• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Huber but yeah he does come up with some of the most ridiculous things at times. him and Damiani with the funky numbers.

His bet is more ridiculous. He thinks they're gonna release God of War this March? Just a few weeks after Horizon Zero Dawn? Just doesn't make any sense.

I think the skyboxes aren't real based on planets either and Murray at one point said "You would have to fake this in other games". They also don't rotate or revolve around a star.

In updates on development going back to February this year they've talked about changing the realistic rotation of planets significantly because playtesters couldn't get their heads around it. There are any number of changes that have been made that are unrealistic so it will play better. It's not like taking hours to land on a planet would make people enjoy the game more, even if that would be more realistic.

The press role is to inform their readers/viewers , not to cater to the publishers.

Publicising a narrative about a game in a state the vast, vast majority of players will never experience doesn't serve the audience at all. It's pure profit-driven coverage.

luchadork

Publicising a narrative about a game in a state the vast, vast majority of players will never experience doesn't serve the audience at all. It's pure profit-driven coverage.

having played the "patched" game, if this is the vastly different content filled improved version of the game, wtf was the pre-patched version like? just a loading screen? all reports and impressions from the pre patch version stack up to the patched version. the only narrative being pushed here is from the developer trying to cover up negative publicity before a launch. thats the real profit-driven motivation here. sean murray not wanting to spook buyers of his game.

having played the "patched" game, if this is the vastly different content filled improved version of the game, wtf was the pre-patched version like? just a loading screen? all reports and impressions from the pre patch version stack up to the patched version. the only narrative being pushed here is from the developer trying to cover up negative publicity before a launch. thats the real profit-driven motivation here. sean murray not wanting to spook buyers of his game.
Negative publicity... because reviewers were playing and reviewing a beta version of the game in order to meet their deadlines.

Maybe the final version is garbage too (I haven't played it yet!), but it seems like we could ask for higher standards? Ebert wasn't writing film reviews based on the first cut shared with studio execs.

luchadork

Negative publicity... because reviewers were playing and reviewing a beta version of the game in order to meet their deadlines.

Maybe the final version is garbage too (I haven't played it yet!), but it seems like we could ask for higher standards? Ebert wasn't writing film reviews based on the first cut shared with studio execs.

you talk about higher standards yet you seem to be fairly willing to give this $80 game a pass from criticism for whatever reason. if this was an EA game and it was released in this state i think we'd unanimously be all over them in condemnation. i've played the final game, a lot, and the criticisms the 'prepatched' version got still apply. just cause the pr department says that final version is a completely different experience, doesnt mean that this rings true in reality. we should hold developers of whatever budget to the same standards as everyone else and call them out for their mess of a game and shady half truths.

and this is coming from someone who heard the negative publicity but still took the risk because he thought either way he's supporting an indie developer try something ambitious. now i feel more burnt than i have in a long time. i wish i had really listened to the early reviews.

you talk about higher standards yet you seem to be fairly willing to give this $80 game a pass from criticism for whatever reason. if this was an EA game and it was released in this state i think we'd unanimously be all over them in condemnation. i've played the final game, a lot, and the criticisms the 'prepatched' version got still apply. just cause the pr department says that final version is a completely different experience, doesnt mean that this rings true in reality. we should hold developers of whatever budget to the same standards as everyone else and call them out for their mess of a game and shady half truths.
Not what I'm saying at all? Criticism of the final game is reasonable, but a lot of it is undermined when so many reviewers (unabashedly!) based their impressions on a beta.

In updates on development going back to February this year they've talked about changing the realistic rotation of planets significantly because playtesters couldn't get their heads around it. There are any number of changes that have been made that are unrealistic so it will play better. It's not like taking hours to land on a planet would make people enjoy the game more, even if that would be more realistic.

There is nothing to rotate around , each solar system is in its own skybox and if you try to fly to the star the game bugs out and crashes because you are not supposed to go there.
Its all smoke and mirrors, which would be okay if they had not said that it wasnt going to be like that before release.

Each site has to decide what serves their audience by themselves.

Each site has to decide what serves their audience by themselves.

Sure, but that's not the same as saying they can't be wrong. In this case there is no argument to be made that can support the idea that publishing impressions based on an unfinished build 99.9% of players will never see as if it was final is probative.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Do you guys think that EZA can reach 50k or have they more or less peaked? Haven't followed the development of other crowdfunded projects and can't compare their story to others. I'd really love to see them build a studio.

Kneefoil

Do you guys think that EZA can reach 50k or have they more or less peaked? Haven't followed the development of other crowdfunded projects and can't compare their story to others. I'd really love to see them build a studio.

50k isn't entirely out of the question, but the growth will be very slow from here on out. It'll likely take them years to reach 50k (if they ever reach it at all), unless something totally unexpected happens to boost their funding.

A studio would be great for them, but I'm honestly pretty satisfied with what they are offering already.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Kyle saying "Rivers and Lakes" whilst playing Tetris made me think there were official terms for clearing 1, 2 and 3 lines in Tetris (Clearing 4 lines is, of course, just called a "Tetris"), disappointing to find out that isn't the case

ElTorro

A studio would be great for them, but I'm honestly pretty satisfied with what they are offering already.

Yeah, me too. I also think that the money is better invested in wages and other running costs. But it would still be cool.

This week's BosWoz was so good, ffs.

The end of the stream nearly killed me.

I love how every week Kyle and the chat are developing jokes together.

Wiggy

I think to hit 50 they'd have to pull a Kinda Funny and launch a second patreon for non gaming content, which i wouldnt be against. A movie podcast hosted by huber? I'd be willing to chuck an extra $5 a month. Prob too much work for them though with their editing issues, fulfilling rewards etc.

Hasney

I think to hit 50 they'd have to pull a Kinda Funny and launch a second patreon for non gaming content, which i wouldnt be against. A movie podcast hosted by huber? I'd be willing to chuck an extra $5 a month. Prob too much work for them though with their editing issues, fulfilling rewards etc.

Well the biggest part would be that the exta content would cost more, so the studio would probably increase the goal anyway.

To hit 50k, something would have to go viral to expand their reach and keep those new eyeballs. I don't think there's much else the guys can do without increasing production or reward costs.

Wiggy

Well the biggest part would be that the exta content would cost more, so the studio would probably increase the goal anyway.

To hit 50k, something would have to go viral to expand their reach and keep those new eyeballs. I don't think there's much else the guys can do without increasing production or reward costs.

Oh yeah sure, it must be headache even thinking about doing more patreon stuff and working out costs. But if done right it can really be worth it, looking at how KF doubled their money. Either way though it doesnt seem like something they'd do tbh anyway.

Speaking of kinda funny and studios I saw greg miller tweet they are getting a studio soon. So it took them 2 years(?) to get out of their front room. EZA are only like 4 months old, sometimes I forget how new they are. Huber will probably be ruling his own Viking village by the time they hit year 2.

Hasney

Oh yeah sure, it must be headache even thinking about doing more patreon stuff and working out costs. But if done right it can really be worth it, looking at how KF doubled their money. Either way though it doesnt seem like something they'd do tbh anyway.

Speaking of kinda funny and studios I saw greg miller tweet they are getting a studio soon. So it took them 2 years(?) to get out of their front room. EZA are only like 4 months old, sometimes I forget how new they are. Huber will probably be ruling his own Viking village by the time they hit year 2.

If people send Huber more weapons, I think it's going to be a lot sooner....

cm osi

i think thatthe "hardcore" fanbase was there day one and we're doing our job, but to get the "casual" fanbase it's up to them doing, i don't know, collaboration with other groups, a little of "marketing". that said, we're only at month 5 i think?
the studio woul be nice indeed, that would also mean the trailer reviews will be back, and lots of more content

btw is their first stream ever (the one where they were watching their patreon subscriptions) up on the channel?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
so what is bosman's long-term tetris plan? the way he is playing, he will probably crawl past 400k at some point with a good run, but that rivers and lakes business is not going to cut it if he wants to get to 450k and above. he needs way more high level tetrises, and he doesn't seem to have that in him. as he joked, patient bosman is missing the tetris gene.

Hasney

so what is bosman's long-term tetris plan? the way he is playing, he will probably crawl past 400k at some point with a good run, but that rivers and lakes business is not going to cut it if he wants to get to 450k and above. he needs way more high level tetrises, and he doesn't seem to have that in him. as he joked, patient bosman is missing the tetris gene.

Keep going until he does it. Fine by me, means we get more streams!

ElTorro

He just needs to stop clogging the well, embrace the Goldblum, and tell dolphin stories while playing to game to keep himself from overthinking.

cm osi

He just needs to stop clogging the well, embrace the Goldblum, and tell dolphin stories while playing to game to keep himself from overthinking.

i'm amazed at how well he can play while having to go on with a nosensical story about starbucks sippers and dolphins. the music on the background was spot on too

Tankard

Man, i'm travelling and will have to catch up with a lot of stuff.
Another great BvW week, and yet another heartbreaker in the end, come on Bosman, you gotta be doing that on purpose now.

Happy to say i broke 250k on Tets for the first time.

mhZNISM.png

I don't believe Kyle did it on purpose, but he was only on (I believe) level 17

The mistake was rough but I think he could've at least gotten one more measly line

randomkid

this is what the screen looked like exactly when bosman says "oh no, that's the end of the run"

LuWrrav.png

conscious or not, bosman always knows how to produce the funniest result

this is what the screen looked like exactly when bosman says "oh no, that's the end of the run"

http://i.imgur.com/LuWrrav.png?1[/img

conscious or not, bosman always knows how to produce the funniest result[/QUOTE]
Yea I had the same thought live. I was like..but you can still scramble past 400k!

Yeah, I really think a second Patreon would be a good move too, especially since it'd let them bring in a few more of the guys full-time. I'd probably wait until EZA is a bit older beforehand though, like on the one year anniversary next year or something.

I know Bosman has his reservations about doing a weekly show for Patreon but I think that would be the ideal $30k or $35k tier for a second Patreon campaign. It's the one old GT show they don't have anymore and Bosman's superfans are crazy, so I think it'd be a success pretty quickly.

Lexad

Yeah, I really think a second Patreon would be a good move too, especially since it'd let them bring in a few more of the guys full-time. I'd probably wait until EZA is a bit older beforehand though, like on the one year anniversary next year or something.

I know Bosman has his reservations about doing a weekly show for Patreon but I think that would be the ideal $30k or $35k tier for a second Patreon campaign. It's the one old GT show they don't have anymore and Bosman's superfans are crazy, so I think it'd be a success pretty quickly.

If Brandon were able to convince Bosman to do a weekly (or even bi-weekly) Bosman show, they would probably get an extra 10-20k.

Hasney

Bit of a troll responding to comments asking him to talk about games again?

Ya think? He's talking about video games in alphabetical order. I should turn this off, but I can't. It's too good.

People will always whine, last weeks episode was great. Obviously Susan.

dickroach

Ya think? He's talking about video games in alphabetical order. I should turn this off, but I can't. It's too good.

it's honestly not bad to listen to as audio, but EZU had been such a visual show, so this does seem kinda troll-y (edit: it's definitely troll. 3 minutes or whatever at the end). was doing something LIKE ManUps that jarring? he did that Kill Your Babies v2 ep. that was so tight.

ArjanN

I dare him to do this weekly! I actually enjoyed it.

This was like every game he played in the last couple of years, how would he do this weekly?

I know this was a semi-troll, but I thought this was actually pretty informative.

That said the way he plays games seems kind of half-hearted and frustrating, where you play <1 hour of everything and never really finish or master anything.

Auctopus

Was hesitant from what I heard about the NMS rant but Jones absolutely nailed it. Was he talking about a specific outlet at one point? It felt like he was.

Went a little far at the end when he said he was indebted to Murray, haha :S

Ultimadrago

I'm with Ian, I am having this feeling in my belly that FFXV will suck. Not as bad as FFXIII(-2), but close. Closer than I'd like.

Hope I'm wrong!

brawly

Was hesitant from what I heard about the NMS rant but Jones absolutely nailed it. Was he talking about a specific outlet at one point? It felt like he was.

Well yeah, he was talking about that one site that reviewed it early and unpatched. Playstation-something.

Ultimadrago

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying Ian droning on about games back-to-back. I'm almost done with the Easy Update! I wasn't thinking I'd even watch a little of it. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom