• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

thanks a lot. I guess there're enough upgrade materials? I don't
It's an rpg, so every play style will have some aspects that they exceed, and some aspects where they aren't very good. Definetly feels like part of the sorcerer fantasy to cast some giant spell end-game and do insane damage. As a sorcerer, I'm not very good in 1v1 pvp, since I have no armor on, it's also challenging to actually get the spells cast when the bosses are so fast. Without proper planning, you can also run out of FP, which can suck.

I also agree that sorcerers aren't easy mode, we just have different strengths and different weaknesses compared to melee users.

-------

Does anyone know how to get into the
lava volcano
area? I looked everywhere and can't seem to get in there. Do I have to join
volcano manor?
there are a few ways to get there

You can get invited, although if you’re at atlus and she hasn’t approached you, I think you missed that opportunity

You can purposely get trapped there through the academy, but I would research that method before doing it as it can be kinda brutal

Lastly you can just ride your horse to it, takes a little bit of time but you can get there just by climbing mt gelmir

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Thanks for the reply. Does the ability take a lot of FP?

It's reasonable, again, all things being subjective. I can get 6 casts off my full mana bar, my MND stat is around 22 maybe, can't check at the moment. Skill is highly effective in PvE, even with bosses. PvP less so, easy to dodge, long charge-up though I've still managed to hit some invaders with it and instantly knock off more than half their life.

SCB3

ok, some things in this are really starting to piss me off, the aggressiveness of an enemy when you heal for example, its a slow process already but it seems like an enemy will specifically speed up and enrage when you do, it borders the line of unfair cause you cannot cancel out so you have to take the hit

Then you talk about some of the bullshit the bosses do

Twin Gargoyles - Not only do have to fight 2 of them, but they're fast, hit hard and from range, but also throw poison all over, ffs FromSoft, maybe calm that down a little bit

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
there are a few ways to get there

You can get invited, although if you’re at atlus and she hasn’t approached you, I think you missed that opportunity

You can purposely get trapped there through the academy, but I would research that method before doing it as it can be kinda brutal

Lastly you can just ride your horse to it, takes a little bit of time but you can get there just by climbing mt gelmir

did you quote me by mistake or you forgot to answer my question?

did you quote me by mistake or you forgot to answer my question?
I typed a response for you but I guess my phone messed up
Non spoilery answer, I wouldn’t worry about upgrade materials. New patch supposedly added a lot more for sale at NPCs, I’ve noticed a big difference on my newest play through

Slight spoiler answer
you can find items that let you buy an infinite amount of upgrade materials, except for the very final tier of upgrade materials.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I wish there was a way to get more somber smithing stones at higher levels. They gate their acquisition behind so many steps in most cases. Just let a brother or sister upgrade their gear more easily, From. Not everything needs to be some Herculean ordeal.

My first character is a faith + bleed build. Burst and all with heals and cures. Getting tired of how much it takes to upgrade new interesting gear, so I decided to make a mage. OK, so this is what easy mode is in this game - got it. Fuck me it is like 1000% easier as a mage, just staying out of range and casting. I am blowing through these early bosses without even needing to prep or think about it. Summon > spam ranged spells > drink a flask > spam more > dead. I cannot believe how much easier this is in comparison.

FunkMiller

After 95 hours, I’m done.

What a stunning achievement. Only really marred by an absolutely terrible final boss.

Other than that, a unique, expertly crafted game with the most addictive gameplay loop imaginable. Deserves every sale, and every award it’s inevitably going to get.

I’ve visited every location, beaten pretty much every boss, and completed at least two major NPC quest lines, so feel like I’ve really got a lot out of my time with the game. Only had to Google a few things, which is rare for these games, and surprisingly didn’t human summon once.

The only issue is finding something else even remotely on a par with it to play next. Maybe I’ll have a little break 😊

I wish there was a way to get more somber smithing stones at higher levels. They gate their acquisition behind so many steps in most cases. Just let a brother or sister upgrade their gear more easily, From. Not everything needs to be some Herculean ordeal.

My first character is a faith + bleed build. Burst and all with heals and cures. Getting tired of how much it takes to upgrade new interesting gear, so I decided to make a mage. OK, so this is what easy mode is in this game - got it. Fuck me it is like 1000% easier as a mage, just staying out of range and casting. I am blowing through these early bosses without even needing to prep or think about it. Summon > spam ranged spells > drink a flask > spam more > dead. I cannot believe how much easier this is in comparison.
I’m not finding mage significantly easier but I’m level 66 with 9 vigor…which is the starting vigor

If anyone sneezes towards me I die

Thought it would be fun to make a literal glass cannon

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I’m not finding mage significantly easier but I’m level 66 with 9 vigor…which is the starting vigor

If anyone sneezes towards me I die

Thought it would be fun to make a literal glass cannon

Mine is currently 15 so I can withstand a few hits, though I rarely get hit so it evens out.

SCB3

Finally made good progress on Ranni's Questline
Beating the Baleful Shadow
and my god is that a rough series of events to get through, but I'm near the end of it now I think, not sure if there is any further bosses to beat yet though

RafterXL

Honestly, I still think this is the greatest open world ever made and my favorite by far, but things change after the Capitol for the worse. It's like two seperate games, the first is virtually perfect in every way and the second wouldn't be in my top five From games. Maybe it's because by the time you get there you've seen 100 repeat bosses, another dragon, another tree spirit, another random mob that one shots at 50-60 Vigor or another instant affliction. It also doesn't help that progression, at that point, is one terrible area after the next and that NPCs and the quest stuff really start to die down at that point.

For all the complaining about Margit, that was a great fight. In fact, all the major bosses from the first 3/4 of the game are great fights. The stuff at end just doesn't hold up and the final boss is the most forgettable piece of shit in ANY From game.

They also need to do a serious pass on Rune drop scaling. It seemed like it ramped up area by area then peaked and then went back down the further you go, making fighting most mobs not worth the trouble near the end.

Anyway, I sound super negative but I started a new run right after the credits so I obviously still love the game. I wish the back half was as good as the first.

ok, some things in this are really starting to piss me off, the aggressiveness of an enemy when you heal for example, its a slow process already but it seems like an enemy will specifically speed up and enrage when you do, it borders the line of unfair cause you cannot cancel out so you have to take the hit

Then you talk about some of the bullshit the bosses do

Twin Gargoyles - Not only do have to fight 2 of them, but they're fast, hit hard and from range, but also throw poison all over, ffs FromSoft, maybe calm that down a little bit
Your spoiler has nothing on what later bosses do. I think that's why there are so many cheese, overpowered things in the game because From decided to make the later bosse all do cheese, overpowered moves. Difficult but fair went out the window in the later game and it all comes down to who abuses the mechanics the most, you or the boss.

After 95 hours, I’m done.

What a stunning achievement. Only really marred by an absolutely terrible final boss.
I think a lot of the later bosses are terrible, but it's definitely the worst.

The_hunter

I'm heartbroken. I just finished the
Sellen
questline. What a great quest. This game hits hard since it was my decisions that affected the outcome.

SCB3

Wait what happened? Did they patch something related to Radahn?
Nerfed him pretty hard imo, I was struggling a lot but he seemed beatable, after the patch I did it no issue, from what I saw:

• His Arrow no longer track
    [*]they also do half damage
    [*]increased his hitbox
    [*]has lower HP
    [*]does less damage to NPC Summons in the fight (seriously before he'd kill them pretty quick, then after the patch barely killed them, his 2nd half of the fight with the AOE attack also didn't kill them all like before)
I went back to the first area and did the dungeon there, Fringefolk Hero's Grave, that boss is no pushover even at level 67, I managed to get him first try but he damn near killed me before I even got a good look at him, if I'd have been my mage build I don't know if I could even make it here

FunkMiller

I think a lot of the later bosses are terrible, but it's definitely the worst.

It’s such a shame. This would easily be my favourite Souls game were it not for that frustrating, poorly thought out finale. I guess I expected more, given how they’ve stuck the landing so well in the past with Gwyn, Soul of cinder, moon presence and isshin.

Pretty much. I saw out the game with 70 int. Rest pumped into mind and vigor, as you’d expect. Dex down in the teens.
So far I’ve done 14 dex, 30 mind, everything else in intelligence

Might end up going with some vigor because at 9 vigor there’s literally zero room for error. Gonna see how far I can go and get away with it this low

jadefire66

Nerfed him pretty hard imo, I was struggling a lot but he seemed beatable, after the patch I did it no issue, from what I saw:

• His Arrow no longer track
    [*]they also do half damage
    [*]increased his hitbox
    [*]has lower HP
    [*]does less damage to NPC Summons in the fight (seriously before he'd kill them pretty quick, then after the patch barely killed them, his 2nd half of the fight with the AOE attack also didn't kill them all like before)
I went back to the first area and did the dungeon there, Fringefolk Hero's Grave, that boss is no pushover even at level 67, I managed to get him first try but he damn near killed me before I even got a good look at him, if I'd have been my mage build I don't know if I could even make it here

Ahh shit that SUCKS. He really didn't need a nerf lol. I was enjoying the fight as it was. The spell arrows should definitely one-shot people with low Vigor, since they're easy to dodge and all :/

FunkMiller

So far I’ve done 14 dex, 30 mind, everything else in intelligence

Might end up going with some vigor because at 9 vigor there’s literally zero room for error. Gonna see how far I can go and get away with it this low

Yeah, pump vigor a bit, and get a good shield. Later game likes to hit you hard with a lot of virtually unavoidable shit.

SCB3

Ahh shit that SUCKS. He really didn't need a nerf lol. I was enjoying the fight as it was. The spell arrows should definitely one-shot people with low Vigor, since they're easy to dodge and all :/
I agree, he was hard but kinda fit the theme of needing summons

I will argue that he should have been a end game boss more, it feels like that but he’s only the halfway point ish, he’s built up so well and it’s just the main boss of caelid tbh

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

** MILD SPOILERS AHEAD **
As you near the end of Elden Ring's story, you'll probably notice a large chunk of your map is still missing. That's because even after you beat the main story, there's still a whole other region to unlock and explore! Here's how to find and use the Haligtree Medallions that unlock the final secret region of Elden Ring.

00:00 - Intro
00:36 - Haligtree Medallion / Miquella's Haligtree overview
00:44 - Right Haligtree Medallion location
01:16 - Boss tips: Ensha of the Royal Remains
01:48 - How to Find Latenna Albinauric's location
02:05 - Mini Dungeon: Lakeside Crystal Cave
02:18 - Boss Guide: Bloodhound Knight
02:43 - Latenna Quest start
03:13 - Unlock the Mountaintops of the Giants
03:25 - Castle Sol Dungeon Overview
03:45 - Boss Guide: Commander Niall
04:52 - Left Haligtree Medallion Location
04:49 - How to Use the Secret Haligtree Medallion

Bartski

Gold Member
The secret boss Dragonlord Placidusax in Azula. OMFG that was difficult full melee NG+. All about just maneuvering a constant barrage of AOEs and a number of one-shot attacks, with perfect lock-on / lock-off... and some luck.

They seem to have fixed his 3rd phase where he could crash and stop attacking, happened to me in NG while I was playing caster with frost stomp...

Now at a 1/3 of his tens of thousands HP, he enters a mode where he bombs the whole arena with AOEs lightning, does a skydive attack that one-shots you at 45 VIG+morgott's great rune+full armor, so you have to see and roll through it amidst this chaos, lands and immediately follows that with a Midir-like double lazor attack that one-shots you even harder.
Unless you have a good shield on you ready and are lucky enough to be far away and get hit by it only once. Good luck rolling through that one.

Since your summons can't really dodge his AOE's your tankiest +10 Ash is almost guaranteed to be dead halfway through the fight.

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The secret boss Dragonlord Placidusax in Azula. OMFG that was difficult full melee NG+. All about just maneuvering a constant barrage of AOEs and a number of one-shot attacks, with perfect lock-on / lock-off... and some luck.

They seem to have fixed his 3rd phase where he could crash and stop attacking, happened to me in NG while I was playing caster with frost stomp...

Now at a 1/3 of his tens of thousands HP, he enters a mode where he bombs the whole arena with AOEs lightning, does a skydive attack that one-shots you at 45 VIG+morgott's great rune+full armor, so you have to see and roll through it amidst this chaos, lands and immediately follows that with a Midir-like double lazor attack that one-shots you even harder.
Unless you have a good shield on you ready and are lucky enough to be far away and get hit by it only once. Good luck rolling through that one.

Since your summons can't really dodge his AOE's your tankiest +10 Ash is almost guaranteed to be dead halfway through the fight.
Damn that sounds rough. Good thing I nuked him with Comet Azure before he got a chance to do all that.

Cyberpunkd

Want to respec to play as a magic user, soul level around 60, got Roger’s gear and Caria staff, how do you recommend I put attributes and what spells should I get (almost completely skipped buying any)?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Finally exploring DJ Caelid proper. Beat the festival after a few tries & currently getting scarlet rotten in Miyazaki's latest swamp feature.

i think i got burned out. haven't touched the game in the last couple days.

at first i loved the open world but i'm not so sure anymore. not that it's bad but it makes the game way too damn easy. the first few hours of the game were rough but i was quickly too powerful and i was killing bosses real fast. i thought alright once i get to margit and godrick i'm gonna get my shit pushed back in but nope.... defeated margit on 1st try and godrick on 2nd. so much for all the posts saying how difficult they were.

i'm in the lake area now and i was expecting more but the map is mostly empty space and the stuff that is there is just the same old stuff: copy + pasted catacombs/caves. the game feels slightly more difficult cause my uchigatana isn't cutting it anymore so i switched over to my bloodhound fang but i'm still destroying bosses.

i'll go back to the game but i've went from hooked on it to not wanting to play it. i've only fought one major boss and i'm already about the same play time as souls/bloodborne games. sekiro is about another 10 or so hours away but i don't think i'm going to be anywhere near done after another 10 hours. i know i haven't experienced the full game but i think it might be too big for its own good.

Last edited by a moderator:

GermanZepp

Current loadout and stats, it's all there if you pause, spoiler alert. Notice R Armament 1 damage post seppuku (821). I'm not even trying my hardest, like wearing the bleed buff mask or trying a dual seppuku powerstance... The secret boss of the area still one-shots me so I may think about that next but at the moment I finally explored this legacy dungeon thoroughly killing every enemy with relative ease.

In addition a fight with a random dragon.

Ok. I'm not sure if this build is going to work with me. You are lvl 171. I'm gonna start with the katana. I need to change the affinity of the weapon before upgrading it? Or is the same? Thanks in advance

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am going for a Faith/Strength build right now. ANy suggestions for best weapons in the early/mid/late? I want faith Incantations to be my main form of damage. I am still a LONG way from being able to respec, but I could be convinced to abandon Strength and focus on Dex if better weapons are available.

Gordon Freeman

Gold Member
Is this your first time playing a Souls game though? They're all like this.

I always chalked it up to a stylistic choice and because the world you inhabit is basically a purgatory of sorts. Like a fever dream. Yea it's confusing but I never took these games as inhabiting a functioning world like Skyrim, or other games, so the weird dialogue seemed fitting/intentional to me.

So? It’s horrible and antiquated. I’m not looking for busy cities or anything but the quest design is old and bad. The voice acting is horrible it’s not intentional or fitting? It’s just. Bad.

ARE YOU HERE FOR SPIRIT TUNING

It’s dreadful.

Bartski

Gold Member
Ok. I'm not sure if this build is going to work with me. You are lvl 171. I'm gonna start with the katana. I need to change the affinity of the weapon before upgrading it? Or is the same? Thanks in advance
You can freely swap affinities while applying Ash of War at any site of grace, but you need to find the right whiteblade to get the affinity option you want. Some of them are a bit late game. For occult scaling it's the Black Whiteblade, it's somewhere in Nokron city I don't remember exactly

Man ever since the update dropped Co-op doesn’t seem to be working correctly. I can’t summon anybody to my game, but I can be summoned to theirs. I’m not sure if it has to do with me playing on Series X while my friends are still on Xbone, but it’s a real bummer.

We’ve triple checked all the network settings and password stuff and I can’t figure out the issue.
9ibviAU.gif

MadPanda

Banned
I'm stuck on godrick. tried hum at lvl40 and got him to 1/4th of hp. later on leveled to 53 and never got past roughly half hp. the problem is I've explored most of the map, with only caelid left plus parts of river. I guess I just have to get good?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
So what’s the install size on PS5 for the disc versus download version? Trying to decide if it’s worth getting the physical edition to save space or if it won’t even matter.

Ulysses 31

Man ever since the update dropped Co-op doesn’t seem to be working correctly. I can’t summon anybody to my game, but I can be summoned to theirs. I’m not sure if it has to do with me playing on Series X while my friends are still on Xbone, but it’s a real bummer.

We’ve triple checked all the network settings and password stuff and I can’t figure out the issue.
9ibviAU.gif
nbDeqKi.gif

Sgt.Asher

I'm disappointed the secret boss weapon from the farum doesn't have faith scaling. It is pretty much the bolt of gransax with a different skill.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Currently stuck on Malenia.... that hp regen is just utter bullshit
In that fight I didn’t care how much health she gain, What I needed to do is build up bleed status, so she would lose good chuck of her health. I used fully upgrade Morgott's Cursed Sword which makes her bleed much more often.

Her biggest weakness is her Poise is much more lower than compare to other bosses. With some good R2 attack you can easily stun her.

Her most deadliest moves is Waterfowl Dance attack, the way I deal with it is if I had enough stamina block the fist wave then dodging the rest and remember you want to dodge forward.

Top Bottom