• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Mr Moose

what is that?

what giant?
Rivers of Blood Katana.
I think it was about here on the map:
eldenringmountaintop.jpg

luffie

I was ofcourse exaggerating when i said nobody but maybe your class effect the enjoyment you get from the end game area too much? I went for more of a strength/arcane route where you have to get really close to the enemies and let me tell you regardless of your level there are a lot of attacks that can one shot you.

Personally i didnt have much issue with them since my vigor was 60+ but i do understand where people coming from when they complain about the unfairness of end game part
Of course, heavy telegraphed attacks tend to be 1 hit kill, especially the last boss', but i can allow that, we are fighting a god after all. And that's where the perfume comes in :)
Also, vigor 40... I like to live dangerously...

Yeah, the build definitely affects, and also playstyle. Dual wielding Katana with Bleed & Frost, but I was getting wrecked by Malenia, and there was 1 fight with her she even ended up full health as she killed me.

I decided to change my entire playstyle, and use Bloodhound and attacked only with 2 spells, Adulla's Moonblade or Rock Sling when I'm very far. Change half of my estus to FP too to maintain the fp.

It was an excellent dance as Adulla's hit close and ranged with the extra frost beam, I played it very safe out of close range and managed to defeat her. I utilized the same tactics with final boss and it worked wonders, with the only downside you will have to sustain FP. So I can see how frustrating when you have to get them up close.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

Of course, heavy telegraphed attacks tend to be 1 hit kill, especially the last boss', but i can allow that, we are fighting a god after all. And that's where the perfume comes in :)
Also, vigor 40... I like to live dangerously...

Yeah, the build definitely affects, and also playstyle. Dual wielding Katana with Bleed & Frost, but I was getting wrecked by Malenia, and there was 1 fight with her she even ended up full health as she killed me.

I decided to change my entire playstyle, and use Bloodhound and attacked only with 2 spells, Adulla's Moonblade or Rock Sling when I'm very far. Change half of my estus to FP too to maintain the fp.

It was an excellent dance as Adulla's hit close and ranged with the extra frost beam, I played it very safe out of close range and managed to defeat her. I utilized the same tactics with final boss and it worked wonders, with the only downside you will have to sustain FP. So I can see how frustrating when you have to get them up close.
Ironically i didnt even realise malenia was hard until i checked online. Blood katana at max and mimic tear +10 went through her smoothly on my 5th try. I guess thats the beauty of fromsoft games.

I have to play this game with a magic/faith built again in the future.

Not now though. I am one and done with the game for the time being.

beat mohg and then died losing 120,000 runes :( that was a waste of time!

went through forbidden lands and got to the mountain of giants area. decided to rebirth but i don't really know what i'm doing. i've basically took some away from str/dex and built up arcane since i have a uchigatana/nagakiba with bleed ashes. so hopefully that makes them more effective.

really need a break from this game now lol. been playing for about 10 hours today. on a side note: elden ring is 1 hour 20 minutes away from being my #3 most played game on steam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder.

If you're the host and summoning in random people for coop'ing a boss. Don't be the dude hurtling yourself at the boss only to get killed 20 seconds into the fight. lol.

Stay back a bit and let the coop people act as tanks. You're trying to beat the boss, we're trying to get some runes. It's a two-way street.

Been helping people kill Morgott, the one at the Capital. It's actually pretty damn easy but people just stay all up in his grill and get wrecked, lol.

Just a reminder.

If you're the host and summoning in random people for coop'ing a boss. Don't be the dude hurtling yourself at the boss only to get killed 20 seconds into the fight. lol.

Stay back a bit and let the coop people act as tanks. You're trying to beat the boss, we're trying to get some runes. It's a two-way street.

Been helping people kill Morgott, the one at the Capital. It's actually pretty damn easy but people just stay all up in his grill and get wrecked, lol.
what pisses me off more is co-op dudes dying. if you can't beat the boss consistently don't bother leaving a sign. people summon for help not for you to die right away.

luffie

Just a reminder.

lmao, same, helped someone killed Renalla, only for them to be killed near the last moments. Like chill, let me take the brunt.

what pisses me off more is co-op dudes dying. if you can't beat the boss consistently don't bother leaving a sign. people summon for help not for you to die right away.
That too.

A host last night named Bennn. I wish I would have saved the footage. Dude is a mage, and the only one running directly at Morgott. Bennn then has a staring contest while casting a pathetic spell. Bennn gets 1 shot like 7 seconds into the fight. lol

Last edited:
Damn I completely missed Rya quest, I notice that after beating Rykard and now it will affect other quest

Loving this game so far, 100 hours, level 130, and I believe I just entered the last region, though I feel I'm still underleveled, so I will have to grind/farm for a little bit

what is that?

what giant?

The Fire (Red) Giant is the last boss in Mountaintops of the Giants.

It is really easy by using Bloodhound Claws (especially because of its special movement to evade attacks by becoming invisible) and the Swarm of Flies incantation, it is way easier than using any other build, or abusing any existing glitch

Majukun

finished the ranni questline thanks to a guide... got stuck at
having to talk to her doll, three times. at a specific grace
still not sure how from software thinks anyone would be able to reach the end of any questline without a walkthrough or extreme luck...they don't give you nearly enough information most of the time.

still not sure how from software thinks anyone would be able to reach the end of any questline without a walkthrough or extreme luck...they don't give you nearly enough information most of the time.
for a while i was thinking they've made the quests easier but yeah they are still the same really. no way i'd have got to the end of ranni's quest on my own. i almost completely missed an important item in her quest. if i hadn't been constantly checking the steps i'd have missed it for sure.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man Leyndell is just insanely large, but the way it loops around catches me by surprise every single time. Amazing level design.

Yeah Ranni's quest is filled with random bullshit, there's no way I could've done it without a guide.

Man Leyndell is just insanely large, but the way it loops around catches me by surprise every single time. Amazing level design.

Yeah Ranni's quest is filled with random bullshit, there's no way I could've done it without a guide.
i was so proud of myself for getting through leyndell quickly but then realised i hadn't got to the end of it and i missed a huge chunk of it out :messenger_tears_of_joy:. i still haven't seen it all but i'm done with it now. i don't think i've missed anything important so i don't care.

the underground area is quite easy to miss and the underground area has another area to it. there is also a hidden area after a boss which goes even further down.

SSfox

Make sure you get the best Katana in the game before beating the fire giant.
I fucked up once with the white mask and beat the boss in the area before getting it :messenger_crying:
Yeah i encountered the fire giant guy (he looks like Ares in GOW btw lol) like 4 days ago, then i heard about that thing that once you beat him you can't go back or do other stuffs, so i stopped fighting him and goes back doing other stuffs.

Found a lot of secrets, new places and also secrets stuffs in places i've been before. But now i think i may go for that Giant fire dude, i just can't wait lol , he should also be easy now i'm way stronger than i've been in our first encounter.

Last edited:

GHG

i'm questioning myself now lol. as far as i know i've missed a couple items in the city. there are few minor field bosses i've skipped. there was a hidden area full of corpses but i think i only need to go there if i want a certain ending.

i'm not going back now :)

If you didn't go underground then you missed a big area.

GHG

i did go underground.

went down the well in the subterranean shunning grounds, done the catacombs, beat mohg, and accessed the hidden area.

Well in that case you most likely only missed stuff on rooftops and bits you can circle back to after defeating godfrey.

Well in that case you most likely only missed stuff on rooftops and bits you can circle back to after defeating godfrey.
already killed him and morgot. i'm in the mountain of the giants area now.

edit: maybe not. i only fought the ghost version.

GHG

already killed him and morgot. i'm in the mountain of the giants area now.

edit: maybe not. i only fought the ghost version.

Yeh that's the version I mean, the shade version. There are some items there that are only accessible after beating him.

Last edited:
i'm questioning myself now lol. as far as i know i've missed a couple items in the city. there are few minor field bosses i've skipped. there was a hidden area full of corpses but i think i only need to go there if i want a certain ending.

i'm not going back now :)

You’ll be back, I’m sure 😂

skit_data

Just platinumed it.
3 playthroughs, total 95 hours and no save scumming.

Unlike most From Softwares game I’ve platinumed before it feels like there’s a ton more that I haven’t discovered yet. Gonna do a more slow playthrough to explore every nook and cranny.

IMO the easiest platinum of From Softwares games, but also the one that leaves a lot to be explored after ”100%”-ing it. Tons of places, armors, weapons, spells and incantations left to find.

I’d say it’s tied with Bloodborne as the best ”soulsborne” with DS1 close second. A lot of great stuff from DS2 make a return as well.

SkylineRKR

To the person that designed Gelmir’s Hero Grave - who hurt you?

Take Bloodhound step, and perhaps flame fortification. Step through the lava past the chariot. Take joke weapon. Fall down, boss room. But ofcourse, there is some loot along the proper way as well.

I liked it. I hated the Snowfield catacomb the most. And Auriza.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I liked the first part of Haligtree. I used Greatbow at the roots, picking off most enemies from range. Only that big envoy was an issue, but I ran and evaded projectiles until I was underneath. The rest of the place was pretty good. Also Dragon spells are great, they go through walls.

I'm now at
Elphael
and I beat
Loretta
without Summon and with an Occult Zweihander+20. The problem with like 90% of all bosses is, there isn't much leeway. The longest recovery is probably 2 seconds tops. But to be fair, the best strategy was full on the offense. Stay close, evade the swings and punish with jumping R2s. If you manage to get hits in without too much pause, you get a nice stagger. But I feel this is sort of like Bloodborne without its agility, making me feel more handicapped. Ofcourse you can summon, apply Rot etc. But I rather not resort to that.

This game requires you to not panic roll, but only roll when the swing is about to hit you. Just wait, and even take the hit so that it will become part of muscle memory. Better than evading too soon. Only evade when there is an actual attack coming your way. Its kind of tough to do, but I eventually manage to kill bosses with pure melee.

Its just, you can also make the game very easy with Tiche, Mimic etc. Rotten Breath, Blasphemous Blade. Somehow I feel the encounters are made with summoning in mind. Like the parts where 10 enemies close in on you, or the duo bosses.

Last edited:

Xerazal

Neo Member
So after dumping about 180 hours into the game, getting all 3 endings, and getting about 83% of the achievements, I can say that while I thoroughly enjoy the game, there are some design decisions I really don't like.

1) bosses, especially late game ones, are a game of waiting your turn. Especially one of the final bosses (not spoiling it here, but anyone who's completed the game will know who i'm talking about), where the boss will do an attack, flip into the air like 3 times, attack again, do another 2 flips, then slam down with an AOE. And if you get hit, you take a hit AND also your health will slowly drain for a bit. THEN you can finally get a hit or two in. Many of the bosses late game are like this, where you have to basically dodge like crazy until it finally goes "oh its your turn now btw".

2) some enemies are too aggressive for this combat. This game plays more like dark souls, whereas these enemies feel like they'd be right at home in bloodborne. What do I mean by this? your animations in ER (and the dark souls series) take longer to perform compared to bloodborne. So if you dodge, the time it takes for the animation to play and then for your inputs to be read take longer than it does in bloodborne. Because of this, you're going to play more defensively compared to bloodborne. Its doable, hence why I've completed the game, but it gets annoying dying to an enemy not because I couldn't dodge it, but because I ran out of stamina dodging it and couldn't dodge anymore so ended up getting hit.

3) Going back to bosses, some fights feel like they were designed in a way that push players to use spirits or co-op.

4) I really don't get why people are praising this open world. Don't get me wrong, its a fantastic open world. But its not really that different from other games with open worlds. If anything the world feels kinda static. The only difference being that this game isn't holding your hand with a minimap, questlog, or anything giving you directions. Yes some sites of grace will show you a direction to go, but its more vague, which is a good thing because its not treating you like you're an idiot. Its just nudging you in the right direction, but that's about it. But the world itself doesn't really feel alive. Everything is static for the most part.

Beyond that, everything else about the game is fantastic. The world, the lore, the music, the art direction, its all perfect. Even my criticisms of the open world aren't really criticism of the open world itself, moreso criticism of the praise its getting for not really doing anything special, its just not overloading the player with hints and stuff.

In conclusion

9/10, would touch grass again.

Aesius

Finally switched from my Heavy Longsword +25 to a Warped Axe. It has S scaling for Strength and only 7.5 weight. Swings fast too.

Given the timing difficulty of swinging most of the heavy strength weapons in the game against super fast enemies and bosses, I think this axe might be one of, if not the best strength weapon in the game. It hits very hard but is fast enough to get in a hit or two and then dodge or block.

Mossybrew

Was a bit worried about un-nerfed Radahn in NG+ but nope, still a lil bitch that never even got to his second meteor stage or whatever.

Just platinumed it.
3 playthroughs, total 95 hours and no save scumming.

Unlike most From Softwares game I’ve platinumed before it feels like there’s a ton more that I haven’t discovered yet. Gonna do a more slow playthrough to explore every nook and cranny.

IMO the easiest platinum of From Softwares games, but also the one that leaves a lot to be explored after ”100%”-ing it. Tons of places, armors, weapons, spells and incantations left to find.

I’d say it’s tied with Bloodborne as the best ”soulsborne” with DS1 close second. A lot of great stuff from DS2 make a return as well.
no shit you've missed a ton lol. 95 for 3 play through you must have been rushing right through it. i'm 89 hours in and still got a way to go. i'm only just at the mountaintop of giants.

i've been taking my time to explore the map. the only quests i've focused on are ranni, nephali (?), and kenneth. i've got a handful of bosses/tombs still do in some areas because i was struggling with them so planned on going back later. now i think of it i think i've only done 1 evergaol (the one you get bloodhound fang) lol so i could go do them all. and i definitely missed some stuff in leyndell.

i've still got mountaintop, volcano manor, snowfield, haligtree, farum azula, and mohgwyn to do.

all that said, i do feel like the game is much bigger than it needs to be. maybe you had the right idea of getting through it quickly. it feels like it's open world just for the sake of it. if i ever replay it then i'll not be exploring as much. not because i already have done it but i feel it's not really worth it. i'd probably just follow the grace path more closely and leave out all the optional stuff unless there was an item i wanted.

it reminds me of DS2 a lot and i would love to go back to that when i'm done. bloodborne has been my favourite game and i think it still is. again i feel like the open world kinda ruins it especially because it makes it far too easy to become over levelled. so far i've only had 1 real challenging boss fight. the bosses from caves/tombs are push overs and the main bosses only took 1 or 2 tries. bloodborne is what i wish elden ring was... more compact map with good balance and difficulty.

Freeman76

Yeah the torch description is pretty clear.
But I don't go through all merchants inventories and 100% do not read description on some random torch if I already have a torch.,
Sounds like it's a you problem to me. Souls games are all about reading the text and picking up hints. The parts of the game you're losing sleep over are fine if you pay attention, nothing to do with bad game design. There are also spells that clearly tell you they help with these enemies, and if you dont use magic there are ashes as well. I mean, its pretty obvious that a pack of wolves are gonna hound the assassin for example.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Sounds like it's a you problem to me. Souls games are all about reading the text and picking up hints. The parts of the game you're losing sleep over are fine if you pay attention, nothing to do with bad game design.
Nah dude this was a pretty obscure item. If you already have a torch/lantern, there's no real reason to investigate this item if and when you come across this vendor.

Nah dude this was a pretty obscure item. If you already have a torch/lantern, there's no real reason to investigate this item if and when you come across this vendor.
you talking about the torch you buy from a merchant? the description hints that it reveals invisible assassin's.

i agree with Freeman76 Freeman76 seems like it's a you problem. If i had a torch and saw a new one in a merchants inventory i'd want to know what is so special about this new one. maybe it's better than what i got already. Reading the description would hint that there are enemies it will be useful against.

Freeman76

These ganes are all about obscurity which is why you need to read things. Or go on a forum and shit on the game because you didnt, whatever you wanna spend your energy on dude.

Mossybrew

Or go on a forum and shit on the game because you didnt, whatever you wanna spend your energy on dude.
You're getting the wrong impression. I'm not shitting on the game at all, I'm saying this is one example of many things where you need to go outside of the game to learn. As far as I'm concerned Google is intrinsic to the experience, and I'm not saying it's a bad thing it's just the reality of how this game is structured, you're going to need to "consult the community" so to speak to learn a lot.

And "spend your energy" is weak shit. You're "spending your energy" to reply to me so you're in the same boat dude.

Last edited:
Top Bottom