• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA up for Worst Company in America for 2nd year in a row

Grief.exe

I dont know about that since they imply thousands of people who are innocent in all of the terrible decisions EA has made and those employees have families, kids who havent done anything. I dont want them to go bankrupt. I want the corporate leaders to be forced out. For all of those who decide on te anticonsumerism to be forced out of decision making roles.

I always think about that. The people whose life long dream were to make video games.

What if you were a developer at Bioware.

All of a sudden bought out by EA. Forced to rush DA2 and turn The Older Republic into a bad WoW clone.

Watch the founders of the company and your friends quit because the horrible direction the company is headed in.

Forced to make SimCity the objectively worst game in the franchise and fill it with DRM.

Or what about Ubisoft?

Forced to make games aimed at the lowest common denominator. Like Assassin's Creed over and over again, until you retire.

Or watch the horrible decline of Splinter Cell.

I would be really sad, but at least Ubisoft isn't regarded as one of the most anti-consumer corporations.

Animator

Yep that's what it comes down to, banks who purposely ruined people's lives through what they knew were very risky decisions and unethical policies or EA because hey they make a video game I didn't like and didn't even buy! lol people who think video games anywhere approach people having their homes wrongfully foreclosed upon need to get a damn life.

You have to realize the people who pick EA over those companies probably don't have a life and videogames is pretty much their world.

JABEE

You have to realize the people who pick EA over those companies probably don't have a life and videogames is pretty much their world.

Also, this poll isn't doesn't seem very serious. It's supposed to be about how their readership "feels" about a company.

Making BoA's logo into a steaming pile of shit is truly a worthy reaction to contributing to the ruination of the global economy. I think EA fits that description better. A company that is supposed to be about bringing joy to people's lives creating barriers and monetization strategies to control the fun people can have with their products.

Eusis

Or they've been very fortunate. Though even just purely selfish crap I'd go with the likes of Walmart first and foremost, their drives at lowering prices brought about holes in my game cases! And cheapened products on a whole (probably also a huge factor in manuals vanishing), and because of their drive to be cheap cheap cheap have managed to force many businesses to be less ethical and/or outsource more of their work, whereas before they were more expensive but higher quality and made locally. Nevermind how they drive out other businesses.

.... This makes Walmart a great choice for compromising between selfish me me me and being a genuinely harmful company, huh? It is why I'll take GameStop over them more often than not anyway, gutting my cases really isn't THAT bad when if you do a bit of searching you can avoid it if it's not one copy at every store anyway, nevermind that when it comes to messing with cases opening them's no where near cutting holes out: I was going to remove the shrinkwrap anyway, but the holes can't just be filled up, and I may need to hunt around for a suitable case if I have that desire (and it may not be available at all.)

Last year I disagreed with this. But, simultaneously EA has gotten worse since last year, and many of the financial institutions have gotten better. With the exception of LGBT support, EA has only gotten worse in company perception since last year.

Also, let's be real, this is because people who play videogames and read blogs like the consumerist vote on this. If this were a random poll, EA wouldn't even make the list.

Also, this poll isn't doesn't seem very serious. It's supposed to be about how their readership "feels" about a company.

Making BoA's logo into a steaming pile of shit is truly a worthy reaction to contributing to the ruination of the global economy. I think EA fits that description better. A company that is supposed to be about bringing joy to people's lives creating barriers and monetization strategies to control the fun people can have with their products.

I'm pretty certain people derive far more pleasure from owning a home and secure financials than they do from playing Simcity, but hey that's just me. Just because Banks don't make entertainment products doesn't mean one of their purposes is not to bring "joy" (responsible banking stimulates the economy through responsible loaning and this in turn is supposed to improve peoples' lives).

In tomorrows headlines, EA lobbies the U.S government to ban polls judging the ethical qualities of individual corporations. News Ltd. follows suit. At least 5 GOP Senators are on their side.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm no fan of EA, but in this instance I gotta give the nod to AT&T.

Sorry, gaf.

bill0527

They absolutely deserve the nomination for this botched launch, but it was silly to see them win over Sallie Mae/Bank of America/AT&T before and will be silly to see them win over them again.

Totally agree 100%.

I hate EA as much as the next gamer, but companies like Sally Mae, BoA, and Countrywide fucking destroy people's lives. .

JABEE

I'm pretty certain people derive far more pleasure from owning a home and secure financials than they do from playing Simcity, but hey that's just me. Just because Banks don't make entertainment products doesn't mean one of their purposes is not to bring "joy" (responsible banking stimulates the economy through responsible loaning and this in turn is supposed to improve peoples' lives).

Yes, but banking is serious. Most people don't take this as a serious poll.

And I'm certain voting on this online poll won't change anything. That's why I can't get mad at people for voting for EA on this poll. They may not be the worst, but people think they are worthy of scorn and that's all that matters.

Can someone fill me in on why Ticketmaster is on the list?

I just don't know enough about Ticketmaster to really pass a judgment.

CamHostage

Last year I disagreed with this. But, simultaneously EA has gotten worse since last year, and many of the financial institutions have gotten better...

I take it you've never seen the show House of Lies?

Because Ticketmaster is Ticketmaster. You cannot go to a concert now without a "Service Fee" on your ticket from one of these concert companies; artists fought and lost for the rights to independently host/promote their shows and had to give up. Between the service fee and shipping, the last show I went to was 35% fees. The music industry is dying and Ticketmaster is happily adding taxes to a dead horse.

And I'm certain voting on this online poll won't change anything. That's why I can't get mad at people for voting for EA on this poll. They may not be the worst, but people think they are worthy of scorn and that's all that matters.

But then scorn them on GAF and shun them at the registers. If you don't like the directions they're going, take it to them. I see a huge difference between having difficulty with a company that actively interacts with its customers (even if it does a lot to piss them off) versus a company that takes the money and shits in your hand as reward. This poll gets national headlines for some dumb reason and it just embarrasses this industry I believe that we gamers are seen as so petty and so nothing-better-to-do-on-a-Friday-night that we'll vote in a poll to air our grievances rather than condemning real villains.

I had to vote EA, because I'm an Aussie. AT&Ts bullshit doesn't directly affect me, EA does.

A company makes profits off the deaths of its own employees (and countless other not-so-nice things)... is less troubling than you paying more for games and dealing with DRM? RIIIIGHT!

A company makes profits off the deaths of its own employees (and countless other not-so-nice things)... is less troubling than you paying more for games and dealing with DRM? RIIIIGHT!

If that is what AT&T is doing, than they don't need to be winning Worst Company in America awards, they need to be standing in front of a Grand Jury.

with them winning they will strive harder to go far and beyond the worst company just so they can win another award next year ;P

Valnen

I wouldn't know either. I've bought several concert tickets from them and have never had issues. I even had to use their customer service once when I bought the wrong tickets and they gave me a full refund with no hassle and let me purchase the correct tickets.

Darklord

Banned

They're pretty scummy. Refuses refunds unless basically forced to, and extra fees and charges for everything. They charge you a fee to print your own e-ticket.

If that is what AT&T is doing, than they don't need to be winning Worst Company in America awards, they need to be standing in front of a Grand Jury.

It's not illegal!

But it is illegal for ME to buy home insurance on YOUR home!

WTF???

Edit:
I wouldn't know either. I've bought several concert tickets from them and have never had issues. I even had to use their customer service once when I bought the wrong tickets and they gave me a full refund with no hassle and let me purchase the correct tickets.
They're pretty scummy. Refuses refunds unless basically forced to, and extra fees and charges for everything. They charge you a fee to print your own e-ticket.

Thank you.

nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

daycru

Listen, it isn't like the winner of this contest has their CEO imprisoned and then the company is dissolved, its profits being given to children dying from cancer. It's a goofy Interhet contest that will make EA send out a butthurt press release. There are no stakes, the hyperventilation is unneeded.

Top Bottom