• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Dude, I forgot how bad the controller battery is on the DS5. I guess I'm done for tonight since I forgot the cable at home. I just charged it yesterday. Also, the constant prompt to get PS+ every time I start the game needs to go. I am not missing all the messages every where so no chance I'm paying $10 to reactivate them.

Bartski

Gold Member
They need to patch it so parrying is actually useful. It seems erratic to make it work, and even when it does work it doesn't seem to do much of shit.

parry windows:

qsnofkl6vzk81.png

I wish they increased it for daggers, I hate the buckler but this way it's so damn hard to do it's just way too risky for me.

FunkMiller

87 hours down, and just beat
Malekith
after about fifteen tries.

Having explored pretty much every single area, and uncovering almost everything, I know I‘m close to the end, and am slowing down a lot going thru the last section.

Dont want it to end

Family Time Reaction GIF by Lifetime

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
They should make smithing stones a baseline commodity that can be farmed anywhere (no ranks). Their current setup regarding item upgrades feels like it was designed by a retard who was hit over the head then had a magic spell of retardation cast upon them, at which point they got infected by retard poison, died, and resssurected as a retard.

Just fucking consolidate the requirements. Not hard.

Last edited:

GHG

It'll probably be next seeing as it does way more damage than SONAF does on PvP and that's just been nerfed to shit.

People expected moonveil to be nerfed this patch and it miraculously survived so it's a dead cert for next patch.

Moonveil is nerfed as well according to reddit.

BabyYoda

Banned
I love the game a lot, one of my favorite games in recent memory.
But holy hell I hate how I feel like I can't play a female character...
There's virtually no difference between '' body type A and B '' with gear, the gear looks like it's all tailor-made for the male character and then copy pasted to the female character.
In past Souls games at least I remember the proportions being a bit different and actually make them visually distinct.

In Elden Ring I feel like the game is forcing me to play a male character basically.
I think it's a minor issue, almost every game forces me to play as a female nowadays, at least you can technically choose in this game.

It seems that diversity for most western developers means less white men and I'm sick of it, it's their loss, I just buy games that give me said choice.

tassletine

Dude, I forgot how bad the controller battery is on the DS5. I guess I'm done for tonight since I forgot the cable at home. I just charged it yesterday. Also, the constant prompt to get PS+ every time I start the game needs to go. I am not missing all the messages every where so no chance I'm paying $10 to reactivate them.
Go into the options in game and disable online at startup.

Nerfing shit on PVE is a bad move. Buff everything not viable like pure strength builds.
People been saying this for ages but no developer is going to develop 2 damage tables and 2 skill sets for PvE and PvP and balance them separately. When PvP douchefucks abuse something, it gets nerfed for everyone including PvE only players. A tale as old as time.

Supposedly the Moonveil has had the poise crush nerfed, so you can no longer break boss poise in like 2 shots of the weapon skill. Damage has not been changed though, as just whacking things with it was never OP. Mine still feels as strong as ever when smacking away at least.

FunkMiller

NGL, bit disappointed the climax has degenerated into pretty much what amounts to a
boss rush. Got through your man from Roundtable Hold, Godfrey and Radagon stage one not too bad, but frankly a bit bored with just one after the other.
I’ll come back to it tomorrow to finish up.

Finally beat the game last night at around Level 160, clocking in at over 130 hours. I'm a bit of a completionist so I spent quite a lot of time exploring to make sure I found everything before I finished the story. I referenced a map afterwards and I did a pretty good job - only missed a handful of caves.

But yeah, I had a great time with the game. It's easily the best Dark Souls yet, and I can't wait to see how they apply their experience w this game into Sekiro 2.

jadefire66

Nerfing shit on PVE is a bad move. Buff everything not viable like pure strength builds.

STR is very viable for PvE, I just finished a playthrough 2 days ago and it was surprisingly better than my DEX build with dual katanas. I had dual colossal hammers, using jump attacks only, buffing them with Royal Knight's Resolve whenever I had the opportunity (and Exalted Flesh in late game). Dealt massive DPS to bosses and would stagger some of the big ones after like 3 hits.

Last edited:
They need to patch it so parrying is actually useful. It seems erratic to make it work, and even when it does work it doesn't seem to do much of shit.
i can't figure out how to parry. i know what to do but can't get the timing right. seems like the window is too small. i ended up removing parry and do guard counters.

Keihart

I don't know if it'll help someone, but i kinda figured out that the roll button can be used kinda like negative edge.
The run takes a second or two to start and the roll doesn't come out until you release.

It helps to keep the button pressed a little longer and release on the correct timing when you feel the enemy is delaying the attack too much.

Keihart

i can't figure out how to parry. i know what to do but can't get the timing right. seems like the window is too small. i ended up removing parry and do guard counters.
Some enemies are hard to parry but on the other hand, succesfully parrying can make some bosses a joke so it makes sense that it's a little harder.

SJRB

Gold Member

You might have the wrong shield. Parry window is different for each shield. Buckler has the largest parry window, so give that one a try somewhere in Limgrave with low level enemies.

GermanZepp

ELDEN RING - Patch Notes Version 1.03

Major Changes Included in the Latest Update
Additional Elements Added
Added a function to record an icon and the name of an NPC on the map when you encounter that NPC.
Added NPC Jar-Bairn.
Added new quest phases for the following NPCs: Diallos/ Nepheli Loux/ Kenneth Haight/ Gatekeeper Gostoc.
Added some summonable NPCs in multiple situations.
Increased the number of patterns of objects player can imitate when using Mimic’s Veil.
Added night background music for some open field area.
Bug Fixed
Fixed a bug that prevented summoned NPCs from taking damage in some boss battles.
Fixed a bug that sometime prevented the player from obtaining item after boss battle.
Fixed a bug that causes dialogue to be skipped when talking to NPCs and using custom key configurations.
Fixed a bug that causes the player to freeze when riding.
Fixed a bug that causes arcane to scale incorrectly for some weapons.
In situation where the player cannot obtain more than 2 talisman pouches, added talisman pouch to Twin Maiden Husks shop line up.
Fixed a bug that prevented the user from warping to sites of grace from the map at the end of the game.
Fixed a bug that prevented the player from moving to the next area after the battle with the Fire Giant.
Fixed a bug which causes some weapons to have incorrect scaling after strengthening.
Fixed a bug which causes some weapons to not use stat scaling.
Fixed hang-ups in certain occasions.
Fixed a bug which incorrectly displays multiplayer area boundary when playing online.
Fixed a bug that allows player to activate Erdtree Greatshield’s weapon skill without absorbing an attack using a special combination of item and incantation.
Fixed a bug which causes Fire’s Deadly Sin incantation to have different effect.
Fixed a bug with the Ash of War, Determination and Royal Knight's Resolve, where the damage buff will also apply to other weapons without that skill.
Adjusted the visual effect of Unseen Form spell.
Deleted the Ragged armor set from the game which was mistakenly obtainable in previous patch.
Fixed a bug that causes some hostile NPCs to drop Furlcalling Finger Remedy.
Fixed a bug that causes incorrect sound effect to play in some situations.
Fixed a bug which causes visual animation and hitboxes to not be displayed correctly on some maps.
Fixed bugs which causes incorrect visual and behavior for some enemies.
Fixed a bug that causes incorrect stat parameter for some armor.
Text fixes.
Other performance improvement and bug fixes.
Balance Changes
Increased the drop rate of Smithing Stone for some enemies.
Added Smithing Stone to some early game shop line up.
Increased shield’s effectiveness.
Increased the damage for all offensive cracked pot items.
Increased the damage for the following items: Spark Aromatic/Poison Spraymist.
Increased the effect duration for the following items: Uplifting Aromatic/ Ironjar Aromatic.
Increased HP healing for Torrent when using the following items: Rowa Raisin/ Sweet Raisin/ Frozen Raisin
Reduced FP consumption and increased the damage of the following sorceries: Glintstone Cometshard/ Comet/ Night Comet
Increased the damage of the following sorceries: Gravity Well/ Collapsing Stars/ Crystal Barrage
Decreased FP consumption of the following sorceries: Star Shower/ Rock Blaster/ Gavel of Haima/ Founding Rain of Stars/ Stars of Ruin/Greatblade Phalanx/Magic Downpour/ Loretta’s Greatbow/ Loretta’s Mastery/ Carian Greatsword/ Carian Piercer/ Shard Spiral
Raised projectile speed and range of Great Glintstone Shard
Decreased Ash of War, Hoarfrost Stomp's damage and increase cast time.
Increased Ash of War, Bloody Slash's self-inflict damage while slightly lowering the damage and increasing the cast time.
Decreased weapon skill, Sword of Night and Flame’s damage.
Increased FP consumption and lower duration of Ash of War, Barricade Shield.
Changed FP consumption timing of Ash of War, Prelate’s Charge.
Decreased the damage of spirit summoned when using the item Mimic Tear Ash and changed the spirit’s behavior pattern.
Other enemy and weapon balance changes
The version number of this update shown at the lower right corner of the Title Screen will be as follows:

App Ver. 1.03
Regulation Ver. 1.03.1
Online play requires the player to apply this update.

We will continue to provide improvement update in the future so you can enjoy "ELDEN RING" more comfortably. Please stay tune for more news.

They nerfed de mimic ash. And i didn't even found it :messenger_expressionless:
EDIT: And decreased the damage of my current Night and Flame Sword. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:
You might have the wrong shield. Parry window is different for each shield. Buckler has the largest parry window, so give that one a try somewhere in Limgrave with low level enemies.
i have the one i started with as a vagabond :messenger_tears_of_joy: i think it's a heater shield. i got a new one (kite?) but can't find enough stones to upgrade it :messenger_persevering:

Swift_Star

Banned
Finished the game, final boss first phase was cool, second phase was boring af. Did the Ranni ending. Next time I’m playing as a caster. Fuck melee in this game.

I can joke about it but this is nice addition:

Added a function to record an icon and the name of an NPC on the map when you encounter that NPC.

I used bloody Slash a few times, but went with Sepukku instead with blood talisman. Then switched again for Malenia fight then switched completely to her weapon and moonveil.
Ya I noticed new markers on the map for shop keepers

Hestar69

new patching FUCKING SUCKS.. let people play the game they want to play..

How bout you fix the shitty performance of the game on consoles or the stuttering on PC cock suckers

edit:Just took out fire giant out of rage and yeah,Im gonna have to respec to a new weapon for sure.

Last edited:

partime

So where can I mine some good smithing stone (1)? I'm going through random caves but nothing's come up.

Last edited:

yamaci17

i only used a frost buildup infuse on my weapon for a bit of extra dmg but i dont know if you would consider that cheese or not

overall fight is not pleasant to look at but i was clutch towards the end with no flasks remained and my survival instincts were pumped to the max lmao

i will return to this fight once again. i want to study him and become better at him. i only beat him bcoz i was really tanky for him and that helped me take some quite a bit of punishment

decided to give maliketh another try with dodge oriented and double sword combat with less health (no great rune)

chugged all my flasks but managed to beat it. im sure i can improve upon it but for now that is enough for me and i can move on from this game (one day, when im more calm and wise, i will return to the melania. but now. i dont have the mental capacity rn)

funny enough, i struggled less compared to my full shield build. light dodge is amazingly good. medium dodge is cool and all but it was limiting my ability to dodge his long range blade projectile attack. once i got the hang of that, fight became easier

extra dmg output from two upgraded straight swords is no slouch either

my weapons

9wHuANE.jpg
t6IOxHf.jpg

their reach is short but i love 'em

Last edited:

Orpheum

Alright as a melee user. Fuck
Radahn
. This dude swings all over the place and shreds everything down like a lawnmower, chaining combos and switching animations seemingly in an instant and his homing projectiles kill me with one hit pretty much.

Yeah the scenery is nice and the dude looks pretty dope but sorry, he's definitely not fun to fight

Aesius

Radahn
. This dude swings all over the place and shreds everything down like a lawnmower, chaining combos and switching animations seemingly in an instant and his homing projectiles kill me with one hit pretty much.

Yeah the scenery is nice and the dude looks pretty dope but sorry, he's definitely not fun to fight
The key is to shorten the fight. Use the summons to keep him distracted and try to kill him as quickly as possible. Stay under him and wail away. The fight is easier on foot than on Torrent IMO.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Radahn

Is this the fight with the giant dude on a little horse? If so, you can ride around on your horse just summoning helpers over and over until he dies.

Top Bottom