• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Doom85

Gold Member
Can't believe that after 140 hours the game still has those "hey, here's a new zone out of nowhere!" moments.

Btw, how are you finding the difficulty balancing? So far I haven't got many moment where I would feel overpowered, which is very nice since in most open world games I tend to feel like that when I'm nearing the end. I'm doing a STR/FTH build so maybe that's the reason.

It depends on where you go first. As I explored most of the east and did most of Ranni’s questline before getting back to the ”main path“ up north, I have been stomping most encounters for now. I’m sure it will even out eventually.
And I’m a STR build with a Grafted Blade Greatsword.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Mimic tear +10 makes me feel OP. And that’s a good thing. I want to wreck everything down. No more 20 tries to defeat bosses.
Yeah two chads is always better than one! I've been restricting myself from using spirits at all since it makes me feel like I'm on easy mode and I enjoy the challenge, but I'm glad you are having fun wrecking fuckers down.

It depends on where you go first. As I explored most of the east and did most of Ranni’s questline before getting back to the ”main path“ up north, I have been stomping most encounters for now. I’m sure it will even out eventually.
And I’m a STR build with a Grafted Blade Greatsword.
I did that too! I finished that sidequest before doing Mt. Gelmir and Leyndell, and still found some challenge on those areas, specially from some bosses. Never felt overpowered tho, except maybe some pushover miniboss in some catacomb/cave.

Last edited:
I've been messing around with PvP all day. respecd and been trying diff talisman combos.

decided to do a test and see what would happen if I threw the poise tear in my flask and combined it with the waterfowl dance

the results are...interesting to say the least. naked, my poise is so high the waterfowl dance can't seem to get interrupted.

decided to make a short video, because it's easier to show it in action.

I've yet to run into an attack that can stagger me once I get into the animation.

dmg output is also nuts given the talisman combo I'm running. pretty fun setup, although I'm not sure if it's bad manners to use the wondrous flask. I've noticed most people tend to use it, but yeah, feels a bit dirty.

edit: okay I guess technically I'm not naked as I'm wearing the Okina Mask. running around as a naked old man was too hard to pass up.

Last edited:
Has anyone with a Str based character actually beaten the final boss without summoning some cheesy ass magic cooperator?
Yeah I did with my trusty mimic. Was using a maxed out claymore as I love those things and that huge chunk of rock of a great shield which is the games version of the havel plus the heaviest armour I had.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I was trying to figure out if I was tough enough to move on the final boss. Testing world mini bosses. Fucking tree-guarding guy one shots me at level 44. "Well, shit on my balls. Time to grind".

Paltheos

Finally finished the last game I was playing so I can jump into Elden Ring!

Booted it up on my PC and... keyboard or XBox only button prompts available. Of course. I despise this obnoxious assumption on most modern PC games I play that I'm using the dumb XBox controller and have no alternative - From, you released this on PS consoles; you have the prompts and you have the toggle option already in-game. ... Fine. I look up mods, jump through all the hoops and... the anti-cheat flags my game. So I have to turn the anti-cheat off which means playing in offline only mode which is not how I want to play a Souls game.

Currently weighing which one of the two I want to give up. I can see someone jumping in and saying "it's not a big deal - you'll get used to the button prompts" but I'm a little sick of this atm because the last game I played did the same thing. Mostly whining here, if you couldn't tell.

DonJorginho

Banned
Was eaten up by that container looking mf with the spike wheels arms in the academy and ended up respawning halfway across the map in Volcano Manor

Confused Superbowl GIF by Republic Records

Last edited:
I deleted the game on ps5 due to how bad the stuttering is. I'm starting to think it's never getting fixed at this point. I don't want to have to replay/downgrade the visuals to get smooth performance either.

How does the game go from running well in the network test to what we have now? So bummed

I deleted the game on ps5 due to how bad the stuttering is. I'm starting to think it's never getting fixed at this point. I don't want to have to replay/downgrade the visuals to get smooth performance either.

How does the game go from running well in the network test to what we have now? So bummed
It's not that bad. But today I'm starting to get burned out on the game after 60 hours and downloaded the ps4 version to try that with a caster and it's just fine!

slade

Was eaten up by that container looking mf with the spike wheels arms in the academy and ended up respawning halfway across the map in Volcano Manor

Confused Superbowl GIF by Republic Records

Holy shit, that can happen? Is that the one at the bottom of that lift you have to ride up the school house?

Sometimes, these transports are the best way to get around the map and put you behind a really tough fight. I managed to find one in the Liurnia region that put me right by the grace point before the Glintstone Seal.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
So I've been playing the game since launch and something that has been bothering me is that there seems to be a delay in the rolls in the game. I thought it was just me but then I started seeing more and more people complain about the same thing. Coming from DS3 and Sekiro which are super responsive this has reduced my enjoyment of the combat quite a bit. It has also forced me to rely more on shields when I used to not use them at all in previous FROM games. Does anyone know if they did it on purpose to nerf the rolls or is the game just flat out broken?

Example of what I am talking about:

Bloodborne is more responsive.

Started elden ring after finishing horizon.

I will say this: the game in PC stutters on Rtx 3080 and doesn't support widescreen. This sucks.

That being said the game clearly shows again that art>>>>>>tech. Horizon looks mind-blowing on close-ups, cutscenes, screenshots.. its tech when ported to PC in a year or 2 will be state of the art. But it's so unmemorable, so busy - every space has so much going on that the end result is less than the sum of its parts. The truth is that every copy-pasted ruin in starting area of elden ring has more character than the most detailed settlement in Horizon.

I know it sucks for the team at guerilla who spent years on tech and textures and skin shaders. But the game where the textures are straight from early 2000s and NPCs still forget to move their lips half the time still feels more alive. That entrance to Stormveil castle had no match in Horizon. Horizon sacrifices so much for close-up detail that it has limited fov and draw distance.

Also: wind physics always make the game better.
I totally agree - bit unfair to horizon as it’s probably the best looking game artistically I’ve ever played.

Orbital2060

Just finished Horizon today so I’ve now bought this. Looking forward to diving in.
A heads-up for something that is easy to miss, but at the beginning of the game when you first enter the world there is a knight riding around on a horse. If you dont beat him before moving on you will have permanent 5 % debuff to your health pool for the rest of the game. He is not too tough though, just keep at it and you should be fine.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Started elden ring after finishing horizon.

I will say this: the game in PC stutters on Rtx 3080 and doesn't support widescreen. This sucks.

That being said the game clearly shows again that art>>>>>>tech. Horizon looks mind-blowing on close-ups, cutscenes, screenshots.. its tech when ported to PC in a year or 2 will be state of the art. But it's so unmemorable, so busy - every space has so much going on that the end result is less than the sum of its parts. The truth is that every copy-pasted ruin in starting area of elden ring has more character than the most detailed settlement in Horizon.

I know it sucks for the team at guerilla who spent years on tech and textures and skin shaders. But the game where the textures are straight from early 2000s and NPCs still forget to move their lips half the time still feels more alive. That entrance to Stormveil castle had no match in Horizon. Horizon sacrifices so much for close-up detail that it has limited fov and draw distance.

Also: wind physics always make the game better.

I agree, a lot of games nowadays focus way too much detail in an area close to the camera and then post process the heck out of the rest making games feel smaller than they should (it is an art style trend that permeates many western games, not just Sony games, it affects many many other ones too).

See the evolution from U1 to TLoU as an example:
UsvPyBQ.jpg

Last edited:

FunkMiller

A heads-up for something that is easy to miss, but at the beginning of the game when you first enter the world there is a knight riding around on a horse. If you dont beat him before moving on you will have permanent 5 % debuff to your health pool for the rest of the game. He is not too tough though, just keep at it and you should be fine.

Absolutely agree.

Boneless

I've been messing around with PvP all day. respecd and been trying diff talisman combos.

decided to do a test and see what would happen if I threw the poise tear in my flask and combined it with the waterfowl dance

the results are...interesting to say the least. naked, my poise is so high the waterfowl dance can't seem to get interrupted.

decided to make a short video, because it's easier to show it in action.

I've yet to run into an attack that can stagger me once I get into the animation.

dmg output is also nuts given the talisman combo I'm running. pretty fun setup, although I'm not sure if it's bad manners to use the wondrous flask. I've noticed most people tend to use it, but yeah, feels a bit dirty.

edit: okay I guess technically I'm not naked as I'm wearing the Okina Mask. running around as a naked old man was too hard to pass up.

I think it can be parried. I think the fact that pvp and so many builds are new everything feels and is classed as 'OP'.

Dr Bass

So considering this got a laugh response I’m wondering if this was a troll …

Already been killed by him btw. 🙂

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think I'm leaving Caelid for later, in the last hour or so:

• Failed at beating the Falling Star Beast
  • Been chased by Bloodborne beasts
  • Found the Dragon Church

A highlight of my time here:

I may come back much later, much later

Do you changed your katana into a blood katana when you used blood slash on it? Because i'm using the katana now and the bleed buildup is way slower than my blood rapier where i have bloodyslash.

Do you people with bleed builds use blood weapons or normal dex build?
(With blood weapon i mean where you can chose to transform a weapon into a blood tyoe with a bleed type ash if war like bloody slash)

Is the bleed number on the weapons thebuild up speed? And how blood scale? Is it really arcane?

Sorry but this is the first time that i try bleed.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Did anyone notice that

when you do the jumping exercise to get to the lone item you can jump back to the beginning by using the wall and hugging it mid-jump, otherwise you won't make it?

From trolls even with level geometry.

SCB3

Do you changed your katana into a blood katana when you used blood slash on it? Because i'm using the katana now and the bleed buildup is way slower than my blood rapier where i have bloodyslash.

Do you people with bleed builds use blood weapons or normal dex build?
(With blood weapon i mean where you can chose to transform a weapon into a blood tyoe with a bleed type ash if war like bloody slash)

Is the bleed number on the weapons thebuild up speed? And how blood scale? Is it really arcane?

Sorry but this is the first time that i try bleed.
No I kept it as standard so I can apply buffs to it such as Magic or Fire, it generally takes 6-8 hits to cause bleed

DonJorginho

Banned
Holy shit, that can happen? Is that the one at the bottom of that lift you have to ride up the school house?

Sometimes, these transports are the best way to get around the map and put you behind a really tough fight. I managed to find one in the Liurnia region that put me right by the grace point before the Glintstone Seal.
Yes man, I got sucked up by it and when the game loaded I was spawned above the lava river at Volcano Manor, was a long and hard journey to get into the manor from there but I ended up
finding somber smithing stones 6 and 7 which were the last ones I needed to upgrade my sword of night and flame to +9 so it all came out millhouse in the end!-

Orbital2060

No I kept it as standard so I can apply buffs to it such as Magic or Fire, it generally takes 6-8 hits to cause bleed
Im using Bloodflame buff on a Keen katana just fine

But it doesnt work with a Bleed affiinity, I guess they made sure you cant have the increased blood-loss buildup from both sources.

Not sure about the other affinities, but Keen and Bleed are the two most obvious choices for a Dex katana user.

slade

Yes man, I got sucked up by it and when the game loaded I was spawned above the lava river at Volcano Manor, was a long and hard journey to get into the manor from there but I ended up
finding somber smithing stones 6 and 7 which were the last ones I needed to upgrade my sword of night and flame to +9 so it all came out millhouse in the end!-

Awesome, I need those exact same ones for my Bloodhound Fang. Will try this at some point.

DonJorginho

Banned
Awesome, I need those exact same ones for my Bloodhound Fang. Will try this at some point.
If you need to know where they are DM me and I'll send you a guide that I found post discovery that does a great job explaining where to get them, not too tricky either.

DonJorginho

Banned
I cheesed the Draconic Tree Sentinel and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

So many times I whittled this fucker down to near zero health just for his final phase lightning attack to one shot me with me unable to avoid it (likely due to my own level of skill aha)

Mr Moose

Well shit, I know where I am going next.

GymWolf

Gold Member
My blood rapier does bleed in like half hits?? Why? Because i transformed the weapon into a blood weapon?

Except for bosses, i think that i didn't make a single normal enemy bleed with the uchi...they die before reaching the bleed status...
Why do people like uchigatanas? The moveset is not even that good or super fast...and that unsheathe thing does way less damage than a bloodyslash while consuming more PA.

Tbf my build is not specced for katanas or bleed because i wanted to tried bleed before wasting a respecc item.

And what is that bleed number on weapons like 55 or 40? How fast bleed build up?

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Well shit, I know where I am going next.
Did my research and it seems I really maxed out on my luck for that, I lost a few souls to the enemy that brought me there but it turns out that
this is one of if not the only easyish way you can get Somber Smithing Stone 7 that don't require bellbearings or need you to be at late/endgame

Last edited:

Graciaus

Booted it up on my PC and... keyboard or XBox only button prompts available. Of course. I despise this obnoxious assumption on most modern PC games I play that I'm using the dumb XBox controller and have no alternative - From, you released this on PS consoles; you have the prompts and you have the toggle option already in-game. ... Fine. I look up mods, jump through all the hoops and... the anti-cheat flags my game. So I have to turn the anti-cheat off which means playing in offline only mode which is not how I want to play a Souls game.

Currently weighing which one of the two I want to give up. I can see someone jumping in and saying "it's not a big deal - you'll get used to the button prompts" but I'm a little sick of this atm because the last game I played did the same thing. Mostly whining here, if you couldn't tell.
Xbox is the standard controller on PC. It's not a dumb assumption. It's up to the developers for native support and most don't.

If you want to miss out on the GOTY over buttons you do you.

Orbital2060

My blood rapier does bleed in like half hits?? Why? Because i transformed the weapon into a blood weapon?

Except for bosses, i think that i didn't make a single normal enemy bleed with the uchi...they die before reaching the bleed status...
Why do people like uchigatanas? The moveset is not even that good or super fast...and that unsheathe thing does way less damage than a bloodyslash while consuming more PA.

Tbf my build is not specced for katanas or bleed because i wanted to tried bleed before wasting a respecc item.

And what is that bleed number on weapons like 55 or 40? How fast bleed build up?
I think what youre seeing with a blood affinity rapier is the higher rate of build up of hemorrhage. Its 45 per hit on standard or keen and 65 when in blood affinity. But the weapons normal damage has likely been nerfed if you look at the options at the smiths.

Bartski

Gold Member

Dual wield hookclaws are great for bleed. I never used them in Dark Souls but here they were my main weapon between Stormvale and late Liurnia.

Boneless

Prompts can be changed to mouse/keyboard via the menu. If you weren't able to figure this out then this game is not for you, I suggest a refund.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
the adventure feeling you get when you reach the upper north east part of the map and see the scale of the game open up is one of the best moments in any fromsoft game imho.

Ulysses 31

The Magma Wyrm has got to be the cheesiest boss in all of DS universe. I literally took several HOURS trying to beat this fucker! His lava walk that trails lava behind him as he charges forward can NOT be avoided or countered if he boxes you in. Literally every single time he killed me it was because of this move. They should have lowered the time that his lava stays persistent. You can't even attack him when he's charging forward because his damn elbows will hit you. Even with my friend, I had to go it alone because my friend would get killed immediately because he didn't know his moves.
He ain't got nothing on Malenia IMO, that boss has some insanely cheese moves to wear you down and she heals when she hits you and she has 2 healthbars.

slade

If you need to know where they are DM me and I'll send you a guide that I found post discovery that does a great job explaining where to get them, not too tricky either.

Nah, its okay. Just the heads up about the teleport was okay. I was killed by the one with the pendulum arms up top and when it pulled me in, I died. So when it came time to fight the one with the wheel hands, I never let it grab me.

Anyway, I'll either figure out the rest or I won't and will consult a guide later.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think what youre seeing with a blood affinity rapier is the higher rate of build up of hemorrhage. Its 45 per hit on standard or keen and 65 when in blood affinity. But the weapons normal damage has likely been nerfed if you look at the options at the smiths.
Yeah it does less melee damage with blood affinity but the build up is way faster and that's how you do the big damage (i think).

Dual wield hookclaws are great for bleed. I never used them in Dark Souls but here they were my main weapon between Stormvale and late Liurnia.
I don't like dual weilding but thanks for the heads up.

Tomeru

Just platinumed the game, but man oh man,
that elden beast fight was exhausting. Im dualwielding short swords, and I spent most of the "fight" either chasing that pokemon dragon around, or dodging those god aweful annoying attacks. Pretty anti climatic experience. Worst boss ever imho.

Still goat.

SCB3

Oh I'm talking bosses and bigger enemies, smaller enemies are 2-3 hits generally

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Just platinumed the game, but man oh man,
that elden beast fight was exhausting. Im dualwielding short swords, and I spent most of the "fight" either chasing that pokemon dragon around, or dodging those god aweful annoying attacks. Pretty anti climatic experience. Worst boss ever imho.

Still goat.
100% agree, was speaking about this earlier. It's horrible and IMO the single biggest letdown of the whole game. Whoever thought its a good idea rather than a doing a badass Radagon 2nd phase follow up to the AMAZING, just perfect 1st, beats me.

Last edited:
cleared Stormveil!

completely missed the underground area :messenger_tears_of_joy: so went down there and kicked the bosses ass and got a golden seed so i'm at 7 health charges and 2 fp charges now! also went and beat up Godrick. took me 2 attempts. first time i went in with my uchigatana and got him to the 2nd phase. went back in with my bloodhound fang and buffed up. i was quite close to dying but managed it.

it was a beautiful sight when i got outside but not one i hadn't seen before. when i first arrived at stormhill shack site of grace, about 20 or so hours ago, instead of going up to the castle i went around it and got as far as Lake Facing Cliff site of grace right next to the exist of Stormveil. That was the point that I was taken to Roundtable Hold so I never went back plus i had some idea that i wasn't meant to be there yet lol. I'm curious how far I could've got without fighting Godrick? Surely Stormveil isn't optional?

It feels good to finally have got past the starting area map and through Stormveil. Now I'm resting at the Lake Facing Cliff site of grace and have a shit load more of map to go explore! :D I feel like this is the game about to really start and everything so far has been a warm up :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom