• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I did it.

This weapon vs. her for melee was one of the worst decisions. Don't do it.

Word up, good job.

I could not beat her without using a bleed shield along with the amulet to boost guarding, while using my winged scythe to also build up bleed and enjoy my various holy bonuses. Even then she took a ridiculously long time, and went down when I was out of potions and had a sliver of health.

FunkMiller

Are they joking with Malenia? Fuck me this may may the hardest boss I've ever had to fight

As is typical with me, I actually ended up having less trouble with Malenia than a couple of the other bosses (
Malekith and Placidusax
) She’s relatively easy to stun lock with the right build and weapon arts. Main thing is to be able to read and dodge her attacks enough so you don’t end up healing her right back up again. Bleed is your friend if you’re having difficulty.

Last edited:
i'm confused what to do next.

completed liurnia and went through both siofra and ainsel. i can see different parts of the maps but don't know how to access them. i've tried reading a guide but still can't make sense of it. apparently i need to progress ranni's quest and beat radagan. then there are other areas lake of rot and deeproot depths. i don't know wtf i'm meant to be doing now. should i just head to caelid?

Last edited by a moderator:
wtf

malenia heals herself with her attacks? that's fucked up lol

edit: i'm getting flash backs to fighting isshin watching this :messenger_loudly_crying:
edit: i better get practicing my parry :messenger_fearful:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Loving Farum Azula, the game keeps delivering, there are areas in the start, mid and endgame I dig in equal measure and it's bittersweet knowing I'm nearing the end. Smoked Godskin duo my first attempt solo. Got Dragon Lord solo on my 2nd attempt, first attempt I was already out of all healing flasks but had him down to 10% life anyway lol.

Don't know what some of these posts are on about regarding "needing" a guide to finish these sidequests. I saw Ranni's quest through to the end, no guide. Found the Three Fingers, no guide. Just concluded Alexander's quest in Farum Azula (great reward), no guide. Fia top to bottom (literally), no guide. Could go on and on. I'm sure I've missed some stuff, that's cool. I also inadvertently messed up the Volcano Manor quest by killing the area boss straight away, it's all good, something to look forward to in NG+. You don't have to be a Souls vet either, simply explore, use your brain and pay attention to player messages.👌

Halo Scythe became my new main weapon deep into the endgame, Blasphemous Blade served me very well ever since I got it but it was time for a change to close out this grand adventure. Love it's special which has proven highly effective in both PvE and PvP, it's become my main source of attack my many incantations be damned, good times.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Back on the subject of parry, turns out the parry ash Carian Retaliation could be another insanely broken way to steamroll through the game once you get it.

It transforms successfully parried magic attack into 3 glintblades that deal up to 3k damage, likely intended to make parrying magic a viable high risk - high reward strat.

The problem is you can "hack" it - parry your own spell casts with it, the easiest thing to do with Wraith calling bell. Press square to cast then immediately press L2 to load bazooka.

It is now the no.1 speedrun strat and once again it totally breaks PvP as the resulting attack is a one-shot kill, will likely get patched.

SCB3

As is typical with me, I actually ended up having less trouble with Malenia than a couple of the other bosses (
Malekith and Placidusax
) She’s relatively easy to stun lock with the right build and weapon arts. Main thing is to be able to read and dodge her attacks enough so you don’t end up healing her right back up again. Bleed is your friend if you’re having difficulty.
I am running a bleed build with Rivers of Blood and a decent amount of Arcane

SCB3

he's so close to finishing
1st phase melina

looking forward to the reaction

ENB is really one of the most disappointing content creators I've ever seen, after the incredible "From the Dark" he just didn't do anything of note and then rubs me the wrong way, he does come across as very pretentious

Last edited:
ENB is really one of the most disappointing content creators I've ever seen, after the incredible "From the Dark" he just didn't do anything of note and then rubs me the wrong way, he does come across as very pretentious
honestly never watched him before. only seen balls of snow balls of snow mention above he was live and i tuned in. enjoying watching the fight.

He definitely not feeling Fromsoft games as he used to. After quiting youtube I just stopped following him. Only sub back in to twitch for Elden Ring playthrough.

Last edited:

SCB3

I think I may actually be done, I'm stuck on

, Melenia and the Evergoal where you get Black Knigh Tiche

Cannot do any of them after hours of trying this weekend
Maybe take that back, Elden Beast Slain
Think I fucked up the ending save scum though, accidently summoned Ranni before sitting at the grace site

Last edited:

tassletine

Possibly, but I would not be surprised to see a Sunhilegend video where he beats those bosses unlevelled 😂. I think the game saying you can play as you want does not mean that the way you might have chosen is not more difficult but still possible. I think sometimes this is a equality of opportunity vs expected equality of outcomes scenario too.
I'm not saying it's not possible to beat, I imagine it would be, they are just hugely unbalanced for the level they are in.

My method of play shouldn't be -- Everything is going great until one of the final bosses.
I then have to bore myself rigid for an hour grinding just to get in the room with them. An hour of grinding before I can even get to endure their clipping bullshit.

Whilst From have outodone themselves with the monster designs here, a great deal of the bosses are pretty badly balanced and I think From need to up their game there.
Instead of coming up with new gameplay mechanics, they've alleviated some poor fights by having summons being always optional, and having things like the shackles etc.
It feels unrefined and more like playing Mario Kart sometimes.

SCB3

For anyone interested, my stats for the last boss, take away the 3 levels I put in Arcane after this btw, I levelled it up 3 times with the Runes I got
FO3GtEfX0AANw9R

Also, this armor set is gorgeous, I wish you could dye them, I'd make this all black or Blood Red if I could:

FO3GyQ8WUAkWyv2

SCB3

I'm not saying it's not possible to beat, I imagine it would be, they are just hugely unbalanced for the level they are in.

My method of play shouldn't be -- Everything is going great until one of the final bosses.
I then have to bore myself rigid for an hour grinding just to get in the room with them. An hour of grinding before I can even get to endure their clipping bullshit.

Whilst From have outodone themselves with the monster designs here, a great deal of the bosses are pretty badly balanced and I think From need to up their game there.
Instead of coming up with new gameplay mechanics, they've alleviated some poor fights by having summons being always optional, and having things like the shackles etc.
It feels unrefined and more like playing Mario Kart sometimes.
I mentioned earlier that they do feel like playing with a kid that always has to one up you, for the sake of balance there are a few bosses I'd personally nerf, not be HP but by one or 2 moves/combos and maybe tone their aggressiveness down a bit

A perfect example is Melenia, healing on hits is fine as a mechanic on a boss, but not a boss that is always super fast and hard to deal with anyway, it's just overkill.

Another is a dragon I saw on a stream yesterday, its at the end of the Fia quest, it constantly spams this red lightning at you, so you can only do 1 or 2 hits before rolling as if you don't you get massive damage against you, get knocked over and the Dragon will then attack you again, getting your bearings after that is rough

You're right though, you do learn to play it their way, but you should be able to play it yours, how many people in this OT have asked the same question "Can you play this game completely Melee?" and my answer is YES, I did it myself, but its harder than Ranged builds

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Just hit a hundred hours. Still tons of content left for me to explore as far as I can tell, but.... I'm getting a little sick of the bugs. Last night I couldn't get the twin gargoyle bosses in Nokron to spawn on the ground, the first one would stay up on the cliff. This isn't the only boss to have issues. Rennala also wouldn't spawn properly and Radahn didn't use half his attacks for some reason. I am constantly getting errors when I use any of the multiplayer features and feel like some of the NPCs are still broken on the latest patch. So far the only positive thing I've seen patched is the shotal death blight fire bug invaders were using.

I really like the game, but the open world is actually really boring. It's just one of the great level designs flattened out too much with the content repeated too often. Enemies can't follow you very far without teleporting back to their area. Interaction with the world is really limited. There are countless areas with nothing of interest. It's great that the game is much less linear than the other FROM titles, but that is where the benefits stop for me. I do like the variety of gear and spells, but it feels less viable to do any build that doesn't have a healthy dose of magic with it.

I can already tell I'm less likely to replay this title to completion, which is a depressing feeling. I have played through all the previous Miyazaki FROM titles at least 3 times (except Sekiro.... Yet!). IDK, maybe just a little fatigued at the moment.

Urban

Hey boys!

Did they fix the PS5 framerate to be locked 60fps? Or is still the only way for locked 60fps to play the PS4 version on PS5 with BC?

tassletine

I mentioned earlier that they do feel like playing with a kid that always has to one up you, for the sake of balance there are a few bosses I'd personally nerf, not be HP but by one or 2 moves/combos and maybe tone their aggressiveness down a bit

A perfect example is Melenia, healing on hits is fine as a mechanic on a boss, but not a boss that is always super fast and hard to deal with anyway, it's just overkill.

Another is a dragon I saw on a stream yesterday, its at the end of the Fia quest, it constantly spams this red lightning at you, so you can only do 1 or 2 hits before rolling as if you don't you get massive damage against you, get knocked over and the Dragon will then attack you again, getting your bearings after that is rough

You're right though, you do learn to play it their way, but you should be able to play it yours, how many people in this OT have asked the same question "Can you play this game completely Melee?" and my answer is YES, I did it myself, but its harder than Ranged builds
That dragon isn't very tough. It behaves much the same as the rest and by that time you should have enough medallions to help. I say that as a completely overlevelled character though, right at the end.
The Godskins have kind of ruined the game for me, in more ways than one as everything is now pretty easy.

I feel like a lot of the bosses are either easy at the right level or you just bounce off them until you get to that level.
I suspect there are some shenanegins going on behind the scenes coding wise to keep the game balanced -- Much like the fact that bosses are always at "Neutral" difficulty first time you fight them in Souls games.
I've certainly never been one shotted this many times in a game before and I've seen a lot of similar videos now, most of which seem completely unfair.

G-Bus

Banned
Been wondering around a bit aimlessly since taking out Rinnala. Wondered the Atlus plateau for a bit but think I'm a little under leveled for the capitol.

Went back and took out the Magma Wyrm And respecced for moonveil. Big mistake. Back to my bloody slash I'm thinking.

Decided to give Radahn a go. He's... Not too bad? Only did a handful of attempts but got him down to 50% pretty consistently. Think I read somewhere he got nerfed though? Probably get him tonight.

R6Rider

Gold Member
i have a kite shield with no skill and i found a blue crest heater. i levelled it up but want to use no skill. i dont know how. i went back to the guy who sells ashes but seems he only sells one of each.
Generally you need to use Ashes of War duplication and then you can use the skill on another armament without needing to remove it from another. Unless that shield for some reason can have a different Ash of War.

Top Bottom