• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Ulysses 31

When memes are better at giving lore than the actual game... :messenger_winking_tongue:
9oyauygj83m81.png

Last edited:

Cracklox

wtf happened to Melina? she appeared early on in the game but i haven't seen her again in the last 40 hours. i was promised a waifu! :messenger_tears_of_joy: seriously though where is she?

She'll pop in again as you progress through the map. Also theres a few churches where you will have an option to talk to her while resting at the grace. As far as I can tell that's just lore stuff though

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
It's fun using Golden Vow as a really high faith user on noobs trying to beat early bosses. Makes them absurdly strong.

Aesius

Do greatshields (Fingerprint specifically) hold up vs late game bosses? Because right now post-Capital that shield is rendering the game nearly trivial in difficulty. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the late game boss attacks just melt right through it.

Ulysses 31

Do greatshields (Fingerprint specifically) hold up vs late game bosses? Because right now post-Capital that shield is rendering the game nearly trivial in difficulty. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the late game boss attacks just melt right through it.
I could tank full Radagon combo's with it while attacking with a great spear.

Didn't try on Malenia since I never got summoned there.

Matchew

Beat it at 76 hours and level 142. Overall the exploration and gameplay were fantastic. However, watching the ending I knew nothing about what was going on. The story and how it is told are terrible. The game is also way too long and probably should've ended at the capital the first time. Towards the end, I was just wanting the game to end. Can't see myself ever replying Elden Ring again, it was exhausting the last 15 hours.

clem84

Gold Member
Beat it at 76 hours and level 142. Overall the exploration and gameplay were fantastic. However, watching the ending I knew nothing about what was going on. The story and how it is told are terrible. The game is also way too long and probably should've ended at the capital the first time. Towards the end, I was just wanting the game to end. Can't see myself ever replying Elden Ring again, it was exhausting the last 15 hours.
Yeah. During my 100+ hours of gameplay so far I had no idea what was going on. I was basically just exploring the world because I had no idea what I was supposed to do. What's missing here is a menu option that lays out main plot points and objectives which you could review when you're not too sure where to go. To me this is the only major problem with the game. Outside of that it's pretty brilliant.

The_hunter

wtf happened to Melina? she appeared early on in the game but i haven't seen her again in the last 40 hours. i was promised a waifu! :messenger_tears_of_joy: seriously though where is she?
She shows up later, sometimes at graces you get the option to speak to her but rarely, keep an eye out for those.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Yeah. During my 100+ hours of gameplay so far I had no idea what was going on. I was basically just exploring the world because I had no idea what I was supposed to do. What's missing here is a menu option that lays out main plot points and objectives which you could review when you're not too sure where to go. To me this is the only major problem with the game. Outside of that it's pretty brilliant.
I think the slightly less than obvious reason why they added NPC map markers is to give the player a way to keep track of their names. This was my issue with it, there are so many characters that other characters refer to in questlines, let alone lore with key figures having names very similar to one another Godrik, Godfrey, Godwin, Melina, Melania, etc... this is btw most likely GRR Martin's doing, as a way to call characters of the same lineage, I think he said sth like this in an interview speaking about the game somewhere... So what happens is you get flooded with it earlier on, and it's easy to mix things up and a lot of the dialog comes across as confusing. For some time the plot made no sense to me 'cause I kept on mixing Godfrey with Godwin

Mossybrew

So is the Capital an actual bottleneck, like there's no way to go around, you really gotta slog through this shit to progress?

Saber

Honeslty, beating Maelia didn't felt accomplished to me. Not surprising though since they nerfed Raddan but not her.

Matchew

I think the slightly less than obvious reason why they added NPC map markers is to give the player a way to keep track of their names. This was my issue with it, there are so many characters that other characters refer to in questlines, let alone lore with key figures having names very similar to one another Godrik, Godfrey, Godwin, Melina, Melania, etc... this is btw most likely GRR Martin's doing, as a way to call characters of the same lineage, I think he said sth like this in an interview speaking about the game somewhere... So what happens is you get flooded with it earlier on, and it's easy to mix things up and a lot of the dialog comes across as confusing. For some time the plot made no sense to me 'cause I kept on mixing Godfrey with Godwin
Doesn't help that the dialog is also poor. NPCs talk like they are giving me one piece of a 500 piece puzzle. Just speak normally and tell me in a manner that is understandable without looking it up on Google.

FunkMiller

Welcome to Souls games.

There's two parts to playing a Souls game: playing the game & finding out what the hell it was about on YouTube.

YMMV as to whether you enjoy that or not.

The pacing of the game at the end is fairly poor.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Finally got a chance to play after a few days being busy. Beat Godefroy The Grafted and The Godskin Apostle. I had a harder time with Godefroy since you can't use summons. My rotten stray+5 kept Godskin distracted while I hit him with spells. Took another shot at Rennala and got dusted by the first attack of her 2nd phase trying to block it with a magic shield. I hate the process to get to that point. Maybe some other night.

i put the no skill ash on a shield but now i have a new shield but cant seem to use no skill on it. i cant parry for shit so thats no good and i dont want to have to two hand to use my sword ash

how do i fix it? do i need to duplicate? i tried thatbut need an item.

R6Rider

Gold Member
i put the no skill ash on a shield but now i have a new shield but cant seem to use no skill on it. i cant parry for shit so thats no good and i dont want to have to two hand to use my sword ash

how do i fix it? do i need to duplicate? i tried thatbut need an item.
Which shield are you trying to use the ash of war on?

FunkMiller

I'm literally having a tougher time here with these knights than many bosses in the game. Guess I have to adjust my tactics or something but spells seem to do fuck-all to them because they seem to always have that shield up.

Never be ashamed to run past ‘em! The capital can be a confusing layout, so a few exploratory suicide runs are a good way to map the place out a little better.

Doom85

When memes are better at giving lore than the actual game... :messenger_winking_tongue:
9oyauygj83m81.png

I dunno, the blind cancer patient/amputee who can still fight demigods sounds way more awesome to me. Don’t care if the latter has a fan club.

And yeah, he can one-shot you or your summons…and so can she….and so can most of the main bosses. Just means Blaidd and Alexander didn’t put enough points into Vigor. Not to mention the MC is obviously quite higher leveled when they fight her as opposed to back when they fought him. Also, Patches being one of the “strongest warriors”, hmm, dunno about that…..

Not to mention it was pointed out to me that he could have followed the rules and worked with her to overthrow all the others. But despite not being eligible, he just had to grab a shard and fucked over the entire world.

Also, the dude blocked stars from hitting the world (which apparently was just to oppose Ranni, who to me has the most sensible approach to fixing the world and is best girl, so got to deduct some points from him)…..which just means when he inevitably dies ALL the stars would hit the world which caused way more damage than if they had fallen one at a time naturally.

Uh Oh Oops GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Pejo

Any tips on where to go after the Academy? That manor perhaps? I'm around lvl 60, maybe less.
That's typically underground time, so you could go check out Siofra River. If you're following a certain quest, I'll see you in like 3 days at level 100.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
That's typically underground time, so you could go check out Siofra River. If you're following a certain quest, I'll see you in like 3 days at level 100.

Not sure if I'm following quests, and if I do I forgot about it =P But I've been there early on so I'll check it out, thanks.

i headed into siofra but seems i should've went to ainsel first. in siofra i can feel like the enemies are much tougher. i can probably push through siofra (i'm about half way i think) but maybe i should go do ainsel first.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
i headed into siofra but seems i should've went to ainsel first. in siofra i can feel like the enemies are much tougher. i can probably push through siofra (i'm about half way i think) but maybe i should go do ainsel first.

Where's ainsel?

tassletine

man just overlevel your self , i killed the duo on my first attempt , a massive health bar helps in this game especially with the difficulty spikes
That's what I had to do but it doesn't make it any less crap. I hate grinding, and this boss seemed to be there just to say "Well, you should respec / grind now".
It's stupid, perscriptive design, from a game that states You Can Play As You Want -- Basically now saying you can't, your build is useless and you have to cheese.

But I don't want to cheese, I want to react! That is the game I've been playing up until this point. One hit kills are bullshit, but I've seen the fat guy literally lock into his roll animation instantly and then I'm dead.
No options given if you're health bar isn't big enough.

I really dislike the final levels in Souls games, they're almost always full of crumbling bullshit design and reused humanoid enemies. When I get to the end of each of them all I can think of is starting again as most of them are just tedious. From are such great designers, but they almost always have cheap filler at the end.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I wonder why they decided to make fall damage so stupid in this game.

I've understood fall damage work this way:

Dark Souls:
0-5m: No fall damage
5-20m: You lose X% of your health
20+m: Death

Elden Ring:
0-16m: No fall damage
16-20m: You lose X% of your health
20+m: Death

The very small range where you can take fall damage without dying makes it feel like you usually either survive a fall completely unhurt or you just die instantly, which feels inconsistent even though it actually isn't. It just doesn't make as much intuitive sense as it did in Souls.

It also makes stuff like the talisman that negates fall damage pretty much pointless, because all it does is negate the damage taken between 16-20m, you still die instantly if you fall 20+m.

Very strange decision.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's stupid, perscriptive design, from a game that states You Can Play As You Want -- Basically now saying you can't, your build is useless and you have to cheese.
Possibly, but I would not be surprised to see a Sunhilegend video where he beats those bosses unlevelled 😂. I think the game saying you can play as you want does not mean that the way you might have chosen is not more difficult but still possible. I think sometimes this is a equality of opportunity vs expected equality of outcomes scenario too.

SCB3

That's what I had to do but it doesn't make it any less crap. I hate grinding, and this boss seemed to be there just to say "Well, you should respec / grind now".

But I don't want to cheese, I want to react! That is the game I've been playing up until this point. One hit kills are bullshit, but I've seen the fat guy literally lock into his roll animation instantly and then I'm dead.
No options given if you're health bar isn't big enough.

I really dislike the final levels in Souls games, they're almost always full of crumbling bullshit design and reused humanoid enemies. When I get to the end of each of them all I can think of is starting again as most of them are just tedious. From are such great designers, but they almost always have cheap filler at the end.
Bloodborne is the only exception, maybe DS3 as well

Top Bottom