• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Bartski

Gold Member
I’d say I’m pretty far into it. I just defeated the Fire Giant which was a pain in the ass. I’m sure I could’ve completed it a lot sooner but I’ve been going back to earlier locations, doing side quests/exploring areas I missed and that’s taking the most time. I still haven’t entirely explored the area where “that elevator” takes you, but I did defeat the optional boss there for a side quest. I’m just enjoying this at a leisurely pace, I don’t want it to end. I’ve also started helping other people with bosses in multiplayer which is a lot of fun and great for getting a bunch of runes.

100%'ing NG map took me over 230 hours.

But that includes figuring most side quests without looking things up, which is why I failed some.... tons of fucking around, getting lost, dying a lot... trying to beat this one boss underlevelled and failing for almost one whole night... getting summoned, some farming... and killing every optional boss in every dungeon and every field boss according to the Wiki that I started using by the very very end.

The game is absolutely MASSIVE.

Matchew

Just beat Radahn and slept in a coffin. Had to change my build to faith to beat Radahn, not sure how you do it as a melee character. The game is incredible, but it feels like I am playing a really good jrpg with fantastic world and combat, but shit story. Still think just a little more exposition would do wonders for the game.

Reactions: Isa

OsirisBlack

Banned
Welcome to probably the single best location in Souls history.
I don’t know man
Haligtree has been fucking ridiculous
Also I found a secret boss fight last night that changed my concept of what a boss fight should be. Both rewards so good I immediately used a walking bell to replicate it.

Just beat Radahn and slept in a coffin. Had to change my build to faith to beat Radahn, not sure how you do it as a melee character. The game is incredible, but it feels like I am playing a really good jrpg with fantastic world and combat, but shit story. Still think just a little more exposition would do wonders for the game.
how do you change your stats?

Bartski

Gold Member
Both rewards so good I immediately used a walking bell to replicate it.

Did all mausoleums work for you as they should? Those in Liurnia were missing options from my list and the last one you encounter up north bugged out completely, no prompt for duplicating when I got in first time.

This was the only real bug I've seen.

Graciaus

I’d say I’m pretty far into it. I just defeated the Fire Giant which was a pain in the ass. I’m sure I could’ve completed it a lot sooner but I’ve been going back to earlier locations, doing side quests/exploring areas I missed and that’s taking the most time. I still haven’t entirely explored the area where “that elevator” takes you, but I did defeat the optional boss there for a side quest. I’m just enjoying this at a leisurely pace, I don’t want it to end. I’ve also started helping other people with bosses in multiplayer which is a lot of fun and great for getting a bunch of runes.
It took me 80 hours to explore the entire map. But I was rushing toward the end.
how do you change your stats?
You have to go to and clear the academy.

Paulxo87

I am a quality build level 55 running bloodhound fang+5 but I really want to use spells now.. Perhaps do a hybrid build. Perhaps I can respec after i beat the boss in the academy(where I am now)

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
Did all mausoleums work for you as they should? Those in Liurnia were missing options from my list and the last one you encounter up north bugged out completely, no prompt for duplicating when I got in first time.

This was the only real bug I've seen.
Nope the one in consecrated snowfield didn’t work at all.

zkorejo

I am a quality build level 55 running bloodhound fang+5 but I really want to use spells now.. Perhaps do a hybrid build. Perhaps I can respec after i beat the boss in the academy(where I am now)
I'm a samurai with uchigatana +5 and I also want to use magic.. a hybrid . Idk how to go about it. If anyone responds to Paulxo87's, please guide me too. I don't want to waste runes.

Bartski

Gold Member
Nope the one in consecrated snowfield didn’t work at all.
Exactly. Also, getting summoned there in the nearby castle and dying makes the mausoleum come back alive when you respawn in your world, but dropping it again changes nothing to its bugged-out function. Hope they have it on the patch to-do list.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
On my second character, a wretch who is bleed + poison. OMG Margit is easy as fuck with this build. He went down in like 45 seconds.

Bartski

Gold Member
on the subject of bugs, there seem to be many occasions where performing certain actions during fights make enemy AI "crash" and stop attacking. I've seen it twice, I thought it's the ash of war I'm using but now those things get uncovered and made part of cheese strats... like you can just walk up to this one spot during the final boss fight and he completely switches off. Wild.

G-Bus

Banned
Really didn't see myself beating Godrick and I took him down last night. Spent an hour or two exploring Liurnia.

Made it to the Academy entrance and see I need a keystone. Message said to head west and came upon a dragon. Assuming need to kill it. Made 1 attempt last night before calling it. Don't think it will be too hard.

Can't wait to jump back in tonight.

I'm a samurai with uchigatana +5 and I also want to use magic.. a hybrid . Idk how to go about it. If anyone responds to Paulxo87's, please guide me too. I don't want to waste runes.
Assuming you went pure dex, you could spec into a viable magic build without a respec

I would personally probably go dex/int with the moonveil.

You would just need to start pumping int. This is assuming you don’t mind doing int over faith

Put some into mind too. I’m pure dex and I even pump mine since having more fp Is great

Last edited:
so I'm not really sure what stats I should be pumping as a pure dex build now that I'm in over level 120

it seems like I hit the soft cap for vigor, endurance, dex

I got mind to 30 which honestly feels like plenty

I would pump arcane since I use bleed, but it appears to be broken currently and doesn't really help with scaling

for reference I have I think around 60 dex, 50 endurance, 40 vigor, 30 mind

Majukun

took me a lot of level investment, but finally i can summon something powerful to take some aggro away from me vs bosses...hopefully it's gonna be worth it..otherwise more action points for sword arts

Really didn't see myself beating Godrick and I took him down last night. Spent an hour or two exploring Liurnia.

Made it to the Academy entrance and see I need a keystone. Message said to head west and came upon a dragon. Assuming need to kill it. Made 1 attempt last night before calling it. Don't think it will be too hard.

Can't wait to jump back in tonight.
about that dragon...
you can just sneak around him and grab the key. that's what I did because I found the dragon extremely difficult at the level I was at the time

Graciaus

so I'm not really sure what stats I should be pumping as a pure dex build now that I'm in over level 120

it seems like I hit the soft cap for vigor, endurance, dex

I got mind to 30 which honestly feels like plenty

I would pump arcane since I use bleed, but it appears to be broken currently and doesn't really help with scaling

for reference I have I think around 60 dex, 50 endurance, 40 vigor, 30 mind
I felt I had little gains leveling high. I ended at 155. Had 85 dex and 55 vigor. Anything after 80 does almost nothing. After that I just put it all into endurance until I stopped leveling.

I think, for the future, if they're going to continue with the idea of multi-enemy bosses, they should find out a way to have a camera system that accounts for this.

Easily solved by having the camera about 40% further back and making the arenas a bit less cluttered
I was thinking something like this or maybe putting them in an outside-type of location instead of in tiny rooms at the end of a dungeon.

I've rarely, if ever, seen anyone say their favorite souls bosses are the 3-for-1 bosses. It's usually the really well made 1v1 setups that get the most praise out of players.

• Thoughtful

slade

Rennala down. That was an easy fight. Toughest part was the summons in phase 2 but those go away after a little while. Aside from one or two minor bosses, this was the one fight I managed to do without dying. The Radagon Wolf was tougher. Took me a few deaths to learn how to avoid his three slash combo.

That feeling when you're exploring a castle, fighting okay, surviving, and then you turn a corner and a random Yusuke Urameshi mage hits you with a shotgun blast of magic.

yu-yu-hakusho-yusuke-urameshi.gif

• LOL

Majmun

Just finished the game. The last boss and its second fase can go to hell. Took me almost 30 tries to finish.

I got all of the bosses trophies. The item trophies I won’t touch, will take me way too long I think.. I’m definitely doing new game+ for a different ending path.

Amazing game. I don’t rate games 10/10 quick, but this one is definitely that. There’s so much nice content. The world is huge, but also dense with stuff to see. I’ve never played an open world like this.

SCB3

So I may have just fucked my build up from what I had, we'll see, but decided to change to a Dex/Mage build, I wasn't benefitting much from Strength outside of Equip load as I use a Uchi anyway so having some magic is gonna be nice

Thank my struggles with Demons Souls for that, magic is so OP there

Last edited:
Do we know if Dex or Arc has any effect on casting speed? Specially interested in casting speed of incantions.
Dex does
So I may have just fucked my build up from what I had, we'll see, but decided to change to a Dex/Mage build, I wasn't benefitting much from Strength outside of Equip load as I use a Uchi anyway so having some magic is gonna be nice

Thank my struggles with Demons Souls for that, magic is so OP there
you mean endurance? Equip load is tied to endurance in ER

Orbital2060

Does bleed scale with arcane or not? Im going for the duel River katana build
I would like to know for sure too, how it works. Have you read this by the way? Some folks in the comments contradicting each other saying it does scale with Arcane, and some saying it doesnt.

The only thing I can see, is that you if I choose Blood affinity when using the Bloody Slash ash of war, the rate of haemorrhage application goes up by 40-50 % from (45) to (65). Which means that you will get more blood losses over time on a boss fight, but unless your Arcane stat is equal or higher to your Dex it doesnt seem to be worth it. Then its better with a Keen affinity, and keep the (45) application rate. At least on my uchi the drop in normal damage seems too steep at 21 Arcane / 30 Dexterity. Thing is Im pretty sure the damage from the Bloody Slash skill has gone up with the Arcane skill, but that may also be because its governed by Dex which Ive been raising.

Regarding the Arcane stat, there is a Dragon Communion incantation seal stashed away in the Fringefolk Hero´s Grave dungeon, right at the start of the game. Which lets you use the Arcane stat instead of Faith stat to cast incantations. You still need to have the right Faith stat to use a particular spell but the cast scales from your Arcane stat - so if you have say 25 Faith and learned a spell that requires that, using this dragon seal will instead use your Arcane stat which can be much higher. It also scales to an S in Arcane.

2653b9c9-c518-4913-867ojpz.png

Just to say there is this (possible) synergy between the Arcane stat and Hemorrhaege/Bleed affinity , and also leveraging the Arcane to boost the Dragon Communion spells. I thought it was peculiar how its placed in the first dungeon you can enter. Or at least if you have the two keys for the imp stone.

Last edited:

SCB3

I believe they've changed soft caps a little bit for this game. It depends on the stat.

Nice, I did feel it needed to be tweaked or at least capped (or the game at least making it more obvious as I saw players pump up Vig in DS2 a lot and wondering why their HP was still bad)

Plantoid

To go with uchigatana try the bloodflame spells, requires 12fth/10arc gives a little fire DMG buff and increases bleed buildup

I strongly recommend going full melee on the first playthrough

The_hunter

There's a lot of berserk references
Ranni is Schierke, she had a mentor who is a witch in the woods.Obviously the wolf guy is Guts, ranni goes missing during the Radhan festival, maybe she fights in the spirit realm with the wolf guy like Schierke and Guts . There's a mercenary group, the band of the hawk in Nokron, all that is left of them are zombie husks.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've been summoned to over 100 other worlds to help with Malenia. Not a single victory yet lol

She might be even harder with 3 people with that huge boost to health.

Top Bottom