sonic Rush Adventure

Much appreciated. :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I posted this list at SomethingAwful. I've been trying to speculate about what sort of DS games Nintendo could show at E3:

Currently Announced for US Release, already Released in Japan (4)
Brain Age 2, DS Air, Picross DS, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Currently Announced for US Release, not out yet (2)
Chibi-Robo: Park Patrol, DK Jungle Climber

Out in Japan, could reasonably be localized (4 -- reasonably means not based on a Japanese cultural thing; reasonably does not mean based on sales)
Tingle RPG (confirmed for Europe), Kurikin Nano Island Story (real-time pokemon except you battle viruses and bacteria), Touch Panic (puzzle game), Project Hacker (phoenix wright meets computer hacking)

Being developed but no plans announced for any release anywhere (2)
Slide Adventure, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2

Nintendo Franchises that have not yet seen DS Releases (10 - bold for series with previous handheld titles)
Metroid, Fire Emblem, F-Zero, Pikmin, Wave Race, Pilotwings, Kururin ("the Irritable Stick" on PS1), Mario Party, 1080 Snowboarding, Smash Bros.

Dead Nintendo franchises that gamers wish would come back and could fit the DS (5)
Kid Icarus, ExciteBike, Ice Climbers, Punch-Out!, StarTropics.

Mario Spots that have not yet shown up on DS (5)
Mario Pinball, Mario Golf (Nintendo published a golf game for the DS, though), Mario Tennis, Mario Soccer/Strikers, Mario Baseball.

Previous system cancelled Nintendo titles that could reasonably end up being reworked or recycled (3)
Battland (HAL GBA RPG), Luna Blaze (HAL GBA RPG), Mario Artist (N64 Mario Paint-ish)

The neat thing is that even if all of these end up on the DS in the US, there's still only 35 games in the list; given that the DS has at least three full calendar years of active releases, I expect most of the games in the future will be either new installments of franchises already on the DS or new games entirely.

And, finally, DS Franchises that might receive another installment (6)
Advance Wars, Kirby, Elite Beat Agents, Metroid Prime, New Super Mario Bros, Wario

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Stumpokapow said:
Out in Japan, could reasonably be localized (4 -- reasonably means not based on a Japanese cultural thing; reasonably does not mean based on sales)
Tingle RPG (confirmed for Europe), Kurikin Nano Island Story (real-time pokemon except you battle viruses and bacteria), Touch Panic (puzzle game), Project Hacker (phoenix wright meets computer hacking)

Being developed but no plans announced for any release anywhere (2)
Slide Adventure, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2
We talking about the same Nintendo of America? I think you need to switch those three games with PMD2.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jj984jj said:
We talking about the same Nintendo of America? I think you need to switch those three games with PMD2.

PMD doesn't have a release date anywhere. It's obviously coming to North America, but there's been no announcement even for Japan I don't think.

And like I said, "reasonable" just means there's nothing preventing the games from being released here, not that NOA is likely to do it--although Tingle and Kurikin should make it.

Thanks OP, for making this topic.

I didn't want to say this in my topic, but this is really a make or break E3 for Nintendo. They may have the hottest system right now, but they've done what amounts to jacksquat in providing for new console owners sans a hopefully decent batch of VC games every week and some absolutely worthless channels (EVERYBODY VOTES? Come on.), all while failing to address the Wii's biggest...y'know...gamer problems. More space for channels, where the hell is online, dates for the big 3 (well, two now), where the hell is online, where are demos and original games, WHERE THE HELL IS ONLINE, etc. Nintendo needs to realize that the kid and grandma population could give a rat's ass about E3. It's all about the hardest of the hardcore putting their arses under a microscope, and Nintendo for 11 years had difficulty with this...it wasn't until last year that they finally "got it". Unfortunately, I'm starting to worry that they've lost it again, especially after last month's press event eschewed Metroid for Brain Age and Smash Bros. for Puzzle League. Let's hope E3 gives some love to the truly hardcore stuff.

ziran

Thanks for the info Shikamaru Ninja, I'll update the original post.

soundwave05 said:
Nintendogs 2 is an absolute gaurunteed 10+ million seller, people sorta forget about that for whatever reason. There's no way they haven't been working on that Nintendogs engine with new puppies/features. After 2 years on market, the first one has probably run through a lot of its sales, so a new one this fall makes sense.
Yeah, a Nintendogs/pets game for Wii would be huge.

jj984jj said:
What about?

Square-Enix
- Dragon Quest IX
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
- Final Fantasy IV
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2
- Front Mission 1st
- It's a Wonderful World (Jupiter)
- Seiken Densetsu: Heroes of Mana (Brownie Brown)

And:
- Shin Tantei Series: Kyoto Atami Zekkai no Kotou (Tecmo)
- Sonic RPG (Sega/Bioware)
- Anno 1701: Dawn of Discovery
- Archime-DS
- Glory Days 2
- Luminous Arc
- Professor Layton (Level 5)
- (The) Settlers
- (The) Silver Case
- (The) Silver Case Word 25
- Summon Night: Twin Age
- Tantei Jinguuji Saburou DS (Arc System Works)
Yeah, there are several developers missing, but afaik the list from Wiiz.fr is what 3rd parties have so far confirmed to be showing at E3.

Taxman said:
Vicarious Visions is working on an unannounced DS game, so add that in i guess. It'll probably get revealed then.
Thanks. Do you know who the publisher is?

QuickKick89 said:

I didn't want to say this in my topic, but this is really a make or break E3 for Nintendo. They may have the hottest system right now, but they've done what amounts to jacksquat in providing for new console owners sans a hopefully decent batch of VC games every week and some absolutely worthless channels (EVERYBODY VOTES? Come on.), all while failing to address the Wii's biggest...y'know...gamer problems. More space for channels, where the hell is online, dates for the big 3 (well, two now), where the hell is online, where are demos and original games, WHERE THE HELL IS ONLINE, etc. Nintendo needs to realize that the kid and grandma population could give a rat's ass about E3. It's all about the hardest of the hardcore putting their arses under a microscope, and Nintendo for 11 years had difficulty with this...it wasn't until last year that they finally "got it". Unfortunately, I'm starting to worry that they've lost it again, especially after last month's press event eschewed Metroid for Brain Age and Smash Bros. for Puzzle League. Let's hope E3 gives some love to the truly hardcore stuff.
There have been rumours about Nintendo starting to take online more seriously, so something more substantial (maybe around Miis) could be coming. However, I think Nintendo's main concern with online will continue to be the money earners, VC and probably original downloadable content.

I echo what's already been said about Gaybrush or The Colonel, if you are about and can comment on anything please do so, thanks! :)

QuickKick89 said:

QFT

Linkup

5xh34wp.jpg

That looks awesome.

Harvest Moon DS Cute

what? :lol

I REALLY hope companies announce more DS games, DS's game announcements have been really disappointing lately.

i think for sure Mario Kart Wii is going to be shown, as well as a Kid Icarus game. Pikmin is highly probably too. And Animal Crossing Wii also extremely likely. Demo channel and great new content also expected. I cannot wait!

QuickKick89 said:

1up.

Pazuzu

Banned
I hope to hear an announcement about new colors...I can't wait to get my hands on a black Wii. :D
no joke! I'm holding out so it matches my entertainment center

ziran

bearcatjosh said:
I don't know what to do with myself...an E3 thread that's actually informative!

Thanks, OP!

I had forgotten about Wii Motor Sports; isn't it supposed to have a Waverace-esque mode?
Yeah, at E3 last year, Katsuya Eguchi, the game's producer (who was part of the team that made Wave Race 64), said Wii Motor Sports could have Jet Ski and Motorbike/cross modes:
http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/e3/enGB/index.php
Will there be other sports featured in the game?

"Within the Wii Sports category there are action sports like tennis, baseball, golf and then we have motor sports, so you might see something like a jetski or a bike. There could be various applications within motor sports but they will all exist within the Wii Sports title.

"What's on the show floor is just kind of a sample. We don't know exactly what we'll have yet. There will probably be more action sports and motor sports."

Linkup said:
http://i8.tinypic.com/5xh34wp.jpg

That looks awesome.
Yeah, it looked amazing in the videos from E3 last year, it's probably my most anticipated Wii game (along with Mario Galaxy), I hope it comes out.

Nintendo already has the key games they need this year in Galaxy/Corruption/Brawl (the holy Wii trinity as it were) and all three look great. I'm assuming they have more of those Wii Play/Sports/Health/Music etc. etc. games coming to go with those.

If that's all they have at E3 (all playable) plus an unveiling of Mario Kart Wii and/or Star Fox Wii or something like that, I'll be satisified.

I really hope they won't screw forever blue.
This game have so much potential.
My hype'o'meter for E3 is rising dangerously as my productivity is going really down.
So impatient :D

I am kinda curious to see what it is about Disaster: Day of Crisis (if anything) that might have prompted Nintendo to buy a large stake in the company.

Yagharek

Linkup said:
<Wii Airplane image>

That looks awesome.

That looks sensational. So clean, vibrant and colourful. Hopefully, being under the "Wii Sports" label means it should be a perfect example of how well motion controls can be implemented.

The only thing missing is the chance to have a Mii in the cockpit, sporting flying goggles and a scarf, Red Baron-in-a-biplane style. :D

legend166

soundwave05 said:
Nintendo already has the key games they need this year in Galaxy/Corruption/Brawl (the holy Wii trinity as it were) and all three look great. I'm assuming they have more of those Wii Play/Sports/Health/Music etc. etc. games coming to go with those.

If that's all they have at E3 (all playable) plus an unveiling of Mario Kart Wii and/or Star Fox Wii or something like that, I'll be satisified.

Same here. Along with release dates for Galaxy and Smash. Then I can just add 6 months to them so I know when I'll get to play them.

I can't wait to hear about Wii Health Pack. We haven't heard about the title in a loooooooooooooong while. They absolutely need another Wii Sports type title/s for the hardcore type games to compliment.

I just want a blowout of new stuff for titles that's supposed to come out later in 07 >.>

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah, if they can manage to get something on the market with the same positive mainstream word of mouth as wii sports that isn't/I] included with the system, that would obviously be huge for business.

ziran

soundwave05 said:
I am kinda curious to see what it is about Disaster: Day of Crisis (if anything) that might have prompted Nintendo to buy a large stake in the company.
Well, Iwata said Monolith Soft and Nintendo think alike:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/070427qa/index.html
In the case of Monolith Software, Mr. Sugiura, the president, and Nintendo have a long-term relationship. How Mr. Sugiura thinks is close to how Nintendo thinks. The software Mr. Sugiura would like to create is in line with what Nintendo would like to have for its platform. So, we thought that Nintendo should support this idea, and we decided to take action.
Also, there have been several rumours about them having a big RPG for Wii in the works. They're also expanding, so Nintendo must have seen something great in them, even though the last Xenosaga or Baten Kaitos didn't sell well and weren't universally praised to the extent you'd think it would be worth buying the company.

Sule

Stumpokapow said:
Project Hacker (phoenix wright meets computer hacking)

I remember seeing screenshots of this game and a short explanation of what the game was about, sounded and looked really interesting. The hacking was supposed to be a puzzle-game-like thing. Didn't know it was already out in Japan though. Anybody who has played it or at least know more about it? Google only gives me homebrew and DS hack sites, not exactly what I'm looking for.

ziran said:
Well, Iwata said Monolith Soft and Nintendo think alike:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/070427qa/index.html

Also, there have been several rumours about them having a big RPG for Wii in the works. They're also expanding, so Nintendo must have seen something great in them, even though the last Xenosaga or Baten Kaitos didn't sell well and weren't universally praised to the extent you'd think it would be worth buying the company.

It's a bit weird though because Baten Kaitos and Xenosaga (or Disaster: DoC) really don't strike me at all like titles Nintendo would traditionally make.

Although, maybe that's the point, and why Nintendo opted for them.

E-phonk

Banned
Sule said:
I remember seeing screenshots of this game and a short explanation of what the game was about, sounded and looked really interesting. The hacking was supposed to be a puzzle-game-like thing. Didn't know it was already out in Japan though. Anybody who has played it or at least know more about it? Google only gives me homebrew and DS hack sites, not exactly what I'm looking for.
It's out. Can't remember the impressions, but nothing too shocking-amazing afaik.

ziran

soundwave05 said:
It's a bit weird though because Baten Kaitos and Xenosaga (or Disaster: DoC) really don't strike me at all like titles Nintendo would traditionally make.

Although, maybe that's the point, and why Nintendo opted for them.
I agree. I think what we've seen of Disaster: DoC so far doesn't look good at all, in fact it looks like a bad PS2 GTA clone. Similarly, Xenosaga or Baten Kaitos aren't the kind of titles I'd expect Nintendo to be associated with.

Maybe Monolith Soft gets on so well with Nintendo because they try/want to make something different, with unique elements, and, like you said, they don't have many teams making these big, epic experiences.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Shikamaru Ninja said:
I still no not doubt Metroid DS will be shown this year at E3.
okay, i need some clarification on this sentence as it makes no sense.

1) are you saying that you believe Metroid DS will be shown at this year's E3?

OR

2) are you saying that Metroid DS will not be shown at this year's E3?

which is it? 1 or 2?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm obviously not shikamaru ninja, but the 20th anniversary of metroid + big metroid wii release later this year makes e3 a great time to pull back the curtain on a handheld metroid title. one hand washes the other: the ds title not only has a huge market to which it can sell, it also helps bolster metroid as a legitimate franchise.

Sule

beelzebozo said:
...but the 20th anniversary of metroid...

Is it me or does it seem like there are quite a few big/still alive franchises that are having there 20th anniversary this year? Good ol' NES.

Pikmin 3, for ****'s sake. If I don't get Pikmin 3 with an online-enabled version of Pikmin 2's multiplayer mode, I am going to consider quitting gaming.

Mar

Sule said:
Is it me or does it seem like there are quite a few big/still alive franchises that are having there 20th anniversary this year?

Well I'd certainly go nuts for a new 2D Metroid. Great way to celebrate its 20th birthday.

As to your question. Seems like a number of iconic games started off around 1987. One for instance, Last Ninja on the C64, is getting a remake for its birthday too. I doubt we'll see anything at E3. Would be awesome if it does get shown though.

radcliff

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Wii MotorSports and Wii Music and Animal Crossing
All three games being developed at Entertainment Analysis & Development Group No. 1. Wii Music should hit Japan this year. Aniimal Crossing next summer.

Wii Motorsports I pray does not become vaporware. Remember this team is still considered the Wave Race 64 team. Imagine them coming up with a way to bring us Wave Race, Excitebike, and Pilotwings on the Wii o_O !!

Wouldn't this be Entertainment Analysis & Development Group No. 2, Katsuya Egushi's group?

Also, with Aonuma wanting to take a break from Zelda since before Twilight Princess, is it possible another team, maybe Shimizu's team which comprises OOT's dierctor, could handle Zelda Wii?

Top Bottom