• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

R6Rider

Gold Member
Malenia can heal herself when she hits you........
66CU.gif

With bleed build up I have slight chance against her.
She even heals if you block her attack.

Sword slaps your shield and she somehow heals from it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Malenia can heal herself when she hits you........
66CU.gif

With bleed build up I have slight chance against her.
Yeah I arrived there yesterday and couldn't believe that. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Good luck mate, that healing shit is far from the worst she's capable of.

SkylineRKR

Aright I can safely say that the main design failure of this game is the crafting system. You can clearly succeed without ever engaging with it, yet it is a constant annoyance because of loot, you think you might get something useful and its often another piece of crafting junk you probably wont use, the game would simply be better without this crafting garbage.

Yeah crafting sucks. I don't care about it at all. It might be handy if for some reasons you absolutely can't cast a spell, but Anti poison or the poison/rot cleanse spell are mandatory for any run and I don't think the requirements are steep at all. Beats farming stupid dragonflies anyway.

Its probably only useful for creating arrows on the spot.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Good luck mate, that healing shit is far from the worst she's capable of.
Honestly she healing herself is not that bad since I'm using fully upgraded Morgott's Cursed Sword, I can make her bleed more often.

The big difficulty is when she suddenly jumps up then does waves of slashes which is very hard to dodge.

Last edited:
Let me start off by saying that there are some spoilers in my post so if you don't want to be spoiled you're free to skip this post.

This is my experience with Elden Ring with two different builds. On PS5 I did an intelligence build with a minor spec into dexterity and faith (which allowed me to use the Night and Flame sword) . On Series X, I did a pure strength build and only put points into other things that I needed to use a certain weapon. I mainly used the Ruins Greatsword in the Xbox run.

My playtime for each was as follows:

1. PS5-
Time- 68 hours
Level- 169

2. Xbox-
Time- 42 hours
Level- 156

I completed every acheivement/trophy boss on both consoles. I completed every dungeon boss on PS5 and about 90% on Xbox.

Here are my takeaways

1. Besides the noticeable dips in FPS during the Radagon fight on Xbox even with VRR on, both consoles ran the game satisfactory in performance mode.

2. Eventhough I completed the game on PS5 first with a mage build and knew the bosses inside out, there were certain bosses that fucked me up on my strength run. Specifically Godskin Duo and Melania. Magic/Faith is definitely the easiest way to play upto the last 3 fights. Their rush down and pressure gave me a little trouble trying to set up spells or cast either with Moonveil or N&F but overall it was an easier time than a strength build.

3. If you're having trouble, its better to level up your mimic as far as you can rather than summon other players. I used the summon a few times to test it out with Malenia and the last boss fight and the players were worse than myself a majority of the time. The mimic is OP (in a good way) in that it takes off some heat from the player to gather themselves and use items if need be.

4. The hardest boss battle for me was Godskin Duo. Until I found out a solid strategy, I was getting smashed on my strength build. My magic/faith build faired far better. I used the night and flame sword and melted those fuckers quick. It was still a challenge but far more doable. I beat them before the hoarfrost stomp strat became a thing. I will try that on Ng+.

5. In prior souls games I would level five or six different characters but now I'm just going to use larval tears and respec. The Game is amazing but it has taken years off of my life completing it on two different platforms. Thankfully my wife is forgiving and is busy with grad school and I get to spend quality time with my son while I play (he plays on his tablet) I don't forsee myself making a fresh character this year atleast like I did for other games.

6. To build onto number 5, I'm going to spend a lot of my Elden ring time going forward helping others with bosses or even giving build advice to friends irl or in game.

7. The environments, the music, the enemies, the weapons, the armor, etc are all fucking amazing. FROM nailed this game and other devs are going to have to step it up. Im not a big open world fan because they are tedious with tons of fetch quests. I was never bored with this game.

In conclusion, this is my favorite game ever. If you haven't played it yet or you are stuck. Do not quit and give it a shot. I'm a FROM fan boy but this game exceeded my expectations. I also want to say that the souls community is simply amazing. You guys in this thread rock and I'm constantly checking in to see how everyone is progressing with the game.

PRAISE THE SUN MAIDENLESS

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The Bloody Slash skill makes the katana do so much damage. Wew lad. Also wow I apparently should've done Weeping Peninsula a lot earlier; this whole section of the map was too easy at level 55.

Kinda laughed at these monsters snowmans with trumpets wtf are from smoking lmao

Some youtuber will explain it in a lore video 6 months from now lol

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The big difficulty is when she suddenly jumps up then does waves of slashes which is very hard to dodge.
That anime attack is, right now, the bane of my existence.

I can not lose life to it, by guarding the first wave, then roll forward towards her just before the second wave, and then repeat before the third way.

Problems are: she heals because I can't dodge the first wave, and I'm not 100% consistent so often it ends up getting me killed.

Why do I always end up getting filtered by cute waifu sword users? Same thing happened with Lady Maria. :goog_relieved:

Danjin44

That anime attack is, right now, the bane of my existence.

I can not lose life to it, by guarding the first wave, then roll forward towards her just before the second wave, and then repeat before the third way.

Problems are: she heals because I can't dodge the first wave, and I'm not 100% consistent so often it ends up getting me killed.

Why do I always end up getting filtered by cute waifu sword users? Same thing happened with Lady Maria. :goog_relieved:
If she uses that attack when I have good distance for her then I can get away from her but I'm close when she does that then I dont have no chance getting away from that attack.

Bryank75

Banned
What is the coolest magic armor? The Azur set? Or is there something cooler?

I have a few sets now.. I like the eldrich one and the black monk one.

TintoConCasera

If she uses that attack when I have good distance for her then I can get away from her but I'm close when she does that then I dont have no chance getting away from that attack.
Same for me! Running away was my first strat, but man, there must be some way to avoid that shit cause sometimes there's just not enough time to run away.

R6Rider

Gold Member
What is the coolest magic armor? The Azur set? Or is there something cooler?

I have a few sets now.. I like the eldrich one and the black monk one.
In terms of magic/wizard looks?

Personally like the Alberich and Snow Witch sets.

Actual armor with magic touch might go to the Carian Knight set.

85 hours, just platinum'ed it after I originally didn`t even want to play the game due to its performance issues.
Talk about addictive game design.
The perf issues dissolve as you realize there's no better way to spend your time with a video game.

Speaking of perf, I've got a midrange system (i5, 1070Ti) and whenever it rains I get fucking 60fps LOCKED. Anyone else experience perf gains in the rain?

clem84

Gold Member
In the upper left corner of the map, there's this tall dude who sells somber smithing stones, but not regular smithing stones? Is there a place that sells regular smithing stones?

edit: answered. thanks!

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Not sure in the wild but if you find the bell bearings (you might already have) give them to the twin maiden husks at Roundtable and they start selling some of them.

Last edited:

Pejo

Not sure in the wild but if you find the bell bearings (you might already have) give them to the twin maiden husks at Roundtable and they start selling some of them.
Not sure if I messed up a quest in my game by doing this, but if you can

kill all those generic merchants, they drop their ball bearings that you can feed to the twin maidens so it becomes your one-stop shop without needing to remember who sold what and where they are in the world.

SCB3

The bird farming method, you can get from level 50 to 130 in about an hour and a half

You can get to one of the end game areas pretty early on and just keep farming an enemy that runs off a cliff using a single arrow, you get 13000 souls every 20 seconds or so from it

They'll probably patch it, but that is how people have power leveled so high
Ah I’ll avoid that then, I know it’s part of the game but I dunno feels cheap to me

Bartski

Gold Member
There is one more additional amazing quality to this game I'm discovering now moving through NG+ - vistas just hit different when you know the land, and start really recognizing smaller landmarks from up high and far away.

I tend to stop a lot and just check the terrain with the pocket telescope in awe and leave messages about the view.

They nailed it.

Oh and

2rAQkiy.jpg
4YTbESK.jpg

Doom85

Gold Member

Funny, Lady Maria is my favorite boss fight (and character) of the Soulsborne franchise, but I never found her difficult, always beat her first try in all 3 of my play throughs (now Orphan of Kos is a whole other matter).

Which depresses me as Sif from Dark Souls 1 is my 2nd favorite boss fight, but again always beat him first try. It’s not that I love them for being easy fights, rather I find the fights so cool, and wish it were harder so it would take me a few more tries.

I’m sure once I reach Malenia that it will take me more than one try for sure. I mean, the one girl who was the final fight of the first Dark Souls 3 DLC definitely killed me at least once IIRC.

Bryank75

Banned
In terms of magic/wizard looks?

Personally like the Alberich and Snow Witch sets.

Actual armor with magic touch might go to the Carian Knight set.

Oh yeah, I meant the Alberich set. I just got the Godskin set too.

Snow witch looks good and looks like I missed the Carian Knight set it seems.... and I just saw a 'Cleanrot set' which looks very cool.

Loving collecting these things.

Danjin44

Same for me! Running away was my first strat, but man, there must be some way to avoid that shit cause sometimes there's just not enough time to run away.
I figured out just like you said before, block the fist wave and the dodge forward, always dodge toward the attack.

But the fucking problem is in her second phase she does same thing but if you block it build your scarlet rot…..this is fucking nightmare.

Majukun

so...I lost against a CPU pre-planned invasion...how can i rechallenge the same invader again?i went to the same place but it doesn't appear anymore...are they a one thing only and you lose what they drop if you don't defeat them the first time?

TintoConCasera

I figured out just like you said before, block the fist wave and the dodge forward, always dodge toward the attack.

But the fucking problem is in her second phase she does same thing but if you block it build your scarlet rot…..this is fucking nightmare.
Dont you have any of those talismans that increase your resistance to that? Mine is at 350, and so far I haven't had problems with the rot. Make sure to have some curatives, or that fire spell that cures it (it's cheap on mana).

I had her at 1/3 of her life in one of my previous tries. Almost there! We got this.(y)

Rex_DX

Gold Member
so...I lost against a CPU pre-planned invasion...how can i rechallenge the same invader again?i went to the same place but it doesn't appear anymore...are they a one thing only and you lose what they drop if you don't defeat them the first time?
I'm still in the early game but I lost one time to an invader and they respawned on the next visit.

Assuming you mean an NPC invader btw. Not sure what a "CPU Pre-planned invasion" is exactly.

If that's the case, Souls games usually respawn the invader but it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few one chance only encounters. Pretty sure that's not the case here though. Maybe go during the same time of day as you did previously?

Edit: and what do you mean by "it doesn't appear anymore"? If you touched a red summon sign that was a player (unless it's a small handful of NPC red summons). I only know of one of those but im early on.

Edit the edit: make sure you're using the finger so you can see the summon sign again if that was the case. Sorry if that's an obvious one.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Finally fucking beat Malenia. :lollipop_content:

Loved the fight, how the first part felt impossible at first but just ended up being the tutorial for the actual boss fight. Mastering thos boss, learning all the attack patterns and how to avoid them and when to attack... It was very good, peak boss design in those series, at least imo.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Made it to the Altus Plateau via the back way and now a new guy appeared the Roundtable. I got the map for this new area but I’m definitely not leveled up enough to be here just yet so I will circle back to one of the 3 other areas I’ve found but not fully explored.

Swift_Star

Banned
For those of you having problems with the game… get the
hoarfrost stomp ash of war and the mimic tear summon
For real, these makes the game way more easy… I just fought Godskin duo without any preparation and defeated them in one try because of this setup.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
For real, these makes the game way more easy… I just fought Godskin duo without any preparation and defeated them in one try because of this setup.

This is good advice. Barricade Shield is also on this list. Makes things very simple. Careful if you're looking for a challenge though!

Belthazar

Just started this today as a Wretch and... damn this game is good. Just got really lucky and dropped a sword, shield and almost the entire set of the soldiers in the beginning area. We'll see how this plays out, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Just reached the volano manor. Question for quests

Does joining the manor for quest disrupts any on-going ones such as Ranni's?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Just lost out on a weapon drop because a giant crab Death Blighted me.

First legitimately infuriatingly bug I’ve encountered.

Swift_Star

Banned
Final boss of crumbling Farum Azura SUCKS.
Cool visual terrible, terrible boss fight, terrible gimmick. I don’t think I’d be able to beat it had I not cheesed. The combo i mentioned earlier is the only way to win this fight to me.
use the mimic tear to catch malekith attention and hoar frost stomp him away. If the mimic dies, you can dodge and hoarfrost him while he’s preparing for another attack.
There’s no way this boss can be beaten by melee characters without cheese. No fucking way.

Danjin44

Finally fucking beat Malenia. :lollipop_content:

Loved the fight, how the first part felt impossible at first but just ended up being the tutorial for the actual boss fight. Mastering thos boss, learning all the attack patterns and how to avoid them and when to attack... It was very good, peak boss design in those series, at least imo.
Same here FINALLY!!!
yes-yas.gif

hard ass boss, even rivalling Isshin, the Sword Saint but still very fun fight......unlike Godskin duo.

Last edited:
Both just got nerfed.

MastAndo

Patch 1.03 Notes;

Notice of Update Distribution​

We are distributing an update to improve the stability of gameplay and to adjust balance.
We apologize for the inconvenience, but please apply the latest update before you enjoy the game.

Targeted platforms:

• PlayStation 4
  • PlayStation 5
  • Xbox One
  • Xbox Series X|S
  • Steam

Major Changes Included in the Latest Update​

Additional Elements Added​

• Added a function to record an icon and the name of an NPC on the map when you encounter that NPC.
  • Added NPC Jar-Bairn.
  • Added new quest phases for the following NPCs: Diallos/ Nepheli Loux/ Kenneth Haight/ Gatekeeper Gostoc.
  • Added some summonable NPCs in multiple situations.
  • Increased the number of patterns of objects player can imitate when using Mimic’s Veil.
  • Added night background music for some open field area.

Bug Fixed​

• Fixed a bug that prevented summoned NPCs from taking damage in some boss battles.
  • Fixed a bug that sometime prevented the player from obtaining item after boss battle.
  • Fixed a bug that causes dialogue to be skipped when talking to NPCs and using custom key configurations.
  • Fixed a bug that causes the player to freeze when riding.
  • Fixed a bug that causes arcane to scale incorrectly for some weapons.
  • In situation where the player cannot obtain more than 2 talisman pouches, added talisman pouch to Twin Maiden Husks shop line up.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the user from warping to sites of grace from the map at the end of the game.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the player from moving to the next area after the battle with the Fire Giant.
  • Fixed a bug which causes some weapons to have incorrect scaling after strengthening.
  • Fixed a bug which causes some weapons to not use stat scaling.
  • Fixed hang-ups in certain occasions.
  • Fixed a bug which incorrectly displays multiplayer area boundary when playing online.
  • Fixed a bug that allows player to activate Erdtree Greatshield’s weapon skill without absorbing an attack using a special combination of item and incantation.
  • Fixed a bug which causes Fire’s Deadly Sin incantation to have different effect.
  • Fixed a bug with the Ash of War, Determination and Royal Knight's Resolve, where the damage buff will also apply to other weapons without that skill.
  • Adjusted the visual effect of Unseen Form spell.
  • Deleted the Ragged armor set from the game which was mistakenly obtainable in previous patch.
  • Fixed a bug that causes some hostile NPCs to drop Furlcalling Finger Remedy.
  • Fixed a bug that causes incorrect sound effect to play in some situations.
  • Fixed a bug which causes visual animation and hitboxes to not be displayed correctly on some maps.
  • Fixed bugs which causes incorrect visual and behavior for some enemies.
  • Fixed a bug that causes incorrect stat parameter for some armor.
  • Text fixes.
  • Other performance improvement and bug fixes.

Balance Changes​

• Increased the drop rate of Smithing Stone for some enemies.
  • Added Smithing Stone to some early game shop line up.
  • Increased shield’s effectiveness.
  • Increased the damage for all offensive cracked pot items.
  • Increased the damage for the following items: Spark Aromatic/Poison Spraymist.
  • Increased the effect duration for the following items: Uplifting Aromatic/ Ironjar Aromatic.
  • Increased HP healing for Torrent when using the following items: Rowa Raisin/ Sweet Raisin/ Frozen Raisin
  • Reduced FP consumption and increased the damage of the following sorceries: Glintstone Cometshard/ Comet/ Night Comet
  • Increased the damage of the following sorceries: Gravity Well/ Collapsing Stars/ Crystal Barrage
  • Decreased FP consumption of the following sorceries: Star Shower/ Rock Blaster/ Gavel of Haima/ Founding Rain of Stars/ Stars of Ruin/Greatblade Phalanx/Magic Downpour/ Loretta’s Greatbow/ Loretta’s Mastery/ Carian Greatsword/ Carian Piercer/ Shard Spiral
  • Raised projectile speed and range of Great Glintstone Shard
  • Decreased Ash of War, Hoarfrost Stomp's damage and increase cast time.
  • Increased Ash of War, Bloody Slash's self-inflict damage while slightly lowering the damage and increasing the cast time.
  • Decreased weapon skill, Sword of Night and Flame’s damage.
  • Increased FP consumption and lower duration of Ash of War, Barricade Shield.
  • Changed FP consumption timing of Ash of War, Prelate’s Charge.
  • Decreased the damage of spirit summoned when using the item Mimic Tear Ash and changed the spirit’s behavior pattern.
  • Other enemy and weapon balance changes
The version number of this update shown at the lower right corner of the Title Screen will be as follows:

• App Ver. 1.03
  • Regulation Ver. 1.03.1
Online play requires the player to apply this update.

We will continue to provide improvement update in the future so you can enjoy "ELDEN RING" more comfortably. Please stay tune for more news.

Top Bottom