• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Chiggs

Gold Member
Managed to take down both Godskin Noble and Rykard today. The former required me to jump twenty levels before I was able to beat him, and the latter seemed goddamn near impossible until I watched some YouTube videos. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

Macattk15

96 hours. 88% achievements on my first playthrough. I missed some legendary armaments and I am assuming other endings make up for the rest of the achievements.

Absolutely loved this game. Will play through several times, but obviously not take as long.

My Mimic Tear and I destroyed Malenia in one try having watched 0 videos and going into the fight blind. Just BUMRUSHED her with the Mimic and backed off when it looked like something crazy was incoming.

Did not expect.

10/10 Game of Decade for me.

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
Started elden ring after finishing horizon.

I will say this: the game in PC stutters on Rtx 3080 and doesn't support widescreen. This sucks.

That being said the game clearly shows again that art>>>>>>tech. Horizon looks mind-blowing on close-ups, cutscenes, screenshots.. its tech when ported to PC in a year or 2 will be state of the art. But it's so unmemorable, so busy - every space has so much going on that the end result is less than the sum of its parts. The truth is that every copy-pasted ruin in starting area of elden ring has more character than the most detailed settlement in Horizon.

I know it sucks for the team at guerilla who spent years on tech and textures and skin shaders. But the game where the textures are straight from early 2000s and NPCs still forget to move their lips half the time still feels more alive. That entrance to Stormveil castle had no match in Horizon. Horizon sacrifices so much for close-up detail that it has limited fov and draw distance.

Also: wind physics always make the game better.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I upgraded my katana to level 11 and now I kill everyone at one shot. Is this the so called easy difficulty? Dex: 30, str 18.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Just finished the game. The last boss and its second fase can go to hell. Took me almost 30 tries to finish.

I got all of the bosses trophies. The item trophies I won’t touch, will take me way too long I think.. I’m definitely doing new game+ for a different ending path.

Amazing game. I don’t rate games 10/10 quick, but this one is definitely that. There’s so much nice content. The world is huge, but also dense with stuff to see. I’ve never played an open world like this.
you can save scum the ending if you're very thorough with sidequests and have them all set up after beating the final boss (I've had 4 out of 6 before the end of Azula), 3 of them count as trophies.
Only 2 legendary items are missable but they count if other summoned players drop them for you.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I've been summoned to over 100 other worlds to help with Malenia. Not a single victory yet lol

She might be even harder with 3 people with that huge boost to health.

3 people team seems like a bad idea in general.

Even Renalla who is a total pushover gets a crazy HP boost with 3 people. It's perfectly doable with two people, but with three things get crazy unless the host knows what they're doing.

Hinedorf

Banned
Asking for any spoiler free suggestions on finishing the game on a first run.... I'm 100+ hours in and I know there's still so much I've missed or haven't completed, my character is almost level capped and I've finished the Fire Giant but don't want to proceed until I've cleaned up all side quests. From a bit of reading I get the impression not all side quests can be done on a single run but I'm in the process of finishing Ranni's.

Is there any suggestions on folks who've finished the game can give on more important side quests to complete prior? I assume I'll be doing a new game + which is a rarity for me but this game has a lot of meat on the bone.

Cyberpunkd

3 people team seems like a bad idea in general.
Agreed, should always go with 1 summon only.
Did some minor dungeons, but also killed two world tree avatars, so that’s cool. The one in Caelid was nasty AF.
So far if I remember to put on Barricade Shield I can outrank and outlast anyone.

after spending most the morning doing math on stats/caps, I decided to respec. staying pure dex, just did some fine tuning:

2AUMgkN.jpg

was mostly looking to optimize my build for PVP. I figure anything optimized for PVP should work in PVE as well, might just not as efficiently.

cranked my vigor and dex a lot. dropped mind as I found myself always having plenty of FP. dropped endurance significantly. I use mostly the lightest armors in the game because they look the best to me. I'll use the turtle talisman if I run into stamina problems, and can also increase it as I go. seems the pvp meta is level 150, so I have quite a bit of room to raise it.

raised str to 16 so I can use hand of melania without soreseal.

I also found my new favorite set of armor! I know I say this almost every day, but I had no idea this really existed, going to spoiler it in case people don't want the surprise ruined:

jWkyhs6.jpg

it's a white version of the starting samurai set. pairing it with Okina mask for the added dex boost.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
About 50 hours in now. Level 53 or 54. Cleared out Raya Lucaria, Caria Manor, some dungeons, all of the Evergoals found so far. I also stumbled upon a quest chain by finding a hidden boss in a dungeon. Made some significant progress there and found the 3 sisters area.

I have a new key for the Belfries as well. Not sure yet which one I'll take (already did one previously).

Outside of that, I think I have almost everything in Liurnia done that can be accessed. main quest wants me to take a lift (need the other half of the pendant still). So Called is most likely my next area. I've got that one uncovered mostly but hardly explored.

I should really just take a week off of work to get through the rest of the game. I feel like at this pace, I won't be done until of April.

I do think this will be my favorite game of all time once credits roll. It's so rewarding to play.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Just beat the game with first character. Chose the Ranni ending.

The Elden Beast fight can be a bit annoying when there's so many effects on screen.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I just beat Fire Giant his first phase isn’t bad but his second phase, I don’t know where to hit him, he roles around a lot and just fire everywhere.

This Dragon Kin boss in the Ainsel River can fuck right off, it feels so cheap to fight the 2nd phase
Is he the one with gold armour and does lot of electric attacks? I think I beat him when I was around level 26 or 30....but yeah that guy can be real pain.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So this weekend got through Caria Manor, was good to see Ranni again past that point, also just started exploring Atlas Plateau. This game is frigging huge!
I avoided Caria Manor thinking it would be tough but it was not so bad at all. Shorter than I expected as well. If I go through the game again, I'll probably prioritize it over Raya Lucaria first.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Fools idol

Banned
just found a boss down in the crystal caves that is.. literally.. a fucking crystal man. And he takes a grand total of 1 hp damage from any weapon I have, with a giant health bar.

What the fuck? am I missing something? even a backstab only does 10 hp damage

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
just found a boss down in the crystal caves that is.. literally.. a fucking crystal man. And he takes a grand total of 1 hp damage from any weapon I have, with a giant health bar.

I think you need to stun him and critical hit for proper damage to those guys.

Last edited:

You have to break his posture, putting him stun cracks him so he'll take normal damage.

SCB3

I just beat Fire Giant his first phase isn’t bad but his second phase, I don’t know where to hit him, he roles around a lot and just fire everywhere.

Is he the one with gold armour and does lot of electric attacks? I think I beat him when I was around level 26 or 30....but yeah that guy can be real pain.
Yea, its Frost Lightning as well, he is just relentless and you can get stuck on stuff around the room

I finally beat him though, but just a pain in the ass

Mossybrew

I avoided Caria Manor thinking it would be tough but it was not so bad at all. Shorter than I expected as well. If I go through the game again, I'll probably prioritize it over Raya Lucaria first.
Once you get past those fucking hands yeah it's not too tough. Easily the most annoying enemy I've encountered so far.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I'm in the Mt Gelmir now and my god this game is sooooo huge, it has a lot of content, you wouldnt believe but so far i played 108 hours (without counting the breaks)
I'm exploring it slow and its a lot of fun, what a game, i believe its a masterpiece so far.
Now im trying to play as much as i can to reach the ending, a lot of people are spoiling it for me, and everyone is talking about those late game fights and im excited to try them myself.
Sucks to rush but the gaming community cannot shut up and i always visit them daily.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
Anyone on Xbox Series X able to help me out with the red wolf? On one here to summon

VFXVeteran

Banned
The Magma Wyrm has got to be the cheesiest boss in all of DS universe. I literally took several HOURS trying to beat this fucker! His lava walk that trails lava behind him as he charges forward can NOT be avoided or countered if he boxes you in. Literally every single time he killed me it was because of this move. They should have lowered the time that his lava stays persistent. You can't even attack him when he's charging forward because his damn elbows will hit you. Even with my friend, I had to go it alone because my friend would get killed immediately because he didn't know his moves.

mekes

Got my bloody finger this evening and spent the night invading. There are so many dual wielders! I'd say at least 15 of the 20 or so invasions I did were against dual wield dex builds.

MastAndo

Try using a strike weapon, like a flail or a hammer. You'll find they do a lot more damage against enemies made of crystal or rock.

Reactions: Isa

Neolombax

Just beat Tree Sentinel last night at lvl 38. I was probably way overlevelled but I dont care, man it feels so damn good. The last time it felt this good was beating Blood Starved Beast. This game is amazing. Taking things slow to just explore, going into dungeons and fighting optional bosses. This is probably the longest Ive played any From Software game.

Where to farm runes as level 46? I'm about to enter Raya Lucaria and feel like I should be level 50.
Ainsel River, or more specifically Ainsel River Downstream. Enemies are slow af, and there's a room near the site of grace with dozens of them that you can farm easily, with zero risk.

Swift_Star

Banned
Só there was one of those puppet knights out of nowhere in an alcove in gelmir grave. How is this fair?

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

Banned
So I've been playing the game since launch and something that has been bothering me is that there seems to be a delay in the rolls in the game. I thought it was just me but then I started seeing more and more people complain about the same thing. Coming from DS3 and Sekiro which are super responsive this has reduced my enjoyment of the combat quite a bit. It has also forced me to rely more on shields when I used to not use them at all in previous FROM games. Does anyone know if they did it on purpose to nerf the rolls or is the game just flat out broken?

Example of what I am talking about:

Last edited:
Ran into a “ball bearing hunter” while doing some exploring in Caelid

I’m level 128 so I expected to smoke him with a few hits

Dude destroyed me, did not expect that all. Should have taken the fight more seriously. Super intrigued because based on his name, I’m guessing he drops some sort of bearing.

Had to log after I died but plan on going round 2 with him tonight. Definitely won’t underestimate him this time

iorek21

Just got the Plat, loved it, but it has some flaws.

Elden Ring nails exploration, atmosphere, combat, level design and everything that usually makes a great Souls game.
Bosses range from good to Bed of Chaos level of bad (most of them are mediocre, though); ER lacks that "learning movesets" that made FromSoft games so great. By the end of the main quest, I felt extremely tired of the same "anime attacks" boss archetype that I didn't even bother and just used Mimic Tear to help me. I'm sure people more capable than me will analyze and point out the design flaws in the bosses here from years to come.

Overall, it's an amazing experience and will get tons of awards at the end of the year. It's not perfect, just as Dark Souls 1 wasn't, and I hold that game dear to my heart.

I'd rate it a 10/10 despite hating the overall boss design.

I’m done for the day, just the regular souls/From bullshit in some endgame catacombs having to fight multiple huge enemies inside the dungeon in extremely small rooms. The camera just can’t handle it and goes haywire, its also great when your character gets stuck against the walls and any random piece of geometry that’s sticking out.

I don’t even care about the souls, I can farm them anytime I want at palace road or whatever it’s called. It’s just becoming a waste of my time, and thus my life. Watching the enemy spam the same move over and over in a confined area while they pivot 360 degrees and slide to wherever they need to be sure is “hard” but it’s also not fun.

Someone said something about hard but fair being over with this game and there are times in my playthrough so far that that’s been absolutely true. Feeling salty as fuck. The other souls games and even bloodborne never got me this angry. There’s just something a bit off about ER and it’s “difficulty”

The_hunter

Just got the Plat, loved it, but it has some flaws.

Elden Ring nails exploration, atmosphere, combat, level design and everything that usually makes a great Souls game.
Bosses range from good to Bed of Chaos level of bad (most of them are mediocre, though); ER lacks that "learning movesets" that made FromSoft games so great. By the end of the main quest, I felt extremely tired of the same "anime attacks" boss archetype that I didn't even bother and just used Mimic Tear to help me. I'm sure people more capable than me will analyze and point out the design flaws in the bosses here from years to come.

Overall, it's an amazing experience and will get tons of awards at the end of the year. It's not perfect, just as Dark Souls 1 wasn't, and I hold that game dear to my heart.

I'd rate it a 10/10 despite hating the overall boss design.
I have 70 hours played. I really like the game, I hope they can iron out the performance issues. I personally found the level design to be much more forgiving this time around, almost too easy compared to past souls titles. As a wizard I felt like I never had to use crafting, which was another shame. For the platinum, do they still have the trophies to get every sorcery, or is it only the legendary sorceries?

Last edited:

The_hunter

They're made of crystal, they can be hit only with 'strike' attacks, I found that mist also works if you are a Wizard.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ran into a “ball bearing hunter” while doing some exploring in Caelid

I’m level 128 so I expected to smoke him with a few hits

Dude destroyed me, did not expect that all. Should have taken the fight more seriously. Super intrigued because based on his name, I’m guessing he drops some sort of bearing.

Had to log after I died but plan on going round 2 with him tonight. Definitely won’t underestimate him this time

Guy's a dick, he's Elden Ring's version of the Pursuer (DS2 strikes again). Caught me a couple of times now as he has multiple spawn locations and he's not something you can easily handle at range.

Seems I have locked myself into a certain ending now, or maybe not... Be careful exploring blind under Leyndell, place is frickin crazy.

Doom85

Gold Member
Seems I have locked myself into a certain ending now, or maybe not... Be careful exploring blind under Leyndell, place is frickin crazy.

I’ve heard there’s only one ending you can actually lock yourself into, that it’s really obvious it’s the “bad“ route, and that even then there’s a way to backtrack out of it. But YMMV as obviously people are still figuring the mechanics all out.

Swift_Star

Banned
So I've been playing the game since launch and something that has been bothering me is that there seems to be a delay in the rolls in the game. I thought it was just me but then I started seeing more and more people complain about the same thing. Coming from DS3 and Sekiro which are super responsive this has reduced my enjoyment of the combat quite a bit. It has also forced me to rely more on shields when I used to not use them at all in previous FROM games. Does anyone know if they did it on purpose to nerf the rolls or is the game just flat out broken?

Example of what I am talking about:

This game has insane input lag, yes, and they even buffer moves. It’s pretty shitty.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Can't believe that after 140 hours the game still has those "hey, here's a new zone out of nowhere!" moments.

Btw, how are you finding the difficulty balancing? So far I haven't got many moment where I would feel overpowered, which is very nice since in most open world games I tend to feel like that when I'm nearing the end. I'm doing a STR/FTH build so maybe that's the reason.

Swift_Star

Banned
Can't believe that after 140 hours the game still has those "hey, here's a new zone out of nowhere!" moments.

Btw, how are you finding the difficulty balancing? So far I haven't got many moment where I would feel overpowered, which is very nice since in most open world games I tend to feel like that when I'm nearing the end. I'm doing a STR/FTH build so maybe that's the reason.
Mimic tear +10 makes me feel OP. And that’s a good thing. I want to wreck everything down. No more 20 tries to defeat bosses.

Top Bottom