• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm hoping they nerf bleed against other players next. That shit is broken as hell in PvP.

Literally any other build to play against is fun, then you get a bleed (usually two katanas) player who only needs to hit you twice and you're basically dead.

Anyway, other than that my Greatshield only playthrough is tons of fun, and I've cleared all of Limgrave and Liurnia now as I make my way into Altus Plateau and Caelid.

SCB3

Cleared almost everything now up to Mt Gelmir, I'm near the top of there now, at Level 74 - The
Godskin Apostle
was actually really easy, I've seen a lot of people struggle here

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Was wandering a cave and ended up with the Moonveil Katana. I'm a mage, so it wasn't something I was looking for. Might hang on to it for a re-spec, or drop it to my son for his samurai.

I've been playing this character for over 30hrs with a helmet and I had totally forgotten I'm roleplaying Squidward.:messenger_grinning_sweat:
VgSwtSO.jpg

Last edited:

Raphael

Was wandering a cave and ended up with the Moonveil Katana. I'm a mage, so it wasn't something I was looking for. Might hang on to it for a re-spec, or drop it to my son for his samurai.

I've been playing this character for over 30hrs with a helmet and I had totally forgotten I'm roleplaying Squidward.:messenger_grinning_sweat:
Moonveil scales with int. I use it as a mage and its very good.

Mephisto40

Cleared almost everything now up to Mt Gelmir, I'm near the top of there now, at Level 74 - The
Godskin Apostle
was actually really easy, I've seen a lot of people struggle here

You may have been looking at another boss fight...

skneogaf

Can all bosses be killed with a sword as I'm struggling to even hit a few of them now?

It feels like the game wants me to reassign my level points to combat my problem.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Can all bosses be killed with a sword as I'm struggling to even hit a few of them now?

It feels like the game wants me to reassign my level points to combat my problem.

I definitely feel like there’s been an attempt to make players run balanced builds between melee and magic with this game. Looking at the scaling of a lot of the great weapons certainly would seem to indicate this. Pure melee feels like missing out on so many cool toys… more so than in any other souls game.

Dunno if this is old news but I've just noticed that the good old overkill bonus is in this game. I'm doing a little light rune farming in that late game area where you get to slaughter those chilling frog faced dudes. Base reward is 2044 runes. With gold scarab talisman it's 2452 and add in an overkill backstab it goes all the way up to 2943 per kill. Very nice as you can backstab all but one of those fools.

You need something that does serious damage of course for the bonus. I've got a +10 winged scythe doing 684 total damage plus I'm using the talisman that gives extra damage at full health.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I heard about this commander niall being a tough boss and i just defeated him first try because he was a pushover.

Were people aware that they can use the horse while fighting him to make the fight trivial??

Also defeated the 2 tree sentinels and got their huge gold shield, very nice.

The trio crystalians boss fucked me up...how do i suppose to beat them if i don't have an upgraded blunt weapon to fuck up their poise??

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Jumping attack and smack em on the head worked for me with a sword. Mage build I used that rock throwing spell.
Yeah but there are 3 of them, they smack my ass if i try something time wasting like a jump attack.

Shit, i don't even have a summon with a blunt weapon to soften them up.

I mean i have a couple but i din't have nearly enough PA to summon them.

Do people waste a lot of points on mind to summon these things uh...

P.s. the rotten dog summon is low-key great, a couples of bites to kick scarlet rot in and then i just have to stay alive and doing some small damage to see the bosses life bar slowly evaporate...

That summon plus the frozen needle with the non-consuming PA ranged attack to do damage from distance is the perfect cheap cheese tool.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Beat the game as melee with no summons, you should be able to beat everything with just a stick.

Pedro Motta

I use the Moonveil as my main as a mage, really good weapon, you should stick to it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I heard about this commander niall being a tough boss and i just defeated him first try because he was a pushover.

Were people aware that they can use the horse while fighting him to make the fight trivial??

That’s not the Niall fight you need to be concerned about.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have opened up most of the map and still haven’t even visited Raya Lucaria. I’m trying to get to Giant mountain to get more smithing upgrades. My question is if I defeat the Draconic Tree Sentinel guarding the entrance to the capital so I can get to Giant land will I break any quests?

Ps. I still get my ass handed to me by Greatshield Knights. I am their bitch no matter how high my level is. Those damn imps in the catacombs drive me crazy.

DragonNCM

If i have to find something to criticize the game for, is AI.
i don't know what a souls game with smart enemies would look like and play, but it really takes you out of the world you are in when enemies don't even react to follen comrades.

what did you do on his second form?
his attacks cover the entire arena
If they react like you are saying we will still do quests in Limgarave.......fighting 2 enemy's early is serious threat.

Roll? (in right time)

Bragr

Banned
Since there are so many more areas to gain experience in, players are reaching a lot higher levels than usually before they run into the hard bosses.

I have seen players I consider casual plow through end-level bosses. It's a good change, the open-world gives you more avenues to cut off the sharp edges of the game.

Orbital2060

the one in Caelid is piss easy but you'll see him again & good luck with that one
Yeah I had to leave that one, and try and come back later with a few more levels.

The only thing I got was using the scarlet rot dragon breath on them before they got too close and that ticked away nicely.. I might do it with some luck with spirit summons.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I am working through NOKRON now after getting back from Vacation. I beat the elder spirit on my first shot. I was a little miffed when it started healing itself, but then I was pissed when I saw it do it a second time. Now I got to go run along some rooftops and check out that area. When I fought my mimic I was pretty happy about it.

Zimmy68

That video that Protonion posted is dead on accurate.
I followed a guide to get the Comet Azure spell. Every video shows someone's character wrecking bosses and being so "OP".
I get it and the boss usually kills me before my animation to cast it is done or they casually walk outside the hit frames.

That video that Protonion posted is dead on accurate.
I followed a guide to get the Comet Azure spell. Every video shows someone's character wrecking bosses and being so "OP".
I get it and the boss usually kills me before my animation to cast it is done or they casually walk outside the hit frames.
It's extremely good or totally useless depending on timing. Still it does give you a chance to nuke almost any boss in 1 hit as long as it doesn't have a cut scene between stages and if you miss you can always just let the boss kill you and try again. Also extremely useful to cheese the final boss as you can run up next to stage one as soon as you spawn in and just stand there and set up the buffs then kill him (he wont move unless they patched that out lol) letting you take a full loadout of healing or whatever you want into stage 2.

The main problem with that build is how weak it is in general combat in late game areas. Painful.

Hestar69

There’s a cheese strat you can use on first phase that means you don’t really have to fight it, if you get too fed up with it.
I just saw the video on how to do it and lol wow... my problem isn't
Radagon of the Golden Order really, it's the Elden Beast. I've watched videos where he doesn't do half the moves he does with me and he just sits there for people..

I was really tired and not feeling good so I'm sure that didn't help. Hopefully I can beat him today though (still goty even with this ass boss)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I
have opened up most of the map and still haven’t even visited Raya Lucaria. I’m trying to get to Giant mountain to get more smithing upgrades. My question is if I defeat the Draconic Tree Sentinel guarding the entrance to the capital so I can get to Giant land will I break any quests?

Ps. I still get my ass handed to me by Greatshield Knights. I am their bitch no matter how high my level is. Those damn imps in the catacombs drive me crazy.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I
have opened up most of the map and still haven’t even visited Raya Lucaria. I’m trying to get to Giant mountain to get more smithing upgrades. My question is if I defeat the Draconic Tree Sentinel guarding the entrance to the capital so I can get to Giant land will I break any quests?

I don't think you can get to giant land without beating the capital main boss.

Aww quite sad when
Rogier died
. Also that Betrayal i saw coming but wanted to see what that person deal was about.

Looks like I cant complete a number of npc quests now. Invaders are not spawning where they are supposed to in Liurnia.

TintoConCasera

So tell me GAF, which were your favorite bossfights? For me,

I would say Malenia. It's hard, but it also feels fair since she has low poise and telegraphs all her attacks. The healing gimmick is the stuff of nightmares, and the second phase is Vietnam flashback inducing, but man, beating her up felt like the best thing in the game.

Also, I woud like to point to the Praetor Rykard one as the coolest in the game. Finally, a gimmick bossfight that's actually fun and challenging, while also being fucking spectacular.

Pejo

I'm sure there's a copious amount of Photoshop going on in this pic, but it's still really impressive. I couldn't even tell if it was art or a photo at first.

Bartski

Gold Member
So tell me GAF, which were your favorite bossfights? For me,

I would say Malenia. It's hard, but it also feels fair since she has low poise and telegraphs all her attacks. The healing gimmick is the stuff of nightmares, and the second phase is Vietnam flashback inducing, but man, beating her up felt like the best thing in the game.

Also, I woud like to point to the Praetor Rykard one as the coolest in the game. Finally, a gimmick bossfight that's actually fun and challenging, while also being fucking spectacular.
She's be up there if it wasn't for her instakill combo that, at least to me, makes the fight depend a bit too much on luck.

I think Godrick, but also the Grafted Scion is just FROM peak enemy design, amazing stuff. Both Radagon and Godfrey/Hoarrah Loux were just great at the final stretch.

Overall Radagon should have been the one, if it wasn't for the utter dogshit Elden Beast. Imagine if they made him an actual phase 2 akin to Isshin, what a wasted opportunity for a finale that this game deserved.

So if I had to choose one favorite boss fight that would actually be Morgott. Mainly due to the speed, the super aggressive, diverse but well telegraphed and parryable moveset and range. Simply FROM god-tier enemy design, difficult but fair.

Also I totally agree about Rykard, as far as gimmick/setpiece bosses are concerned that's another one among FROMsoft's very best.

I need a "reflections of strength" - like mode in this game where I can just practice against them freely trying different builds.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Love the game so far, but as usual I hate the concept of its online component. I tried for a few minutes and immediately switched back to offline. The entire atmosphere of the world is ruined by constant markers reminding me of other players and their inane comments or deaths, who wants that?

drotahorror

I got all achievements for boss kills with melee. Never cooped but did use the ash summons.

I went with wretched, so my progression went like this for weapons:

Club > Flail > Golden Halberd > Bloodhound Fang > Greatsword > respec'd and powerstanced Greatsword + Grafted Blade Greatsword > powerstanced Rotten Greataxe + Ghiza's Wheel. Beat game

I chunked every boss in the game when I went powerstance colossal swords/weapons. Jumping attack crapped on everything.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

She's be up there if it wasn't for her instakill combo that, at least to me, makes the fight depend a bit too much on luck.

I think Godrick, but also the Grafted Scion is just FROM peak enemy design, amazing stuff. Both Radagon and Godfrey/Hoarrah Loux were just great at the final stretch.

Overall Radagon should have been the one, if it wasn't for the utter dogshit Elden Beast. Imagine if they made him an actual phase 2 akin to Isshin, what a wasted opportunity for a finale that this game deserved.

So if I had to choose one favorite boss fight that would actually be Morgott. Mainly due to the speed, the super aggressive, diverse but well telegraphed and parryable moveset and range. Simply FROM god-tier enemy design, difficult but fair.

Also I totally agree about Rykard, as far as gimmick/setpiece bosses are concerned that's another one among FROMsoft's very best.

I need a "reflections of strength" - like mode in this game where I can just practice against them freely trying different builds.
Hey, Malenia's anime attack isn't that much dependant on luck. You have to block the first wave, then avoid the next two waves by rolling forward towards her just before she starts attacking again.

I agree on the final boss. Radagon is cool as fuck, in concept, in design, in music and as a fight, as his attacks are fair but also deadly and spectacular. So I don't know why they decided to throw all the epicness away for that Elden Beast thing... Yeah a lot of shit flying around, magic lasers and stuff, but nah, I would have prefered a Radagon phase 2 any day of the week.

Bartski

Gold Member
Hey, Malenia's anime attack isn't that much dependant on luck. You have to block the first wave, then avoid the next two waves by rolling forward towards her just before she starts attacking again.
I know and I can't :messenger_astonished: but it's not my fault, my power stancing ninja just hates shields. I can roll through it, just 1 in 5 times if I'm far enough. But yeah I've seen people doing that on youtube. Which is again something I'd love to practice more in a boss replay mode. There is no reason for FROM not to make one as free DLC, that worked so well in Sekiro.

Thank you whoever recommended using a shield against melania!!!! Beat her second try with a shield, first time using a shield in elden ring

Made a HUGE difference, for me and mimic

Who knew you could simply block all her BS
Havent met her yet but if Fromsoft design holds for humanoid bosses, she can be parried to high heaven.

Top Bottom