• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think I'm leaving Caelid for later, in the last hour or so:

• Failed at beating the Falling Star Beast
  • Been chased by Bloodborne beasts
  • Found the Dragon Church

A highlight of my time here:

I may come back much later, much later

yeah that place is mid game :p

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is rest mode on PS5 completely unusable with this game for everyone? I'm not talking about that save bug, but about the fact that if you go into rest mode with the game running you lose online connection the next time you start it, and it CANNOT be enabled again, just keeps failing. So you have to completely close down the game and start it again to keep playing, making rest mode useless.

(Yes, I know the game can still be played offline, but being online is a key part of the experience IMO.)

Why are FromSoft so incompetent?

Last edited:
got a new weapon that i really like. it's the bloodhound fang that Darriwil drops. i had some somber smithing stones so got it to +2. it was a bit heavy and caused me to slow roll but i unequiped my bow. i got a talisman that increases equip load so that lets me use the bow again.

my main weapons now are bastard sword +5, uchigatana +4, and now bloodhound fang +2.
Mid game!? I'm fucking close to 40 hours in
caelid + dragonbarrow are recommended level 60+

i don't think you should be going there until you're at least past the Academy.

here is the full map, recommended levels, and progress route:

game_progress_route_map_elden_ring_wiki_guide_2560px.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SCB3

got a new weapon that i really like. it's the bloodhound fang that Darriwil drops. i had some somber smithing stones so got it to +2. it was a bit heavy and caused me to slow roll but i unequiped my bow. i got a talisman that increases equip load so that lets me use the bow again.

my main weapons now are bastard sword +5, uchigatana +4, and now bloodhound fang +2.

caelid + dragonbarrow are recommended level 60+

i don't think you should be going there until you're at least past the Academy.

here is the full map, recommended levels, and progress route:

game_progress_route_map_elden_ring_wiki_guide_2560px.jpg
Ah I'm 47 and just past the Academy, been unlocking and doing stuff on the West of Luirmia instead, found the Ainsel River Elevator

Majukun

finished scraping stormveil castle..maybe something is still there but i think i got most if not all the stuff in there.
took me a while to understand how the game wanted me to get on the bridge and the relative tower

bloodhound fang gang represent

tumblr_ksczlyQbeU1qzx4k0o1_500.jpg

Last edited:
finished scraping stormveil castle..maybe something is still there but i think i got most if not all the stuff in there.
took me a while to understand how the game wanted me to get on the bridge and the relative tower
i'm just visited the castle. i don't know where i'm meant to be going. i went around the back and ended up on the roof and back at the main gate :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sentenza

bloodhound fang gang represent

tumblr_ksczlyQbeU1qzx4k0o1_500.jpg
This weapon is successfully carrying me to end game. With a dex build and +9 upgrade (that just turned into a +10 a couple of hours ago) goes up to 700 raw damage. And that's without the insane L2-R2 combo that cuts BIG CHUNKS out of bosses.

Mid game!? I'm fucking close to 40 hours in
This reminds me when I reached the capital and I was sure I was entering the final area of the game.
Ah, to be young and naive.

Last edited:

Majukun

i'm just visited the castle. i don't know where i'm meant to be going. i went around the back and ended up on the roof and back at the main gate :messenger_tears_of_joy:
if you are looking for the boss is to the north, near a grace place.
most straight line to it is just dropping in the front yard and going north, you will know it's the right place when you encounter some birds first and a sword giant afterward.

if it's the bridge you are looking for, you will need to force your way straight through the entire army guarding the front yard and then turn left near the castle gate to get to the bridge.
careful cause there's a lion guarding the entrance

SCB3

This weapon is successfully carrying me to end game. With a dex build and +9 upgrade (that just turned into a +10 a couple of hours ago) goes up to 700 raw damage. And that's without the insane L2-R2 combo that cuts BIG CHUNKS out of bosses.

This reminds me when I reached the capital and I was sure I was entering the final area of the game.
Ah, to be young and naive.
I've played enough Souls games to know a fake Anor Londo when I see it

Cyberpunkd

Cleared Caria manor, but might come back later since I saw some mobs on the rafters I never went to.
Boss was tough but doable. Now I’m stuck with waifu, there is some sort of a barrier around the tower, will figure it out later.

Swift_Star

Banned
Is rest mode on PS5 completely unusable with this game for everyone? I'm not talking about that save bug, but about the fact that if you go into rest mode with the game running you lose online connection the next time you start it, and it CANNOT be enabled again, just keeps failing. So you have to completely close down the game and start it again to keep playing, making rest mode useless.

(Yes, I know the game can still be played offline, but being online is a key part of the experience IMO.)

Why are FromSoft so incompetent?
That happens with all FS games and I’m guessing it also happens on Xbox with quick resume. It’s just how FS rolls.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That happens with all FS games and I’m guessing it also happens on Xbox with quick resume. It’s just how FS rolls.

I'm used to it kicking you out of the game to the main menu, but once there you are supposed to be able to reconnect. This does not work, which can't be intended since it asks if you want to do that. I have to fully close the game and restart it, and then I can connect again.

Last edited:

slade

you should definitely explore all of that area but Caelid/Siofra are meant to be left until later.

Yeah, looks like I won't be getting much further in Siofra. Got to the Hallowhorn grounds and decided to backtrack and pick up more smithing stones. Got my Bloodhound Fang to +5 for now.

Swift_Star

Banned
I'm used to it kicking you out of the game to the main menu, but once there you are supposed to be able to reconnect. This does not work, which can't be intended since it asks if you want to do that. I have to fully close the game and restart it, and then I can connect again.
Are you sure? What I do is exactly that. I exit to main menu, put in rest mode. I can always reconnect from the main menu. That was never an issue to me.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Are you sure? What I do is exactly that. I exit to main menu, put in rest mode. I can always reconnect from the main menu. That was never an issue to me.

For me that's completely broken. Although I think on those occasions I have entered rest mode without first quitting to main menu, maybe that's the difference.

Ar¢tos

Did Mimic Tear boss fight last night on my 2nd char. Summoned 2 guys, removed every piece of equipment and consumables, entered boss Gate and sat down watching them going all-in on the boss. Next char I'll do it again but with an Ash summon.

i feel like i've got through most of Stormveil Castle now but i have a feeling there's something I'm missing. killed the crucible knight (cheesed it though with arrows/bombs lol). i got the bridge with the big golems and transported to the tower but i can't get in. killed the little kitty cat boss just before the bridge. found a boss gate...

i can't think of any place i've not been yet but not sure i've cleared everything.

edit: now i think of it there was a fog gate i couldn't get into. couldn't see any imp statues.

Last edited by a moderator:

SLB1904

Banned
It's still blows mind how many content this game has. Other developers take 2 billion years. Granted they graphics team is shit but damn

SCB3

It's still blows mind how many content this game has. Other developers take 2 billion years. Granted they graphics team is shit but damn
To be fair, a lot of this is reused stuff from the Original Demons Souls, especially the AI

Still a special game, I'm really enjoying this, its gonna take a lot for it not to be my GotY so far

To be fair, a lot of this is reused stuff from the Original Demons Souls, especially the AI

Still a special game, I'm really enjoying this, its gonna take a lot for it not to be my GotY so far
not played demons souls but this could easily be Dark Souls 4. i'm not complaining cause i'm having so much fun but yeah a lot of stuff is reused. it's basically open world dark souls with a new name and slightly different lore (as far as i can tell).

Art team is god tier. Graphics are perfectly passable imo. You could collect hundreds of cherry picked screenshots and make it look killer tho. A truly ugly game would not be able to do that.

It's gonna be so hard to go back to other games though. I'll tell ya that. The wonderment factor is through the roof and in another league. For example; everyone reading this can imagine, play and experience everything FarCry 7 has to offer in less than 90 seconds. Don't believe me? Try. I just conjured and experienced the entire game in 45 seconds. 5.5/10 it was decent.

Last edited:
Reached 103 hours yesterday evening. Not even close to finishing and I couldn’t be happier about that.

GJjmHmP.jpg
how far are you?

i was just looking at my steam play time. i'm at 28 hours with elden ring (lvl 45). my most played From Software game (single playthrough) is 48 hours with Sekiro. I know there is no way I'm finishing the game in 20 hours. I'm not complaining but there is definitely no end in sight. I still feel like I'm at the start of the game lol. I'm only at Stormveil Castle. I think I've got most of it done but I know there is a shit load more map to go after this.

Bartski

Gold Member
not played demons souls but this could easily be Dark Souls 4. i'm not complaining cause i'm having so much fun but yeah a lot of stuff is reused. it's basically open world dark souls with a new name and slightly different lore (as far as i can tell).
it totally is, I was surprised how much of DS is in there. We're not talking about re-used animations but items, spells, weapons, shields or enemy models. I'd be slightly concerned hearing about it before release but then while actually playing the game I was so happy every time I found an incantation straight out of DS I immediately knew how to use (posion cloud cheese...). As a fan of the series this didn't harm the game at all IMO, quite on the contrary. The joy of finally finding Moonlight Greatsword was real.

Last edited:

WoodyStare

how far are you?

i was just looking at my steam play time. i'm at 28 hours with elden ring (lvl 45). my most played From Software game (single playthrough) is 48 hours with Sekiro. I know there is no way I'm finishing the game in 20 hours. I'm not complaining but there is definitely no end in sight. I still feel like I'm at the start of the game lol. I'm only at Stormveil Castle. I think I've got most of it done but I know there is a shit load more map to go after this.
I’d say I’m pretty far into it. I just defeated the Fire Giant which was a pain in the ass. I’m sure I could’ve completed it a lot sooner but I’ve been going back to earlier locations, doing side quests/exploring areas I missed and that’s taking the most time. I still haven’t entirely explored the area where “that elevator” takes you, but I did defeat the optional boss there for a side quest. I’m just enjoying this at a leisurely pace, I don’t want it to end. I’ve also started helping other people with bosses in multiplayer which is a lot of fun and great for getting a bunch of runes.

Last edited:
I'm just taken aback by the sheer amount of unmarked places (after discovering the region map) that hold interesting loot or finds. It's both exciting and rewarding to see a structure while wandering, check it out and walk away with a cool weapon or trinket.

Top Bottom