• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

j0hnnix

it sounds like it's time for some of u kids to git gud

accuse the hunchback of notre dame GIF

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m officially beat the game, I’m sure I miss some boss fights but damn what a fun game.

This my first playthrough but the game says 118 hours? HOLLY SHIT!!! I think I’m gonna take a break from the game for now.

Astral Dog

More hours of play and...i think im regretting this purchase.

Its not the game's fault ,its actually mine for buying into the hype :^P, im really picky when it comes to open world games as i don't really enjoy most of them, they tend to fill a ton of vast empty space with lame mechanics,repetitive tasks, annoying traveling, Elden Ring is a traditional Souls but with much more filler land, already getting tired of go to checkpoint, farm souls,kill enemies, return to checkpoint,upgrade equipment, repeat.

Some jRPGs i like because i really enjoy exploring their world, there are many towns with characters to meet, cutscenes that move the plot forward, a group of characters with distinctive personalities, design and roles.

There is nothing of that in Elden Ring, the narrative is lacking at best, no towns, main character may as well be a moving brick. all is dead and shit, and while that works for Souls im really starting to get tired of FROM's formula,the art, ambiance and enemy design as always is pure awesome,but even that can't carry me through the whole adventure like it did before.

im glad i gave this one a chance, but Dark Souls 3 remains my top FROM game, and i know im in the minority regarding that but i really liked that game's design.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Mimic Tear seems to be improved for Sorcery builds, was useless in attack before but worked as a tank, now works great in both.

I’m not liking the update that renders you useless when a message appears on screen, if enemies can still attack you, you should be able to attack back.

Majukun

Found my first illusory wall.
Given the location of it I don't know if they are exclusive to this place or they are also out in the wild though

Majukun

Whats the verdict on this patch as far as console stutter? Seems improved on ps5 to my eyes but not cemetery gone. Anyone have any thoughts?
Did nothing for it on PC

It did seem to change how the game loads the level though, since now you can actually see it populate the world in feont of you when you first start the game... Thing is i had no stutter issues with version 1.0 or whatever the first version of it was, and I would like for them to come Back to that

Last edited:

Majukun

They’re everywhere

I found an invisible floor the other day. No clue how I would have found it if I didn’t see another player use it.
Did it at least 'make sense'
Dido you feel light there might be a IW there even with no indication just because of it's location?

Or it was literally just a hole in the middle of a flat mountain side with no discerning features?

Bartski

Gold Member
The last boss of this game is legitimately fucking awful. What a shame.
yeah I spoke about it earlier in the thread. Huge letdown and the single thing I truly disliked in the whole game. After how great the fight with Radagon was and FROM final boss standards I just couldn't believe it.

Bartski

Gold Member
Has anyone messed around with arcane/bleed scaling/river of flame/etc
I just recpeced for arcane/bleed for the first time and this could be the most OP I've ever been. At 90 Arc and 40 Dex a Seppuku buffed occult scaled Uchigatana +25 goes over 800 in raw damage, power stanced with +24 bleed buffed Wakizashi bleeds in 2-3 hits. That's before all the item and talisman bleed buffs. The NG+ fight with Volcano manor Godskin Noble was literally running up to him and spamming L1 till he was dead in less than 10 seconds.

Orpheum

The key is to shorten the fight. Use the summons to keep him distracted and try to kill him as quickly as possible. Stay under him and wail away. The fight is easier on foot than on Torrent IMO.

I beat him yesterday after installing the patch. Didn't realize just HOW crappy my weapon was without scaling properly since i'm using
Eleonora's Poleblade
. The damage difference was night and day

FunkMiller

yeah I spoke about it earlier in the thread. Huge letdown and the single thing I truly disliked in the whole game. After how great the fight with Radagon was and FROM final boss standards I just couldn't believe it.

It’s just such a weak, boring, characterless design… with a dull arena, bland attacks, and ridiculous movement. Marry that with forcing you
straight into the fight right after the much more interesting previous opponent
and it really is such a poor ending to what is otherwise probably the best game I’ve ever played. Frankly, once you
return from Farum Azula, the quality drops off a lot.

Bartski

Gold Member
Frankly, once you
return from Farum Azula, the quality drops off a lot.
I actually loved the final stretch all the way 'till the very last fight. Radagon is just chef's kiss, the lead up, visual design of the whole encounter, the TUNE omg man so good... and then you end up fighting a fucking flying alien squid with a sword that makes the Divine Dragon from Sekiro feel like an amazing fight in comparison. What?

FunkMiller

I actually loved the final stretch all the way 'till the very last fight. Radagon is just chef's kiss, the lead up, visual design of the whole encounter, the TUNE omg man so good... and then you end up fighting a fucking flying alien squid with a sword that makes the Divine Dragon from Sekiro feel like an amazing fight in comparison. What?

I call it
Penis Wings.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I just recpeced for arcane/bleed for the first time and this could be the most OP I've ever been. At 90 Arc and 40 Dex a Seppuku buffed occult scaled Uchigatana +25 goes over 800 in raw damage, power stanced with +24 bleed buffed Wakizashi bleeds in 2-3 hits. That's before all the item and talisman bleed buffs. The NG+ fight with Volcano manor Godskin Noble was literally running up to him and spamming L1 till he was dead in less than 10 seconds.
What changed with the arcane scaling relative to bleed?

i saw a video recently where a guy was testing with 99 arc and almost nothing changed.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Wow! I may have try try a small shield - Is the Buckler Parry really that good? Or does this guy just have insane timing? (or both?) :)
He has a smiling sekiro face as an avatar, the guy can probably parry a bullet with a swiss knife in real life...

thuGG_pl

After 100 hours playing as a mage I think that mage armor sets are generally useless. Basically they don't give anything to mages, they don't boos intelligence or mind. They don't boost any sorceries. Nothing.
They are light, have high magic defence but weak physical defence.
I found that investing few points in endurance allows me to wear some heavier armors that way outllass mage armors in physical defence (which is useful most of the time) and are also almost comparable in magical defence.
Therefore I see no point in wearing mage robes, because from the stats point of view, it doesn't make sense.

Would be nice if mage armor sets would give something special to mages, so I wouldn't even consider wearing anything else.

Bartski

Gold Member
What changed with the arcane scaling relative to bleed?

i saw a video recently where a guy was testing with 99 arc and almost nothing changed.
Highest arcane raw damage scaling comes from the occult affinity, rather than blood affinity. Both can be used to change weapon scaling on bleed buffing ashes of war. I haven't tested blood affinity yet, is lower raw damage but higher bleed buildup. Do I really need an even higher bleed buildup? This is already an overkill but I plan to test some more tonight.

Freeman76

Anyone else finding a real lack of summon signs on xbox? This is the quietest of all the series in terms of amount of helpers around. Im at volcano manor and its about the 5th or 6th major boss where i cant get help. Dont know if its just the huge number of bosses or the fact that most of them give shit rewards for the sunbro? It cant be due to lack of players and my nat type is open with mp location unresticted as well

Mephisto40

Just a bit of info about the mimic nerf, it's really not that bad at all, infact the may have even buffed it in certain aspects

I'd been struggling with godskin duo for days with my mimic, tried it last night and beat it on my first attempt after the patch

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Anyone else finding a real lack of summon signs on xbox? This is the quietest of all the series in terms of amount of helpers around. Im at volcano manor and its about the 5th or 6th major boss where i cant get help. Dont know if its just the huge number of bosses or the fact that most of them give shit rewards for the sunbro? It cant be due to lack of players and my nat type is open with mp location unresticted as well

You may simply not be in the common summon level for the area you're in.

Orpheum

did you use the Furcalling Finger Remedy? you need to use one to reveal the summon signs afaik

SJRB

Gold Member

You might be over/under leveled. I think you can only summon people somewhat in the same level range as yourself.

Orbital2060

Highest arcane raw damage scaling comes from the occult affinity, rather than blood affinity. Both can be used to change weapon scaling on bleed buffing ashes of war. I haven't tested blood affinity yet, is lower raw damage but higher bleed buildup. Do I really need an even higher bleed buildup? This is already an overkill but I plan to test some more tonight.
Have you settled on a weapon yet?

Edit I saw your previous post now. I just picked up the Nagakiba, and it looks like a contender for the long run. But it has a D/D scaling in STR/DEX so not an option for me until next game. Unless I respec. Just wondering what the best katana or sword that works best for hemorrhage. Its tempting to do something with daggers, as well.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Have you settled on a weapon yet?
For this build Seppuku AoW Uchigatana +25 power stancing with +24 Wazikashi with Parry AoW, both on occult affinity are insane for bosses. Kind of retired my +25 Hookclaws with quickstep but those are awesome too.
I have Rivers of Blood katana +9 and +10 Eleonora's Poleblade - the blood twinblade. Both do worse on raw damage output than Uchigatana but the twinblade has a great move set and I stick to it for mobs now as it's just too much fun.

Last edited:

DanEON

I think I will upgrade my Uchigatana to use some Ashes of War since I cant change my Moonveil. Is the Uchigatane worth upgrading? Any better weapon recommended?

Orbital2060

For this build Seppuku AoW Uchigatana +25 power stancing with +24 Wazikashi with Parry AoW, both on occult affinity are insane for bosses. Kind of retired my +25 Hookclaws with quickstep but those are awesome too.
I have Rivers of Blood katana +9 and +10 Eleonora's Poleblade - the blood twinblade. Both do worse on raw damage output than Uchigatana but the twinblade has a great move set and I stick to it for mobs now as it's just too much fun.
Awesome thanks. Im still levelling and clearing the game. Using a red heater shield and a + 21 uchi with Bloody Slash. 2handed for most bosses, but I like to use a shield when learning the environments first time. I have to go and pick up the Wakizashi, I missed that when I did that dungeon.

I just checked and an Occult Nagakiba has the same raw damage as the Uchigatana and same B scaling with Arcane at + 25. But with a much longer blade, like the Washing Pole.

Edit looks like I was wrong about the scaling and its better than the Uchi. With a D/C scaling in Str/Dex. And the Uchi has the D/D scaling.

Last edited:

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
There was a minor patch, any notes on this one?

I’m level 64 at 41 hours in…just now hitting Altus plateau. I think I might be going slow? I keep finding new stuff everywhere!

Last edited:
Apparently Radahn got a pretty hefty nerf:

I believe it, I gave up and took a detour for a while, came back yesterday to fight and beat him first try. Sure I was a few levels higher, but there is no way that was the main reason.

Though before I thought I could only summon 3 guys during the fight, and this time I realized I could have like 5 of them fighting at once, so that probably helped a lot. Also they seemed to live a hell of a lot longer, I think all of them survived until his mid fight explosion thing.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Where the fuck are the ashes that give Keen (dex) affinity? I've cleared out the entirety of Limgrave and the peninsula to the south, and large parts to the north and east, and I have found a ton of ashes but ZERO that give Keen affinity. Wtf.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Are you saying there are no ashes with Keen?

But yeah, I have that. Don't fully understand it though (haven't used it yet). It says it lets you choose an ADDITIONAL affinity over the one the ash gives you, but some descriptions make it sound like it lets you choose one INSTEAD of the one you would get from the ash. Which is it? Can I get double Keen affinity if the ash has it and I also choose it, or does it replace the affinity of the ash?

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

But yeah, I have that. Don't fully understand it though (haven't used it yet). It says it lets you choose an ADDITIONAL affinity over the one the ash gives you, but some descriptions make it sound like it lets you choose one INSTEAD of the one you would get from the ash. Which is it? Can I get double Keen affinity if the ash has it and I also choose it, or does it replace the affinity of the ash?

Lol that paragraph more or less paints my Soulsborne experience.

So many ???? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Orbital2060

Top Bottom