• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

imsosleepy

my god.. I spend almost the entire day with some breaks on the Ranni questline..
omg that was so much work lol, so many hard fights. Geezus and I'm finally done and it feels super satisfying. Areas I would have otherwise most likely completely missed lol. So much effort in this quest most people wil miss haha crazy

MadPanda

Banned
Guys, I'm playing Bandit, using reduvia now. Is that weapon worth upgrading or there are much better weapons out there? Any suggestions. I'm lvl40 now, exploring the world mostly, on the story side just passed that first big boss in the castle. some 25 hours in the game.

It just took Dr. Disrespect a couple hours to get to the bottom of The Divine Tower of Caelid lol. Now he's been fighting Godskin Apostle for awhile. I love seeing some of these streamers who don't normally play these games really take to ER.

I just opened up his stream again and he's still fighting Godskin Apostle lololol.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Loving this patch so far.

"DO SOMETHING, SUMMON!!!!"

sloth no GIF

Pejo

Guys, I'm playing Bandit, using reduvia now. Is that weapon worth upgrading or there are much better weapons out there? Any suggestions. I'm lvl40 now, exploring the world mostly, on the story side just passed that first big boss in the castle. some 25 hours in the game.
If you want to stick with Daggers specifically, it's one of the best in the game, especially if you go with a high Arcane stat. The only two daggers besides Reduvia I'd personally consider using are the Blade of Calling or the Black Knife, depending on what stats you're concentrating on. Either way, they both come much later in the game. That said, the short reach is going to make some things very difficult on you, so no harm running a secondary weapon too.

MastAndo

It just took Dr. Disrespect a couple hours to get to the bottom of The Divine Tower of Caelid lol. Now he's been fighting Godskin Apostle for awhile. I love seeing some of these streamers who don't normally play these games really take to ER.
He's still at it. :messenger_tears_of_joy: He seems really underleveled for this boss, doing little damage and dying in 2 quick shots. Super entertaining watching him rage though. I've been regularly watching Limmy play and he's taking the opposite approach - getting really overleveled and lingering around the starting areas, crushing everything.

There's just something about this game. I finished the main story, so taking a break from it, but I'm spending all this time watching other people play it.

Mossybrew

I'm trying to experiment with some different ash summons, hard to tell which ones or good or bad sometimes, especially without upgrading them, but Ancient Dragon Knight Kristoff seems pretty good as a more tanky summon to complement my mage.

MadPanda

Banned
If you want to stick with Daggers specifically, it's one of the best in the game, especially if you go with a high Arcane stat. The only two daggers besides Reduvia I'd personally consider using are the Blade of Calling or the Black Knife, depending on what stats you're concentrating on. Either way, they both come much later in the game. That said, the short reach is going to make some things very difficult on you, so no harm running a secondary weapon too.

I don't want to stick to daggers specifically, I just found this one to be good. I leveled endurance and vigor to 20 and now I'm putting everything in dexterity but I think reduvia scales with arcane and not dex. I like blood loss so any other dexterity weapon with blood loss and dex scaling? if that's even possible.

Pejo

I don't want to stick to daggers specifically, I just found this one to be good. I leveled endurance and vigor to 20 and now I'm putting everything in dexterity but I think reduvia scales with arcane and not dex. I like blood loss so any other dexterity weapon with blood loss and dex scaling? if that's even possible.
Well since you're still early, experiment with different weapon types and find one that clicks with you. Reduvia does scale with DEX, it's C scaling with DEX and B with ARC at max level, so DEX will contribute a non-inconsequential amount of damage to it. After you get so far in the game, you actually gain the ability to make any standard weapon into a Bleed weapon. It's more important to find something you like using, then make it fit your build with ashes of war or upgrades. That said, if you're happy with Daggers, Reduvia is great vs. anything that bleeds.

slade

All you guys playing as mages can never say 'git gud' to anyone ever again. All you're doing is playing the game's baby mode.

clem84

Gold Member
I have a few spirits I can summon but their FP requirement is way above what I have, like double. Is there a way in this game to get higher FP without necessarily grinding levels? An item you consume for example?

edit: nv found it.

Last edited:

Pejo

I have a few spirits I can summon but their FP requirement is way above what I have, like double. Is there a way in this game to get higher FP without necessarily grinding levels? An item you consume for example?
There are talismans and great runes. that raise max FP without dumping stats into MND.

Bartski

Gold Member
I'm close to respect, im interested in a build like this, if you kindly want to throw some leads and tips ( or maybe share a video) send me a PM
Current loadout and stats, it's all there if you pause, spoiler alert. Notice R Armament 1 damage post seppuku (821). I'm not even trying my hardest, like wearing the bleed buff mask or trying a dual seppuku powerstance... The secret boss of the area still one-shots me so I may think about that next but at the moment I finally explored this legacy dungeon thoroughly killing every enemy with relative ease.

In addition a fight with a random dragon.

SCB3

Ok fuck magic, you can be a glass cannon sure, but it’s making it harder generally

Back to blood build, dex/strength it is

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
There’s apparently over 10, I’ve found at least 3 so far

the big ball enemy in Narkan and the Ainsel River. They’re just big spheres. There are also a couple enemies that are in disguise around the world. They’ll turn into another monster and they’ll drop a Larval Tear upon defeat.

They should have left Radahn alone imo.
I can only imagine what the player data looks like on Froms end. Tons of players just have been leaving at that point, hence the patch.

Sgt.Asher

Any one have an ash of war leave your inventory? Bloodhound step is just gone, even on the weapon it was in

Edit: I had to dupe it, the original is gone though. First thing that pissed me off in this game

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

So I'm about to go into ng+, level 200 which is where I'm stopping. I have my build specced where I can swap between blasphemous and sacred relic sword depending on my mood or what the situation warrants.

I was using the starscourge greatswords which are great as well but the weapon art for its second function takes a bit too long to activate. Trying to help my wife get through her first playthrough but she struggles a bit as a mage, I feel she needs to either simply pump up her vigor or get more spells beyond comet azure and the more basic ones.

Still get disconnected in coop when joining my friends through password in some areas but not others, it's totally random, so yea thats still a thing.

Still loving the game, found out I was still missing around 6 hidden bosses, dafuq. So plenty of stuff to do even after 120 hours!

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Hidden walls that require dozens of hits to reveal is a game-changer and next level trolling from FROM. Imagine if all those messages with "hidden walls ahead" were telling the truth! Now imagine how much more trolling is going to take place 😂😂😂. Before Elden Ring even released I told my friend people were finding secrets in Bloodborne *years* after it released and given the open-world nature of this title combined with day/night cycle etc I expect there to be some *deeply* hidden secrets, exciting stuff.

so, I'm not really buying the whole "mage is easy mode" argument I'm seeing thrown around a lot.

I started an astrologer and maybe I'm missing something but, sure, the mage seems OP in some of the videos posted here. but those videos tend to show off how much DPS it can do it to a boss mob that doesn't move at the start of the fight, or a dragon before you aggro it.

99% of this game is spent outside of boss battles. most bosses can be cheesed with any melee build, so the fact that mages might have it easy against certain bosses doesn't really seem like a huge advantage to me.

this is coming from someone whose main character is 100% melee with no spells. have about 90 hours on this melee build and am around level 130. melee build lets me crank up endurance and vigor to the point where I can wear heavy armor, tank like crazy and roll non stop to avoid attacks. melee weapons do a SHIT load of damage, just like spells. except they don't rely on FP and you gain the ability to take a few hits too. my mage is so damn squishy.

just my 2 cents. a lot of the game, the mobs move and attack so quickly and aggressively, it is difficult to get the proper spacing needed to fire off a bunch of spells. not to mention all the battles that take place in very tight quarters.

edit: this is especially true for the comet azur spell videos people like to post when referencing magic builds that "break the game"

if the boss literally moves even slightly to the left or right, it stops working. which is what happens 9 times out of 10

Last edited:

ssringo

Gold Member
finished the academy, now i can respec.
question is, how rare is the item you need for it? right now i only have one
I have 12 after 70ish hours and up to a later game area (still have at least 2 more maps to pick up). Fairly thorough exploration but not exhaustive.

j0hnnix

I just got back on for a few , downloaded patch respeced back into arcane and took a stroll, rivers is so good now.. I pulled out the mimic and I honestly dont think it was a bad down grade he still tanky, not bad damage mostly with rivers of blood he disses it out.

Seems performance was somewhat improved on PS5.. I was playing on quality and while not 60fps all the way through it felt smoother. Maybe it's just me coming back after work week.

Matchew

I am playing a faith build is it worth pumping points into strength to use the Blasphemous Blade? Currently using the halo synthe and I love the long-range ability. Not sure its worth switching.

MadPanda

Banned
Well since you're still early, experiment with different weapon types and find one that clicks with you. Reduvia does scale with DEX, it's C scaling with DEX and B with ARC at max level, so DEX will contribute a non-inconsequential amount of damage to it. After you get so far in the game, you actually gain the ability to make any standard weapon into a Bleed weapon. It's more important to find something you like using, then make it fit your build with ashes of war or upgrades. That said, if you're happy with Daggers, Reduvia is great vs. anything that bleeds.

thanks a lot. I guess there're enough upgrade materials? I don't want to spend lots of upgrades on a weapon only to realize I like something else but can't upgrade it anymore.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I am playing a faith build is it worth pumping points into strength to use the Blasphemous Blade? Currently using the halo synthe and I love the long-range ability. Not sure its worth switching.

Everything in this game is subjective. To answer though, I've been using the blade ever since I got it, it's special skill can tear through enemies and when stuff dies you get life back. To be clear, you get life back no matter who or what gets the kill. Playing in co-op and someone else kills an enemy? Life back. Enemy kills an enemy? You get life back.

I have my strength at 17 + talisman that gives 5 for 22 STR, what I would suggest if you want to use it. 👍

Matchew

Everything in this game is subjective. To answer though, I've been using the blade ever since I got it, it's special skill can tear through enemies and when stuff dies you get life back. To be clear, you get life back no matter who or what gets the kill. Playing in co-op and someone else kills an enemy? Life back. Enemy kills an enemy? You get life back.

I have my strength at 17 + talisman that gives 5 for 22 STR, what I would suggest if you want to use it. 👍
Thanks for the reply. Does the ability take a lot of FP?

you mages rocking the jellyfish shield? Not sure if I want raise my strength to 14 to 2hand it for buff
I took it up to 20 to one hand it. It buffs weapon damage too so I mostly used it for that and kept the spells for large enemies. Unless they nerfed it. I finished my mage run just before that patch landed. Good thing too as I abused the hell out of hoarfrost stomp to kill the final boss. Fecker would'nt stay still for the comet of doom.

The_hunter

so, I'm not really buying the whole "mage is easy mode" argument I'm seeing thrown around a lot.

I started an astrologer and maybe I'm missing something but, sure, the mage seems OP in some of the videos posted here. but those videos tend to show off how much DPS it can do it to a boss mob that doesn't move at the start of the fight, or a dragon before you aggro it.

99% of this game is spent outside of boss battles. most bosses can be cheesed with any melee build, so the fact that mages might have it easy against certain bosses doesn't really seem like a huge advantage to me.

this is coming from someone whose main character is 100% melee with no spells. have about 90 hours on this melee build and am around level 130. melee build lets me crank up endurance and vigor to the point where I can wear heavy armor, tank like crazy and roll non stop to avoid attacks. melee weapons do a SHIT load of damage, just like spells. except they don't rely on FP and you gain the ability to take a few hits too. my mage is so damn squishy.

just my 2 cents. a lot of the game, the mobs move and attack so quickly and aggressively, it is difficult to get the proper spacing needed to fire off a bunch of spells. not to mention all the battles that take place in very tight quarters.

edit: this is especially true for the comet azur spell videos people like to post when referencing magic builds that "break the game"

if the boss literally moves even slightly to the left or right, it stops working. which is what happens 9 times out of 10
It's an rpg, so every play style will have some aspects that they exceed, and some aspects where they aren't very good. Definetly feels like part of the sorcerer fantasy to cast some giant spell end-game and do insane damage. As a sorcerer, I'm not very good in 1v1 pvp, since I have no armor on, it's also challenging to actually get the spells cast when the bosses are so fast. Without proper planning, you can also run out of FP, which can suck.

I also agree that sorcerers aren't easy mode, we just have different strengths and different weaknesses compared to melee users.

-------

Does anyone know how to get into the
lava volcano
area? I looked everywhere and can't seem to get in there. Do I have to join
volcano manor?

Last edited:
Top Bottom