• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Gordon Freeman

Gold Member
Can you have multiple characters with their own save files on PS5?

I’m going to start Journey 2 soon but I also want to start a new character.

DeaDPo0L84

Can anyone drop/dupe white mask for me on PC? I killed the boss before realizing I should've obtained it before doing so and am locked out of it getting it.

DelireMan7

Game was buggy as hell tonight during PvP. Had my buddy unable to see invaders and invaders unable to see him. Even if they were connecting their hits, they couldn't do damage to each other. Had several invaders and Hunters just vanish instantly without any signs of lag or latency.

The biggest wtf moment was when an invader walked past me to duel my buddy and I instantly died from nothing.
Sounds like a normal PvP session in a Souls games to me. xD

Love this WTF online moments in Souls

SJRB

Gold Member
Quick question for everyone, I've heard you can change your gender in game, does that mean you can also change your appearance?

If so it's good to know you don't have to commit to one specific character at the very start.

Yes, you can change your appearance at any time once you reach a certain location very early on in the game.

Cyborg

Veterans of Elden Ring I call upon your a**

- what's the best build so far? I always play STR builds but want to try something different. Is Samurai class (blood build) good? Or should I start with magic or something else?

tassletine

Im done with this game..this last boss is the BIGGEST BULLSHIT IN GAMING HISTORY...Far as im concered I beat the game and palying something else..
I feel t the same way about ds1. After being bored for hours I now have to face Gwynn? Basically a man who just wails on you with his sword? I'd had enough.
I've never completed that game but played 3/4 of it through about five times now though.

From have a bit of a problem with their endgames in that they usually overstay their welcome, and are pretty drawn out.
I'm sure they're trying to make you feel exhausted, as the art style tends to replicate that, but it just feels a bit thin, like they couldn't be bothered.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I
have opened up most of the map and still haven’t even visited Raya Lucaria. I’m trying to get to Giant mountain to get more smithing upgrades. My question is if I defeat the Draconic Tree Sentinel guarding the entrance to the capital so I can get to Giant land will I break any quests?

Ps. I still get my ass handed to me by Greatshield Knights. I am their bitch no matter how high my level is. Those damn imps in the catacombs drive me crazy.
To answer this question, it doesn’t seem like I can enter the capital until I defeat more demigods as the entrance beyond the draconic tree sentinel is blocked with a seal. Bummer, I was hoping to try and get an early weapon to close to max.

I finished the game at 128 even killed Melina after the final boss , rivers of blood +10 and mimic +10 makes the game easy mode tbh
Mimic literally makes the game easier than easy mode of assassin's Creed tbh

Tomeru

I feel t the same way about ds1. After being bored for hours I now have to face Gwynn? Basically a man who just wails on you with his sword? I'd had enough.
I've never completed that game but played 3/4 of it through about five times now though.

From have a bit of a problem with their endgames in that they usually overstay their welcome, and are pretty drawn out.
I'm sure they're trying to make you feel exhausted, as the art style tends to replicate that, but it just feels a bit thin, like they couldn't be bothered.
What? Gwynn is 100 times better than that pokemon lizard and his dummy servant. He is also 100 times easier 😂

From doesnt have problems with end game, its just ER that is the exception. Come on now.

tassletine

What? Gwynn is 100 times better than that pokemon lizard and his dummy servant. He is also 100 times easier 😂

From doesnt have problems with end game, its just ER that is the exception. Come on now.
Apparently Gwynn can be parried easily, yes. I just thought the fight was cheap with no real dance to it. Not fun.
Bore me deliberately, then send in a cheap boss and you lose all my patience.

From definitely has a problem with end games (apart from Bloodborne).

The end of DS1 is practically unfinished, long areas of nothing.
Demon Souls IS literally unfinished.
DS2 is a mess (although I like it) and hard to judge any real standard. The DLC is superb but the actual end game is a drag with the memories stuff.
DS3 has more of a problem with the beginning of the game but damn, returning to a castle at the end with more humaniod enemies? Yawn.
Sekiro reuses too many assets to be interesting by the end. Long empty levels and the same boss yet again.

What I'm talking about is the way the art style progresses and what the game actually has to offer besides gameplay.
Almost all the titles feel like they were running out of ideas/steam by the end apart from Elden Ring which is the opposite.

But I think that's deliberate. Gwynn is alone with his pile of ash. The world literally goes down a plughole in ds3 in a big trash heap.
All the signs point to the world being over, reduced to ash/nothing. The game is telling me it's done and that what I'm doing is pointless, so I stop.
I care more about the game wasting my time than completing it. I've played all games multiple times but Bloodborne, Demons Souls, and DS3 are the only ones I've completed.

To answer this question, it doesn’t seem like I can enter the capital until I defeat more demigods as the entrance beyond the draconic tree sentinel is blocked with a seal. Bummer, I was hoping to try and get an early weapon to close to max.
You can get somber stones 1-9 really early if you want to. Guides to how available on youtube. Breaks the early game so up to you etc.

SJRB

Gold Member
once i explore the areas around the academy should i be going back to siofra and ainsel well areas before going into the academy?

Nah, Academy is de place to go.

Well you can do whatever you want of course, but Academy is the logical place to go when you're done exploring Liurnia.

finally got enough stones to upgrade some stuff. i can't wait to try out my upgraded bloodhound fang. got my kite shield and longbow to +8.

Nah, Academy is de place to go.

Well you can do whatever you want of course, but Academy is the logical place to go when you're done exploring Liurnia.
i got up to the gate today but don't know how i'm meant to get in. there was a cave to the west of it but i haven't explored that so hope that will get me in. still exploring though. haven't been to Caria Manor yet and still got a lot to explore on the east (everything past the artists shack).

Graciaus

Veterans of Elden Ring I call upon your a**

- what's the best build so far? I always play STR builds but want to try something different. Is Samurai class (blood build) good? Or should I start with magic or something else?
Bleed is the easiest way to play for a melee character imo. The starting samurai equipment I used the entire game. But people like to dual wield specific katanas for crazy bleed damage.

I tried magic and found it boring. Ended up changing stats a little and found sword of night and flame int build a lot of fun.

Interfectum

Finally beat Horizon 2 and have been able to truly jump into Elden Ring now. I think I'm about 10 hours in so far... game lives up to the hype. One thing that people don't gush about enough is the horse. I almost NEVER use mounts in games because of how annoying they are to control. Easily the best horse and that double jump is legit.

Zimmy68

finally got enough stones to upgrade some stuff. i can't wait to try out my upgraded bloodhound fang. got my kite shield and longbow to +8.

i got up to the gate today but don't know how i'm meant to get in. there was a cave to the west of it but i haven't explored that so hope that will get me in. still exploring though. haven't been to Caria Manor yet and still got a lot to explore on the east (everything past the artists shack).
There is a dragon near by (by a big rock outgrowth) . He is guarding the key to get inside. You can just rush in on the horse and grab it.

Orbital2060

Ive reached Crumbling Farum Azula at level 105 and I feel like Im a bit underlevelled but I dont know if there is a recommended level here? I can just tell from the amount of damage I take and also deal, that Im missing some levels. Anyway, great area and challenge. Got the dragon down and the grace site before the last boss there. Just wondering if I should go on a walkabout and invest in 20 more levels before carrying on.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You can get somber stones 1-9 really early if you want to. Guides to how available on youtube. Breaks the early game so up to you etc.
I’ve looked and have yet to find any beyond 5. I’ve looked hard. Show me.

Im also not really loooking for somber stones yet as I haven’t settled on a permanent weapon for my faith/quality.

Hestar69

you're probably gonna laugh,but the hardest boss for me on DS1 was the bell tower gargoyles..So much so, that I slammed my xbox 360 contrller on the ground and smashed it (never do that agai lol).Gymn was a little rough but he took me less than an hr to beat...Maybe I'm just getting old but this last boss has whooped my ass two days in a row now.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I’m watching FightinCowboys walkthrough and he advises against going north to Altus as it will lock out an early level boss in Caelid and it will be replaced with a higher level boss. Any idea which bosses he is talking about? I went north ASAP so I could see more of the map. I have only beaten Godrick. I have yet to even explore Raya Lucaria! I’m at level 65, but those damn knights with great shields are my bane.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I’m watching FightinCowboys walkthrough and he advises against going north to Altus as it will lock out an early level boss in Caelid and it will be replaced with a higher level boss. Any idea which bosses he is talking about? I went north ASAP so I could see more of the map. I have only beaten Godrick. I have yet to even explore Raya Lucaria! I’m at level 65, but those damn knights with great shields are my bane.
Forget walkthroughs and just play normally. Go to Raya and then try to go to other interesting locations in the Limgrave and Liturnia areas. Then Caelid.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Forget walkthroughs and just play normally. Go to Raya and then try to go to other interesting locations in the Limgrave and Liturnia areas. Then Caelid.
I’ll play it how I want to play it. I’m shaking things up enough such that my experience is my own. If someone can answer the question I’d be grateful.

SCB3

Does he mean Redgrave Castle? You can miss the Dungeon there I think if you do the Decus Lift before killing Radahn. Don't quote me on that

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Does he mean Redgrave Castle? You can miss the Dungeon there I think if you do the Decus Lift before killing Radahn. Don't quote me on that
I have no idea what he means , but I’ve already used the lift. I was surprised at how easy (and random) it was to get the two seals. I’d have expected they would have made it such that you needed to beat bosses to acquire them, but no you get them in rather easy to reach locations. A completely unleveled character can get to Altus without defeating a single enemy.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I’ll play it how I want to play it. I’m shaking things up enough such that my experience is my own. If someone can answer the question I’d be grateful.
There is a boss fight before the Radahn one which you can skip if you use the Dectus lift.

Misbegotten Warrior + Crucible Knight. Don't think they drop anything useful.

Cracklox

200 odd hours logged over 5 characters, all between level 55 and 80 odd, and none of them have even entered the Capital yet. Two are in Volcano Manor, and the other 3 not far behind. Not sure who I'll take to the end first but I'm really digging my claws build at the moment. But I thought the same thing about my ungabunga dual collosal weapon strength build a week back too, but he's been kind of put on hold.

Amazing game and nowhere near sick of it despite basically living and breathing it for the last few weeks. Also, its an alt-aholics delight with all the different weapons and playstyles on offer

I have no idea what he means , but I’ve already used the lift. I was surprised at how easy (and random) it was to get the two seals. I’d have expected they would have made it such that you needed to beat bosses to acquire them, but no you get them in rather easy to reach locations. A completely unleveled character can get to Altus without defeating a single enemy.

See, I don't mind that design. A couple of my characters have rushed to the Plateau to get some weapons that have made the early going much more fun.

near

Gold Member
Can you duplicate remembrances you haven't used from your first playthrough in NG+ or do you have to beat that boss again to be able to do so? Also do I retain key items related to quests in my inventory if I never used them in my first playthrough? Just finishing everything up before I progress to NG+.

Swift_Star

Banned
Love the game so far, but as usual I hate the concept of its online component. I tried for a few minutes and immediately switched back to offline. The entire atmosphere of the world is ruined by constant markers reminding me of other players and their inane comments or deaths, who wants that?
Everyone? I really love that part of the game. Specially love seeing how people died stupidly.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Everyone? I really love that part of the game. Specially love seeing how people died stupidly.
I’m at the point where Im more annoyed than happy. Seeing other players have in several instances affected my ADD and I’ll end up getting distracted enough for an enemy to land a killing blow.

Oh shit, I almost forgot to mention this.

Over the weekend when I was doing coop with my buddy, we noticed some other summon signs showing up. We laughed cause the password we were using was so dumb and thought, "these guys must be cool if they're using such a stupid password."

I go to summon in my buddy and a few seconds later I see, ''CONFESS DEEZ NUT is being summoned into your game" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Not my friend. So effing funny. I managed to capture footage of it, need to share a screenshot at some point.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Love the game so far, but as usual I hate the concept of its online component. I tried for a few minutes and immediately switched back to offline. The entire atmosphere of the world is ruined by constant markers reminding me of other players and their inane comments or deaths, who wants that?
I get ya buddy, my playthrough was 100% offline for that same reason.

I might dive into the MP in future playthroughs, but for my first time in any From world I like to explore and discover it on my own.

MastAndo

I think I know the answer, but is there any way to duplicate a save on the XSX? I want to keep my character exploring the world after having beaten the main story, finding new areas and finishing off bosses I missed, but I'm also curious about NG+. I don't want to commit to it though, so I would love to have two saves of the same character.

I’ve looked and have yet to find any beyond 5. I’ve looked hard. Show me.

Im also not really loooking for somber stones yet as I haven’t settled on a permanent weapon for my faith/quality.
I doubt there is any way to get all of the regular stones for +24 early. You only need one of each somber stone to get a +9 special weapon at the start of the game though.

guide

As for a quality faith weapon you could use them on you could do a lot worse than the winged scythe which you can also pick up early. It's under the tombsward ruins on the weeping peninsula so you might already have it. Decent weapon. Great range, not too slow or heavy and it's art of war wrecks most tough world enemies. Just spam it till they die.

Bartski

Gold Member
wow, AOE heal incantations work as AOE attacks against revenant type enemies and immediately break their posture for crit, and turn heal over time into damage. So cool.

I knew about the gravity spell trick but the poison overload is also nice, I wonder if it works on other poison attack enemies. I'm making a poison faith/arcane build on my next respec whenever that is.

I bet the game is full of such unique ways to use magic that are yet to be discovered.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I doubt there is any way to get all of the regular stones for +24 early. You only need one of each somber stone to get a +9 special weapon at the start of the game though.

guide

As for a quality faith weapon you could use them on you could do a lot worse than the winged scythe which you can also pick up early. It's under the tombsward ruins on the weeping peninsula so you might already have it. Decent weapon. Great range, not too slow or heavy and it's art of war wrecks most tough world enemies. Just spam it till they die.

I have my Morningstar at +15 I’m hoping to get it a little higher.

Around 15 hours in and it slowly dawns on me that this might be one of the best games I have ever played.

To be honest I didn‘t really get the vibe of the game until I came to Stormveil Castle, the boss there destroyed me and I decided to go south instead and ended up on the Mourne section of the game. Then it just clicked. I was just randomly exploring East Limgrave to figure out what is my next area when I ended up below at Siofra River. Really? There is a whole other layer to the map? Wow… From really puts all other devs to shame in their output. Wonder hoe they manage to make such a huge game in this time frame when other struggle to make one not even half as big in double the time… Also, the exploration here is without equal.

What a game… Kinda wish weapon and armor drops where a bit better. Still running around with my original gear. Just now I found a shield that is better than the one I started with. Unbelievable… after 15 hours… damn…

Last edited:

Valt7786

Really petty thing I wish they'd add to these games is different stances when holding weapons, even if it depended on your stats. For whatever I reason I HATE the over the shoulder way of holding the greatsword. I know it's how one would probably realistically need to hold it but...it just doesn't look cool.
Especially when you see bosses hold them in one hand etc. There's one boss in particular I remember that held it out to his side as he walked towards you and that looked so much better, I wish we could do that.
2h'ing a katana looks goofy too.

SkylineRKR

I find Golden Parry to be quite effective against Crucible Knights. But 2 of those fucks is kind of pushing it.

you're probably gonna laugh,but the hardest boss for me on DS1 was the bell tower gargoyles..So much so, that I slammed my xbox 360 contrller on the ground and smashed it (never do that agai lol).Gymn was a little rough but he took me less than an hr to beat...Maybe I'm just getting old but this last boss has whooped my ass two days in a row now.

The bellfry gargoyles are annoying since its a 2 on 1 and you can fall off the roof. But with some upgrades on forehand you can kill the first one quite fast, one gargoyle is kinda trivial.

Gwyn is easy. You can easily parry his moves. I didn't think much of him. But DS1 bosses are very bad in general. If you play the game now its apparent. Lots of Stray Demon clones, stupid shit like the butterfly, pinwheel etc. They weren't attacking infinitely though, which is something FROM bosses tend to do since DS3. Personally I enjoy bosses like Fool's Idol a lot, they are more chill and require some thought.

Last edited:

RafterXL

I wish Sony would hurry up with VRR, I've got a caster run I started on PS5 that is on hold because it runs so terribly, and the PS4 just sacrifices too much graphically. After 150+ hours on XSX both of these versions feel damn near unplayable.

Can you duplicate remembrances you haven't used from your first playthrough in NG+ or do you have to beat that boss again to be able to do so? Also do I retain key items related to quests in my inventory if I never used them in my first playthrough? Just finishing everything up before I progress to NG+.
You can only duplicate Rememberences of the current playthrough. I'd use and duplicate any before moving to NG+. All key items are also deleted when moving to NG+.

If you want to farm a ton of Runes to stock up on mats for NG+, grab the Sacred Relic Sword from the Elden Rememberence, buff it to +9, and use its L2 to wipe out the entire road at the bird farming spot in one hit. Rinse, repeat.

GymWolf

Gold Member
So what is the deal with the white dragon with a red lightsaber that you encounter in the open world? i was fucking him up and he just vanished...

Ancient dragon Lansex was his name, or something similar.

Last edited:
So what is the deal with the white dragon that fire red thunders that you encounter in the open world? i was fucking him up and he just vanished...

I believe they show up later? I've run into I think 2 dragons that have disappeared at like half health or so. Not sure where they went.

SkylineRKR

So what is the deal with the white dragon with a red lightsaber that you encounter in the open world? i was fucking him up and he just vanished...

You'll be able to continue the fight later further into the area.

Top Bottom