• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Majukun

it's strange why they didn't copy botw's ability to set up markers through binoculars, forcing you to open the map and try to gues the actual distance between you and your new target instead of just pointing at it, pressing a button and have a mark of interest on the map set.

TexMex

Can we sticky this thread so people will stop making a new thread for every fleeting thought about this game that happens to pass through their dome

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I don't know how I feel about nerfing.
They destroyed a lot of "in progress" builds. Made the game a bit more .... boring ?
By balancing everything out, it makes using one weapon over the other pointless.
And the bosses need nerfing if anything. Infinite stamina, super tiny attack windows, huge aoe spams.

And the frost stomp is useless now. It does so little damage now, there is absolutely no point using it. Even the lighting bolt ash of war des more damage and from a distance.
Nice to see they nerfed my mimic too... glad I wasted so many upgrade materials on it... as it is much much weaker now.

IMO they are removing the "stealth" difficulty options. Sure, this might push more people to try new builds and SOME nerfing had to happen but using open world mechanics and complex game mechanics to your advantage seemed fair.
Anyway - I hope they are not nerfing Ghizza wheel.. I switched to it as my main now and it seem pretty OP in some situations - nerf incoming ?

Last edited:

Valonquar

Now that I've platinumed Elden Ring & Horizon Forbidden West, I feel a great emptiness inside. There isn't anything nearly as good left for the rest of the year that jumps out at me. I spent the better part of an hour going through the PSN store looking for something that grabbed me and nothing was an instant buy or pre-order....I tried going back to old faithful FFXIV and just couldn't bring myself to cap tomes.... time to go touch grass for a while I guess :/

SCB3

They destroyed a lot of "in progress" builds. Made the game a bit more .... boring ?
By balancing everything out, it makes using one weapon over the other pointless.
And the bosses need nerfing if anything. Infinite stamina, super tiny attack windows, huge aoe spams.

And the frost stomp is useless now. It does so little damage now, there is absolutely no point using it. Even the lighting bolt ash of war des more damage and from a distance.
Nice to see they nerfed my mimic too... glad I wasted so many upgrade materials on it... as it is much much weaker now.

IMO they are removing the "stealth" difficulty options. Sure, this might push more people to try new builds and SOME nerfing had to happen but using open world mechanics and complex game mechanics to your advantage seemed fair.
Anyway - I hope they are not nerfing Ghizza wheel.. I switched to it as my main now and it seem pretty OP in some situations - nerf incoming ?
Is the mimic ash needed that hard though? I got it after the patch and even at +6 it can carry hard, especially in the smaller cave dungeons

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Now that I've platinumed Elden Ring & Horizon Forbidden West, I feel a great emptiness inside. There isn't anything nearly as good left for the rest of the year that jumps out at me. I spent the better part of an hour going through the PSN store looking for something that grabbed me and nothing was an instant buy or pre-order....I tried going back to old faithful FFXIV and just couldn't bring myself to cap tomes.... time to go touch grass for a while I guess :/
This is exactly how I felt in 2011 after Finishing Dark Souls 1... emptiness for months

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Is the mimic ash needed that hard though? I got it after the patch and even at +6 it can carry hard, especially in the smaller cave dungeons
It's still ok. Not a total waste but there are better spirits now.
I think spirit is essential for last few bosses. I never used it in caves or dungeons.

imsosleepy

omg.. I just spend so many hours trying to get the remembrance that gets you FP back when u kill enemies.. I finally got it but then I did not know how to use the skill. I equiped the item and used it and got the Runes.. And then realized I fucked up and did it all wrong omg... Now I used it wrong and dont have the item to get fp back when i kill enemies so fucking stupid fuck

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
is it normal that I'm 35-40 hours in and I barely have any armors? I miss fashion souls ;_:
Full armor sets just being found on the ground are a rarity in this game. If you see a humanoid character with an armor set that you think that you would like then odds are you can kill that character over and over and over again until they drop the full set.

I have about six different sets of armor that I farmed off of enemy's piece by piece.

The story is the best part of this game, reading the item descriptions and piecing it together is very fun. It actually has a great mythos this time around.
Having a good story isn't the same as good storytelling. One is about information and the other is about presentation. The issue here lies in presentation. To me, the top 3 souls games with story information to me are: Elden Ring, Bloodborne, and Dark Souls 2, however the top 3 souls games with story presentation are: Sekiro, Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls 1. I had an easier time figuring out most of what's going on by myself, without the help of a wiki or youtube channel, on Sekiro, Demon's Souls, and DS1. I can't say the same for Elden Ring, Bloodborne, and DS 2. For example I literally played Bloodborne thinking the story was about you being trapped within a nightmare and that the final goal, the (bad)ending, was you being able to finally wake up. I had to look up things online to see how wrong I was and also how much content I managed to miss.

Before anyone jumps on this post to defend, that doesn't make any of those games bad games, it just means their way of story presentation and pointing the player in a general direction is somewhat lacking.

Last edited:

SCB3

Having a good story isn't the same as good storytelling. One is about information and the other is about presentation. The issue here lies in presentation. To me, the top 3 souls games with story information to me are: Elden Ring, Bloodborne, and Dark Souls 2, however the top 3 souls games with story presentation are: Sekiro, Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls 1. I had an easier time figuring out most of what's going on by myself, without the help of a wiki or youtube channel, on Sekiro, Demon's Souls, and DS1. I can't say the same for Elden Ring, Bloodborne, and DS 2. For example I literally played Bloodborne thinking the story was about you being trapped within a nightmare and that the final goal, the (bad)ending, was you being able to finally wake up. I had to look up things online to see how wrong I was and also how much content I managed to miss.

Before anyone jumps on this post to defend, that doesn't make any of those games bad games, it just means their way of story presentation and pointing the player in a general direction is somewhat lacking.
Dark Souls 1 was really helped by youtube though, EpicnameBro's "From the Dark" Series for example of that that never really has been matched

Dark Souls 1 was really helped by youtube though, EpicnameBro's "From the Dark" Series for example of that that never really has been matched
Yes, but difference is that he enhanced what was already there for the most part. Whereas with Bloodborne, most people needed someone like him to fill in the blanks.

Swift_Star

Banned

Melee builds became trash after the patch. I lost the will to keep playing with my first character and restarted the game, now making a dex/int build which makes the game easier af.

MastAndo

So with the Millicent quest, did I miss something in the dialogue that would tell me she would end up in Altus Plateau after she says she is going on a journey?

So I completed this quest last night, but I'm not sure how that would have been possible without a guide. Did I miss something, or is the expectation that the player would only reach the next step in the quest by happening upon it accidentally? I even rewatched a quest walkthrough just now, and I'm still not seeing any indication or even a hint that she would end up in this obscure spot. How is anyone doing this without community help?...or is that the expectation?

Also, after 100 hours and beating almost all bosses, I finally had to legit cheese a boss (Mimic doesn't count as cheese to me);

The scarlet rot worm at the end of Millicent's quest is a legit piece of crap. I felt completely helpless against such an erratic boss with unpredictable movements, particularly given the confined area with scarlet rot everywhere. I had to resort to climbing back up the branch I came in on out of harm's way and firing countless arrows at it until it was dead.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Hit 62 hours. Radahn done. I need to clear up the rest of Nokron and Ainsel River. Made some headway on a lot of side quests. Still need the dectus medal.

SCB3

Yes, but difference is that he enhanced what was already there for the most part. Whereas with Bloodborne, most people needed someone like him to fill in the blanks.
Sorry, yea that was also my point, it needed a "Lore master" to guide players through, Destiny also suffered from this as well, like the games are expecting us to go offline and find and think about it

Freeman76

Coming up to 180 hours now about to tackle Lendell which I am assuming is the final castle.

Overall easily the best game i have played, full stop. Incredible experience from start to almost finish.

2 things that have bothered me:

The game seems at odds with itself over weapons. It gives you a huge array of cool shit to try out, but because upgrading can be costly, it doesnt feel easy to try new things out. I am still using a Lordsworn Straight Sword +20 which I found right at the start. I cant tell if a weapon will be better at +20 or not so never want to risk wasting stones.

Secondly, the ashes of war also suffer from the same issue. I picked up Bloody Slash very early on and havent found anything worth changing it for. It takes away the joy of discovering new shit when time and after time its another item i will never use.

All that aside, it's still #1

mansoor1980

Mimic +10, provided your mimic has a weapon that has a passive blood effect.
have a 10+ blood hounds fang and a 10+ golden halberd , tried both and the halberd staggers her easily however the fang with its blood loss seemed ineffective to me , will try again

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I am sad that as time goes on, I am able to help others less and less in multiplayer as people are pretty much done and just NG+'n it or PVP'n now. :(

I miss being the good guy out-leveled tank swooping in to save the day.

MastAndo

The game seems at odds with itself over weapons. It gives you a huge array of cool shit to try out, but because upgrading can be costly, it doesnt feel easy to try new things out. I am still using a Lordsworn Straight Sword +20 which I found right at the start. I cant tell if a weapon will be better at +20 or not so never want to risk wasting stones.
Once you acquire the bell bearings to give to the Twin Maidens so they sell (somber) smithing stones to you, it stops feeing costly. You basically have an infinite amount, if you have the runes (which also feel like they're in a very generous supply late game, especially if you're willing to farm them). I know that's not how everyone wants to play the game, but I felt the same way you did. Once I found a a bunch of bell bearings for smithing stones and knew they existed, I stopped going on a wild goose chase looking for spots to pick up stones here and there and just searched where to find the enemies/bosses that drop the bearings. Basically at this point, upgrading is no sweat, outside of getting special weapons to +10.

ssringo

Gold Member
Still love the game but god damn it becomes a slog of annoyance in the last quarter or so.

Malenia just drained the fun out the past few play sessions. The amount of bloodstains in her arena was ridiculous.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Doing coop with my best friend now. Almost immediately we were invaded by some guy apparently trying to spam bleed attacks.

I quickly filled the dark void in his heart with the harsh, terrible light of Our Lord. It was funny watching him bounce off my shield over and over. I guess he never looked up tank builds. Killed him with only taking about 25% health as my friend just watched and laughed.

Codes 208

FFnMw8f.png

Majukun

FINALLY grew out of my old gear...only got me about 50h to finally found something that justified the switch

yet my prisoner mask is still the best helm i have.

Saber

Kinda very sad now.

Max level 3 weapons and aquire a lot of smithing stone 8. But there was a energy problem in my street and my ps4 turn off. When it came back, the game used my old last save(from about 2 hours back), where I didn't smith my weapons, defeat enemies and collect smith stones.

The game use and abuse of auto-saves, how the fuck did I lost a 2 hour worth of progress? I even rested at a few graces during the gameplay(I lost 2 graces in the process as well). Gonna take a time from this game.

Hestar69

Second to last boss in this game

FUCK

YOU

Edit:beaten.... I cannot wait to see this last boss

Last edited:

Valonquar

Finished the game in 68 hours , everyone was talking about hoa tough Melania is , well I didn't even found her
There's hours of side dungeons that are HUGE that are easily missed. The sewers in the capital, and the entire area where Melania is the other. You have to get 2 halves of a medallion, and then go to a great lift and know to press right to choose "use secret medallion." to get there (or use a warp god knows where.)

Bartski

Gold Member
I haven't binged a game this hard since RDR2.

My idea was to play through NG+ as far as to beat all the hardest end game optional bosses I had problems with without any cheap tactics like hoarfrost stomp. Done. Find all missing ashes, talismans, incantations and spells. Done. Tons of +9/+24 weapons for every build imaginable, loved them all to bits but my evil arcane frenzy flame burned dark ninja might just be my no.1 favorite character I've ever made in any FROM game.

1yRmr38.jpg

I also think I need a break from gaming in general. Get my shit together IRL after over 3 weeks of nothing but Elden Ring.

Still boggles my mind how gigantic this game is.

Leaving Lands Between for now with almost 300 hours on the save, before the final series of fights NG+, and just tons of stuff left in the field. All waiting there for me with a stockpile of rocks and glowenvorts in the inventory to jump in re-learn the game whenever a DLC drops. Hopefully with a boss rush mode.

Hestar69

I can’t beat the last boss. Giving up for the night.
yup! right there with you! phase two is UTTER BS..What a terrible boss fight who ever put this in the game should be fired.

edit: If I could go back in time and kill Hitler or the person who made this boss i would kill this person 10/10 times..

fuck this boss i'm done for the night..the second phase is retarded.

Last edited:

The_hunter

Is the game timer broken in this game? On the character select screen it says I have 90 hours played, but on my playstation profile it says I have 65 hours played? Same thing happened with dark souls 3.

FunkMiller

I can’t beat the last boss. Giving up for the night.
yup! right there with you! phase two is UTTER BS..What a terrible boss fight who ever put this in the game should be fired.

edit: If I could go back in time and kill Hitler or the person who made this boss i would kill this person 10/10 times..

fuck this boss i'm done for the night..the second phase is retarded.
There’s a cheese strat you can use on first phase that means you don’t really have to fight it, if you get too fed up with it.

Last edited:

Elginer

This game is just sooo deep. It’s beautiful and scary and a pure joy to explore. There’s danger around every corner but it’s fun to see if you can survive.

Top Bottom