• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Had to pull my Blasphemous Blade out of retirement, smoked the last boss solo. Now absolutely murdering groups of people while I invade at the boss fog gate, this is too funny 😂.

Will gather my thoughts before making a longer post about the entire Elden Ring experience as a whole but suffice it to say it's one of the greatest games ever made, praise the Ring!

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Been trying to get to the volcano castle and ended up doing Mt. Gelmir and then Sage Cave. Man, fuck both Falling Starbeast and Black Knife Assassin. Rotten Stray was a big help with the latter. Collapsing Stars spell was able to get consistent hits on him, too. Past 10-15hrs have been awesome.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Just beat the draconic tree sentinal at level 50 with a warhawk talon and having my jelly fish die at the mid point of the fight not having done much.

It really highlighted just how poor the input registration is in this game. A large portion of the deaths were due to dropped roll or block inputs. I just end up standing there and face tanking a charged attack because apparently circle is not the dodge input for a vital split second.

*edit*

Upon looking at slowed down footage with an overlay showing the controller inputs. Most of the dropped inputs come because of the crouch button is interfering with dodging.

Crouching is more important than dodging attacks
Cry Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I'm currently stuck on this boss, once he gets his lightning buff I'm fucked. I have shit load of stamina and good poise, but the lightning negates that.

Need something to combat lightning.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Respecced to pure magic build, was kinda bored with running around with Golden Halberd for 30hrs, let's see how it will go.

Also for some reason I got locked out of Greater Glintstone Shard being on sale - I verified I have given the scroll to the Sellen, but no spell shows up in her menu.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I'm currently stuck on this boss, once he gets his lightning buff I'm fucked. I have shit load of stamina and good poise, but the lightning negates that.

You should be level 80-90 by here with a decent +4/5 ash summon and +11/12 weapons.

A 100% physical block shield is also recommended.

Last edited:
not true, 30 hours is enouth to see what the game has to offer

pN8byd0.jpg
30 hours will give you a taste of the game and if you rush through it yeah you can get to the end but it's not enough to see or do everything or even most things.

i'm at the 50 hours mark now and i know there is a shit load of stuff i haven't done yet. i got caelid, dragonbarrow, altus, leyndell, mountain of the giants, etc all to go. only fought margit, godrick, and rennela as far as main bosses go. npc quests i have only progressed some. i'm not even sure if i'm half way through the game yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orbital2060

Easy cheese for the Draconian Tree Sentinel outside Leyndell:

You can use the Poison Mist spell by sneaking up behind him. Just make sure you have allocated enough mana flasks - you dont need health flasks - and just keep casting the spell once it wears off. Its not cumulative, so just wait patiently for each poison debuff to run out and then cast again. After a couple of cycles you have to cast the spell twice for it to stick but just keep at it and he will go down nice and steady.

Last edited:

Dr Kaneda

I think it's a phenomenal game, as attested by the fact it's easily my longest played game for a single playthrough at 110 hours, but it's does have some serious balancing issues.

I replayed Bloodborne and Sekiro right before this and it's pretty noticeable. They're both "fair" games with Bloodborne leaning more on the easy side and Sekiro more on the challenging side, but the balance for both is more or less good. But with Elden Ring you either have extremely easy bosses or nigh no impossible bosses. And then when you factor in the Ashes you have an experience that's either a cake walk most of the if you do use them or joylessly frustrating if you don't.

Maybe I am misremembering but I don't remember bosses in Bloodborne or Sekiro one shotting you as often as it happens in Elden Ring. And that's not even factoring insane infinite stamina combos that might as well be one shots given they stun lock you, or attacks that utterly destroy your pose and leave you helplessly staggered open to attacks that are effectively one shots as well. It's such as shame because in terms of design these are some of the best From has ever done, if they could just lower the damage output of the bosses then at least they'd be extremely enjoyable and I'd even say perfect for a Sekiro style boss rush mode in the a future update.

Or maybe tweak the Ashes some more? Enough so that they aggro some of these one shot moves but not so much that they're more or less only focused on them and thus giving you free reign to just pummel them unopposed.

Last edited:

Zug

I wish they tone down Arcane a little bit, it's superior in every way to anything else right now : bleed (obviously, I hear the nerf hammer whistling in the air as it comes), generous occult scaling, dragon seal, dragon incantations...

When playing the min-max game, even when avoiding the super obvious OP options, Arcane always come out on top.
I'm not very fond of powerstancing either, it looks ridiculous with bigger weapons, but the offensive advantage is hard to dismiss.

Valt7786

Stuck on Maliketh The Black Blade. This is a bullshit fight. I’m using the winged scythe and black flame combo and just cannot beat it.

Go back down the path to the opposite side of his door, past the stairs to the lift on your left, then follow that path. Should lead to getting invaded if you've followed the volcano manor quests and they drop something that helps big time with that fight.

Isn't this the second boss area after Stormveil? If not then.... What the hell am I doing. If it is, then 80/90 seems too high.
This is right before the capital which is way past Stormveil and after the lakes. I beat this guy at level 65-70 and he was pretty tough.

Use Torrent and call in your ashes. I used Marrionett puppets for that jerk.

Go back down the path to the opposite side of his door, past the stairs to the lift on your left, then follow that path. Should lead to getting invaded if you've followed the volcano manor quests and they drop something that helps big time with that fight.
I see, thanks. I haven’t been following that quest line. I went all in with Ranni as I heard it was one of the best endings. I also love Blaaid and wanted to see it all through. I’ll go check there though, anything to help me get past that piece of shit would be great!

Dr Kaneda

According to fans, yes. Not sure why he needed to be nerfed though.
I beat him pre-nerf but he was a little bit frustrating. I looks like he's meant to be a early-ish/at most early mid game boss so you're not meant to be that far levelled up. He had those opening laser beams within 2 seconds of the fight that one-shotted you. Probably by the 10th instant death most people got the timing down for dodge rolling.

But then he also had those homing meteorites in the last 1/4 of the fight, those were also one shots and no matter how much HP you had. I never managed to dodge them, have no idea if you even can or if the timing is impossible. You either needed to use the shield wonderous flask mix to tank the shot or if you summoned the NPCs then hope RNG was on your side and they got directed at them. It's one thing getting 1 shotted at the start of a fight, you haven't invested that much time and it's fairly easy to repeatedly practice avoiding it. It's another thing entirely to get one-shotted at the end of a fight after you've toiled away getting that far and it also makes it far harder to practice that particular move and avoid.

I haven't played him post-nerf, but just reducing the damage the meteorites did would have been enough imo. Not sure how far they went with the nerf though.

Saber

I beat him pre-nerf but he was a little bit frustrating. I looks like he's meant to be a early-ish/at most early mid game boss so you're not meant to be that far levelled up. He had those opening laser beams within 2 seconds of the fight that one-shotted you. Probably by the 10th instant death most people got the timing down for dodge rolling.

But then he also had those homing meteorites in the last 1/4 of the fight, those were also one shots and no matter how much HP you had. I never managed to dodge them, have no idea if you even can or if the timing is impossible. You either needed to use the shield wonderous flask mix to tank the shot or if you summoned the NPCs then hope RNG was on your side and they got directed at them. It's one thing getting 1 shotted at the start of a fight, you haven't invested that much time and it's fairly easy to repeatedly practice avoiding it. It's another thing entirely to get one-shotted at the end of a fight after you've toiled away getting that far and it also makes it far harder to practice that particular move and avoid.

I haven't played him post-nerf, but just reducing the damage the meteorites did would have been enough imo. Not sure how far they went with the nerf though.

My problem with nerfs like that is that "X looks cancer but not Y and Z".
It tells to me that Maelia and Black Blade are fine instant killing you sometimes(with healing and black flame debuff), but Radhan is not. Also, Radhan has tons of free summons to draw attention from him.
If you asked me, none should be nerfed because in the end all of them are optional bosses.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Yeah those meteorites were a pain. Without those, he was fine though. At level 60 ish, and likely depending on gear and buffs you could take 2 or 3 hits. Those meteorites eventually forced me to go far away on horseback until they were shot towards NPC's. The beginning is also kind of lame, since you can be one shot if your roll timing is a little bit off or if the input doesn't register or w/e.

I also think meteorite nerf would suffice. The first part I generally never failed after 1 or 2 tries. Its 2 or 3 evasions and then he will do his arrow rain or go straight to melee. But, this run did become tedious after losing a few times since you can't engage him right away. Its always a good half a minute or more evading arrows and rushing towards him/summoning people.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Liurnia of the lakes is 2nd I believe.
This is right before the capital which is way past Stormveil and after the lakes. I beat this guy at level 65-70 and he was pretty tough.

Use Torrent and call in your ashes. I used Marrionett puppets for that jerk.
After Stormveil the most logical location to explore, level-wise, are Liurnia and the Academy.
Ah shit, I never managed to get into the academy.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I finished Volcano Manor and the Capitol, was told I need to follow the red dot. I want to go clean up some caves and catacombs first. Also the shaded city. Any other recommendations before I head up there. I don't want to miss any quest.

Dr Kaneda

My problem with nerfs like that is that "X looks cancer but not Y and Z".
It tells to me that Maelia and Black Blade are fine instant killing you sometimes(with healing and black flame debuff), but Radhan is not. Also, Radhan has tons of free summons to draw attention from him.
If you asked me, none should be nerfed because in the end all of them are optional bosses.
Yeah If you checked I made a comment a little further up saying basically all the cheap one shot kill attacks should be nerfed, I'm consistent in that regard. It is kind of strange why From decided to nerf the Radhan one but not the others when I don't think he was the biggest offender as you said. They are optional but if you don't play them you're missing out on a lot of content. You could argue the majority of the games content is "optional".

Coming off the back of Sekiro, which is probably Froms best tuned game, it's a shame so many of the latter half bosses become more of a relief to beat using the mentality of "any means necessary" rather than a enjoyable "dance". If you get what I mean? The majority of people say Sekiro is Froms hardest game, but the bosses are fair and in the end enjoyable to fight. You can tell From recognised this as they added a boss rush mode, they were clearly proud of the effort, balancing, tuning etc.. they'd put into the bosses and wanted people to repeatedly enjoy them.

I don't get that too often with Elden Ring, that's despite as I said before the bosses being arguably the best/coolest designed From have done. I'm not saying they should "nerf" them, but they definitely in my opinion go back and tweak them to achieve at least a Sekiro level of fairness and enjoyability. Ganking, infinite stamina combos that are impossible to fully dodge, 1 hit kills, only attacking when you heal, stun locking you or pose breaking you into one hit kills etc.. It's artificial difficult in my opinion. Not to mention the camera also not helping things.

A lot of that stuff is probably impossible to change without seriously reworking the game, but just reducing the damage some bosses do with some attacks and/or reducing the frequency of some attacks, would go a long way.

Respecced to pure magic build, was kinda bored with running around with Golden Halberd for 30hrs, let's see how it will go.

Also for some reason I got locked out of Greater Glintstone Shard being on sale - I verified I have given the scroll to the Sellen, but no spell shows up in her menu.

I had this happen with both scrolls that you give to Sellen. She had none of the spells from either scroll for me.

Cyberpunkd

I had this happen with both scrolls that you give to Sellen. She had none of the spells from either scroll for me.
Do you know of any way to fix it?

Anyway, respecced into Str again, I just couldn't stomach how you had to run for your life the moment an enemy moved closer. Died 3 times to that monster guarding the huge hammer in Altus before I killed him easily with my Str/huge shield build.

Do you know of any way to fix it?

Anyway, respecced into Str again, I just couldn't stomach how you had to run for your life the moment an enemy moved closer. Died 3 times to that monster guarding the huge hammer in Altus before I killed him easily with my Str/huge shield build.

I don't, unfortunately.

Belthazar

Just beat Gordick and started exploring more and... The repetitiveness of the smaller dungeons scattered through the world is starting to bore me a bit. Are there other themes for them other than Catabombs/Cave/Mine? Not just that, but the layout for them is also pretty underwhelming.

iQuasarLV

30 hours will give you a taste of the game and if you rush through it yeah you can get to the end but it's not enough to see or do everything or even most things.

i'm at the 50 hours mark now and i know there is a shit load of stuff i haven't done yet. i got caelid, dragonbarrow, altus, leyndell, mountain of the giants, etc all to go. only fought margit, godrick, and rennela as far as main bosses go. npc quests i have only progressed some. i'm not even sure if i'm half way through the game yet.
Over 200 hours now and still missing achievements. This game is one hell of a commitment if you want to 100% it. I love it!

GermanZepp

Fuck those perfume dudes who spam fire.

In that note, i'm leaning to the conclusion that this From game has some of the worse/unfun enemies and bosses to fight.

Abominations with neverending spams of meele attacks and magic that blast your stamina bar or kill you in two hits. Just summoning a spirit to tank or distract the boss is no fun.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just beat Gordick and started exploring more and... The repetitiveness of the smaller dungeons scattered through the world is starting to bore me a bit. Are there other themes for them other than Catabombs/Cave/Mine? Not just that, but the layout for them is also pretty underwhelming.
Nope, they all look mostly the same. The layout improves as you go on tho, I remember being bored by those in Limgrave and Liurnia, but the later ones are better, and some of them are very inventive and mind fucking.

Last edited:

Majukun

Noy really satisfied with my build but it gets the job done... Went with the bloodhound fang because I like the weapon art and it has a good range, but normal attacks are kinda worthless against bosses.
Also got sone blade spells,still they don't seems like sonething i can rely a lot on since my int is not that high.

Any suggestion on what I should focus on with a dex/int build?
Ended up creating a glass cannon (that isn't really that cannon), so I decided to invest on summons so that they can take the heat while I sting like an hornet the bosses and retire...but I get the sensation I should be able to do much more

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Will you be on later?

I don't need any upgraded weapons, I have like 150 of them +9 or better...lol.

When you finally get the Sacred on your own, I will take the unupgraded one on an alt if you don't mind?
Are you still down to do this? I’ll be on later. PM me what you need for me to do. I’ll be on after 5pm CDT. Central US time

Mossybrew

I finished Volcano Manor and the Capitol, was told I need to follow the red dot. I want to go clean up some caves and catacombs first. Also the shaded city. Any other recommendations before I head up there. I don't want to miss any quest.

Have you done Millicent's questline? It continues up past the Capital.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I know I need to get an arm for her at the shaded castle. So I will go get that, then I hope I can give it to her. I also need to do some stuff with Ranni too before I head up the lift.

Cyborg

Question; Is there a reason to equip a second weapon even if you dont use it?

For example; if you use a sleep weapon and you want a maximum critical hit? My second weapon (Keen Misericorde) has a 140 Critical Hit stat. Does that stack up even if you don't use it?

skit_data

Just defeated Dragonlord Placidusax and Maliketh.

The FOMO is just too much in this game. There’s so much stuff that you constantly feel like you’re missing like 85% of the content unless you play with a guide.
Personally I think that percentage is a bit too high compared to the other From Software games, it gives me anxiety.

SkylineRKR

You can grab the arm very early into the castle. After that she moves beyond the capital. You can give 3 of those seadbed curses in the sewers before that quest moves beyond. You can do Nepheli's stuff up until the potion (I didn't give it, but I did give the item from the tutorial area). Sellen you can do entirely I think. Fia you can also do before you finish the capital, the boss is a piece of cake (far easier than the gargoyles imo).

And I would do the entire subterranean before I wrap up the capital. You can only wrap up this area completely, and Nepheli's quest after beating the capital boss.

Oh yeah, Goldmask also moves beyond the capital if spoken to them at the colosseum.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Question; Is there a reason to equip a second weapon even if you dont use it?

For example; if you use a sleep weapon and you want a maximum critical hit? My second weapon (Keen Misericorde) has a 140 Critical Hit stat. Does that stack up even if you don't use it?

Using two weapons increase guard boost, not more than using the shield. You can use combo with others weapons if one of them is the Ornamental Straight Sword. Be sure to use his skill.

Low profile weapons don't give you pouse boost as well, so using your main weapons while use a heavy weapon could work as well, just for boost your pouse.

My buddy and I conquered the Gelmir Hero's Grave yesterday. Holy smokes, what a bitch that area was. One of those lava dungeons with the massive chariot that will one shot you.

Navigating the dungeon was easy enough but that last spot that requires you to drop down on the narrow walkway, just kept falling to my death over and over. Took like an hour probably. Stuck with it though and beat the boss, for both of our players.

Great experience overall but never stepping foot in that effing place ever again, lol.

Top Bottom