• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Cyborg

That sounds like rubbish unless they have some other build going.

Arcane directly scales with the Blood affinity giving your weapon 1:1 build-up per point put into the stat. My nagakiba is at 110 (last I looked at it) per hit now with the scaling from 51 Arcane. Without the points in arcane it would be 51 lower, or wherever they start counting.

And you want occult affinity for a + 25 uchigatana or nagakiba, for max raw damage. Occult affinity scales best with Arcane.

And then there is the dragon seal which has an S scaling with Arcane.

So keep your Arcane stat and push it to at least 50. In my testing it still scales well beyond that too, for raw weapon damage. Depending on your main weapon scales. Nagakiba, River of Blood, or Morgotts greatsword all scale with Arc. And Dex and Strength. The Uchi does not, thats only Dex and Str.

Id say 50/50 in Dex/Arcane is ideal for first playthrough with dual katanas. And a little bit of strength, maybe 18 Str.
Does the Dragon Seal make my River of Blood Katana stronger? Or is that just for spells?

SkylineRKR

Does the Dragon Seal make my River of Blood Katana stronger? Or is that just for spells?

Spells. Thing is, I ran 50 faith with Erdtree Seal+9, and i'm pretty sure at 50 Arcane the Dragon seal+9 (ie. Lightning spear) does more damage than the Faith build. On top of that you get boosted Dragon Incantations which are the best offensive incantations anyway. They beat the likes of Fortissax Spear to hell.

I've respecced to Arc build and I've yet to increase my Dex (its at 26 or so), but River+Naga does insane damage + lots of bleed proc. Have Seppuku on my Naga also which I have in the main hand. I'd like to try the Morgott. And the Blasphemous still does good damage at half Faith.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Mine one shotted me in NG+ because I forgot to dismantle. First thing it did was parry me and the follow up finished me off.
I got the Platinum today at around 90 hours and level 183. Getting the Frenzy ending took me the longest because I kept jumping to my death. That whole area is creepy, cool, and frustrating.
01-BEC41-F-0738-4623-83-B3-6516-D1-E13-B89.jpg
Are you talking about the mimic tear boss fight? I'm talking about the mimic tear summon.

ikbalCO

I just finished the game after putting in 120 hours. My most played single player game since botw.

It was an incredible experience but i am not planing on a new game plus since i completed every quest line in my first walkthrough except for the nepheli one.

i got the age of the stars ending. I know there are multiple endings but this one felt like the real one.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Are you talking about the mimic tear boss fight? I'm talking about the mimic tear summon.
In NG+, the boss. I saw that particular topic was being brought up and that came to mind. The summon and how to obtain it. It was the only summon I used just because it was an effective strategy.
the beast would make mince meat out of him. I’d summon it right at the start and my mimic would just run into everything the beast did. I used a Moonveil +10 and did well during that battle, but my +10 mimic didn’t stand a chance. In NG+ I did great at most of the required bosses, but that last battle felt like it had triple the health

ssringo

Gold Member
Just crossed 200 hours and I still haven't finished the game (restarted twice though!). My 5th most played game on Steam behind Dark Souls 1 and 3, Dragon's Dogma and Terraria. Might become my top played in it's current form and definitely will if it gets DLC.

Orbital2060

No. Its just a nice bonus when youve already levelled Arcane up to 50-60. I loved the whole dragon communion thing, and hunting down the bigger dragons for upgraded spells. And it was really useful for the last boss, for example, which seem highly susceptible to one incantation Pest Threads with an 11 Faith req but you can cast it with the Arcane stat.

I just finished the game after putting in 120 hours. My most played single player game since botw.

It was an incredible experience but i am not planing on a new game plus since i completed every quest line in my first walkthrough except for the nepheli one.

i got the age of the stars ending. I know there are multiple endings but this one felt like the real one.
Same ending here. I followed through some other quests but it seemed like a natural thing to do after going through that questline.

ikbalCO

I see a lot of people claiming malenia is the hardest fromsoft boss ever.

Not trying to be an asshole but with the right weapon isn't she like super simple to get through actually?

turns out i was already using the perfect weapon for her. That blood katana is fantastic and at the point where you meet malenia you'd already have enough stones to max level the katana. I just overwhelmed her with my mimic tear mashing LT and beat her in my second try.

Mohg and pre patch radahn were much harder imo.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

So I am 140 hours in of my blind playthrough. I beat Morgott on first try yesterday (lvl 134).

Then... I went to see the Frenzied flame and now Melina left me... But it's not like the game warned me at least 3 times to not do that (I mean the sweet Melina straight up told me that she will kill me if I follow this route xD). But I was thinking "Yeah, yeah, it's a Souls game, I just do that for the reward and unlocking a new quest or ending, there will be no real consequences" xD
I was shocked and afraid I locked myself up from a good part of the end (like the Shura ending of Sekiro) but nobody seems to care at the Roundtable so I guess it's fine. I probably just locked myself from the "classic" ending and unlocked a new one.

DelireMan7

Not trying to be an asshole but with the right weapon isn't she like super simple to get through actually?

turns out i was already using the perfect weapon for her. That blood katana is fantastic and at the point where you meet malenia you'd already have enough stones to max level the katana. I just overwhelmed her with my mimic tear mashing LT and beat her in my second try.

I haven't fought her yet but the general consensus in the community to say a boss is "hard" is in 1v1 condition I think.
Using a summon, especially mimic tear, significantly reduce the difficulty. But nothing bad with that !

There is so many options to ease bosses in this game that the experience will be vastly different across the players.
Lot of hardcore players play only melee, no summons (and I guess this is the conditions consider standard when judging a boss difficulty) and have a much harder time than other players who use the options the game gives them.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

I haven't fought her yet but the general consensus in the community to say a boss is "hard" is in 1v1 condition I think.
Using a summon, especially mimic tear, significantly reduce the difficulty. But nothing bad with that !

There is so many options to ease bosses in this game that the experience will be vastly different across the players.
Lot of hardcore players play only melee, no summons (and I guess this is the conditions consider standard when judging a boss difficulty) and have a much harder time than other players who use the options the game gives them.
Yeah, no. I am not like fromsoft purist so when the game allowed me to use summons, i did.

The other reason why people have problem with her may be they fight her underlevelled.

I was level 159 when i beat her. My vigor was 60 + max vitality talisman + great rune active. I was like making 5000+ damage alone w/o a summon.

Like how hard can a boss be in that situation?

ikbalCO

Other thing i have mention, for someone like me who doesn't like wormlike celestial bosses and prefer humanoid types, elden ring has the best main boss desings ever.

Margit, margott, radahn, niall, godrick, fire giant, rennala, mohg, melania are all top tier boss designs

But,

Nothing beats godfrey 2nd phase. Such a visceral look that perfectly embodies the lore and the feel of elden ring. Also gives me huge sf5 hakan vibes.

Last edited:

slade

Started exploring the Leyndell sewers. Everything was going smoothly. Nothing down here that was much of a challenge except for the crappy platforming... and then I ran into two giant lobsters.

Fuck those guys. Game taught me to be reliant on the Mimic Tear and now I'm getting bent over with those oversized pincers stuck up my backside. Nearly lost 70,000 runes to those two.

Will go back for another go tomorrow.

DelireMan7

Started exploring the Leyndell sewers. Everything was going smoothly. Nothing down here that was much of a challenge except for the crappy platforming... and then I ran into two giant lobsters.

Fuck those guys. Game taught me to be reliant on the Mimic Tear and now I'm getting bent over with those oversized pincers stuck up my backside. Nearly lost 70,000 runes to those two.

I found out that if you aggro them both, they have friendly fire. One almost kill the other one for me.

Once you beat the crabs, be ready for more crappy platforming. I honestly don't know if I love or hate it. The platforming is so stupidly videogamey that it kinda makes me nostalgic. Reminds me of the old Tomb Raider games.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Rivers of Blood is a common weapon used to beat her, but you still need some skill to be able to use that method and be comfortable up close. Using Blasphemous Blade with a +10 mimic is more or less easy mode for that fight. I got her in 4 tries. Would have been 1 if not for that scarlot rot attack.

In all instances, you still have to be able to dodge that scarlett rot dive bomb.

Either way, Malenia represents the brilliance of Elden Ring and proves that game is simultaneously the hardest game From have made for those that want to solo everything and the easiest for those who want to use summons.

slade

Once you beat the crabs, be ready for more crappy platforming. I honestly don't know if I love or hate it. The platforming is so stupidly videogamey that it kinda makes me nostalgic. Reminds me of the old Tomb Raider games.

That platforming already cost me 50,000 runes in these sewers. Thankfully, opening up all those doors gave me at least seven guys worth 2200 runes each. Took the sting off what I had lost.

I found out that if you aggro them both, they have friendly fire. One almost kill the other one for me.

I managed to take down one with the Bolt of Gransax's weapon skill. But then the other one got me from behind. My final run at them, I tried the Bolt of Gransax again but this time, the lightning bolt clipped through the crab. It did it two more times. Somehow this aggro'd the other crab and it made a beeline towards me. The first crab saw this and he decided to join in. I was like:

Oh Come On Jim Carrey GIF

Were you using a guide?

Not bugged, just really well hidden, and definitely not where you're expect them to be.

They can be anywhere on the plateau, not just near the tower.
i couldn't find them. well, i found one next to the tower hanging off the cliff. but i couldn't find the other 2 so i checked a guide. it showed pictures of where they are meant to be but they weren't there in my game. i rested at some sites of grace but still didn't appear.

DelireMan7

i couldn't find them. well, i found one next to the tower hanging off the cliff. but i couldn't find the other 2 so i checked a guide. it showed pictures of where they are meant to be but they weren't there in my game. i rested at some sites of grace but still didn't appear.
It's kind of bugged.

Apparently you have to interact with the imp statue and then look for the turtles. If you fast travel or have any loading time, they will despawn.
Interacting with the imp should make them respawn.
Was still buggy for me.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Made it to the Hailig Erdtree and went down into the castle area. I was doing good, despite the enemies being strong, and then I met 2 or 4 balistas and a Tree Spirit thing, and I think I got hit by all of it. Super Dead.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I would just like to have something on that map that doesn't wanna kill you on sight
I feel you, bro. How I’d like to enjoy a beautiful vista without a fucking colossal archer sniping my butt from 2 miles away or a giant health bar appearing at the bottom of the screen while a choir and bells start playing.

But cue people replying that hey, those squirrels never even tried to attack.

It's kind of bugged.

Apparently you have to interact with the imp statue and then look for the turtles. If you fast travel or have any loading time, they will despawn.
Interacting with the imp should make them respawn.
Was still buggy for me.
thanks :) i'm not going to bother with it. i don't really need the item and not interested in 100% the game.

I feel you, bro. How I’d like to enjoy a beautiful vista without a fucking colossal archer sniping my butt from 2 miles away or a giant health bar appearing at the bottom of the screen while a choir and bells start playing.

But cue people replying that hey, those squirrels never even tried to attack.
lol i hate the cunts with bows. the giants and those horned dudes are the worst. every time i hear the music start to kick in i think "why am i hearing boss music?". it's so obvious when a boss is about to pop up.

i'm starting to get tired of the game. it's already about 20 hours longer than sekiro which was the longest from software game for me. i'm considering just rushing to the end now. i still have a lot to go. i'm outside leyndell castle? (done the outskirts), not done shaded castle, dragonbarrow, volcano manor dungeon, mountain of the giants, haligtree, crumbling, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
i'm starting to get tired of the game. it's already about 20 hours longer than sekiro which was the longest from software game for me. i'm considering just rushing to the end now. i still have a lot to go. i'm outside leyndell castle? (done the outskirts), not done shaded castle/dragonbarrow, volcano manor dungeon, mountain of the gaints, haligtree, crumbling, etc.
I’d say don’t rush it just to enjoy some amazing level design in the legacy dungeons, but I’m disappointed by how much of the stuff that’s hidden in the darkest corners or guarded by the most powerful enemies turns out to be utter shit. Between this and the fact that must juggernauts choke out peanuts for runes while some ridiculously easy enemies give you tons of easy runes, let’s just say the game doesn’t know how to reward real merit. It’s these things that make it clear the open world setting isn’t so easy to transplant the classic Souls formula into wholesale.

Made it to the Hailig Erdtree and went down into the castle area. I was doing good, despite the enemies being strong, and then I met 2 or 4 balistas and a Tree Spirit thing, and I think I got hit by all of it. Super Dead.

Past all of them to the double doors, there is a grace immediately inside and to the left. I used bubble tear, shield and rolled/sprinted like hell. Then you can kill them all from relative safety.

I’d say don’t rush it just to enjoy some amazing level design in the legacy dungeons, but I’m disappointed by how much of the stuff that’s hidden in the darkest corners or guarded by the most powerful enemies turns out to be utter shit. Between this and the fact that must juggernauts choke out peanuts for runes while some ridiculously easy enemies give you tons of easy runes, let’s just say the game doesn’t know how to reward real merit. It’s these things that make it clear the open world setting isn’t so easy to transplant the classic Souls formula into wholesale.
the dungeons are my favourite part and i'm making sure to do them. it's the open world that is frustrating me. it's so boring. it was exciting maybe the first 15-20 hours but i've seen it all now. it's all the same copy + pasted dungeons/caves and bosses. stupid items i don't even need are locked in landmarks.

if we get Elden Ring 2 i want them to either seriously improve the open world or go back the old ways of smaller more linear maps. it feels like the game is open world just for the sake of it and to pump up game time.

Mossybrew

I figured I'd be done with this game but somehow I can't seem to stop playing NG+. I was pretty thorough the first time but I've already found a couple catacombs I totally missed. Plus, doing some questlines I skipped or messed up originally. Varre for example, I just did the part last night where you have to invade other players, which I never bothered with before. Apparently PvP, at least in the Lakes region, is based on the summoning player first getting up on a house via Torrent so he's then unreachable by invaders. Then they just hide up there while a steady stream of invaders and helpers duke it out below.

Last edited:

Jennings

I figured I'd be done with this game but somehow I can't seem to stop playing NG+. I was pretty thorough the first time but I've already found a couple catacombs I totally missed. Plus, doing some questlines I skipped or messed up originally. Varre for example, I just did the part last night where you have to invade other players, which I never bothered with before. Apparently PvP, at least in the Lakes region, is based on the summoning player first getting up on a house via Torrent so he's then unreachable by invaders. Then they just hide up there while a steady stream of invaders and helpers duke it out below.
I'm upset I wasn't able to do Varre's quests. I don't have Xbox Live so I can't do multiplayer stuff. I haven't looked at spoilers, but I was curious to see where his quest would go. I hit a brick wall at the first quest that required I use some fingers he gave me.

Last edited:

Majukun

the capital is definitely one of the more elaborate "dungeons", but it's also one of the worst performing, stuttering all day every 20 seconds

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Beat Godfrey last night. What a great fight. Just man to man brawling. He lets off the pressure just enough to let you hit/heal.

Maliketh on the other hand...uh wat. Beat second form on first try. Heard so much foreboding about him. My Latenna was dead before second phase began too.

Freeman76

Im sure this is well known but i just found a way to farm 1 million runes in under 10 minutes at Mohghwyn Palace using Sacred Relic Sword+10

I am working on my second play through and this time I picked wrench for hybrid Str/int build and it's working very good. Dual curved sword, one infused with bleed and one with cold and they melt everything. I miss my twinblades jedi tricks but I don't know if second time I am better or this setup up is better because I am not struggling that much. Every boss goes down at first or second try.

So just got to the mountaintop of the giants and met chaos!. This is the ending that hardlocks you in Im guessing (flame of frenzy). Anyone knows when is the last possible moment you can do the quest before its gone. Want to do a backup save for the plat.

Duellist

Valiant Gargoyles can suck my ass. Level 80 with level 14 and 15 uchikatanas and a level 7 mimic and I still get wrecked. Also area is glitched so you can’t summon a friend or anyone to help.

Valiant Gargoyles can suck my ass. Level 80 with level 14 and 15 uchikatanas and a level 7 mimic and I still get wrecked. Also area is glitched so you can’t summon a friend or anyone to help.
the duo gargoyles in siofra? they have been the most difficult fight in the game for me so far.

the fight is bugged in that sometimes the gargoyle won't jump down at the start of the fight so you need to kill yourself and start again. also i couldn't use my spirit summons in the arena. i didn't have any issues with summoning other players though. i was summoning 2 people to help me lol. no way could i have beat them on my own.

i can't remember what level i was when i faced them but for that area i definitely felt over levelled. the fight itself isn't anything difficult. i could avoid most their attacks but it felt like i was doing so little damage to them. could be a bug with the health. i wouldn't be surprised because of the other bugs in the fight.

i'm lvl 102 now with +20 uchigatana and sometimes put down a sign to help others with it. it's a bullshit fight.

Duellist

the duo gargoyles in siofra? they have been the most difficult fight in the game for me so far.

the fight is bugged in that sometimes the gargoyle won't jump down at the start of the fight so you need to kill yourself and start again. also i couldn't use my spirit summons in the arena. i didn't have any issues with summoning other players though. i was summoning 2 people to help me lol. no way could i have beat them on my own.

i can't remember what level i was when i faced them but for that area i definitely felt over levelled. the fight itself isn't anything difficult. i could avoid most their attacks but it felt like i was doing so little damage to them. could be a bug with the health. i wouldn't be surprised because of the other bugs in the fight.

i'm lvl 102 now with +20 uchigatana and sometimes put down a sign to help others with it. it's a bullshit fight.
Yup them’s the ones. Total bullshit fight. I think there was bug after last patch cause no summon will work. Just keeps saying unable to summon. Other areas work fine. Guess I will go farm some levels and try again.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Finished the game tonight which almost felt bittersweet because there's so much left I could've done. Such an amazing game I'm considering New Game + but I really don't need any further difficulty so would I be better off starting a new game versus NG+?

DelireMan7

Finished the game tonight which almost felt bittersweet because there's so much left I could've done. Such an amazing game I'm considering New Game + but I really don't need any further difficulty so would I be better off starting a new game versus NG+?
It goes down to your personal preferences I would say.

I am ah huge for of Soulsborne but I very rarely did NG+. I prefer create new characters and test new build.

I don't know for Elden Ring (and I guess it depends on your end rune level) but usually in previous games you destroy everything easily till mid game in NG+ since your character have good stats and weapons. Then you feel challenge again but nothing crazy. This is at least my little experience with NG+ from previous games.

On another topic :
Is the Frenzied flame stuff prevent me to do some bosses ? I wouldn't want to miss major bosses because of that. (Especially Malenia) No spoilers on boss pls, I know the name of few of them but not all.

Last edited:

Dibbs

So I need some advice here guys. I spent the majority of the game using a str/end build with Starscourge Greatsword +10, and kicking a fair amount of ass, until Malenia. After numerous of attemps I switch to a arcane/blood build and beat her (thank you Swarm of Flies). And now, I have the final bosses left. Should I continue with the blood build (I only have an Uchi +19 right now), revert to my old build or kinda do a mix of them?

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
It goes down to your personal preferences I would say.

I am ah huge for of Soulsborne but I very rarely did NG+. I prefer create new characters and test new build.

I don't know for Elden Ring (and I guess it depends on your end rune level) but usually in previous games you destroy everything easily till mid game in NG+ since your character have good stats and weapons. Then you feel challenge again but nothing crazy. This is at least my little experience with NG+ from previous games.

On another topic :
Is the Frenzied flame stuff prevent me to do some bosses ? I wouldn't want to miss major bosses because of that. (Especially Malenia) No spoilers on boss pls, I know the name of few of them but not all.
It doesn’t prevent any bosses as far as I know, but it does lock you into that particular ending after you defeat the final boss.

Yup them’s the ones. Total bullshit fight. I think there was bug after last patch cause no summon will work. Just keeps saying unable to summon. Other areas work fine. Guess I will go farm some levels and try again.
unable to summon isn't a bug. it's just that someone else got there before you. you need to run to a sign as soon as you see it appearing.

try standing in the grass/bush corners. it seems a lot of people like to stick their signs there which make them hard to see.

i'm going to play some Elden Ring just now. i'm gonna put my sign down. if you're on PC i'd be happy to give you some help. i can't promise anything but i'm happy to help :) i've never set a password. if i figure it out i'll let you know what it is.

luffie

Man, you mages should try using Bloodhound step and Adulla's Moonblade to fight Malenia solo.

It totally rocks, and felt like an epic sword dance duel. I love this Adulla dude.

Top Bottom