• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Braag

Is this the fight with the giant dude on a little horse? If so, you can ride around on your horse just summoning helpers over and over until he dies.
Do note that he is much faster than you even while you are riding and he kills the summons super fast on his second phase and then rides you down.
That tactic works but if he aggros you, he will catch you and most likely one shot you.
I beat him using scarlet rot and then dodged and avoided his attacks until he died of the rot. Took me 8 or so tries but if you are purely melee build then you're not gonna have a fun time.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Elden Ring is still packed full of secrets, so here's our very own Dave Klein (aka DaveControl) with 10 more things you might now know about From Software's latest epic.

It's not unusual for From Software games to keep secrets hidden for years after their release. While Elden Ring may have just launched, the internet has come together to unpack its secrets, and it's got many of them. Luckily, our Soulsborne expert Dave Klein is here with another ten things you may not have found on your playthrough.

From hints at George RR Martin's involvement, what happens if you kill Melina, to why Gatekeeper Gostoc is such an asshole, we've got a number of cool things that we've stumbled across from playing Elden Ring. If Varre has left you puzzled, or you're wondering how to kick in Elden Ring, or just how to remove the debuff from Fia's huge, it's all here for you in the video above.

We awarded the game 10/10 in our Elden Ring review, with Tamoor Hussain calling it a masterpiece of open-world design that places exploration and player agency at the heart of the experience.

00:08 - George RR Martin Easter Egg
00:59 - What happens if you kill Melina in Elden Ring?
01:40 - Stormveil Castle's Gatekeeper Gostoc - The Secret Thief
02:58 - Varre, Lover of Roses
03:48 - Varre, Lover of Invaders
05:15 - Kicking in Elden Ring
05:48 - How to get rid of Fia’s Cursed Blessing
07:06 - Where to find Blaidd’s Mask
07:42 - How to progress the NPC Blackguard
08:19 - How to pause Elden Ring

Is this the fight with the giant dude on a little horse? If so, you can ride around on your horse just summoning helpers over and over until he dies.
Yeah, he's pretty easy. If you refuse to use summons I guess he's tough but the fight is designed around the summons. It felt like a MMO raid boss, I had a lot of fun with that fight.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Does Radahn's HP not scale with how many summons there are?
I dont think so those are NPC summons and I think that fight meant to fight with those NPCs because of the festival.

Took me 8 or so tries but if you are purely melee build then you're not gonna have a fun time.
I'm pure melee build with zero faith or magic whatsoever and I had tons of fun with that fights. The only type of fights I dont like are duo fights, getting projectiles or poison off screen is not fun.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Felled the Godskin Duo first try, motherfuckers didn't stood a chance. :lollipop_smirking:

Quite a cool bossfight. Reminded me of Orstein and Smough on how I was focusing on the slender dude while trying to keep the fatty behind those life saving pillars, which really helped with his roll attacks.

Loved it. I started the fight internally screaming in fear, but ended up doing it very well. My favorite part was when the fatty decided to make a weird posture to summon his friend, and just when he appears the music ramps up to let you know how fugged you are. Cool shit.

Danjin44

Felled the Godskin Duo first try, motherfuckers didn't stood a chance. :lollipop_smirking:

Quite a cool bossfight. Reminded me of Orstein and Smough on how I was focusing on the slender dude while trying to keep the fatty behind those life saving pillars, which really helped with his roll attacks.

Loved it. I started the fight internally screaming in fear, but ended up doing it very well. My favorite part was when the fatty decided to make a weird posture to summon his friend, and just when he appears the music ramps up to let you know how fugged you are. Cool shit.
What is your build!? I had such hard time with those guys, then again I fight those guys before Melania so most boss feel easy by comparison.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
What is your build!? I had such hard time with those guys, then again I fight those guys before Melania so most boss feel easy by comparison.
Yeah, after THAT one everything feels quite easy in comparison. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I was gonna put here a screenshot of my build... then I realized I'm playing the game in spanish so you might not get a lot from that. :goog_relieved:

So it goes like this:
Lvl 173
Vigor 45 (about 1500 hp)
Endurance 30 (about 150 rp)
Strength 83 (includes +5 from a talisman)
Faith 50 (includes +5 from a talisman)
Weapon Heavy Longsword +25, about 550 base damage, about 750 when I electrify it (which is everytime possible)
Phys damage res: 171/35
Fire damage res: 180/46 (includes +a lot from a +3 fire resistance talisman)
Poise 60
I'm wearing the Tree Sentinel armor and my trusty brass shield.

One thing I noticed during the fight is that they seemed to have less health than previous iterations of those dudes in other fights, but that just could be the lvl difference between now and then.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

So the game bugged for a friend, and he was able to kill Mohg, the lord of blood, waaay earlier than expected. According to him the boss just wouldn't move, and he was able to beat him quite easily. He plays on ps4.

Has this happened to any of you guys? I sure hope this doesn't happen to me.

R6Rider

Gold Member
So the game bugged for a friend, and he was able to kill Mohg, the lord of blood, waaay earlier than expected. According to him the boss just wouldn't move, and he was able to beat him quite easily. He plays on ps4.

Has this happened to any of you guys? I sure hope this doesn't happen to me.
Not sure about the boss glitching, but there is a really easy cheese spot you can get to and kill him without issue. I haven't done it myself, but involves jumping lol.

Astral Dog

Finally got to buy this game yesterday, i lost all progress (around 3 hours i think) because light went out!, not sure if the latest patch also had something to do with it, also its super annoying not knowing wich class to pick! was bandit, then samurai now on warrior, Samurai had good defense and offense but Warrior dual weapons are so fun

anyways biggest thing im noticing is how much FROM has improved technically, no im not talking about the graphics, framerate or the art(Souls 3 and Sekiro look prettier).

But Its the hit reactions, the animation, the combat, all feel good, and not all developers get this, for comparison Dark Souls 1 and 2 feel like total dogshit to play, even by 2010 standards. they were janky as hell, From latest game has polish, its worth mentioning and makes Elden Ring much more enjoyable.

Other than that its dark souls on open world, i wish their games were a bit more respectful to the players time when it comes to changing weapons/playstyles and upgrading them, but it is what it is, tons of gamers love that for some reason.

i have no idea how to use the horse call whistle, i want to place it on the pouch to use by pressing 🔺but don't find the option

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

R6Rider R6Rider didn't know that lol. Would have been useful since that mofo gave me lots of trouble.

Which btw... Is there any way to avoid his Nihil shit?

Finally got to buy this game yesterday, i lost all progress (around 3 hours i think) because light went out!, not sure if the latest patch also had something to do with it, also its super annoying not knowing wich class to pick! was bandit, then samurai now on warrior.

anyways biggest thing im noticing is how much FROM has improved technically, no im not talking about the graphics, framerate or the art(Souls 3 and Sekiro look prettier).

But Its the hit reactions, the animation, the combat, all feel good, and not all developers get this, for comparison Dark Souls 1 and 2 feel like total dogshit to play, even by 2010 standards. they were janky as hell, From latest game has polish, its worth mentioning and makes Elden Ring much more enjoyable.

Other than that its dark souls on open world, i wish their games were a bit more respectful to the players time when it comes to changing weapons/playstyles and upgrading them, but it is what it is, tons of gamers love that for some reason.

i have no idea how to use the horse call whistle, i want to place it on the pouch to use by pressing 🔺but don't find the option
The option for that is on your menu. Press whatever is start for you, open the menu, and go to the right side of the screen. Your pouch slots are there, right above the slots for the expressions and gestures.

Have fun with the game mate! You have a very long adventure ahead of you.

Last edited:

The_hunter

Finally got to buy this game yesterday, i lost all progress (around 3 hours i think) because light went out!, not sure if the latest patch also had something to do with it, also its super annoying not knowing wich class to pick! was bandit, then samurai now on warrior.

I don't like changing builds, weapons, too often, ruins the feeling of an rpg for me. I want to feel mastery in one aspect. Ends up feeling like skyrim, where you can be good at everything, and you lose depth.

To add items to the pouch, you have to do it from the pause screen itself, hover over it in the pause screen.

Last edited:

jadefire66

My entire build got nerfed into oblivion because pvp abusers. I hate it.

Actually it was so broken in PVE that I decided not to use it. It was fundamentally changing my gameplay from attacking bosses to "why bother attacking, just spam L2 lul". I'm really glad it got nerfed, I can turn it into a proper build now where the stomp is used to debuff bosses with Frostbite rather than a spammable nuke with low FP cost.

Biff

Anybody come across the neverending Network Access icon bug in PS5?

I can no longer rest at Sites of Grace. The network access icon (little elden ring logo in the top right corner) is constantly "breathing" (flashing on and off) no matter what I do. This is causing a game-breaking bug where I can no longer rest at any Sites of Grace. Pressing triangle to prompt the rest forces me into a black screen with a never-ending network access icon at the top-right (same icon I see during gameplay). The game just hangs here forever until I force close.

Has anyone else had this bug? Is there a fix?

SJRB

Gold Member
Okay wow, the jumpscare at the Chapel of Anticipation scared the fuck out of me, haha.

Kinda underwhelming there's nothing to do/find there besides fighting the boss [who is a total pushover at this point].

Playing one hour every evening makes it seem like this game is taking FOREVER. I barely make progress and it's kinda overstaying its welcome because of this. Not a slam on the game of course, but man I wish I could spend a couple of full days on this to at least finish it once.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I never said I was that good, and I didn’t ask for your opinion.

Really? Because when you were trying to tell everyone Margit was the hardest souls boss ever you were quick to point out how to beat every other souls boss. And we all proceeded to laugh.

And I don't believe anyone asked for your opinion on how you think every boss is impossible without being cheesed either.

watdaeff4

Anybody come across the neverending Network Access icon bug in PS5?

I can no longer rest at Sites of Grace. The network access icon (little elden ring logo in the top right corner) is constantly "breathing" (flashing on and off) no matter what I do. This is causing a game-breaking bug where I can no longer rest at any Sites of Grace. Pressing triangle to prompt the rest forces me into a black screen with a never-ending network access icon at the top-right (same icon I see during gameplay). The game just hangs here forever until I force close.

Has anyone else had this bug? Is there a fix?
Happened to me when the previous play session I had put my PS5 in rest mode while on the title screen.

Had to close the game out completely and reboot

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So the great rune descriptions are wrong right? They say something like "you can use a rune arc to give the great rune even greater benefits".

But the truth is the great runes do NOTHING by just equipping them right, you HAVE TO use an arc for them to have any effect?

Cyberpunkd

But the truth is the great runes do NOTHING by just equipping them right, you HAVE TO use an arc for them to have any effect?
Yes, however there are exceptions:

Renalla's rune does not need to be activated nor equiped, all it does is grants you the ability to respec.

Danjin44

I beat the real Godfrey, his second phase was interesting, the guys just love to fight bare hands.

currently fighting Radagon and Elden Beast.

Hestar69

Yeah this new patch is DOG SHIT.. Fuck from software

edit: just beat The Black Knife Tiche Ashes. took 15 tries. My magic does barely any damage,my sword does barley any damage..I really have to respec as my class is worthless now

Last edited:
I would say my biggest criticism of the game is the way the stupid waypoint markers work. they're so damn small and hard to see on the map. if I use 5 of them and forget to remove them, it takes me forever to find them again. and sometimes if you accidentally place it directly on top of a grace, trying to select it to remove it just results in you clicking on the grace
let's all pretend we knew that you just need to press triangle and square from the map to instantly warp to the HQ

wait, what?

I'm like 150 hours deep and still spend like 20 seconds dragging my cursor to the round table waypoint in the bottom left of the map

R6Rider

Gold Member
So I have several characters going now:
Sorcerery, bandit archer, and co-op fists (buddy going claws)

Also plan to do a Faith + Strength character and also a Greatshield character too.

Bartski

Gold Member
I would say my biggest criticism of the game is the way the stupid waypoint markers work. they're so damn small and hard to see on the map. if I use 5 of them and forget to remove them, it takes me forever to find them again. and sometimes if you accidentally place it directly on top of a grace, trying to select it to remove it just results in you clicking on the grace
I just create a few random ones to erase the ones I "lost"

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Where do most people PVP? Trying to find the best place to find duels
I've seen a lot of duels at the very beginning at the steps. But if you open your map there's an option to "show multiplayer status" and you'll see blue and red circles indicating coop or pvp activity in the areas. Inside the circles are crossed swords and the size of that icon indicates how busy the area is.

edit: Wow, I totally missed how long ago you asked that question. I thought I was on the current page when I loaded up :p

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Really? Because when you were trying to tell everyone Margit was the hardest souls boss ever you were quick to point out how to beat every other souls boss. And we all proceeded to laugh.

And I don't believe anyone asked for your opinion on how you think every boss is impossible without being cheesed either.
So? I didn’t ask for your opinion. I don’t know who you are so stay quiet unless someone talks to you. Keep laughing. Bye sweetie.

Last edited:
Mine too. I finished the game without downloading the patch and I don’t think I’m playing it again for a long, long time. And next time I’ll use a sorcerer. This game fucks melee users all around.
Dude I ran straight melee str for the first 80-90hrs of my file before it became almost impossible against bosses like Commander Niahl. After that boss I respec'd to int/str/dex with frost and the game became 10 times easier. Feels like it's back to square one.

it feels like fromsoft doesn't want players using only melee in this game already, then they go and nerf the best ashes of war for melee only users. Why even live

Swift_Star

Banned
Dude I ran straight melee str for the first 80-90hrs of my file before it became almost impossible against bosses like Commander Niahl. After that boss I respec'd to int/str/dex with frost and the game became 10 times easier. Feels like it's back to square one.

it feels like fromsoft doesn't want players using only melee in this game already, then they go and nerf the best ashes of war for melee only users. Why even live
I think that’s fair, most weapons I found scales with dex/int and str/int. Very few was str/fth. I’m going with dex/int in another run since it seems the optimal way to play the game.

Last edited:
I just create a few random ones to erase the ones I "lost"
that's genius
I've seen a lot of duels at the very beginning at the steps. But if you open your map there's an option to "show multiplayer status" and you'll see blue and red circles indicating coop or pvp activity in the areas. Inside the circles are crossed swords and the size of that icon indicates how busy the area is.

edit: Wow, I totally missed how long ago you asked that question. I thought I was on the current page when I loaded up :p
I appreciate the response, even if it is old! I had no idea how that system worked. I've been PVPing in the starting area. it's great

I will say though, the most fun I've had PVPing is during big group PVP sessions. I just don't know how to consistently reproduce it. it's really fun whenever it happens. either results in an all out massive battle or just results in a bunch of 1v1 duels where the rest of watch.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
I decided I’m going for another run, now using dex/int. I never used a caster in these games before, want to see what the fuss is all about. I have no idea how to distribute my stats with this kind of build. I gather high vig is still a necessity, but how about endurance?

I decided I’m going for another run, now using dex/int. I never used a caster in these games before, want to see what the fuss is all about. I have no idea how to distribute my stats with this kind of build. I gather high vig is still a necessity, but how about endurance?
I respecd my dex build to 25 endurance and that is 100% melee and I find it to be enough.

for a caster/melee like dex/int, I would only put enough endurance to equip whatever armor/weapon you want to use.

I would probably go vigor > mind > end > int > dex when it comes to which order to prioritize them, but as for how much to pump into each one, I would follow this:

for stat break points. my above listing doesn't mean that you should invest more points into the ones I listed higher, rather that you might notice more of a benefit early on if you put some points in them first. dex scaling, for example, really didn't make a huge difference for me until pretty late game.

Last edited:
I collect VHS tapes I collect VHS tapes Swift_Star Swift_Star

Last time I respecd I went with 30 endurance, 25 just wasn’t cutting it for weight limits. I’m playing a faith /strength build, but I left strength relatively low even tho I do a fair amount of melee combat. 16 was the sweet spot for me and since all my weapons use sacred ash, they all scale with faith anyway.

I’m actually thinking about a no strength/low strength build since weapons like the Coded sword have only faith requirements to equip. Just more points I can put into something else… 🤓

Last edited:

j0hnnix

RCnKZz2.jpg

j0hnnix

Debating whether to respec into arcane/dex and test it out or start my astrologer play through

Has anyone messed around with arcane/bleed scaling/river of flame/etc

If it's a fresh play through, astrologer, something new. Respec Arcane if you want to rip with the new scaling fix for fun. Looks like rivers of blood might be new meta weapon but obviously with proper build.. white mask, Lord of Blood talisman, maybe the other talisman to increase attack can't remember the name. Some builds throwing in the mohgs spear in combo. Two weeks rivers will be nerfed 😂

Speed runners saying sorcery.

Last edited:
Top Bottom