• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

After 90 hours I'm just barely exploring Caelid. I bet Dragonbarrow would have made a beautiful place to explore before the scarlet rot. You can see remnants of what looks like a primeval forest... DLC maybe?

Just finished the game and like I've stated in another thread, I'll agree with the criticism that the last 30% of the game(last 3ish areas) has a difficulty spike that is just a bit too extreme for melee-type players. To clarify, I'm not speaking about any character's moveset, but the fact that they do 60-70% lifebar damage per hit regardless of how much you put into vigor(I had almost 2000 health pre-rune arc usage). Bloodhound Step became extremely crucial for the influx of aggressive, Sekiro-like bosses that they make you fight in the later portions of the game. Thankfully no one was as exhaustingly difficult as Sekiro's Isshin, but there was one boss who does hard hitting combos a bit too long and another boss who was an extremely aggressive grappler boss who could have been way worse if his second phase came with a full healthbar. There were too many bosses however where I had to play at absolute near perfection or else it was over in 2 hits and I was dead on the floor.

After taking a step back to think about it, my rankings are as follows:

1)Bloodborne
2)Demon's Souls Remake/Original
3)Dark Souls 1
4)Elden Ring
5)Sekiro
6)Dark Souls 2
7)Dark Souls 3

Elden Ring is a fantastic game, however, if they want to continue putting Bloodborne and Sekiro-style bosses and enemies into a Dark Souls-style game, then they need to add systems to account for this that isn't just magic or overpowered boss weapons. Maybe put a crossbow in that acts like a BB shotgun or give katanas an exclusive Sekiro-style parry ability to make up for this. Right now it just seems like bosses are becoming more and more fluid and wild in movement options, and we're left with the same stiff sword swings and shield movement we've gotten used to since Demon's Souls(original) with one small additional special move given to us like a bone to a dog.

My one other small issue is that the game simply felt a bit too long. This is subjective since you don't need to complete everything, but I can list out areas I would have cut or condensed for a more refined experience for completionists. I would have condensed most of Weeping Peninsula into Limgrave, including Castle Morne staying coastal, instead of making it a separate landmass with barely anything of note on it. I would have condensed the second half of the snow area(the area you can miss out on) and just put it as part of the mountaintops of the giants. I would have also combined Caelid and Mt. Gelmir(Volcano area) into one landmass. Lastly I would have combined Siofra, Nokstella, and Nokron into one big area as well(that you would simply unlock after Radahn), instead of making them all separate pieces that you have to travel to and from. This reduces the map to 6 big crucial landmasses(Liurnia, The Weeping-Limgrave Peninsula, Mt. Caelid-Gelmir, Nokron-Siofra, Mountaintops of the Giants, and Altus Plateau-Leyndell which is already connected together) which still manages to match the number of rune towers and still leaves plenty of secret areas to explore.

I'll play this game a little bit more in NG+ to try some boss weapons out, but I'm way less motivated to finish it a second time this time around than I was with Bloodborne, DS1, and Demon's Souls, where I was itching to go again for the full ride because they were better paced and less bloated.

Edit: I wanted to add one last thing. It's clear with 12 million copies sold and counting this game has the potential to break through that glass ceiling many hardcore games can't break through and become a household name like CoD, GTA, Mario, Zelda, and Skyrim. If that in fact happens(if it hasn't already), I just hope that the big AAA devs looking to steal that Elden Ring recipe at least read the criticisms along with the praises and try to attempt something better.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

I just discovered yet another area under Leyndell by sleeping in the coffin after the twin gargoyles in Siofra Aqueduct. Almost didnt see it, but only because I checked the area post battle since its so large.

Seriously, even though all items are available in the first cycle, there is still so much content that its best to leave some for later plays.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I was playing the Heros Grave in the Atlus plateau and got to the boss. No way I would beat 2 Crucibles. Did it on my 3rd try with my mimic distracting the shield on and taking out the spear one quickly. Then it was me, shieldy and Frost Stomp.

Orbital2060

Fun fact:

Dark Souls veterans may have noticed this, but your character's running animation in Dark Souls 2 was different than the running animation he has in Dark Souls 1 and 3. His torso was a bit more straight in his running animation, and would give you the impression his hands and legs were the only things moving if you would look at him from the side as he was running.

Elden Ring uses more or less the same animation, albeit more refined.

Food for thought for the people who claim that Elden Ring is the true Dark Souls 2 that FROM envisioned all those years ago.
Yeah its basically Dark Souls 2 + The Lands Between. Without disparaging Elden Rings incredible achievement. You can see that on the map in the basement in Majula where a new area lights up when youve cleared the boss there. It was such wildly ambitious game that suffered from not having enough area to cover between Majula and each destination that it felt odd sometimes. You went through a fog gate or a single area and youre at the other end of the kingdom all of a sudden. Which made it feel like the areas were more like long corridors that stretched out in all directions with Majula at the center, like spokes on a wheel.

d360b276-9f1c-4615-854wkcv.png

SCB3

Yeah its basically Dark Souls 2 + The Lands Between. Without disparaging Elden Rings incredible achievement. You can see that on the map in the basement in Majula where a new area lights up when youve cleared the boss there. It was such wildly ambitious game that suffered from not having enough area to cover between Majula and each destination that it felt odd sometimes. You went through a fog gate or a single area and youre at the other end of the kingdom all of a sudden. Which made it feel like the areas were more like long corridors that stretched out in all directions with Majula at the center, like spokes on a wheel.

d360b276-9f1c-4615-854wkcv.png

They did a good job of explaining that it was your character slowly losing their mind as you travelled, so you "Forgot" long areas between (This is taken from the Design Works book btw)

This is more and more making me think it was the DS2 team that did the work on this, it would make a lot of sense as Sekiro was being developed alongside this right?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
WTF, I opened the door of the 3 fingers, got cutscene for frenzied flame and now Melania wants to kill me? Did I fuck up my chances of doing the numerous other endings???

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Finished it the other day, still reflecting on the story. Haven't been very much engaged with the NG+ but caught some things I missed before.

The lore of this game kills me, and I am not sure if I even followed it correctly. Let me see if I got it correct:

So there's a world with a magic thing known as the Elden Ring, which grants a woman, her husband, and their children immortality.

Then a parasitic, godlike plant invades the planet. It creates / animates pot men to store human dead to feed to the roots of its trees. In order for any living being to truly die they must now be fed to the trees. Otherwise they enter a state of undeath. This includes the demigod children of the queen.

So she shatters her ring effectively breaking how life and death functions on this world. She spares her childrens' souls being fed to the Erdtree by sacrificing herself. Now there is no death for anyone or anything. And without being fed the Erdtree dies.

So something which seems like the presence behind the tree summons those it once shunned, to return the order of the world in which people (and their souls) are continually fed to the trees. So depending upon what the player does, they either agree, or through some means, destroy this entire fucked up world and the trees with it.

Is that right? I feel like I missed so much either by skipping it, or being way too tired as I finished bosses in the middle of the night.
What game is this? :)

Seriously, I didn’t get that much detail to the plot during my playthrough. I had an amazing time. I’m at a point where I want to relive this game again at some point. I feel like I took so much in to where I don’t know what to do next before NG+. Elden Ring, like Bloodborne and etc will be a great game to play again years later.

Krathoon

I found the big underground dungeon in Limgrave.
Some good stuff.
I will not tell you where it is, but you should be able to guess if you look at the map.
Unfortunately, I did not find a site of grace before I died down there.

They kind of outdid the big underground dungeon in Skyrim.

Last edited:
After taking a week break from the game due to being frustrated with phase 2 of the final boss, decided to dive back in tonight

After about a dozen attempts I finally beat the game

Was a fun ride, just leveled up using the souls I got which puts me at 146. Gonna grind to 150 then focus on PvP.

Not really sure what game to play next after playing ER. Nothing really seems that appealing.

Krathoon

After taking a week break from the game due to being frustrated with phase 2 of the final boss, decided to dive back in tonight

After about a dozen attempts I finally beat the game

Was a fun ride, just leveled up using the souls I got which puts me at 146. Gonna grind to 150 then focus on PvP.

Not really sure what game to play next after playing ER. Nothing really seems that appealing.
Have you played Control? A good ole Remedy game.

Really want to give a try to sorcery - any idea of a good build?
Pure mage or melee?

Faith or int?

And if you want melee, do you prefer str or dex weapons?

Really comes down to personal preference

I’d go dex int because I love dex weapons and miracles appear to be stronger than incantations, but that’s just me

I have a strength/faith build and it was okay

Cyberpunkd

Pure mage or melee?

Faith or int?

And if you want melee, do you prefer str or dex weapons?

Really comes down to personal preference

I’d go dex int because I love dex weapons and miracles appear to be stronger than incantations, but that’s just me

I have a strength/faith build and it was okay
I am SL60, pure Str build with Golden Halberd +5, which is ripping through enemies, but I heard late game is a nightmare for this build.

I am exploring Nokron and that place drops larval tears like crazy, so I don’t mind the change. I was actually thinking Dex/Int.

I think they might have over corrected with arcane. has anyone tested this? my arcane scaling is bonkers compared to dex on weapons that were originally dex but applied the occult ash on it. I took this screenshot earlier today before I beat the game and leveled some more, so my stats are even higher now, but look at the attack power on right and left weapon. both are extremely fast katanas, and that doesn't even take into consideration the insane bleed I'm applying. to be fair I am using talisman that synergize with my build, but the damage output is still nuts

08fPNbx.jpg

I am SL60, pure Str build with Golden Halberd +5, which is ripping through enemies, but I heard late game is a nightmare for this build.

I am exploring Nokron and that place drops larval tears like crazy, so I don’t mind the change. I was actually thinking Dex/Int.
some people just say the end game isn't fair if you're a pure melee build

I disagree. I found the game very doable without magic and most boss fights fair as a melee player

granted, I got through pretty much 99% of the game as pure dex, and only respecd to dex/arcane pretty much right before the final boss because I love bleed and they fixed the scaling

I don't know how slowly the halberd swings as I've never used it, but I can see slow weapons posing a challenge. bosses do attack very quickly. getting hits in on melania for example with a slow weapon sounds brutal

if you enjoy your build and you're doing fine, I wouldn't bother respecing until you either hit a wall or get bored

thuGG_pl

So I finshed Elden Ring last night, took me 151h, lvl 174.
What an expierience that was, truly one of the best games I've ever played. I'm a bit sad now.

I'm so glad I gave it a chance, because previously I thought that I don't like hard challenging games.

10/10, masterpiece well deserved. Also the game is beautifull, stunnging at times.

But the game is not perfect, here are the things I don't like about it:
1. Sharing the lock on and 180 degree turn on L3. This is bullshit.
2. Quests. I would like more handholding there. I did just a few quests and ONLY because I looked them up on the wiki. Without that I don't think I would do a single one. I would miss a lot of content if I didn't look it up.
3. Armor sets. I wish armor or whole sets would give you some reason to wear them. Currently despite playing a mage I would wear pretty heavy armor because mage sets didn't offer anything over heavier armor.

Top 3 most hated enemies:

1. Royal Revenant - fu*k this piece of shit
royal_revenant_bosses_elden_ring_wiki_guide.jpg

2. Giant Crow - I'm simply scared of them, they looks mean, they came out of nowhere, whey hit hard
er-monsters-05-1024x576.jpg

3. Ancestral Follower with a bow aka Blue Fucking Sniper
ancestral-follower-enemies-elden-ring-wiki-guide-300px.jpg

Last edited:

TrebleShot

About to launch myself into this.

I played and loved demons souls (PS5) but it took me about a year to finish it and I followed a lot of guides and advice how to cheese bosses.

Any tips for jumping in? Bear in mind I don’t want to spend 100 hours in any game. Casual player style!

started raya lucaria academy today and beat it. i enjoyed it way more than Stormveil. first attempt of fighting queen rennala i died when she had only a tiny bit of health left. as YOU DIED appeared on screen my wolves finished her off but i had to go back in and fight her again. wasn't really a problem because it was such an easy fight.

altered my characters appearance a little. i can respec now but not sure i want to. i only have one larval tear so i'll keep it for later.

i'm lvl 63 now but not sure where to go next. i can go to caelid, siofra, ainsel, or up to the ruin-strewn precipice/grand lift dectus.

I played and loved demons souls (PS5) but it took me about a year to finish it and I followed a lot of guides and advice how to cheese bosses.

Any tips for jumping in? Bear in mind I don’t want to spend 100 hours in any game. Casual player style!
spirit summons are basically easy mode so make sure you get the spirit bell. look out for a witch at night in a church or speak to a merchant at the game hub once it's unlocked. there are all different spirits but my favourites are the jellyfish or wolves.

other than that just explore the map. like Cyberpunkd Cyberpunkd says if you're struggling to beat a boss then skip it and come back later. you'll learn that at the start of the game.

if you don't want to spend 100 hours in the game then it might not be for you. if you rush through it then it can take 30-50 hours but if you take your time it can be easily 90-170 hours. i'm already 48 hours in and feel like i'm still a long way to go before i think of finishing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orbital2060

A thing to keep in mind with Elden Ring is the new jump-attack move, which helps immensely for some bosses, and other encounters in the wild. It helps to break enemies’ poise, and makes the whole game easier if you get used to this from the start.

There is a tutorial at the start of the game, in the cave you begin at. Make sure to pay attention to the tips there as they basically explain everything.

And I doubt youll get through it in less than 100 hours, unless you have a certain knack for it. Its a 250 + hour game if you want it to be and do everything. If you go into it with the mindset that its more like Skyrim or Breath of the Wild you will make it easier on yourself to deal with the scope of the game.

SCB3

Ok, nearly done with the game, the last couple of hours really let it down though, the pure difficulty curve is unreal, someone mentioned about them being Bloodborne enemies whilst you're stuck as a Dark Souls character is so apt

For example, the Elden Beat, not only do you have to replay a tough boss each time before him, he throws so much shit on screen and in your face its impossible to see whats even happening, by the time you do, he's fucked off to the complete opposite side of the arena, its not fun, its fucking tedious at that point

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
That f****n thing on top of the volcano came down last night. This was the most difficult boss so far. I don't know how many times it happened that it was almost dead and it chained multiple attacks to kill me but yeah, tough fight.

I have a hack and slash character and I keep hearing that the end game is very difficult with this so I don't know if I'll hit a roadblock at some point.

Ulysses 31

That f****n thing on top of the volcano came down last night. This was the most difficult boss so far. I don't know how many times it happened that it was almost dead and it chained multiple attacks to kill me but yeah, tough fight.

I have a hack and slash character and I keep hearing that the end game is very difficult with this so I don't know if I'll hit a roadblock at some point.
Hope your dodge skillz are up to par for the next couple of bosses... 👀

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Don't worry. I beat the game as a STR dude with some FTH buffs (no ranged attacks) and it's fine.

I'm seeing the difficulty of the game being quite exagerated over the internet, like people saying you need summons for certain bosses or that the game is balanced around INT and using sorceries. Bunch of shitters all of them, I tell ya.

Last edited:

tassletine

Fuck the godskin duo. I've never come across such an annoying boss in all my time playing videogames.

It's like they just took the single two most annoying enemies, tanked them up to 10 and left them there. They're designing to look like O+S to intimidate you. They respawn. Constant, constant one shots from off screen.
And to top it off all the help videos are like 30 levels about me. It's just a ridiculous spike that only seems doable if you've put a ton into vitality.

If Miyazaki ever, ever talks about not deliberately trying to make his games difficult again I'm going to find him and shit in his letterbox.

mansoor1980

Fuck the godskin duo. I've never come across such an annoying boss in all my time playing videogames.

It's like they just took the single two most annoying enemies, tanked them up to 10 and left them there. They're designing to look like O+S to intimidate you. They respawn. Constant, constant one shots from off screen.
And to top it off all the help videos are like 30 levels about me. It's just a ridiculous spike that only seems doable if you've put a ton into vitality.

If Miyazaki ever, ever talks about not deliberately trying to make his games difficult again I'm going to find him and shit in his letterbox.
man just overlevel your self , i killed the duo on my first attempt , a massive health bar helps in this game especially with the difficulty spikes

RafterXL

Don't see you beating Elden Ring in less than 100 hours as a, mostly, new player.

But the absolutely easiest path right now, even easier than magic, would be a DEX/ARC bleed build. Arcane scaling is through the roof. Also use Spirit Summons and NPC summons whenever possible.

elden ring is about to become my most played From Software game (in a single playthrough). Currently it's sekiro at 48.0 hours. Elden Ring is 47.8 hours.

i've gone into the siofra well. i've got about half way through the map but there's some areas i can't get into or don't know what to do yet. need to take a break since i've been playing almost constantly since 6am.

Bartski

Gold Member
For those of you struggling to make parry as viable in combat as you're used to in other From games - make sure to check out parry ashes of war and practice with those.
Both Carian Retaliation and Thops Barrier you can use to parry magic projectiles produce an additional blue light effect that is your actual parry window, very helpful to get a feel for the timing.

The Golden Parry ash however is just the best for melee - like the previous 2 it extends the parry window time on all mid shields, also has a visual effect for it, and on top of that - massive additional range.

Last edited:
Top Bottom