• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Fools idol

Banned
the one time I happen to defect away from my pure caster build in a soulsborne game and it happens to be me missing out on some of the best magic and casting. Hilarious. I'm closing in on 80 hours total game time played and am still finding new NPC's and spells to learn. I haven't even looked at all the incantation stuff, the gravity or faith related things.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

thrashed malenia on 3rd attempt
used the following ................
veterans armor set
10+golden halberd
10+ mimic ash
also used opaline bubble tear+opaline hard tear in physik flask , a must for any melee character

Orbital2060

you can parry many of his attacks with it
Yeah Im gonna try and use it, but read online that its hard to get the timing right. But it would be cool to actually use it since its there. Had a few rounds with him last night and its a pretty tough fight for me. Level 108, feel kinda underlevelled.

Bartski

Gold Member
Yeah Im gonna try and use it, but read online that its hard to get the timing right. But it would be cool to actually use it since its there. Had a few rounds with him last night and its a pretty tough fight for me. Level 108, feel kinda underlevelled.
Yeah some of his heavy attacks make the sword light up, you can parry those. I'm absolutely shit at parrying in this game in general but you should try it, very satisfying if you can pull it off.

DanEON

Guys, I cant find the last Shabriri Grape to complete Hyetta's quest line. After exploring 100% of Liurnia I used a guide and the last one I need is the one that
drops from Edgar the Revenger, but I cant make him spawn. I did not complete the Irina quest. I gave the latter to Edgar, but I did not return to give him the sword. Now he is not in the castle and not with Irina (and she is dead). And I cant trigger hes invasion at Revenger's Shack. What should I do??

Orbital2060

Yeah some of his heavy attacks make the sword light up, you can parry those. I'm absolutely shit at parrying in this game in general but you should try it, very satisfying if you can pull it off.
Ive read your posts and wish I were as good as you 💯

Im gonna try and parry that mofo with it lol.

I totally cheesed the Draconian Tree Sentinel outside btw by running past him to outside the boss fog and exit the game (from menus) and then logging back in to use Poison Mist on his ass

053493e1-3a7a-4721-8d3mjqp.gif

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Solo'd Malenia after 5 attempts used to learn her general moveset and how best to avoid her OP attacks, my Confessor always gets the job done, Black Knife Tiche has battled by my side ever since I found her.
phase 2 was an absolutely spectacular visual/transition, fantastic boss battle overall

I am now nearing 170 hours clocked. I'd subtract 25 hours from helping a buddy in co-op and helping others kill bosses + blue ring is always active so I get summoned every once in a while to take out invaders as a Hunter. I know that even being as thorough as I've been I've missed a bunch of stuff, I'd like to think/hope the vast majority of Souls vets are playing like me, no guides, no rushing through, no bullshit, savouring every minute of the experience.

I found a secret that seems to have a drastic effect on what ending I'll get so a second playthrough will definitely be on the cards. The journey to plat will be long, challenging and *pure*. 🙏

PSA: current PSN issues are affecting online play.

Last edited:

SCB3

The more I play the more the theory I have of this being the original Vision for Dark Souls 2 is coming true, every little detail from the plot, the Giants to the way you upgrade the flasks, the large Continent world, the Underground sections, the Prisons and castles, the abundance of bosses

Maybe its because DS2 is my fav. souls game (and was my first) but there are so many similarities and improvements upon it

Last edited:

Orbital2060

I didn't bother, honestly. I had issues with the timing and kept getting shellacked.
Yeah thats the impression I got from reading a bit. Typical From to put an item like that in the game and then make it almost impossible to use. All that back and forth with Bernahl for this. Thanks, From ❤️‍🔥

Chiggs

Gold Member
The more I play the more the theory I have of this being the original Vision for Dark Souls 2 is coming true, every little detail from the plot, the Giants to the way you upgrade the flasks, the large Continent world, the Underground sections, the Prisons and castles, the abundance of bosses

Maybe its because DS2 is my fav. souls game (and was my first) but there are so many similarities and improvements upon it

I think there's probably a good chance you're at least partially right. I hope we get a Design Works book to confirm.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member

I posted a dozens of pages back that a friend and I agree that out of all FROM's games this past decade Elden Ring inherited most of it's DNA from DS2, happy to see others agree and Pate ftw 👌.

Cleared a lot more of the map today :D

Started from the church of vows and headed up the north west of the lake map. the guys with horns and firing arrows were pissing me off. went up to the black catacombs. that was too easy. killed the erdtree avatar. from the church of bellum i headed up towards the grand lift but turn around to head up to the area that was inaccesible from mausoleum/edtree area. the madness effect is fucking annoying :( it reminds me of the frenzy in bloodborne. fought a giant and went into a tower but i can't access it. i need a gesture. headed up the river to the ruin strewn village and got to the precipice but turned back. now i'm at the site of grace just before the kingsrealm ruins about to head up to the Caria Manor. I'll do that before heading back into the Academy.

found a new shield but i can't remember the name of it. i'm lvl 56 now :messenger_beaming:

i was just thinking today of how much it reminded me of Dark Souls 2. that game gets a lot of hate but i loved it. i'd say it's my favourite dark souls game too.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What are peoples thoughts on the Cipher Pata? It can ignore shields which I can see being a huge advantage against a Crucible Knight. Anyone tried this? I have no desire to invest in a weapon that might be crap.

Saber

What are peoples thoughts on the Cipher Pata? It can ignore shields which I can see being a huge advantage against a Crucible Knight. Anyone tried this? I have no desire to invest in a weapon that might be crap.

Does anything actually work well on Crucible Knights? Also, you mean specifically against the shielded one, because theres the spear version of it and can be equally annoying(if not worse).

They really need to have different icons for if you have clear a dungeon or ruin. It’s hard to keep track
i put a marker on any i find but haven't cleared. that way i know if there's a cave/catacomb that doesn't have a marker then i've done it already.

i use the building marker for caves/catacombs. the skull one for bosses i need to defeat. the person one for NPCs. the other i don't use except the sign one and i use that to mark areas i've not explored.

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.

I wholeheartedly agree. From the music, the brighter palette, the dark areas that require a torch or light, the overarching sense of adventure, the giants, the power stancing. There is so much DS2 influence in this game. Elden ring is definitely an amalgamation of all their games, but I can definitely see DS2 being one of the bigger influences.

It’s like Elden Ring is what Miyazaki imagined he wanted a Dark Souls 2 to be.

Mossybrew

All this talk about Radahn and I finally get to him, turns out he's just another chump that goes down on my first attempt. Yes I hear he was nerfed a bit and yes I'm almost certainly overleveled for him but I'll take an easy boss any day of the week. Anyway I decided I had to finally sit down with a guide to get through Ranni's quest, I'm glad I did, it clearly opens up areas you'd never see otherwise, called it a night when I got to the lake of Rot.

Oh, and finally got that damn Mimic summon. Got it up to +10 and even after the nerf this thing is clearly the best summon I've found so far.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I've been playing this game with a total blackout on information from others (no looking up how to do things, no reading what other people have done, no watching videos online, etc) , and it's fantastic. Every little discovery or new ability I gain is a complete surprise, and it feels like I'm fully on my own path with the direction I've taken my character and game. Good stuff. Forget completionism... just play and follow what interests you, and even if you miss an entire mechanic for a while that's fine (I have 0 summons, and I'm not going to look up where I missed it, because who cares? Next playthrough awaits).

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
I am on malaketh right now and I got the boss down to literally 1 hp and died!!!!! The agony! 10 attempts later and I can’t get near that again. Definitely the hardest boss of the game I’ve fought so far. Totally fair too, I’m just not getting all the attack timings down. I think this boss is one of the best in the game that I’ve fought.

GHG

All this talk about Radahn and I finally get to him, turns out he's just another chump that goes down on my first attempt. Yes I hear he was nerfed a bit and yes I'm almost certainly overleveled for him but I'll take an easy boss any day of the week. Anyway I decided I had to finally sit down with a guide to get through Ranni's quest, I'm glad I did, it clearly opens up areas you'd never see otherwise, called it a night when I got to the lake of Rot.

Oh, and finally got that damn Mimic summon. Got it up to +10 and even after the nerf this thing is clearly the best summon I've found so far.

Did Radhan first try last night as well. My dragon flame spells obliterated him but I didn't even feel bad about it considering everything I'd heard beforehand.

Orbital2060

Managed to clear this by using scarlet rot dragon breath + greatshield summon +10. Summoned the tanks first, and then ran around to find a spot from where I could hit all three in one bunch.

kevm3

I've been taking a break from Elden Rings and playing FF Origin instead. I feel like how the characters move and respond in that game would be more fitting to how the bosses are designed in Elden Ring. Your character in Elden Ring feel like Dark Souls 1, slow and deliberate while the enemies can be ultra fast with unlimited combos. IN FF Origins, you can move fast and everything is fairly responsive. The battle system is much more enjoyable in FF Origins, although Elden Ring's world is significantly better.

Just watching a youtube video of Crucible Knight reminds me of how annoying boss encounters are in the game with them having super range and very tiny attack windows

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Yes this game reminds me the most of DS2, also in terms of aesthetics. Its more colorful than the other Souls games, which DS2 also was. Also the need for light sources etc.

DS2 wasn't my top entry but it did a few things really right.

Bartski

Gold Member
I just realized I somehow failed to notice that Soreseal talismans I was playing most of NG+ with, both giving you a total of +40 levels in stat increase, are also increasing damage taken, on average 15% each!
Why were those end-game bosses constantly one-shoting me in full armor I wonder???
Watch out for that.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I just realized I somehow failed to notice that Soreseal talismans I was playing most of NG+ with, both giving you a total of +40 levels in stat increase, are also increasing damage taken, on average 15% each!
Why were those end-game bosses constantly one-shoting me in full armor I wonder???
Watch out for that.

Godskin Noble is the main reason I removed those talismans. In many situations, they're just not worth it.

Last edited:

Makariel

First time in Elden Ring that I beat a boss in the first attempt, Royal Knight Loretta wasn't as dangerous as she looked and was taken down quite quickly. But now I see myself more and more often dying with one hit, guess it's finally time to level up Vigor...

Watch out for that.
I know most people swear by it as being the best talisman in the game, but honestly I don't use it anymore on any of my builds

you get a flat increase in stats but also get a % increase in damage taken

IMO this means it becomes much less worth it to use it much later in the game. I ditched it on my dex/arcane build at around level 130

for my mage, I never used it. +5 in dex, str, etc. isn't a huge deal for a mage.

I can see it being great for a quality build or something that relies on many stats, but even then I'd probably get rid of it once I was a high enough level. once you hit the relevant softcaps without it, I see no reason to keep using it. especially given that is based on a % of damage taken

there are much better talisman in the game IMO for late levels

SCB3

Wanna know how you feel you're getting good

The Dragon there didn't even touch me

Cracklox

Its pretty great for faith characters, but short range. It basically has the blade of mercy moveset from Bloodborne, except it looks way better. Plus the sound they make swinging them around is reason alone to at least try them. Sounds a little like a lightsaber.

With that said, my Faith character was more designed as a caster so dual wielding it (the ONLY way) wasn't always convenient. Neither is pure holy damage all the time. I ditched it for the Black Knife when I found it, as its special is a ranged attack I spam, and it kind of wrecks shit with less stress.

Still, I miss using it, mostly for the awesome fashion, and sexy noises

Shifty

Does anyone else feel that the climax of Volcano Manor is the definitive way to handle fights with giant enemies in third-person melee?

Specifically, the Stormcaller-like weapon gimmick that grants you giant attack hitboxes against Rykard. If memory serves this is the first time they've given one of those weapons a full-fat moveset, kind of like 'serious mode' from the first Bayonetta where all of your attacks become wicked weaves during boss encounters.

Compare that to the Fire Giant fight that happens around the same-ish level range, and it's a world of difference; Fire Giant is a huge asspain because you're constantly nibbling at his achilles heel and have to unlock and pan the camera up to have any chance of seeing when an attack is coming. And that's to say nothing of the annoying hand hurtboxes + infinite stamina the fucker pulls out in phase 2.

I'd totally take a full game of 'tiny player with huge weapon versus huge boss'. Like Shadow of the Colossus but with more power fantasy.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What's the status on the PC version, performance wise, after patch 1.03.1? Did they fix all the issues?
It was always perfectly fine. Even at release. Slight stutter every now and then as I've seen my friend palying (I play on ps5).
Should never been such a big deal.
Anyway - hackers are the problem. not sure about the scale

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Does anyone else feel that the climax of Volcano Manor is the definitive way to handle fights with giant enemies in third-person melee?

Specifically, the Stormcaller-like weapon gimmick that grants you giant attack hitboxes against Rykard. If memory serves this is the first time they've given one of those weapons a full-fat moveset, kind of like 'serious mode' from the first Bayonetta where all of your attacks become wicked weaves during boss encounters.

Compare that to the Fire Giant fight that happens around the same-ish level range, and it's a world of difference; Fire Giant is a huge asspain because you're constantly nibbling at his achilles heel and have to unlock and pan the camera up to have any chance of seeing when an attack is coming. And that's to say nothing of the annoying hand hurtboxes + infinite stamina the fucker pulls out in phase 2.

I'd totally take a full game of 'tiny player with huge weapon versus huge boss'. Like Shadow of the Colossus but with more power fantasy.
Yep, loved that. One of my favorite boss fights in the game, be it in concept, execution and atmosphere.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its pretty great for faith characters, but short range. It basically has the blade of mercy moveset from Bloodborne, except it looks way better. Plus the sound they make swinging them around is reason alone to at least try them. Sounds a little like a lightsaber.

With that said, my Faith character was more designed as a caster so dual wielding it (the ONLY way) wasn't always convenient. Neither is pure holy damage all the time. I ditched it for the Black Knife when I found it, as its special is a ranged attack I spam, and it kind of wrecks shit with less stress.

Still, I miss using it, mostly for the awesome fashion, and sexy noises

Faith chars need Blasphemous Blade... its too good.

That and the single most stupidly overpowered spell in the game
Rotten Breath{/spoiler] which incredibly you can get pretty much at the start of the game so long as you have a bleed weapon to cheese Greyoll with.

Did Radhan first try last night as well. My dragon flame spells obliterated him but I didn't even feel bad about it considering everything I'd heard beforehand.
All this talk about Radahn and I finally get to him, turns out he's just another chump that goes down on my first attempt. Yes I hear he was nerfed a bit and yes I'm almost certainly overleveled for him but I'll take an easy boss any day of the week.
Unfortunately you two didn't get to experience the glorious insanity that was pre-nerf Radahn. I saw a stream of someone fighting him post-nerf and he seemed just as sluggish and as fair as early-game bosses. I do get why they nerfed him though, as I almost wanted to break a controller trying to win against him back then.

Has anyone tested XSX and PS5 edition framerate after the 1.05 patch? Is it finally fully stable?

Cracklox

Faith chars need Blasphemous Blade... its too good.

That and the single most stupidly overpowered spell in the game
Rotten Breath{/spoiler] which incredibly you can get pretty much at the start of the game so long as you have a bleed weapon to cheese Greyoll with.

My faith guys been on hold for a while, while I hit things with big hammers, pizza cutters etc. So I haven't got to the point where I can get the Blade yet. I'll def check it out though.

As for the spoiler, yeah I know all about that. Pre patch Radahn wouldn't be dead without it. Probably a few other bosses too

Finished
Eternal City
and got THAT summon that got nerfed. Its alright I suppose gonna need to test it on a boss. There is that chaos/ madness talisman I found in Liurnia that keeps enemies aggro to you. That one is fantastic in making sure ashes survive the fight. Squishy archer/ healer ashes are actually worth investing now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom