• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

DelireMan7

Loving the game but I wish it encouraged more different weapon use. It could be fixed by changing the way the smithing stones and such work. Right now you need a 1, 2, 3, 4 etc for a single weapon. They could change that so that if you picked up a smithing stone 5 for example it would let you take a weapon up to +5. It would contain the 1-4 in itself. Or they could just add more stones. I don't know I'm only half way or so through so maybe you can get more later? Hopefully. So far it's my only real complaint. I'm basically just using 2 weapons and I'd rather be able to experiment with say 10 different weapons that interest me and then use the ones I like best.

Yes it's a nice system blown up to ridiculous levels. Even though you can theoretically acquire the means to purchase most smithing stones except for the very highest tier of upgrade, it's an involved process that extends up to the very late game, so you're usually locked to a handful of weapons leaving little room for experimentation.

It's crazy that character respec is an easier process than trying out different weapons once you're far enough that you're depending on highly upgraded ones. We should have gotten weapon respecs too.

I have the feeling I had a very different experience. I upgraded a dozen of weapons during my playthrough without many block point.
Around 30h/35h I was block because I didn't have the 1/2 Smithing stones (before patch) then I unlocked the ability to buy them. Since then it was never a problem again and I never had to buy any other smithing stone above (2) tier.

Yesterday I picked up a new boss weapons and could directly to +9 without buying anything. Same on my previous session.

It might be due to the fact I explored a lot. I agree that the smithing stone seems rare at the beginning and can limit the upgrade but exploration probably fix that. Nonetheless it can be a pain when you need some, I agree.

Bartski

Gold Member
liar ahead

Hq1m0xb.jpg

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
The incantation Pest Threads, from Gowry's Shack, is fantastic. It's that ability the spider-man things in the crystal cave shoot at you. Fucks shit up from range when your faith is high.

acidagfc

Yes it's a nice system blown up to ridiculous levels. Even though you can theoretically acquire the means to purchase most smithing stones except for the very highest tier of upgrade, it's an involved process that extends up to the very late game, so you're usually locked to a handful of weapons leaving little room for experimentation.

It's crazy that character respec is an easier process than trying out different weapons once you're far enough that you're depending on highly upgraded ones. We should have gotten weapon respecs too.
This would completely break the balance as you can find Somber Stones 8 and 9 absolutely unguarded in Caelid, so you'd get to them in about 3 minutes after getting your horse.
I feel like like regular stones could be compacted from 25 to maybe 12, but by the endgame you have unlimited stones anyway and recent patch also added lower level stones to vendors, so they are less of a pain to find.

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
Just defeated Malenia. What a rush. Had her down to literally a sliver of health and then died. Despair. Over an hour later and I couldn’t get her down nearly that far. Wife says, it’s time to stop, you won’t get it today just try again tomorrow.

Next run got her without even using a healing flask, godtier fight. Whole body was shaking from adrenaline haha. That’s why we go one more!

No video game gives the feelings From games do. Elden Ring is S tier GOAT level.

Just defeated Malenia. What a rush. Had her down to literally a sliver of health and then died. Despair. Over an hour later and I couldn’t get her down nearly that far. Wife says, it’s time to stop, you won’t get it today just try again tomorrow.

Next run got her without even using a healing flask, godtier fight. Whole body was shaking from adrenaline haha. That’s why we go one more!

No video game gives the feelings From games do. Elden Ring is S tier GOAT level.
i love that feeling of winning a fight and you can feel your heart pounding. i can't think of any other game that makes me feel like that.

i had it last night after defeating the dual gargoyles. they were the hardest fight yet for me. i was getting frustrated but i stuck with it. i kept saying one more shot then i'm done but i kept going.

sekiro's final boss fight was an amazing experience. frustrating but once i finally killed him it felt so good. i'm looking forward to the malenia fight.

Just spent the past week on optional stuff. Volcano manor, Rania and Milicient questlines and getting the ball bearings. Feels like I'm specing and upgrading to prep for Malenia lol. Even farmed the sick Cleanrot armor in Caelid.

Freeman76

Is godskin duo just not a place people co op? 3 days ive been on and off checking and never seen a summon sign there once. If i put mine down i never get summoned. Works fine in other places so its not my connection. Any ideas? Im level 130

Mephisto40

Is godskin duo just not a place people co op? 3 days ive been on and off checking and never seen a summon sign there once. If i put mine down i never get summoned. Works fine in other places so its not my connection. Any ideas? Im level 130
There is another entrance into that boss fight where people tend to drop their summon signs, but yes, it's still hard to pick up a summon for that boss for some reason

Switching from pure physical to physical + faith (prioritize faith over str/dex) hybrid at lvl 100ish can significantly increase your damage and can makes things a little more interesting as you can combine your playstyle with incantations. There's this turning point where going hybrid like this scales better than just all out str/dex.

Switching from pure physical to physical + faith (prioritize faith over str/dex) hybrid at lvl 100ish can significantly increase your damage and can makes things a little more interesting as you can combine your playstyle with incantations. There's this turning point where going hybrid like this scales better than just all out str/dex.
i'm all str/dex now but have been thinking about respec but i don't know what to do. plus i probably have sold a lot of good gear for such a build. i have a habit of selling stuff. i have a shit load of spells though.

200 hours later, got my plat. This game dominated my life for the past 5 weeks, it's time for Father Milk to rest his weary head, good luck to my fellow Tarnished. 🙏
how much have you been playing? i got the game on launch and i'm only ~60 hours in :messenger_tears_of_joy: i'm enjoying the game but i still feel a long time off. i wish i had more time to play :(

Jennings

I just completed my first run on Elden Ring tonight.

315 hours played, level 195. Confessor. My primary combat stats were Dex/Faith with about a 60/60 in each.

I played the game 100% blind and avoided all discussion and videos about the game. I also played on Xbox One, and since I don't subscribe to Gamepass or Live Gold I played without the ability to see messages or bloodstains, and lacked the ability to help others or get invaded by players.

In short, the game is just amazing, and I was still discovering whole new regions right up until the very end. And I know for a fact there's still more to discover in future playthroughs because I avoided certain quests/allegiences in the name of roleplaying, and there were still several inaccessible areas that I suspect are directly unlocked/related to these allegiances.

A simple Flail carried me through the first third of the game. I kept it maxed out as best as could as I progressed, and almost exclusively used the Wild Swings art for massive blood loss and freeze buildup (with a certain whetstone). Wild Swings was the ultimate boss killer during this period, just laying waste to everything.

The Winged Scythe carried me through the rest of the game, and it was a fantastic Faith/Dex weapon, especially because of how the skills allows me to leap forward toward mobile or aggressive enemies from a distance.

I also used Vyke's spear later on to deal with birds, best solution I had for them. And started relying on the Godslayer sword during a few endgame fights where other weapons just weren't curring it, most notably that horrendous bitch, Malenia.

The hardest boss in the game for me, BY FAR, was Malenia. I was stuck on her for a solid week while still exploring and leveling up along the way in an effort to match her. And oh boy did that pay off, when I managed to find an item nearby that made a huge difference in my survivability during that fight.

My favorite Spirit summon was Headless Luhtel, and I used him almost exclusively during all boss fights. He was my first legendary Spirit and he was one hell of a tank during almost every encounter. I didn't use him for Malenia though, relying instead on the Avionette Soldiers because they're insane and do a much better job of helping me break poise. The drawback was adding another body to a fight which actually helps her, but the payoff was that Headless Luhtel can't hold her attention like them.

I'm on the fence about starting a new character or playing NG+. I would love to try a drastically new and different build, but I feel a bit overwhelmed having to farm all the same talisman and weapons again.

This game surprised me time and time again, and I was fully enraptured since the start.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

I just completed my first run on Elden Ring tonight.

315 hours played, level 195. Confessor. My primary combat stats were Dex/Faith with about a 60/60 in each.

I played the game 100% blind and avoided all discussion and videos about the game. I also played on Xbox One, and since I don't subscribe to Gamepass or Live Gold I played without the ability to see messages or bloodstains, a d lacked the ability to help others or get invaded by players.

In short, the game is just amazing, and I was still discovering whole new regions right up until the very end. And I kmow for a fact there's still more to discover in future playthroughs because I avoided certain quests/allegiences in the name of roleplaying, and there were still several inaccessible areas that I suspect are directly unlocked/related to these allegiances.

A simple Flail carried me through the first third of the game. I kept it maxed out as best as could as I progressed, and almost exclusively used the Wild Swings art for massive blood loss and freeze buildup (with a certain whetstone). Wild Swings was the ultimate boss killed during this period, just laying waste to everything.

The Winged Scythe carried me through the rest of the game, and it was a fantastic Faith/Dex weapon, especially because of how the skills allows me to leap forward toward mobile or aggressive enemies from a distance.

I also used Vyke's spear later on to deal with birds, best solution I had for them. And started relying on the Godslayer sword during a few endgame fights where other weapons just weren't curring it, most notably that horrendous bitch, Malenia.

The hardest boss in the game for me, BY FAR, was Malenia. I was stuck on her for a solid week while still exploring and leveling up along the way in an effort to match her. And oh boy did that pay off, when I managed to find an item nearby that made a huge difference in my survivability during that fight.

My favorite Spirit summon was Headless Luhtel, and I used him almist exclusively during all boss fights. He was my first legendary Spirit and he was one hell of a tank during almost every encounter. I didn't use him for Malenia though, relying instead on the Avionette Soldiers because they're insane a d do a much better job of helping me break poise. The drawback was adding another body to a fight which actually helps her, but the payoff was that Headless Luhtel can't hold her attention like them.

I'm on the fence about starting a new character or playing NG+. I would love to try a drastically new and different build, but I feel a bit overwhelmed having to farm all the same talisman and weapons again.

This game surprised me time and time again, and I was fully enraptured since the start.
lvl 195? i finished on lvl 196
impressive , very nice

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I faced the Fire Giant with the help of my Pot friend and I took him out on the first attempt. Pretty great trip thought up the mountain. The Mimic is the best summon by far. I get Mimic up and summon an in world friend, and I feel pretty good about my chances.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I faced the Fire Giant with the help of my Pot friend and I took him out on the first attempt. Pretty great trip thought up the mountain. The Mimic is the best summon by far. I get Mimic up and summon an in world friend, and I feel pretty good about my chances.
Did you get the invader in that area before fighting that foe? The invader won’t trigger if you beat that boss first. They’re near the church.

SJRB

Gold Member
This game never stops being amazing.

Somehow you're in a hole deep underground called Nokstella and you get on an elevator expecting to go up, but in fact you go even deeper down and end up in a place called "Lake of Rot" that is this disgusting, desease-ridden area.

So crazy.

benno

Got this on PC but just double dipped to play with friends on PS5. Noticed straight away that the audio was muffled on PS5.

Turns out in your PS5 console audio settings if you set the audio to TV then it rolls off the top end and boosts the bass, sounds muddy as hell. Change it to AV amp and it matches the PC audio.

Last edited:

SCB3

Fuck me is Malenia hard, she has at least 4 moves that will one shot you at 50 Vigor, its ridiculous, that Waterfowl dance can fuck right off, esp. the 2nd phase

The really annoying thing is I bear her but died as she did, didn't count

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

Time to backstab your wife when shes sleeping

SCB3

Does anyone know if I can go and beat Lichdragon Fortissax if I've finished the game with a different ending? Or is it NG+ for that, only missing a few trophies for the platinum

j0hnnix

I have been spending time running around, finding things and I'm right at the end. I feel like I'm missing things, but should finish it to get to ng+, this game has taken over my library lol. I hope there is dlc.

Saber

Does anyone know if I can go and beat Lichdragon Fortissax if I've finished the game with a different ending? Or is it NG+ for that, only missing a few trophies for the platinum

I think you can beat it anytime. I don't remember having a wall to block you from it, its area is unnaffected by story progress.

Mr Moose

Fuck me is Malenia hard, she has at least 4 moves that will one shot you at 50 Vigor, its ridiculous, that Waterfowl dance can fuck right off, esp. the 2nd phase

The really annoying thing is I bear her but died as she did, didn't count
I wish her Katana was as good as it is when she uses it :messenger_crying:
I respec'd to 60 arc and fucked her up with blood spells/Rivers of Blood.

Yes, you should be able to. Killing Fia is only way to make fighting him impossible as far as I know.

SCB3

I think you can beat it anytime. I don't remember having a wall to block you from it, its area is unnaffected by story progress.
Yes, you should be able to. Killing Fia is only way to make fighting him impossible as far as I know.

Thanks, I'm not sure where that area is yet, but the wiki just says you need to beat it to do that quest but not mentioning if you needed to progress it first like Ranni's was

I also realised I didn't even touch the Sewers in the Capital either for Mohg, so I have technically 3 bosses left to beat (1 optional one in Crumbing Azul as well)

I wish her Katana was as good as it is when she uses it :messenger_crying:
I respec'd to 60 arc and fucked her up with blood spells/Rivers of Blood.

I used a Cold Uchikatana +25, Rivers of Blood +10, Frost/Blood build is fantastic against her

Last edited:
Performance still sucks on ps5 guys. Still stuttering all the time. Is it safe to assume at this point that their never going to fix the framerate? I'm starting to lose hope.

Mr Moose

Wanted the white mask but didn't know if you killed the boss in the area you can't fight the invaders :messenger_weary:
I will have to get the Lord of Blood's Exultation instead (wish I had both :messenger_weary:).
Performance still sucks on ps5 guys. Still stuttering all the time. Is it safe to assume at this point that their never going to fix the framerate? I'm starting to lose hope.
Don't play in quality mode, its horrible in that mode, mostly fine in the other.

Top Bottom