• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Pejo

My buddy and I conquered the Gelmir Hero's Grave yesterday. Holy smokes, what a bitch that area was. One of those lava dungeons with the massive chariot that will one shot you.

Navigating the dungeon was easy enough but that last spot that requires you to drop down on the narrow walkway, just kept falling to my death over and over. Took like an hour probably. Stuck with it though and beat the boss, for both of our players.

Great experience overall but never stepping foot in that effing place ever again, lol.
Did you get the Ringed Finger weapon?

You had to walk through the lava the whole way down the first ramp and go left at the end. It's easier to do with Quickstep weapon art. It's a funny meme weapon.
Nice, definitely did not get that. I'll have to google it to see what it's all about.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
18-D6-C3-D2-8-C50-4153-AD93-E70971507-FD2.jpg

imsosleepy

Finally took down the last boss.. 108 hours and 157 levels later I completed my first From Software game!!!
Played darksouls 3 till I ran into a wizard boss with a hat as a mage build and gave up.
Played bloodbourne til I hit a boss I could not beat and gave up. Refused to give up here and just overleveld myself a bit.

Started as a dex melee build but switched to dex/int and could not have beaten the game later on witouth my spells lol

But what a ride and this game.. Man its so big unbelievable

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
This effing game broke the RB button on my Series X controller:

HWHu5ee.jpg

In the back, a replacement LB/RB piece.
In the front, my original piece, with the RB "tooth" outright broken after one too many attacks in Elden Ring.
Praise the Sun we can get replacement pieces like these for peanuts and with next-day delivery these days.

mansoor1980

HWHu5ee.jpg

In the front, my original piece, with the RB "tooth" outright broken after one too many attacks in Elden Ring.
Praise the Sun we can get replacement pieces like these for peanuts and with next-day delivery these days.
i feel the L1/R1 buttons are better for games that use these shoulder buttons instead of RB/LB . the clicky feel is not good when used extensively

Pejo

So I spent hours fighting that damn Ulcerated rot infested tree spirit in Grand Cloister (all without the stupid incantation that heals rot since I didn't know it existed at the time) only to find out upon winning that he only drops a single golden seed. Jeeze, not even a talisman or a weapon or something for all of that??? By far the most frustrating fight I've had in the game so far.

SkylineRKR

Not sure, I don't recall off the top of my head. That place was great for Glovewort items though. Got my wolves to +5 now.

Its legit one of the best dungeons in the game.

Its much shorter than Fringefolk and Auriza. And there are 2 ways you can complete this dungeon. With one pretty much reaching the boss area in record time.

So you can go the normal route, by evading the first chariot, getting down with the second one, to the bloodhound and eventually land on top of it.

But you can also equip something like Flame fortification, a flame talisman and bloodhound step, and instead of going into the left entrance to the second area, bloodhound step through the lava. Its pretty bad ass and the chariot won't follow you anymore. You get the Ring weapon, and you can make a huge drop right to the boss door.

2 awesome sets there, also.

Mr Moose

Running around doing some side quests and getting some new weapons, I think I finished Ranni's quest, got a Dark Souls III Moonlight Greatsword from it.
You had to walk through the lava the whole way down the first ramp and go left at the end. It's easier to do with Quickstep weapon art. It's a funny meme weapon.
lol I got this earlier today, doubt I will use it but looks fun.
FO84zuQXwA85DI3

Yup so I basically think I’m going to give up at this point. Maliketh is horseshit to fight. I’m level 100 and can barely touch him in that form. His attacks are bullshit powerful and he can jump across the entire arena.

I’ve looked at a few guides and none of them are very helpful, most of them say, move around the back of him. What’s the point, he just one shots you when you do 🤣

SJRB

Gold Member
truly the top most frustrating area of the game

The area and its gimmick are pretty neat, but the enemy and their placements is just insane.

"You know those spider-hands that stunlock you? Let's put three of them at a time, all over the place"
"You know what's fun for pure melee builds? An enemy that teleports away when you get near but casts crazy powerful ranged magic"

I just bumrushed through the entire area. Super unrewarding.

Orbital2060

Yup so I basically think I’m going to give up at this point. Maliketh is horseshit to fight. I’m level 100 and can barely touch him in that form. His attacks are bullshit powerful and he can jump across the entire arena.

I’ve looked at a few guides and none of them are very helpful, most of them say, move around the back of him. What’s the point, he just one shots you when you do 🤣
His low poise is his weak point.

Use the claw talisman. And try out how many jumpattacks you need to execute to break him in the first phase with your gear. Then when you know this, start over and leave the last jumpattack for phase2. It carries over. Just use normal attacks for the rest of phase1. Then when he enters phase 2, execute one more jumpattack, which will break his poise so you can go up front and do a critical hit. That should take care of most of his health.

In my case I needed 4 or 5 jumpattacks to break him. So I did 3 in the first phase, nuked him down into phase 2 and then did one or two jumpattacks in phase 2. Which broke him and left him with a sliver of health left which the mimic took care of before I could do anything more.

This turned the fight from really hard to almost trivial for me.

Dont give up.

SkylineRKR

I was going Greatbow for a bit and its pretty fucking bad ass. They're situational, but I'd say they're rather good. I spent a few 10k's on Golden Great Arrows way earlier so I have a stash. Erdtree+7 on faith build. With arrow talismans on, I think I do about 900 damage right now. But I didn't equip everything that can buff it (scorpion talisman, full hp damage talisman).

It sort of trivializes parts of Leyndell. I started on the east rampart, and after the seedbed curse room I jump on the rooftops. From there I pick off everyone in the area, perfumers and annoying elite knights. There is lots of high ground, you can really lay waste on all soldiers there.

It should scale higher with faith though.

Haha, I took one look at that place and just nope'd out. No thanks, I can guarantee nothing in there is that special.
You get some summon ashes and the gloveworts make it worth the effort too.

The most special thing inside it though.......the memories of two buddies playing a game, laughing at invaders getting their asses handed to them, the dozen or so failed attempts at jumping to a ledge and the feeling of success when you land a two-handed jumping attack to the bosses asshole which causes him to die.

The Neverending Story Win GIF

Saber

Platinum the game today, just after my brother. What a trip. Gonna still play more, have a total of 11 weapons at max but I felt like I used some very little. Also, want to play more with Golem collosal weapon. Sad that some enemies agressiviness makes almost impossible to deal with big ass weapons.
My most valuable weapons were Wing of Astel, the Serpent curved sword and Dismounter.

So I spent hours fighting that damn Ulcerated rot infested tree spirit in Grand Cloister (all without the stupid incantation that heals rot since I didn't know it existed at the time) only to find out upon winning that he only drops a single golden seed. Jeeze, not even a talisman or a weapon or something for all of that??? By far the most frustrating fight I've had in the game so far.

I try to avoid him nowadays since it's unecessary fights for nothing. Its attack paterns are so weird that it ends up bugging itself.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
From needs to fix the input reading from bosses. AI reading your input is just bad design to make the game harder. Prime example:

Thats pretty much the entire Dark Souls franchise design. Everyone knows this, but most just ignore it. It's a bit less obvious in previous games because you dont fight the same generic bosses over and over but its there. Actually a lot of games have input reading not just From games. I'm replaying God of War on PC on hardest difficulty and the timing of some of the enemies hits is just ridiculously obvious. Only a few devs ever admitted doing this in their games, I don't remember the video name.

Saber

From needs to fix the input reading from bosses. AI reading your input is just bad design to make the game harder. Prime example:

Crucible knights are worst than them.
Against Godskin just keep your distance and bait him until he throws a black flame ball. I suggest dodge by rolling foward and take opportunity to either retaliate or heal yourself. Godskin Noble is 3x times worse, feels like rapier enemies gets the best of everything(range, speed and swing).

ssringo

Gold Member
I really like the Great Jar quest. Beat these 3 invaders without resting and prove your worth! Good challenge and a very nice reward.

But fuck the decision to not only make you have to respawn and run from the grace instead of a nearby stake but also putting 2 Giant asshole snipers in the way to slow you down and/or tap into your healing reserves. Plus the one guy never seems to drop combat even though he can't hit you. Asinine...

On the topic of input reading? Yeah, it's a staple but I think this game is the most blatant it's been (for From). Maybe due to how fast a lot of enemies are and how slow you are in comparison. Like my character hasn't started to move his arm to use a flask and dude buddy (Crucible Knight) is already full on charging at me?

thuGG_pl

I really like the Great Jar quest. Beat these 3 invaders without resting and prove your worth! Good challenge and a very nice reward.

But fuck the decision to not only make you have to respawn and run from the grace instead of a nearby stake but also putting 2 Giant asshole snipers in the way to slow you down and/or tap into your healing reserves. Plus the one guy never seems to drop combat even though he can't hit you. Asinine...
You can run past them on a horse and start the summoning, they will not hit you.

thuGG_pl

They seem pretty good at sniping me from downtown.
Believe me, I've done this like 20-30 times. You just run around them with minimal change of direction and they will not hit you. The place where you summon is safe, the second giant never hit me there.

Last edited:

Doom85

Don’t agree so far with people who are hating on some of the later areas. Okay. I admit the snowfield was just okay, but finally going back and getting to the Volcano Manor (in the process of exploring, so many routes!) and also I have the Haligtree to explore (arrived there, haven’t gone past the starting point yet), yeah when it comes to exploring I’m still all:

Happy Mood GIF by HBO Max

FunkMiller

Malekith is probably the best example in the game of having to fully learn a move set and how to deal with it more than any other boss. He's so damn fast, you can't afford to not know what's coming next... particularly with his AoEs. That jumping one can be rolled through, but the timing has to be pretty much perfect. Don't try to dodge away from him a lot of the time either. Roll into him to get under and behind.

Don't give up, though. You'll crack it. Once I got the timing down on that stupid three red crescents straight after one another attack, I started to have a better time with it.

Macattk15

Yeah the Dark Souls games have always been about input reading. You just kinda learn to play around it.

That and bosses turning on a dime and tracking you like a drone strike.

now i can respec but not sure if i should. i have a bloodhound fang +5 and uchigatana +13 with bloody slash.

for damage i've been levelling up Strength + Dexterity. my uchigatana says it scales with Arcane but i've only put 1 into that to bring it to 9.

strength is 26
dex is 24
health is 33

endurance and FP i put some into but not a lot. can't remember what they are at. only enough until i stopped fat rolling with my bloodhound and could get enough hits in and be able to roll away. all i really use FP for is ash attacks and spirits. i'd like to put a little more in to be able to use more powerful spirits.

the rest of the stats i haven't touch. i am quite happy with these weapons and probably won't change them. should i just keep doing what i'm doing? a bit more FP and dump the rest into hp/str/dex. is arcane worth levelling up for the uchigatana?

also i have a couple basic spells (urgent heal and some fire one) but don't know how to use them. how do i do that?

Last edited by a moderator:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

HWHu5ee.jpg

I've been worrying a bit about damaging my Razer Wolverine controller with all the R1 spamming you do in this game. This post convinced me to switch over to decent but cheap DS4 controller I have. At least if I break that it was only $20.

Cyberpunkd

also i have a couple basic spells (urgent heal and some fire one) but don't know how to use them. how do i do that?
Assuming you need the stats requirements you also need a casting item equipped (a wand or a catalyst), then you cast using shoulder buttons the same way you would with attacking.

headed back into caelid. arrived there early on and noped right outta there. feels good coming back and whooping ass.

i think i done everything in the area the map shows except the castle at the bottom right. i will head there next :D i'm lvl 68 now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom