• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Pejo

Man what the hell is with the random difficulty of the catacomb in Radahn's arena, along the north wall? I was cruising through Caelid cleaning up things I skipped/missed and that one threw me for a loop.

Majukun

the mopre i think about it, the more i think the gameplay loop is kinda screwed up in this title...you are supposed to tackle additional content and get more "options" for your arsenal, but the rigidity of the weapon system makes so that experimentattion is kind of stiffled, so you using only things that already merge with your chosen playstyle or plan a big respec hoping that you have enough materials to max your pre-planned new build

but again not much that can be changed without fundamentalklly changing some parts of the souls formula.

from this point of view melee builds are also kind of screwed...you are still offered some weapons that scale with int or faith or arcane if you go with that build and what a melee option..but for the magically impaired a good third of the rewards of the game are useless

Pejo

the mopre i think about it, the more i think the gameplay loop is kinda screwed up in this title...you are supposed to tackle additional content and get more "options" for your arsenal, but the rigidity of the weapon system makes so that experimentattion is kind of stiffled, so you using only things that already merge with your chosen playstyle or plan a big respec hoping that you have enough materials to max your pre-planned new build

but again not much that can be changed without fundamentalklly changing some parts of the souls formula.

from this point of view melee builds are also kind of screwed...you are still offered some weapons that scale with int or faith or arcane if you go with that build and what a melee option..but for the magically impaired a good third of the rewards of the game are useless
I think the current flow of the game kinda forces you to think about which weapons/builds you're upgrading for the first chunk of the game. Then, at a certain point you have respec available, and as you progress further, you get access to bell bearings so that you can just buy upgrade materials to get weapons up to a reasonable upgrade level. FROM, for better or worse, always make upgrade stuff really rare for the first 2/3 of the game until you can either farm/buy unlimited amounts of it, then you can really start experimenting. I have upgraded and swapped out weapons 5-6 times already and I'm still in my first playthrough, but I'm exploring every nook and cranny. I lucked out in that a lot of the weapons I found relatively early were very strong and lasted me quite a while until I found something with a moveset that I really liked.

SJRB

Gold Member

A third is generous, I feel. Pretty much every later-stage weapon you find has some aspect of int/arc or something on it making it useless if you dunked everything in Strength.

Weapon variety for melee kinda sucks.

Aesius

A third is generous, I feel. Pretty much every later-stage weapon you find has some aspect of int/arc or something on it making it useless if you dunked everything in Strength.

Weapon variety for melee kinda sucks.
If you go STR you pretty much gotta go Greatshield to make it worthwhile.

But boy does it make it worthwhile. The Fingerprint Shield is ridiculous.

Freeman76

Man im so fed up of the summoning in this, its shit. Im at fire giant, and in previous games that would be a prime spot. Nobody is putting signs down for support and if they do it dissapears in milliseconds as so many ppl waiting for helpers. Such a shame as the game is a fucking masterpiece but getting helpers and then helping others is one of my favourite things to do in these games and this one just doesnt cut it.

I guess its due to the game being so huge, and the rewards for co op being shit. Ppl either spread too thin or dont even bother. At 115 i put a sign down at Leyndell boss, and rarely get summoned even there. Im on Xbox i dont know if thats anything to do with it. 210 hours into this amazing experience and I'm getting tired of fighting bosses that are meant to be for 2 or 3 ppl alone and repeatedly getting smashed..

R6Rider

Gold Member
Man what the hell is with the random difficulty of the catacomb in Radahn's arena, along the north wall? I was cruising through Caelid cleaning up things I skipped/missed and that one threw me for a loop.
Same with that tower in Caelid, and even some of those field dragon bosses in that area too. Just insane difficulty spikes compared to the rest of the region.

SCB3

Man im so fed up of the summoning in this, its shit. Im at fire giant, and in previous games that would be a prime spot. Nobody is putting signs down for support and if they do it dissapears in milliseconds as so many ppl waiting for helpers. Such a shame as the game is a fucking masterpiece but getting helpers and then helping others is one of my favourite things to do in these games and this one just doesnt cut it.

I guess its due to the game being so huge, and the rewards for co op being shit. Ppl either spread too thin or dont even bother. At 115 i put a sign down at Leyndell boss, and rarely get summoned even there. Im on Xbox i dont know if thats anything to do with it. 210 hours into this amazing experience and I'm getting tired of fighting bosses that are meant to be for 2 or 3 ppl alone and repeatedly getting smashed..

I fully believe summoning is broken, I tested this a lot at the last boss, Melania and a few other place3s, both summoning and being a summon, there is no way people get summoned so quick whilst my sign will take ages to be summon, it doesn't make sense

So I decided I wanted to do the rest of the bosses/Platinum the game, but I think I may be locked out of some side quests (Fia's for example)

now at Mohgwyns Palace though, I think I should be OP here

Pejo

I fully believe summoning is broken, I tested this a lot at the last boss, Melania and a few other place3s, both summoning and being a summon, there is no way people get summoned so quick whilst my sign will take ages to be summon, it doesn't make sense

So I decided I wanted to do the rest of the bosses/Platinum the game, but I think I may be locked out of some side quests (Fia's for example)

now at Mohgwyns Palace though, I think I should be OP here
As the host you can also use a scriptstone, which will give you more white message hints and summon signs.

Fake

Gold Member
Trying to beat Lord of Blood without summon. Thats some crazy shit. By far the best OST.

As for my fellow brothers who love exploring, try the Lord of Blood zone with blood crows, blood dogs, hyper beam skeleton and blood swordmans . Have fun.

Last edited:

Pejo

Trying to beat Lord of Blood without summon. Thats some crazy shit. By far the best OST.

As for my fellow brothers who love exploring, try the Lord of Blood zone with blood crows, blood dogs, hyper beam skeleton and blood swordmans . Have fun.
My favorite song so far has been this one:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
192 hours on the clock, an unforgettable journey, a Tarnished who used his own wits and Faith in the Erdtree to navigate these Lands Between top to bottom and uncovered many of its deepest secrets, no guides, no bullshit, wow, what a game. The is undoubtedly one of the best games ever made and I think my playtime might be the longest for any single player game ever even deducting maybe 35 hours helping a buddy/randoms in co-op as well as doing invasions. Is it the best FROM had ever put out? Well, that's highly subjective and I consider every one of their releases in the past decade a masterpiece, it's impossible to choose a favourite. Boy is it special though.

When FROM first announced they would be doing an open-world I saw a lot of naysayers. The whole time I kept saying "in FROM I trust, they can do no wrong, they have proven themselves time and time again". Indeed, they delivered big time while sticking to their core vision and design philosophy, never compromising to the mewling herd begging for an "easy mode". Funny thing is this is FROM's easiest game *by far*, I almost think it's TOO forgiving in how it allows challenge to be mitigated. Nevermind respecs, by the time I reached the end I had found 15 Larval Tears, talk about being overly generous, I'm sure there are ones I missed too lol.

From the very beginning I knew I'd play as a holy warrior equally adept at melee as he was casting incantations. I respec'd once early on to redistribute some points I'd wasted in Arcane and that was it, stuck with my chosen role through thick and thin, every weapon and armor piece used throughout the journey fitting the character I chose. Solo'd 98% of all the bosses including all the "hard" ones whether that be Malenia, Maliketh, Elden Beast, Godskin Duo, Lichdragon Fortissax, Gargoyles, Fire Giant etc etc. Many of these were done on my first attempt, the ones I *did* co-op were early on with me being impatient and wanting to move forward. I've helped many Tarnished fell these challenges along the way, jolly co-operation ftw.

I started NG+ last night, got 1 more trophy to plat. The question I asked myself fairly early on was how can FROM follow this up and what do I want to see from them next. Well, to be perfectly honest, I'd love for the next game to go back to their previous structure and - in a perfect world - it would be a sequel to either BB or Sekiro. BB is gothic Lovecraftian perfection, Sekiro might have my favourite combat of any game ever (and I've got the plats for both). More importantly, the "classic" FROM structure has it's own appeal and it's equally engaging. Give us one of these sequels, give us another new IP and *then* close out the gen with a nuclear bomb, an Elden Ring 2 or new open-world taking everything learned from this experience and honing it to a razor's edge.

In the meantime I'll patiently await DLC and look forward to the secrets the community uncovers over the weeks, months and - dare I say - years to come. 2022 is set to be a landmark year for videogames but nothing that comes out will touch this as my GOTY, indeed it's an early GOTG contender. I know many of my fellow Tarnished feel the same, praise Miyazaki, praise FROM, praise the Erdtree, praise the Ring! To close out this post, an Elden List:

- fave areas: Stormveil, Lyndell, Volcano Manor, Caelid, Sofria River, Nokron
- weapons used: Broadsword, Morning Star, Cipher Pata, Blasphemous Blade, Halo Scythe
- fave ashes: Black Knife Tiche, Oleg, Mausoleum Soldiers, Ancestral Follower, Wolves
- most used spell: lightning spear
- fave NPC's: Alexander, Blaidde, Ranni, Ofnir, Boc
- most hated enemy: giant bears lol
- most souls dropped: 297K
- most souls lost: 108K
- fave moment: soloing Lich Dragon Fortissax, 1st attempt, all flasks used up, double KO
- fave bosses: Rykard, Malenia, Radahn, Hoarah Loux, Godrick, Fortissax, Ancestral Spirit
- fave cutscene: Godrick screaming, chopping off his own arm lol

Last edited:

mansoor1980

192 hours on the clock, an unforgettable journey, a Tarnished who used his own wits and Faith in the Erdtree to navigate these Lands Between top to bottom and uncovered many of its deepest secrets, no guides, no bullshit, wow, what a game. The is undoubtedly one of the best games ever made and I think my playtime might be the longest for any single player game ever even deducting maybe 35 hours helping a buddy/randoms in co-op as well as doing invasions. Is it the best FROM had ever put out? Well, that's highly subjective and I consider every one of their releases in the past decade a masterpiece, it's impossible to choose a favourite. Boy is it special though.

When FROM first announced they would be doing an open-world I saw a lot of naysayers. The whole time I kept saying "in FROM I trust, they can do no wrong, they have proven themselves time and time again". Indeed, they delivered big time while sticking to their core vision and design philosophy, never compromising to the mewling herd begging for an "easy mode". Funny thing is this is FROM's easiest game *by far*, I almost think it's TOO forgiving in how it allows challenge to be mitigated. Nevermind respecs, by the time I reached the end I had found 15 Larval Tears, talk about being overly generous, I'm sure there are ones I missed too lol.

From the very beginning I knew I'd play as a holy warrior equally adept at melee as he was casting incantations. I respec'd once early on to redistribute some points I'd wasted in Arcane and that was it, stuck with my chosen role through thick and thin, every weapon and armor piece used throughout the journey fitting the character I chose. Solo'd 98% of all the bosses including all the "hard" ones whether that be Malenia, Maliketh, Elden Beast, Godskin Duo, Lichdragon Fortissax, Gargoyles, Fire Giant etc etc. Many of these were done on my first attempt, the ones I *did* co-op were early on with me being impatient and wanting to move forward. I've helped many Tarnished fell these challenges along the way, jolly co-operation ftw.

I started NG+ last night, got 1 more trophy to plat. The question I asked myself fairly early on was how can FROM follow this up and what do I want to see from them next. Well, to be perfectly honest, I'd love for the next game to go back to their previous structure and - in a perfect world - it would be a sequel to either BB or Sekiro. BB is gothic Lovecraftian perfection, Sekiro might have my favourite combat of any game ever (and I've got the plats for both). More importantly, the "classic" FROM structure has it's own appeal and it's equally engaging. Give us one of these sequels, give us another new IP and *then* close out the gen with a nuclear bomb, an Elden Ring 2 or new open-world taking everything learned from this experience and honing it to a razor's edge.

In the meantime I'll patiently await DLC and look forward to the secrets the community uncovers over the weeks, months and - dare I say - years to come. 2022 is set to be a landmark year for videogames but nothing that comes out will touch this as my GOTY, indeed it's an early GOTG contender. I know many of my fellow Tarnished feel the same, praise Miyazaki, praise FROM, praise the Erdtree, praise the Ring! To close out this post, an Elden List:

- fave areas: Stormveil, Lyndell, Volcano Manor, Caelid, Sofria River, Nokron
- weapons used: Broadsword, Morning Star, Cipher Pata, Blasphemous Blade, Halo Scythe
- fave ashes: Black Knife Tiche, Oleg, Mausoleum Soldiers, Ancestral Follower, Wolves
- most used spell: lightning spear
- fave NPC's: Alexander, Blaidde, Ranni, Ofnir, Boc
- most hated enemy: giant bears lol
- most souls dropped: 297K
- most souls lost: 108K
- fave moment: soloing Lich Dragon Fortissax, 1st attempt, all flasks used up, double KO
- fave bosses: Rykard, Malenia, Radahn, Hoarah Loux, Godrick, Fortissax, Ancestral Spirit
- fave cutscene: Godrick screaming, chopping off his own arm lol
good post dude , what was your character level?

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Somehow I got to level 160 before beating the game. No grinding, other than a bit in the 40s. I'm in NG+ right now as a Dark Moonlight sword/INT pew pew caster build and I am SHREDDING everything. I damn near took out Rodahn yesterday with one Comet Azur cast. My main goal is to grab the Shard of Alexander talisman and some other items I missed for the ideal 2x Hand of Melania build.

Not sure if I want to keep going into NG+2 based on how easy it is. More than likely, I'll play on some other characters I made that will stay lower level for increased challenge and PVP hijinks.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Man the last time I played was March 8th. Had to take a hiatus since we lost we coworker to emergency surgery/recovery and then I had a stomach flu (probably from working crazy hours) and couldn't even look at screens without being nauseous.

If you had told me on March 7th I wouldn't play again for weeks I'd have laughed at you or cried.

Almost feel like starting from scratch.

Current character is level 45 and about 60 hours in. Exploring midway into Liurnia.

What say you GAF? Restart?

Last edited:

Talonz

The one thing about this game that really sets it apart from other "Open World" games is that it doesn't make you collect totally useless things like Spiderman's costume thread 1 of 50 to get an achievement. Everything in the game has a reason to get it. Now you might not be the right spec for the item, but it has a use somewhere in the game.

near

Gold Member
Man the last time I played was March 8th. Had to take a hiatus since we lost we coworker to emergency surgery/recovery and then I had a stomach flu (probably from working crazy hours) and couldn't even look at screens without being nauseous.

If you had told me on March 7th I wouldn't play again for weeks I'd have laughed at you or cried.

Almost feel like starting from scratch.

Current character is level 45 and about 60 hours in. Exploring midway into Liurnia.

What say you GAF? Restart?

The game design pretty much allows you to stop and start whenever you want without really breaking immersion. I don't see why you'd need to restart, if you can recall what shardbearers you've beaten you're good to go.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
The game design pretty much allows you to stop and start whenever you want without really breaking immersion. I don't see why you'd need to restart, if you can recall what shardbearers you've beaten you're good to go.

Yeah I can remember exactly where I am and who I've beaten. Still vivid in my mind.

You make a good point tho. Thanks.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I've been going full extinction level on those SuicideChickens™ and SleepyBoys™ at the beginning of the Mogwhyn Palace area. Listening to music or podcasts and going on a ridiculous slaughter sometimes hours at a time, I'm currently at level 376. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I hope to eventually have the bosses look at me in fear as I slowly approach them. :messenger_fire:

Wrestling GIF

Pejo

I've been going full extinction level on those SuicideChickens™ and SleepyBoys™ at the beginning of the Mogwhyn Palace area. Listening to music or podcasts and going on a ridiculous slaughter sometimes hours at a time, I'm currently at level 376. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I hope to eventually have the bosses look at me in fear as I slowly approach them. :messenger_fire:

Wrestling GIF
Just watch out for rot doggies.

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Came back after three weeks of (unintentionally) not playing the game right at the the boss fog of the
Dragonkin Soldier of Nokstella

I am sooo rusty. I feel like this boss would've been easy. Took me way too many tries. Decided to summon but no one answered so I did it solo.

Ten minutes later my power went out. Guess I'm done with the game for tonight but Jesus that could've been so funny if it went out like ... 11 minutes previous.

😅

Edit: that's a secret boss in a certain well fyi

Last edited:

DOW

This game…..is just amazing. Tried Dark Souls several times in recent years and gave up from frustration. The hype made me bite and I’ve put 85 hours in already with still a lot undiscovered in my first play through.

I believe be this will be one of my favorite games of all-time.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
To those of you who completed
Ainsley River Well
in Liurnia - is it supposed to be kind of anticlimactic? Beat one boss
Dragonkin of Nokstella
and a big malformed moth thing that was basically a sniper ... is that it? For now?

The_hunter

Ainsley River Well
Dragonkin of Nokstella
and a big malformed moth thing that was basically a sniper ... is that it? For now?
Yep, you will return there later, from a different entrance in the overworld.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
The lobsters are the most bullshit enemy i have encountered.

oh and the ancestor archer. ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!
A got ambushed by a lobster and it got me. Went back to fight it again and it was gone. Are they random encounters?

Might be crayfish ... but too busy fighting for my life to really care at the time.

DelireMan7

Ainsley River Well
Dragonkin of Nokstella

You'll have access (or not...) to the rest later. It's part of a sidequest (Ranni).

SCB3

Ainsley River Well
Dragonkin of Nokstella
You come back to this area a few times, look out to the horizon, you go to all you can see if you look hard enough

It also leads to one of the toughest Shardbearers in the late game

I finally beat Maliketh this morning!!! Decided to go back to the mountains and kill a few bosses and level up to around 108.

Ended up using Rotten Breath on him initially and letting his health dwindle down to nearly nothing and finally used a black fire ball to finish him off. Epic fight.

Pejo

Man it's super late and I'm exhausted and everything, but I just soloed the
two crucible knights boss in Auriza Hero's Grave.
Didn't even use spirit ashes because of a shortcut fuckup I made before I entered the fight. It was only my 3rd try and let's just say I'm flying high right now.

That whole dungeon was a test of patience. I'm glad I am done with it, but it was satisfying to see the 3 chariots all smash into each other and then 5 loot drops happen all at once.

Sweatlord2000

Neo Member
So....I pirated the game.

I was fairly sure that this game would not be for me since I couldnt get in Dark Souls or Sekiro. However I love this game and would like to support the devs by buying the game on steam. Anyone know if I can import my save game to the steam folder so that I can continue my character?

SCB3

So....I pirated the game.

I was fairly sure that this game would not be for me since I couldnt get in Dark Souls or Sekiro. However I love this game and would like to support the devs by buying the game on steam. Anyone know if I can import my save game to the steam folder so that I can continue my character?
Shouldn't be an issue, but to avoid any ban risks I'd start again

Would anyone be so kind to drop me a weapon (Rivers of Blood) If that's even possible?
It's possible, though its not too hard to get, are you after an early weapon or dupe?

Man it's super late and I'm exhausted and everything, but I just soloed the
two crucible knights boss in Auriza Hero's Grave.
Didn't even use spirit ashes because of a shortcut fuckup I made before I entered the fight. It was only my 3rd try and let's just say I'm flying high right now.

That whole dungeon was a test of patience. I'm glad I am done with it, but it was satisfying to see the 3 chariots all smash into each other and then 5 loot drops happen all at once.
Congrats, Crucible Knights were the bane of my playthrough, still are

went to redmane castle. i wasn't expecting it to be so easy :messenger_grinning_sweat: i was expecting something like stormveil castle.

edit: well i haven't started the festival yet. i was expecting to fight my way through the castle is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom