• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Raphael

i just edited my post :)

haven't started the festival.

edit: apparently
the castle is empty because i've progressed ranni's quest and blaidd cleared it out.
After you will kill the area boss you need to go back to the npc, exhaust his dialog and rest a few times and stuff will get back to a state as before - repopulating the place, unlocking the doors etc.

Last edited:

Cyborg

Shouldn't be an issue, but to avoid any ban risks I'd start again

It's possible, though its not too hard to get, are you after an early weapon or dupe?

Congrats, Crucible Knights were the bane of my playthrough, still are
I'm early in the game and I want Rivers of Blood Katana. I was wondering if anyone could drop that for me?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Have any of you finally gotten a weapon that you were seeking and then disappointed when you finally got it? The Blasphemous blade is one such weapon for me. It put me into a mega heavy roll and the weapon super power wasn’t quite as OP as I was expecting, even with 60 faith. I had 20 endurance and it’s looking like I’ll need to pump more into that before I can use the way I’ve been playing…ugh

draliko

I finally beat Maliketh this morning!!! Decided to go back to the mountains and kill a few bosses and level up to around 108.

Ended up using Rotten Breath on him initially and letting his health dwindle down to nearly nothing and finally used a black fire ball to finish him off. Epic fight.
Maliketh is tearing me apart even at lvl140... problem is i experimented too much with the build and now it's awful, probably going to respec to a meele shield build, still haven't tried it, or simply cheese it with carian and call it a day

Maliketh is tearing me apart even at lvl140... problem is i experimented too much with the build and now it's awful, probably going to respec to a meele shield build, still haven't tried it, or simply cheese it with carian and call it a day
It’s easily the hardest boss in the game in my opinion. The attacks are so wide and powerful. Try to use ranged weapons/items/magic that will mean constant health loss and run the fuck away.

Edit: for what it is worth, I am a heavy faith build using the winged scythe. I also recommend using Mimic Tear +10 just to take some of the aggro.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I know that Crumbling Farum Azula is pretty much the final area of the game. I understand that I can best the fire giant and pretty much head there, I think. My question is does going there cause the capital to burn or could I go there, explore, and then go back to main game before the capital gets burned? I still have a lot to do but I want to get access to higher tier weapons.

iorek21

I know that Crumbling Farum Azula is pretty much the final area of the game. I understand that I can best the fire giant and pretty much head there, I think. My question is does going there cause the capital to burn or could I go there, explore, and then go back to main game before the capital gets burned? I still have a lot to do but I want to get access to higher tier weapons.
Just don't kill the area boss.

my progress today… finished off caelid. i probably have missed a lot of stuff but i couldnt be bothered looking about cause i dont like that area. mostly done some bosses in caves/catacombs. headed to redmane castle and killed radahn first try.

went to nokron. the mimic fight was pretty cool. the area after that i skipped most the enemies. i fucking hate those big cunts with the horns. the big fox was wrecking my shit so noped outta there. i did fight the ancestral boss. the two knight dudes before the gargoyle fight i avoided them. usually i wouldnt skip like this but i am sure iam a bit over levelled so whatever,

the dual gargoyle fight is the hardest fight ive had in the game and im 58 hours in. took me about 15 attempts and i summoned for help for the first time. the person helping me died so i had to finish off the fight myself but luckily there was only about 1/4 of health left. the fight is buggy because sometimes the gargoyle wouldnt jump down at the start.

so now im in deeproot depths. ill go do that tomorrow but it looks like a small area so hopefully i can fuck off to the ground map again. im getting sick of the underground areas.

Last edited by a moderator:

iorek21

To clarify, me going there won’t ruin my game but killing Malekith will cause irreversible damage to capital right? I’m playing it on XSX and can’t easily revert a save.
As far as I know, some quests are locked if you activate the area after the Fire Giant, so be sure to see if you're going to miss out something important.

Other than that, you'll only damage the capital after the boss (and lose some trophy-related items within it).

Freeman76

Summoning must be fucked on XSX, im outside godskin duo for over 20 mins not seen a single sign. In other games in the series this would be a busy one for summons, I spent hours at Ornstein and Smough

Im level 120 maybe too low?

Last edited:

Joho79

Have any of you finally gotten a weapon that you were seeking and then disappointed when you finally got it? The Blasphemous blade is one such weapon for me. It put me into a mega heavy roll and the weapon super power wasn’t quite as OP as I was expecting, even with 60 faith. I had 20 endurance and it’s looking like I’ll need to pump more into that before I can use the way I’ve been playing…ugh
I could not disagree more. That sword has carried me all the way. The weapon art destroys and has good range too.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I could not disagree more. That sword has carried me all the way. The weapon art destroys and has good range too.
You wouldn’t be the only one. I’m just saying that I acquired it expecting it to be new weapon but I haven’t had as much fun using it as I had hoped. Mainly because I am going to have to invest in too many more stats (endurance) to keep using it.
For the time being it looks like I’ll be sticking to my uchikatana and morning star.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
As far as I know, some quests are locked if you activate the area after the Fire Giant, so be sure to see if you're going to miss out something important.

Other than that, you'll only damage the capital after the boss (and lose some trophy-related items within it).
Any idea what quests might get locked out with specific NPCs. It’s not exactly easy to look up that info.

Joho79

You wouldn’t be the only one. I’m just saying that I acquired it expecting it to be new weapon but I haven’t had as much fun using it as I had hoped. Mainly because I am going to have to invest in too many more stats (endurance) to keep using it.
For the time being it looks like I’ll be sticking to my uchikatana and morning star.
Yes you probably have to respec. I dw it with a gargoyle blackblade. One shot Maliketh with that setup.

Hinedorf

Banned
I'm still on Malenia......been stuck on her for 2 weeks now and I refuse to give up before proceeding past the story arc just after killing the fire giant.

I've had her down to like 3% and died so I know it's going to happen soon but.....AHHHHHHHHH

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
the balance of the game is pretty much fucked up already
How so?

I thought it was pretty well balanced. In most open world games (specially those from Bethesda) I always end up feeling like an unstoppable killing machine, while ER managed to keep the challenge all the way through. Really appreciated that.

I played as an STR/FTH dude in armor + shield. Maybe it's less balanced towards other playstyles?

Last edited:

mansoor1980

How so?

I thought it was pretty well balanced. In most open world games (specially those from Bethesda) I always end up feeling like an unstoppable killing machine, while ER managed to keep the challenge all the way through. Really appreciated that.

I played as an STR/FTH dude in armor + shield. Maybe it's less balanced towards other playstyles?
i just feel that a custom class where you can distribute points yourself at the start would be a nice option

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
i just feel that a custom class where you can distribute points yourself at the start would be a nice option
It could be cool! Maybe with all the stats starting at 5 or 8 so your custom class isn't too OP. Like imagine having a SL1 char with everything set at 1 but with 70 points put into STR... Poor Margit would die on two hits.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Messing around with planning out my character now that I'm coming up on level 50.

People seem really unsure of the co-op meta still. Most common place for people to stop leveling is 120 but it seems a lot of people are doing 100 or 150. That's a big spread.

We have any consensus here?

Seeing posts where people are like level 376 ... that's fucking crazy.

Edit: Seems the 150 crowd is for NG+.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Messing around with planning out my character now that I'm coming up on level 50.

People seem really unsure of the co-op meta still. Most common place for people to stop leveling is 120 but it seems a lot of people are doing 100 or 150. That's a big spread.

Ive summoned several people level 250+ when im only 119.

The system is different in this one, and the PvP is nowhere near as much of a thing as it was in previous titles which was the while point of limits in the first place. Nobody would care about builds for co op play lol

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Ive summoned several people level 250+ when im only 119.

That's interesting ... maybe it tapers off at higher levels and the ranges increase?

I know for sure I tried getting summoned at Godric and only succeeded once at level 49. See a lot of other people say about the same though those posters were more like 60-70.

The system is different in this one, and the PvP is nowhere near as much of a thing as it was in previous titles which was the while point of limits in the first place.

Not sure I agree here. PvP is still a lot of fun, especially at lower levels, and is very much a "thing."

Nobody would care about builds for co op play lol

Not so much the builds but the level ranges - which is what I was asking about. I enjoy helping others beat bosses a lot. Its one of my favorite things to do so I don't want to level too high and not be able to get summoned. Which is why I asked the question to begin with.

Freeman76

That's interesting ... maybe it tapers off at higher levels and the ranges increase?

I know for sure I tried getting summoned at Godric and only succeeded once at level 49. See a lot of other people say about the same though those posters were more like 60-70.

Not sure I agree here. PvP is still a lot of fun, especially at lower levels, and is very much a "thing."

Not so much the builds but the level ranges - which is what I was asking about. I enjoy helping others beat bosses a lot. Its one of my favorite things to do so I don't want to level too high and not be able to get summoned. Which is why I asked the question to begin with.

What I'm saying is they have steered away from people crippling their builds at a certain level which was always a community idea in the first place. It's a lot more in favour of co op than PvP this time around which is why they reduced the invasion mechanic so much and built the game around summons with the spirits, pools etc. I wouldnt be surprised if they bring out some sort of colliseum type DLC for the pvp crowd though. Im not saying PvP isnt enjoyable, its just takes more of a back seat than it has in the past which is why I think the level range mechanic is different. Either that or its bugged. I just fought Mohg with a level 89 and a level 232.

On Xbox I think the co op is bugged anyway, no summon signs in a lot of places you would expect to be really busy for example.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
What I'm saying is they have steered away from people crippling their builds at a certain level which was always a community idea in the first place. It's a lot more in favour of co op than PvP this time around which is why they reduced the invasion mechanic so much and built the game around summons with the spirits, pools etc. I wouldnt be surprised if they bring out some sort of colliseum type DLC for the pvp crowd though. Im not saying PvP isnt enjoyable, its just takes more of a back seat than it has in the past which is why I think the level range mechanic is different. Either that or its bugged. I just fought Mohg with a level 89 and a level 232.

On Xbox I think the co op is bugged anyway, no summon signs in a lot of places you would expect to be really busy for example.
Those are all good points man.

I realize the level ranges for summons are different but an 89 and a 232 in the same fight? That's gotta be a bug right? 232 would just wreck the boss while you guys sit back, no? Even with a 3x-health-Mohg.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

175-200 should be the meta honestly. Elden Ring is so much bigger than previous Souls games that you can easily reach those levels in 1.5 play through. Previous soul games took around 2.5 play throughs to reach meta. Not to mention that many attributes still have value at level 80. In previous soul games going beyond level 50 was pointless.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Our Soulsborne expert Dave Klein is here with another ten things about Elden Ring. At this point, episode five will be getting into some late game content, so you have been warned for potential spoilers! Did you know you can use Mohg's Shackle on Mohg, Lord of Blood? What about Ruins Greatsword, one of the best colossal swords? Or the secret in Sellia, Town of Sorcery? And why is the big jellyfish in Stargazer's Ruins so sad?

#EldenRing
00:12 - Stargazers’ Ruins
01:16 - Margit’s Shackle can be used again
01:51 - The Purifying Crystal Tear
03:24 - The other Mohg Strategy
04:18 - Redmane Castle Ain’t Over Yet
05:15 - Distinguishing Mausoleums
06:05 - The Secret of Sellia
06:47 - Two Mohgwyn Palace Entrances
07:47 - The Hermit Village
08:37 - Exploding Concoctions

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My favorite song so far has been this one:

Yuka Kitamura did Formidable Foe I. She’s the amazing talent behind Dark Souls and Sekiro. There’s such a diverse group of talent on the OST. This particular track is an experience if you have a good pair of speakers/headphones.

TintoConCasera

Call me a basic bitch, but I really liked the theme used in most miniboss fights.

Loving the game but I wish it encouraged more different weapon use. It could be fixed by changing the way the smithing stones and such work. Right now you need a 1, 2, 3, 4 etc for a single weapon. They could change that so that if you picked up a smithing stone 5 for example it would let you take a weapon up to +5. It would contain the 1-4 in itself. Or they could just add more stones. I don't know I'm only half way or so through so maybe you can get more later? Hopefully. So far it's my only real complaint. I'm basically just using 2 weapons and I'd rather be able to experiment with say 10 different weapons that interest me and then use the ones I like best.

Last edited:
Loving the game but I wish it encouraged more different weapon use. It could be fixed by changing the way the smithing stones and such work. Right now you need a 1, 2, 3, 4 etc for a single weapon. They could change that so that if you picked up a smithing stone 5 for example it would let you take a weapon up to +5. It would contain the 1-4 in itself. Or they could just add more stones. I don't know I'm only half way or so through so maybe you can get more later? Hopefully. So far it's my only real complaint. I'm basically just using 2 weapons and I'd rather be able to experiment with say 10 different weapons that interest me and then use the ones I like best.
Yes it's a nice system blown up to ridiculous levels. Even though you can theoretically acquire the means to purchase most smithing stones except for the very highest tier of upgrade, it's an involved process that extends up to the very late game, so you're usually locked to a handful of weapons leaving little room for experimentation.

It's crazy that character respec is an easier process than trying out different weapons once you're far enough that you're depending on highly upgraded ones. We should have gotten weapon respecs too.

SkylineRKR

What I hate about the upgrade system is that you have to buy low level stones, though they did lower the cost. Later on they hardly drop anymore and you can't pick them up again ofcourse.

I also don't like how expensive it is. Some upgrades costs like 10k per step. Its mostly I have to grind runes again, instead of not having the materials. You can offset this by using some insane grinding stop but i'm not there yet.

Just found the Four Belfries. I chose gate number one.

Holy fuck

Those gates are worthless besides the item you can get. Suicide run them. I only liked the grafted scion area.

Top Bottom