• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

SCB3

How in the fuck are you supposed to beat Malekith? That 2nd phase is relentless and every. fucking. attack tracks the fuck out of you

This is just not fun to fight him

EDIT: It happened again! Onto the last bit I think

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
The entire Volcano Manor area was a much bigger dungeon than I was expecting and very satisfying to fully explore. Felt like Bloodborne 2 at times.

Shame I missed. IMO would be better clearing the dungeon the request from the Volcano Manor objective rather than hunting.

Fake

Gold Member
How in the fuck are you supposed to beat Malekith? That 2nd phase is relentless and every. fucking. attack tracks the fuck out of you

This is just not fun to fight him

EDIT: It happened again! Onto the last bit I think

You can get an item to easy some portion of battle (fight with the knight from the Volcano Manor, there is a route in this storm dragon area with lead you there).
The only opportunity was when he impale his sword into the ground after the big jump. IDK your playerstyle, but Nebula skills works pretty good with giant hitbox bosses.

The other choise is summon.

Last edited:

SCB3

You can get an item to easy some portion of battle (fight with the knight from the Volcano Manor, there is a route in this storm dragon area with lead you there).
The only opportunity was when he impale his sword into the ground after the big jump. IDK your playerstyle, but Nebula skills works pretty good with giant hitbox bosses.

The other choise is summon.
I'm using a Bloody Melee build, I did beat him, that second form is so fast though

Fake

Gold Member
I'm using a Bloody Melee build, I did beat him, that second form is so fast though

I came from Bloodborne, but I think some of the bosses inside Elden Ring was oriented around summons, maybe explain those tireless frequency paterns.

I beat him after 3 attempts, but my brother in other hand took ages.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
wait till you try to descend to the Frenzied Flame Proscription with 150k runes........................
5Q7j.gif

Cool story boys, let me know when you drop 297K in a treacherous swamp patrolled by diseased dogs and death birds 👌

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Finished it the other day, still reflecting on the story. Haven't been very much engaged with the NG+ but caught some things I missed before.

The lore of this game kills me, and I am not sure if I even followed it correctly. Let me see if I got it correct:

So there's a world with a magic thing known as the Elden Ring, which grants a woman, her husband, and their children immortality.

Then a parasitic, godlike plant invades the planet. It creates / animates pot men to store human dead to feed to the roots of its trees. In order for any living being to truly die they must now be fed to the trees. Otherwise they enter a state of undeath. This includes the demigod children of the queen.

So she shatters her ring effectively breaking how life and death functions on this world. She spares her childrens' souls being fed to the Erdtree by sacrificing herself. Now there is no death for anyone or anything. And without being fed the Erdtree dies.

So something which seems like the presence behind the tree summons those it once shunned, to return the order of the world in which people (and their souls) are continually fed to the trees. So depending upon what the player does, they either agree, or through some means, destroy this entire fucked up world and the trees with it.

Is that right? I feel like I missed so much either by skipping it, or being way too tired as I finished bosses in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

Well done, but in general I think the best strategy to beat him is to abuse his low poise and break his stance. Maybe using the item from Bernahl too, but I didnt figure out when to use it.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
So, did they change that dragon that gives 80k runes? I hit him 2 times maybe 3 and it died. I thought you had to sit there and hit it for ages. I wish I hadn't killed it cause now I can't farm the smaller dragons around it.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Man, I would legitimately watch a 1 hour compilation video of people dying in interesting and hilarious ways. This one was great:

So deserved by that third time. LMAO

I just got the full Cleanrot set. Time to change genders. It's so nice to be able to do that back and forth.

SCB3

I'll be honest, these last few bosses feel like playing with a kid that always one ups you, like oh I have a "+25 Bloody Uchi" "Yea well I cannot be staggered, fly around the arena and when you come close I teleport"

I love this game but some of these bosses really needed to be toned down a little, like Ragodan is hard enough without the fact that he can also teleport away, it's starting to be overkill at this point

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The real problem with the last boss is that there’s no rest between the fights and second phase is RNG BS.
They also went wayyyy overboard with landing AOE blasts. Literally no room for mistakes on so many bosses, one slip and if the direct impact doesn’t kill you, the following blast is sure to. Melee is a nightmare in this game unless your weapons can do a ton of damage in a single hit. I really don’t know how anyone can say there’s no trial and error in From games.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
My first couple of attempts with Malekith had me like:

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Then I let my Mimic Tear distract him to study his attacks and you know, he’s much better than most. He doesn’t spam combos that can range from 3 to 6-8 hits at his whim. He just hits like a truck and he has that damn AOE multi-slice attack, but he’s readable, which is more that can be said for most bosses, both bigger and smaller. Once I got his pattern down, I went from “enough of this shit” to “fuck, I can do it”.

SCB3

My first couple of attempts with Malekith had me like:

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Then I let my Mimic Tear distract him to study his attacks and you know, he’s much better than most. He doesn’t spam combos that can range from 3 to 6-8 hits at his whim. He just hits like a truck and he has that damn AOE multi-slice attack, but he’s readable, which is more that can be said for most bosses, both bigger and smaller. Once I got his pattern down, I went from “enough of this shit” to “fuck, I can do it”.
For me the bosses have far too much range compared to you, and they like to be a lot faster and dodge a lot, it creates this cat and mouse game where most of the fights are:

Run -> dodge -> 1 or 2 hits -> boss has a long combo -> repeat

If you have low stamina, you've lost so many opening by dodging, then take into account how aggressive enemies are when you heal or get out of range slight, the crucible knights for example are terrible and legit the hardest enemies to fight imo

I'm on the last boss now (skipped a side area or 2 completely that' I'll do later) and he doesn't seem too bad so far, a few attempts should get him down

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Malekith is easily one of the worst designed bosses. It feels like a boss that belongs on BB.
For me the bosses have far too much range compared to you, and they like to be a lot faster and dodge a lot, it creates this cat and mouse game where most of the fights are:

Run -> dodge -> 1 or 2 hits -> boss has a long combo -> repeat

If you have low stamina, you've lost so many opening by dodging, then take into account how aggressive enemies are when you heal or get out of range slight, the crucible knights for example are terrible and legit the hardest enemies to fight imo

I'm on the last boss now (skipped a side area or 2 completely that' I'll do later) and he doesn't seem too bad so far, a few attempts should get him down
Wait for this second phase...

SCB3

Well Ragadon maybe where I end this playthrough, I cannot seem to consistently keep up with him, the end parts of this game are a bit of a let down in terms of Boss bullshit tbh, its not fun its more annoying than anything, they have so much health, so many AoE, so much Poise and the aggressiveness is far too high to the point where just finding a small break to heal is hard work

Not only that, Summoning is broken here, there is no way the summon signs are being called that quick

4EZCOOLDART

Seanbaby and Brockway over at 1900hotdog.com put out a fantastic (comedy) article about Elden Ring today.

Seanbaby: No problem. When I come across a sounder or shrewdness of enemies, I use my small laser spell against them. I think it’s called Glintsparkle Fingerburst, but Sparkleblade Virginurge should work fine. Getting the drop on them is easy because Elden Ring creatures can only detect shapes four feet in front of them, and no noise at any range. Here’s where you have to be careful, though. After the first guy dies, the others will carefully and slowly decide to ignore it, giving you barely enough time to kill any number of others.

Ulysses 31

Well Ragadon maybe where I end this playthrough, I cannot seem to consistently keep up with him, the end parts of this game are a bit of a let down in terms of Boss bullshit tbh, its not fun its more annoying than anything, they have so much health, so many AoE, so much Poise and the aggressiveness is far too high to the point where just finding a small break to heal is hard work

Not only that, Summoning is broken here, there is no way the summon signs are being called that quick
Maybe look into doing optional bosses? :messenger_winking_tongue:

Shifty

The trick for the Raggitydiggitydagadon fight is to treat it like an RTS.

Keep building more pylons summoning more cooperators, upkeep that combat economy. Less chance of your MCV your ass getting crushed by the enemy superweapon if there's fodder on the field to distract him.

And the horse is a more viable hurtbox than the man himself.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I somehow missed the Siofra Aqueduct my first time through the game.

Annnd of course they put Crucible Fucks on the small bridges and walkways.

Pejo

So I just figured out that I fucked up getting every item in 1 playthrough and 1 NG+ because I screwed up Seluvis' questline and gave the potion to Gideon instead of either Nepheli or Dung Eater, so I won't get their respective spirit ashes in this playthrough.

I'm sure I missed other stuff in my first playthrough anyways since I'm only using guides for NPC quests that go cold, but that still stings a bit.

Also, why is Rennala seemingly the only remembrance you can't dupe at the mausoleums?

benno

From the site of grace in the small forest to the west, you follow the main road towards the lift of Dectus and basically curve around the mountain clockwise in a spiral pattern to the top.
yeah, that was it, thanks. Damn orange ball thingy , wish I'd stayed away now

ebevan91

Still haven't bought the game yet because I can't decide which platform to get it on. PC or PS5. I have a PS5 now that I could play it on but I'm also waiting on a 3070TI but it won't be here until next month :/

R6Rider

Gold Member
Still haven't bought the game yet because I can't decide which platform to get it on. PC or PS5. I have a PS5 now that I could play it on but I'm also waiting on a 3070TI but it won't be here until next month :/
Are you going to play with online enabled and do invasions and such?

I'd get the PS5 version unless you plan on playing with some mods.

ebevan91

Are you going to play with online enabled and do invasions and such?

I'd get the PS5 version unless you plan on playing with some mods.

I don't really mod that many PC games other than Bethesda games so probably not.

I've been leaning towards PS5 the whole time so I'll probably end up going with that. I've heard that optimization on PC isn't that great anyways.

Gordon Freeman

Gold Member

Just use rotten breath. Once each phase. Let your summon and the other summons for this boss fight help. Stay back if needed. Fight when you feel comfortable. Take your time.

Zimmy68

Why not all?
Got it on PS5 release week for $49. Wally World
PC - Green Man Gaming pre-release discount of $44.
XSX - VPN shenanigans $27 Argentina baby (just recently)!

PS5 is my favorite for its load times but would pick PC if I had to choose.
Gives you much more options if you want to mod, cheat engine, etc.

SCB3

Ok, after some tests, I full believe summoning is broken for me

I can be a summon
I can invade

but I cannot summon or be invaded

Gordon Freeman

Gold Member
Wrong boss, I'm talking about the end boss

Ohhhhh hahaha sorry. The names are so similar.

He was easy! If you can’t beat him you’re fucked as there is no checkpoint and it goes right into the actual end boss lol

So if you die at the actual final boss you’ll be back at Radagon to kill before you can do the last boss again.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Ok, after some tests, I full believe summoning is broken for me

I can be a summon
I can invade

but I cannot summon or be invaded
You're using the item to enable seeing summon signs right? Or are you seeing signs and they never summon after activating?

Also if you've beat an area boss, it won't let you summon.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Forget about summons, poise breaking and all that shit. Dude is perfectly beatable just by poking melee hits.

Stay close to him, avoid his attacks by rolling. Some of those attacks can be delayed, so you'll have to roll driven by your reflexes and not your muscle memory.

Also, roll smart. Try to roll in a direction that'll help you get closer to him instead of getting away.

Honestly just keep at it. Once you learn his attack patterns it's not a hard boss fight, much easier than Malenia or Mohg.

Edit: for the aoe attacks... Roll away from the simpler ones. For the attack that he does by jumping, staying in the air and then falling down doing a big aoe attack, you have to jump just right before he lands, as jumping to early wont get you out of the attack.

For the three in a row aoe attack (the one where a rune stays above his head) try to make some distance. This aoe attack doesn't cover all the aoe zone at once, but instead keeps advancing. Making some distance will help you avoid it by rolling, preferably forward iirc.

Last edited:
you'll be fine with either. apparently PS5 is better in that it doesn't have any performance issues (lol) and you are less likely to encounter cheaters.

i'm playing on PC and while there are some small stutters/fps drops it's nothing terrible the game runs fine 99% of the time. i've played all From Software games on PC (except bloodborne of course) and never had an issue with cheaters/hackers.

if you can wait then there's no harm in buying it for PC when your card comes. if you can't wait (why have you waited this long?) then PS5 will be fine too.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
About Mogh's design.

Am I the only one that sees a resemblance between him and A Link to the Past's Ganon? He even has a trident lol.

SCB3

You're using the item to enable seeing summon signs right? Or are you seeing signs and they never summon after activating?

Also if you've beat an area boss, it won't let you summon.
Yep using the fingers to see signs, the last patch caused the issue as I've seen them before

Forget about summons, poise breaking and all that shit. Dude is perfectly beatable just by poking melee hits.

Stay close to him, avoid his attacks by rolling. Some of those attacks can be delayed, so you'll have to roll driven by your reflexes and not your muscle memory.

Also, roll smart. Try to roll in a direction that'll help you get closer to him instead of getting away.

Honestly just keep at it. Once you learn his attack patterns it's not a hard boss fight, much easier than Malenia or Mohg.

Edit: for the aoe attacks... Roll away from the simpler ones. For the attack that he does by jumping, staying in the air and then falling down doing a big aoe attack, you have to jump just right before he lands, as jumping to early wont get you out of the attack.

For the three in a row aoe attack (the one where a rune stays above his head) try to make some distance. This aoe attack doesn't cover all the aoe zone at once, but instead keeps advancing. Making some distance will help you avoid it by rolling, preferably forward iirc.
Thanks for the tips, I am getting there, even got close to beating the Boss after once or twice.

However, I decided now is a good time to go visit some areas I'd missed, Castle Sol and Commander Niall was pretty easy at this point, down in a couple of attempts and now to the Haligtree, which from what I've seen is hell

EDIT: Alright the Dark Souls 2 Remake is still a thing, HORSE FUCK VALLEY is back is it? Great.......

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Fun fact:

Dark Souls veterans may have noticed this, but your character's running animation in Dark Souls 2 was different than the running animation he has in Dark Souls 1 and 3. His torso was a bit more straight in his running animation, and would give you the impression his hands and legs were the only things moving if you would look at him from the side as he was running.

Elden Ring uses more or less the same animation, albeit more refined.

Food for thought for the people who claim that Elden Ring is the true Dark Souls 2 that FROM envisioned all those years ago.

Pejo

Man, I really really miss cutting tails. Not that it was an especially grand mechanic, but it made some fights more dynamic - do you go for the kill or try to get that tail? I also like how it changed the fight sometimes in that their attacks would be less effective/shorter range etc. I realize that the sheer amount of content in Elden Ring kinda probably puts tail cuts low on the list, but I'd like it back in my ideal game.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I ran into a NPC invader I missed in my first playthrough. Something The Tarnish-Eater. I was busy running my way to a ladder so didn't even bother to see where she was at, but I figured she was someplace b-lining for me. I climb up a very long ladder, look down, and sure enough she's coming up after me.

Drink my wonderous flask, prepare myself for a fight, and wait. She gets to the top of the ladder, whips out her weapon, and proceeds to hop backwards off the mountain. I finally got that big ugly knife-sword I've seen people with.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I ran into a NPC invader I missed in my first playthrough. Something The Tarnish-Eater. I was busy running my way to a ladder so didn't even bother to see where she was at, but I figured she was someplace b-lining for me. I climb up a very long ladder, look down, and sure enough she's coming up after me.

Drink my wonderous flask, prepare myself for a fight, and wait. She gets to the top of the ladder, whips out her weapon, and proceeds to hop backwards off the mountain. I finally got that big ugly knife-sword I've seen people with.
Fucking Anastasia. She's always invading just to get her ass beat again.

It's like Team Rocket in Souls form.

Top Bottom