• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

RoadHazard

Gold Member

That still doesn't answer my question:

"Iron Whetblade: Allows you to change your weapon's affinity based on the properties of the Ashes of War you use, with additional opportunity to apply Heavy, Keen, and Quality affinities. We found one at Stormveil Castle in Limgrave."

What does "additional opportunity" mean? Again, do I get double affinities or just the one I choose?

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Sometimes I understand things on my own! Often I do not. Lol.

Yeah same here, and a lot of second guessing the descriptions because there's a lot on the line when changing stuff like in your example. So when you fuck up you FUCK up lol.

Better save than sorry

Last edited:

imsosleepy

Just beat Radahn and slept in a coffin. Had to change my build to faith to beat Radahn, not sure how you do it as a melee character. The game is incredible, but it feels like I am playing a really good jrpg with fantastic world and combat, but shit story. Still think just a little more exposition would do wonders for the game.
Spammed arrows lol

Bartski

Gold Member

"Iron Whetblade: Allows you to change your weapon's affinity based on the properties of the Ashes of War you use, with additional opportunity to apply Heavy, Keen, and Quality affinities. We found one at Stormveil Castle in Limgrave."

What does "additional opportunity" mean? Again, do I get double affinities or just the one I choose?
Ashes don't really have an affinity of its own, but they limit the number of options from the pool of available affinities, that you expand by finding items such as the whiteblade. You can't for example have holy buff ash and attach it to your weapon with blood or occult affinity.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah same here, and a lot of second guessing the descriptions because there's a lot on the line when changing stuff like in your example. So when you fuck up you FUCK up lol.

Better save than sorry

In this case I think there's actually no risk, because ashes are reusable, but yeah, I find it annoying sometimes that key item descriptions can be super vague and at times simply inaccurate.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ashes don't really have an affinity of its own, but they limit the number of options from the pool of available affinities, that you expand by finding items such as the whiteblade. You can't for example have holy buff ash and attach it to your weapon with blood or occult affinity.

The descriptions of the ashes literally say they give the weapon a new affinity. You're saying that's incorrect?

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
The descriptions of the ashes literally say they give the weapon a new affinity. You're saying that's incorrect?
...give the weapon a new affinity, by choosing one of affinities available in the menu in the next step.
Which is how you alter scaling of the weapon with the ash attached. I'm pretty sure that's how it works

I’m really shocked how sorcery trivializes the game. Wtf? Why have I been torturing myself with melee builds all these years?
Eddie Griffin Lol GIF by HBO Max

Stay the course, friend.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
In this case I think there's actually no risk, because ashes are reusable, but yeah, I find it annoying sometimes that key item descriptions can be super vague and at times simply inaccurate.

See, I even got confused by your description =P

Orbital2060

Ashes give a weapon a certain affinity based on what it does. With a whet blade you can change that to what you want. Each whet blade gives you two or three more affinities to apply. I still use Keen on my uchi with a haemorrhage ash on it. Because the Blood affinity nerfs the raw damage.

Youre welcome

DjMystix

Finished it last night.

I am not a fan of FROM SOFTWARE and I personally think they get a free pass (just like Bethesda used to have) and can freely rehash and reuse their content over and over and can get away with it. Having said that, SEKIRO is one of my favorite games of all time. I initially did not like Elden Ring at all given the PS3 level graphics, clunky controls (compared to Sekiro) and barebone story elements. Restarted a few times with different classes and finally the mage class clicked with me. Really enjoyed the game and boss design. One of the biggest things that I can say about Elden Ring is that it really feels hand crafted which is not something you can say about any open world game.

I think the game was great and it was fun exploring the map, figuring out where to go next, learning boss's move sets. But I also think this is not a 10/10 game by any stretch of imagination. FROM SOFTWARE needs to get their act together and start improving areas they are terrible at. Graphics, UI, Controls are some good areas to start at.

I will say this, if you don't like soulsborne type of games but really want to try Elden Ring, go with a mage build. This is not Sekiro which has a fantastic close/melee combat. I think range attacks work better. And then later on, get Alecto spirit, max him out to level 10 and you will be pretty much unstoppable.

Last edited:
Looking back at it. Malenia would have been a better Sekiro boss. Sekiros Demon if Hatred would have been a better Souls boss as well.

Parrying her slashes would have been satisfying as fuck.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sekiros Demon if Hatred would have been a better Souls boss as well.

I feel this was the point of that boss, it took everything you'd learned during Sekiro and threw it out of the window.

Maybe my most hated boss in every From game, didn't feel happy after I beat it, just relieved.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Could people not spoil stuff like the final boss in the open in this thread? Or is this thread only for people who have finished the game?

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
This game is creepy freaky AF

Sure ER isn't the first but fuck

Maybe wanting some hopefulness is blasphemy but still

😅

Playing Fromsoft games to escape from a Fromsoft world

🤔

Last edited:

GermanZepp

I just recpeced for arcane/bleed for the first time and this could be the most OP I've ever been. At 90 Arc and 40 Dex a Seppuku buffed occult scaled Uchigatana +25 goes over 800 in raw damage, power stanced with +24 bleed buffed Wakizashi bleeds in 2-3 hits. That's before all the item and talisman bleed buffs. The NG+ fight with Volcano manor Godskin Noble was literally running up to him and spamming L1 till he was dead in less than 10 seconds.
I'm close to respect, im interested in a build like this, if you kindly want to throw some leads and tips ( or maybe share a video) send me a PM

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
When you are fighting what it seems to be the final boss and suddenly the menu theme starts playing.

I just knew they would do it, it's too cool to not do it, but still... Amazing stuff.

b7536208-6521-4d7c-987qk7t.png

Blaidd´s armor
Used that for some time. Loved seeing the cape get affected by environment stuff like mud or poison from swamps.

Boneless

Finished it last night.

I am not a fan of FROM SOFTWARE and I personally think they get a free pass (just like Bethesda used to have) and can freely rehash and reuse their content over and over and can get away with it. Having said that, SEKIRO is one of my favorite games of all time. I initially did not like Elden Ring at all given the PS3 level graphics, clunky controls (compared to Sekiro) and barebone story elements. Restarted a few times with different classes and finally the mage class clicked with me. Really enjoyed the game and boss design. One of the biggest things that I can say about Elden Ring is that it really feels hand crafted which is not something you can say about any open world game.

I think the game was great and it was fun exploring the map, figuring out where to go next, learning boss's move sets. But I also think this is not a 10/10 game by any stretch of imagination. FROM SOFTWARE needs to get their act together and start improving areas they are terrible at. Graphics, UI, Controls are some good areas to start at.

I will say this, if you don't like soulsborne type of games but really want to try Elden Ring, go with a mage build. This is not Sekiro which has a fantastic close/melee combat. I think range attacks work better. And then later on, get Alecto spirit, max him out to level 10 and you will be pretty much unstoppable.

How can you hate on Elden Ring's graphics if you love Sekiro so much? Elden Ring is so much more beautiful. 50 hours in, I still pause and take in the vista's. Saying "FROM SOFTWARE" needs to get their act together is pretty poor advice for a company who have just delivered a contender for the GOAT. ;)

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Only a few hours into my Greatshield only build and so far it's been great. Super fun to use and the shields can dish out a surprising amount of damage.

Went for the Spiked Palisade shield right away.

Orbital2060

i'm using a uchi the now but i want that nagakiba. should i progress cone heads quest to get it or just stick him with my uchi?
I forgot to do the quest with him, and when I came back late game he wouldnt move from his spot at the Seaside Ruins.

But

when I arrived at the first grace site in the Mountaintops of the Giants another cone head named Shabriri tells you that Yura is dead. His katana will then be at Yuras old spot in Seaside Ruins right where he used to stand. You can get his Ronin armor too I think, if you follow the whole questline.

Or yeah just kill him he drops the katana, if you dont want to wait.

it's confusing, and I know exactly what you're asking

for example:

Unsheathe has the option without a whetblade to apply keen

does that mean using the whetblade AND unsheathe allow you to apply 2 instances of keen?

I asked this a while ago. from my testing, you do NOT get two applications of keen. at least I don't think so. or else my scaling should have been A or S at that time, I think? idk, the whole game is cryptic

great now we have to smack everything 50 times instead of once to check if there is an illusory wall

has anyone else found any invisible walkways? I mean like you drop down, and instead of falling to your death, you're apparently floating, because you are on an invisible walkway. like it was made out of glass or something.

I've only found one of these but I'm wondering how common they are.

Did it at least 'make sense'
Dido you feel light there might be a IW there even with no indication just because of it's location?

Or it was literally just a hole in the middle of a flat mountain side with no discerning features?
it depends. most the illusion walls I found either made sense, or you should know it was there because there was a ton of hints near a wall.

as for the invisible pathways/walkways I'm talking about that you float on, I've only found one of those and I wouldn't have found it without a clue/seeing another player do it. it is much harder to test because you're literally gambling on there being something invisible to catch your fall and prevent you from dying. way more risk than smacking a wall.

Last edited:

Pejo

great now we have to smack everything 50 times instead of once to check if there is an illusory wall

has anyone else found any invisible walkways? I mean like you drop down, and instead of falling to your death, you're apparently floating, because you are on an invisible walkway. like it was made out of glass or something.

I've only found of these but I'm wondering how common they are.
No walkways, didn't even know this game had them, but now that you found one, i'll always be looking for floating messages and bloodstains.

Who finds this stuff? Hmm yes, let's hit the walls 50 times each.
In the comments they're saying it may have more to do with weapon poise damage than number of hits. Colossal weapons seem to take down the wall in 10~ or so hits. Still.....fuckin' a man.

I have to wonder if the FROM PR person isn't dropping these hints undercover.

*edit*

Also, get your unlimited HP while it lasts...

Last edited:

DjMystix

How can you hate on Elden Ring's graphics if you love Sekiro so much? Elden Ring is so much more beautiful. 50 hours in, I still pause and take in the vista's. Saying "FROM SOFTWARE" needs to get their act together is pretty poor advice for a company who have just delivered a contender for the GOAT. ;)
Point taken but I didn't like sekiro's graphics as well lol. Agree that elden ring looks much better. But it would've been awesome if the game looked current Gen :)

My goty so far is still sifu. It also didn't break any. Grounds in graphics but dang that game was insanely fun and addictive.

Last edited:
Just wanted to comment on the boost in visuals/performance when playing the PS4 version on a PS5.
Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

It's pretty insane. I was fine with the base PS4 visuals, just felt like playing Dark Souls on PS3 w/ less slow down. The framerate and graphical upgrades are insane though. Night and day difference.

Found both halves of a medallion last night and used the elevator to get to the northwest section of the map. Friggin' gorgeous. Looks like Fall time. This game is effing huge, each time I unlock a section of the map it just seems like there's no end in sight.

Astral Dog

as good as it is, Elden Ring makes me appreciate what other games/RPGs offer(open world or not) , and why those elements are so important and add a lot to the experience.

Zelda for example, has its many puzzles and lively towns full of npc to keep the pacing interesting, even if Breath of the Wild combat and enemy design is trash compared to From's, (if only Nintendo put some effort! )

previous Soul games like DS3 and Bloodborne look far prettier (due to not being open world) next to them Elden looks plain, their level design can also be cooler

Other RPGs have an actual story, main characters with distinct personalities and designs, with cutscenes to tell a narrative, nit everyone likes this approach but i think its fun and gives motivation to keep playing and see what happens next, instead of whatever ED is supposed to be.

other action games like Devil May Cry have amazing combat without limiting the player with stamina bars, useless upgrades or other limitations

finally, its a little weird how Elden Ring is instantly considered by most gamers to be superior to previous games, an 'evolution' or groundbreaking because its open world design, its the exact same formula, , tired of how open world has become this 'genre' were everybody thinks its better simply because it has more empty land, filler content and ways of traveling, (though the 🦄 is a very cool dude i admit, he looks so awesome when he jumps) i would take the more streamlined level design of Bloodborne or Dark Souls over Elden any day of the week. anyways rant over keep playing guys

Pejo

Just wanted to comment on the boost in visuals/performance when playing the PS4 version on a PS5.
Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

It's pretty insane. I was fine with the base PS4 visuals, just felt like playing Dark Souls on PS3 w/ less slow down. The framerate and graphical upgrades are insane though. Night and day difference.

Found both halves of a medallion last night and used the elevator to get to the northwest section of the map. Friggin' gorgeous. Looks like Fall time. This game is effing huge, each time I unlock a section of the map it just seems like there's no end in sight.
Just wait until you go down the underground river areas rabbit hole. I was expecting it to be 1-2 areas but it just keeps going and going and going, then you go to an entirely different area and keep going and going and going, then you do it again....

Just wait until you go down the underground river areas rabbit hole. I was expecting it to be 1-2 areas but it just keeps going and going and going, then you go to an entirely different area and keep going and going and going, then you do it again....
Yea, I have the grace point at the Sofria Well but haven't actually explored it yet. Looks absolutely massive, found it early on in the game but might have to venture down there this weekend.

Gordon Freeman

Gold Member
I have to agree that the quests and dialogue are extremely mediocre. Like I’m playing a 2001 MMORPG.

Go to one NPC then to another. Listen to awful voice acting with bad lip syncing. Do random task for the quest. Talk to the next boring and static NPC etc.

The stories the game is telling and the world From has built are amazing. But the NPC interactions and quests are very mediocre and like I said akin to a 2001 MMORPG.

The Volcano Manor quest line is a great example. Great story and themes. Felt awful for Rya and finding out her origin was so nasty. Along with what happens after you defeat the major boss here and return. But the voice acting is awful and it’s just the same talk to NPCs in all the different spots and go kill an enemy. Come back. Rinse. Repeat.

Last edited:
I have to agree that the quests and dialogue are extremely mediocre. Like I’m playing a 2001 MMORPG.

Go to one NPC then to another. Listen to awful voice acting with bad lip syncing. Do random task for the quest. Talk to the next boring and static NPC etc.

The stories the game is telling and the world From has built are amazing. But the NPC interactions and quests are very mediocre and like I said akin to a 2001 MMORPG.
Is this your first time playing a Souls game though? They're all like this.

I always chalked it up to a stylistic choice and because the world you inhabit is basically a purgatory of sorts. Like a fever dream. Yea it's confusing but I never took these games as inhabiting a functioning world like Skyrim, or other games, so the weird dialogue seemed fitting/intentional to me.

geary

Does anyone gets motion sickness from playing with M/K? It's unbelievable that FS didn't manage to fix the camera movement in 10 years when playing with M/K.

Top Bottom