• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

i'm lvl 108 now and currently about to go into leyndell castle. spent the last few hours just doing some odd things here and there. done the shaded castle, a few tombs, went to the church of anticipation and killed the scion (i think i killed it in 3 or 4 hits lol) and got a quest item, fought some dragons and bosses, done the 3 invaders at the big jar dude, and mostly cleared dragonbarrow. i still have some bosses, tombs, and hero graves to do but i will come back to them later.

upgraded my uchigatana to +22 and my nagakiba to +17. arrow/shield are now +15. i tried using the mimic tear and i really like it so have upgraded that to +7 now.

there's not really anywhere else i can go now except into leyndell so that's where iam headed :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It doesn’t prevent any bosses as far as I know, but it does lock you into that particular ending after you defeat the final boss.

You can always back out of that ending provided you have done all the prerequisites. i.e. properly finishing Millicent's questline, defeating Malenia, and retaining access to Fortissax' arena.

The last thing can be kinda tricky as if you kill the dragon, but don't save at the site of grace in his arena you can no longer get access. On the other hand as you only need access to that place, you don't need to beat Fortissax to do what you need to do.

Duellist

unable to summon isn't a bug. it's just that someone else got there before you. you need to run to a sign as soon as you see it appearing.

try standing in the grass/bush corners. it seems a lot of people like to stick their signs there which make them hard to see.

i'm going to play some Elden Ring just now. i'm gonna put my sign down. if you're on PC i'd be happy to give you some help. i can't promise anything but i'm happy to help :) i've never set a password. if i figure it out i'll let you know what it is.
Thanks for the offer but I’m on ps5. Also there is definitely something going on in that area. Do a google search and there are Reddit threads with the problems. I also tried to summon my buddy using a password there and it still wouldn’t work. We left and went to another area and it worked just fine.

lingpanda

It appears that not only have I died numerous times in Elden Ring but so has my Series X. Elden Ring was the game to give me graphical artifacts. My hope is the vents are clogged with dust and some compressed air will save this tarnished soul. And of course my day 1 purchase is out of warranty.

went into leyndell. this area is huge and i'm struggling to remember everything. i think i've done most of it now but i can't figure out how to get onto some of the roofs. i see items + enemies there but don't know how to get there.

i've been upgrading my health but the enemies here are still wrecking me. i don't think i've died this often throughout the game lol.

edit: i take that back. apparently i've missed a lot of stuff. this fucking game lol. i need a break from this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Majukun

Valiant Gargoyles can suck my ass. Level 80 with level 14 and 15 uchikatanas and a level 7 mimic and I still get wrecked. Also area is glitched so you can’t summon a friend or anyone to help.
yeah, they are definitely one of the worst designed bosses.
had to repeat that battle an awful amount of time..cleared it less leveled than you but with a better summon

other than various cheese tactics you can find online, my tactic was to get to the waterfall on the right of the entrance (so that i'm as far as possible from the spawning point of the second one, and when the new one arrives quickly summon and leave the summon vs the weakened one while you go against the twin blade guy

if they ever get together is impossible to fight them, so i figured this was the only solution other than some cheese tactic

Mossybrew

Wow, you can get to that great cliffside farming spot (lure the bird/kill the easy goons) very early in the game if you do Varre's questline. In NG+ that bird is giving 22k runes each time and the little frog looking dudes are 4k each.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Question: Radahn was nerfed but rebuffed. My understanding is that the biggest complaint wasn’t so much the health and damage but the hit boxes. Does the rebuff restore the hit boxes or just the damage/health?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Wow, you can get to that great cliffside farming spot (lure the bird/kill the easy goons) very early in the game if you do Varre's questline. In NG+ that bird is giving 22k runes each time and the little frog looking dudes are 4k each.
It’s an absolutely hilarious farming spot. I massacre those froggies with my blasphemous blade. It’s a spot that can easily serve as an early/mid game by just killing the bird or late game by using AOE on the froggies.

SSfox

I'm so mindblown about the size of this game and the amount of stuffs you can do, even tho i played all Souls games with all DLCs, and i've gone to it with the highest expectations. It's like i'm playig a huge game that had a bunch of DLCs and i just bought the GOTY edition of it with very high quality of crafting.

Last edited:

Aesius

I'm so mindblown about the size of this game and the amount of stuffs you can do, even tho i played all Souls games with all DLCs, and i've gone to it with the highest expectations. It's like i'm playig a huge game that had a bunch of DLCs and i just bought the GOTY edition of it with very high quality of crafting.
And then you realize that DLC is coming.....

Mr Moose

Beat the last boss and got their sword, having a lot of fun with it.
One of the bell mausoleums don't work for me, the one outside castle Sol.
Do you have to beat the game 3 times for plat? Don't think I can be bothered with that.

Fools idol

Banned
Beat the last boss and got their sword, having a lot of fun with it.
One of the bell mausoleums don't work for me, the one outside castle Sol.
Do you have to beat the game 3 times for plat? Don't think I can be bothered with that.

no can be all done in one playthrough - just make sure you do all the npc quests + duplicate all the boss drops required for the legendary items

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
no can be all done in one playthrough - just make sure you do all the npc quests + duplicate all the boss drops required for the legendary items
Wrong, but not totally wrong. You have to take advantage of save back ups to get all endings in one play through. On ps5 and XSX, that can be a pain in the ass since it involves connecting and disconnecting.

Beat the final boss last night. Really good game overall even though some design choices weren't my cup of tea. Tried my hand at a NG+ run but after 15 minutes (tutorial boss, tree sentinel and Margit) I realized I'm burned. Calling it a game until DLC hits. If that happens.

Bartski

Gold Member
bosses don't drop any legendaries. Those can be all found in the world, out of those 2 weapons are missable

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Snowfield endgame area rant. Huge pissed off rant.
I sometimes hate this game so much... It is so inconsistent and full of bs.
80 hours in. Finished the game 15 hours ago.
ARE THEY FUCKING KIDDING ME WITH THIS INVISIBLE SHITS ?!
And people are still defending this game and shitting on ds2?! This is worse than horsefuck valley and worst parts of ds2 dlc which I am not a fan of (I love ds2 but not the dlc)
There are many spots like this in the game but this got to be one of most infuriating.
-archers with fast, magic, very homing arrows that hurt A TON
-Invisible black knife assassins. no snow footprints, no noise... it's snowing and you can't even see the snow on them. And insta backstabs when I am sprinting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-I am level 140... why is this so infuriating ?!
-I read you can use some torch to see invisible enmies ?! Are u fkn kidding me?! How is anyone suppose to know this without wiki. And what if I use shield in that hand? Do I sacrifice my build?! (YES, I killed him with torch offhand but still cmon)
-They even take away torrent.
-The invisible enemy backstabs you and then HE IS GONE. I can swipe around me and nothing. He will backstab me again few moments later.
-And everything got a ton of health
-I know I can just run around and lit the candles but that's a bad excuse for this poorly designed crap. Why do I have t run around like an idiot and ten 15 times to go to the next area. what's the challange

Fuck your git gud design. This is straight bs.
edit:... I already killed 3 of them. oh my god I really need to delete this game. And they probably respawn after i die from the archers

Last edited:

Mossybrew

And people are still defending this game and shitting on ds2?! This is worse than horsefuck valley and worst parts of ds2 dlc which I am not a fan of (I love ds2 but not the dlc)
There are many spots like this in the game but this got to be one of most infuriating.
-Invisible black knife assassins. no snow footprints, no noise... it's snowing and you can't even see the snow on them. And insta backstabs when I am sprinting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-I read you can use some torch to see invisible enmies ?! Are u fkn kidding me?! How is anyone suppose to know this without wiki. And what if I use shield in that hand? Do I sacrifice my build?! (YES, I killed him with torch offhand but still cmon)
-The invisible enemy backstabs you and then HE IS GONE. I can swipe around me and nothing. He will backstab me again few moments later.
-I know I can just run around and lit the candles but that's a bad excuse for this poorly designed crap. Why do I have t run around like an idiot and ten 15 times to go to the next area. what's the challange

edit:... I already killed 3 of them. oh my god I really need to delete this game. And they probably respawn after i die from the archers
Haha, yeah that place sucks. And yep, google is your friend, there's probably a way to do this without that torch but I sure don't know how you would. I figured there was some trick after I died twice to those assholes and immediately looked it up. Also those archers are total pricks and made me equip a shield for the first and only time that run. And at least the assassins do not respawn.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Haha, yeah that place sucks. And yep, google is your friend, there's probably a way to do this without that torch but I sure don't know how you would. I figured there was some trick after I died twice to those assholes and immediately looked it up. Also those archers are total pricks and made me equip a shield for the first and only time that run. And at least the assassins do not respawn.
yeah they don't... thank god.
But once I had to look up the torch I feel like I failed. such rewarding game design.
Now I run around and look for a way up to the candles. The archers...
Nope. I am not doing this

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah I mean, it's a totally optional area. Just ignore it and move on if it's too much.
I finished the game 3 weeks ago. I just wanted to play a bit to explore the areas I know I've missed.
I've not missed too much. I am lvl 140...
I think I am in an ass mood today so better not touch that area now

I see people are enjoying the excellencies of Ordina's design. :messenger_beaming:

Keep going! There's a magnificent surprise at the end of that. And a fantastic treat at the end of that surprise.

Fools idol

Banned
the Haligtree and the deeproots are such atmospheric areas. Fromsoft is second to none with environmental storytelling.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

Did this last night. Those archers are the cheesiest shit in a game full of cheese. Thank God I have a mage so I cheesed them back, but wtf. Felt like a concentrated version of OG Shrine of Amana.
The torch though, no wiki required there, pal. A merchant sells it, the description says clearly how it works. There’s another such enemy doing boss duties in a cave somewhere that ravaged me the first time I got there. When I found the torch and saw what it did, I went back there with a party of Raya soldiers and exacted my revenge, laughing like a maniac all the way :messenger_smiling_horns:

The area after the one that’s giving you trouble is just proof that From didn’t know what to fill a lot of areas with, so they just went “you know what the game really, really needs here? The most obnoxious enemy/group of enemies we can put there. Trust me, they’ll love it - they’ve been lapping up our shit for more than a decade now, after all!”
All that area and the stuff before it really feel like unfinished DLC forced in for good measure (as if there isn’t enough content in the game already). I really want to clean up all the unfinished business I left behind in my melee run that I aborted at the final boss, but I’m getting burned out by this amount of BS. From have completely forgotten that good game design not only requires clever area design, but also enemy positioning that makes some sense. Here it’s just throwing in hordes of highly resistant enemies with several thousand HP each in increasingly ridiculous terrain conditions and calling it “challenge”. To rub it in even more, most of the times you beat the umpteenth boss-turned-mob bastard just to find out that it was guarding something completely useless.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Did this last night. Those archers are the cheesiest shit in a game full of cheese. Thank God I have a mage so I cheesed them back, but wtf. Felt like a concentrated version of OG Shrine of Amana.
The torch though, no wiki required there, pal. A merchant sells it, the description says clearly how it works. There’s another such enemy doing boss duties in a cave somewhere that ravaged me the first time I got there. When I found the torch and saw what it did, I went back there with a party of Raya soldiers and exacted my revenge, laughing like a maniac all the way :messenger_smiling_horns:

The area after the one that’s giving you trouble is just proof that From didn’t know what to fill a lot of areas with, so they just went “you know what the game really, really needs here? The most obnoxious enemy/group of enemies we can put there. Trust me, they’ll love it - they’ve been lapping up our shit for more than a decade now, after all!”
All that area and the stuff before it really feel like unfinished DLC forced in for good measure (as if there isn’t enough content in the game already). I really want to clean up all the unfinished business I left behind in my melee run that I aborted at the final boss, but I’m getting burned out by this amount of BS. From have completely forgotten that good game design not only requires clever area design, but also enemy positioning that makes some sense. Here it’s just throwing in hordes of highly resistant enemies with several thousand HP each in increasingly ridiculous terrain conditions and calling it “challenge”. To rub it in even more, most of the times you beat the umpteenth boss-turned-mob bastard just to find out that it was guarding something completely useless.
I returned to it today and did the area.... there were 3 of the black knife assholes and for archers, I had to totally just get out a giant bow and cheese them... which I see as a fail since it's not in the spirit of my build.
I've made 2 steps into the tree area.... NOPE. maybe later.
I am seriously having way more fun going around at lvl 140 character and finishing all the remaining bosses and areas even if I am way overleveled for everything, it's super fun. But then there are areas like we talk about here. yuck

Last edited:
this is my current set up. i am thinking i should maybe use a larval tear and reallocate my stats. i dont know if i've gone over any soft limits. im using the uchigatana/nagakiba and sometimes bloodhound fang. i probably wont be using any different weapons going forawrd. i dont know if i should've put more into arcane? my endurance at that level seems about right and i think i might still put some into FP.

do these stats look ok or should i respec? thanks

8lNrAdT.jpg

u7ABmOW.jpg

Orbital2060

I returned to it today and did the area.... there were 3 of the black knife assholes and for archers, I had to totally just get out a giant bow and cheese them... which I see as a fail since it's not in the spirit of my build.
I've made 2 steps into the tree area.... NOPE. maybe later.
I am seriously having way more fun going around at lvl 140 character and finishing all the remaining bosses and areas even if I am way overleveled for everything, it's super fun. But then there are areas like we talk about here. yuck
It was an annoying puzzle I agree, esp with the high damage from the archers. I was around 140 too when I did that.

But really a bow is super useful in souls games. The Pulley Bow is maybe the best one for Dex based builds. The black bow is in the game too (as a legacy from earlier games) but not the best anymore.

A bow made the Iron Keep in DS2 a lot easier too. People complained about going there as melee but with a bow it was easy. Seems like a lot of people feel estranged to using a bow for some reason, and From keep making areas and tight spots a lot easier with one.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
this is my current set up. i am thinking i should maybe use a larval tear and reallocate my stats. i dont know if i've gone over any soft limits. im using the uchigatana/nagakiba and sometimes bloodhound fang. i probably wont be using any different weapons going forawrd. i dont know if i should've put more into arcane? my endurance at that level seems about right and i think i might still put some into FP.

8lNrAdT.jpg

u7ABmOW.jpg

Arcane is very important for blood builds and you get damage Increase usually even higher than with dexterity.

Orbital2060

8lNrAdT.jpg

u7ABmOW.jpg
I would suggest Endurance up to 30, and Arcane to 20. Then back to Dex to 40. And cycling between these stats until Dex and Arc are at 50.

Youre gonna want at least 40 End later on. For the stamina. 55 Vigor looks fine.

luffie

Lol yeah, that place is nightmare but it doesn't really need wiki though.

You get the torch pretty early in the game, and it does mention that it was made to prevent the assassination, I pretty much remembered it when i got my first backstab. Then with the torch used, you can actually ambush the Black Knifes first.

I'm not sure how many options are available or if you can use mimic veil, but I utilized invisibility magic to ambush all the albinauric archers.

So yeah it's brutal, but there's a lot of options and useful items that we often miss out.

Bartski

Gold Member
The spear from the capital i know of, but whats the second?
Devourer's Scepter - if you kill Maliketh too soon, Bernahl will not invade you in Azula. You can start a NG+ and just run straight to his shack in Limgrave and kill him to get it but who does that

luffie

I just beat the game yesterday, what a blast it is. It's so massive, that I clocked in at 160+ hours, and I still missed a bit of stuffs (I avoid wiki as much as i can).

I'll be taking a break from this. From basically sold a platinum edition game with all the dlcs in it at a very reasonable price.

The last parts were difficult but isn't as bullshit as some made it to be imo. Nevertheless, it was epic, kudos to From, truly the best in their own field.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lol yeah, that place is nightmare but it doesn't really need wiki though.

You get the torch pretty early in the game, and it does mention that it was made to prevent the assassination, I pretty much remembered it when i got my first backstab. Then with the torch used, you can actually ambush the Black Knifes first.

I'm not sure how many options are available or if you can use mimic veil, but I utilized invisibility magic to ambush all the albinauric archers.

So yeah it's brutal, but there's a lot of options and useful items that we often miss out.
Yeah the torch description is pretty clear.
But I don't go through all merchants inventories and 100% do not read description on some random torch if I already have a torch.,

ikbalCO

Beat the final boss last night. Really good game overall even though some design choices weren't my cup of tea. Tried my hand at a NG+ run but after 15 minutes (tutorial boss, tree sentinel and Margit) I realized I'm burned. Calling it a game until DLC hits. If that happens.
I felt the exact same way when i finished the game after 120 hours playing, at level 160. I am always so suprised when i read that people went on with the new game plus after finishing it immedietly. Like how are you not done?

After finishing the game i wanted to try that sword you get from the end game boss that everyone was gushing about and went to stormveil castle, realised i was mentally checked out even before i swing the sword.

I am done with playing this game, but now i am obsessed with watching the lore videos :(

ikbalCO

Yeah the game is beyond unbalance. Espacially the end game area and last few bosses are bullshit when it comes to how they work and the damage they inflict.

I personally do not believe anyone play this game to completion with out googling. There is no way in hell you can read every item description and some important things are hidden away into lore.

But i remember being able to avoid the black knives in the snowy castle where you are trying to light the towers if i am not getting it wrong?

Also this game has the flaws of previous souls bourne games, invisible walls being the most obvious one. There is really no redemable quality to them and i dont know why from soft is still keeping them aroung. They are just a big fuck you to the player.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Yeah the torch description is pretty clear.
But I don't go through all merchants inventories and 100% do not read description on some random torch if I already have a torch.,
Well, I was curious about one merchant in Caelid selling a more expensive torch than the one I already had, so I read the description. Turned out it could keep wild animals away. I immediately remembered this fucking mama bear in a cave she could barely fit in and guess what, the torch kept her at bay while I pillaged the cul-de-sac behind her. So when I found yet another merchant selling yet another torch, first thing I did was to read its description. I’m not reading every line of text in the game, too (but the truth is, you should).

On another note:
Malenia
down :messenger_bicep:

I mean, kudos to those who can beat her at level 1 in their underwear and using only parries, but the right way to do it is to spam her ass with lock-on spells front, side and back with the help of my Mimic Tear. Screen coruscating like Chinese New Year’s, lol. It felt like the Darklurker duo boss fight from Dark Souls 2 - only, I was the motherfucking Darklurker this time :messenger_smiling_horns:

I have not yet used a single summon and I haven't been finding it any more or less difficult than other souls titles. What boss are you thinking that really needs a summon? Curious if I've already fought them or not.

I have not yet used a single summon and I haven't been finding it any more or less difficult than other souls titles. What boss are you thinking that really needs a summon? Curious if I've already fought them or not.
the only boss i've used summoning (other players) for is the twin gargoyles in nokron.

yesterday i thought i had got through Leyndell but i was so wrong! went back today and got some more items. went into the sewers. a lot of the enemies were wrecking me so i ran through most of it. i've probably forgot to go somewhere. i got to the catacombs and beat the boss there. i don't care if i've missed anything i got sick of that area and wanted out. so i got to Morgott and kicked his ass. now i'm in the forbidden lands (after activating the rune).

this is my latest stats:

eXD3SpD.jpg

tNPO6AL.jpg

luffie

Yeah the game is beyond unbalance. Espacially the end game area and last few bosses are bullshit when it comes to how they work and the damage they inflict.

I personally do not believe anyone play this game to completion with out googling. There is no way in hell you can read every item description and some important things are hidden away into lore.

But i remember being able to avoid the black knives in the snowy castle where you are trying to light the towers if i am not getting it wrong?

Also this game has the flaws of previous souls bourne games, invisible walls being the most obvious one. There is really no redemable quality to them and i dont know why from soft is still keeping them aroung. They are just a big fuck you to the player.
I dunno man, sounds pretty extreme to say that nobody can finish the game without wiki. 100% them, probably? If only because you wanna save time.

I played the game as a mage, lvl 153, as difficult and frustrating as it is, I wouldn't call it near "beyond unbalanced". There's so many items and tools not utilized in game. I used damage negation physicks and also crab meats, they certainly reduce a lot of damage. Then perfumes allow me 1 invulnerability hit, and you can carry 8 of them. While all of the attacks can be avoided easily with Bloodhound step.

I didn't even kill them with meta bleed or whatever, just spells and fully upgraded Uchigatana, solo. Not to brag as if I'm a good player, but just oointing out that tha damage you receive is manageable with your resources.

As for invisible walls? I kinda... like them?(yeah call me a masochist whatever) They are kinda obvious and makes me feel smart when i discover them. I do hate invisible floors tho...

So yeah, do experiment and strategize with your items, and you might find that you are indeed well equipped to overcome them well enough.

ikbalCO

I dunno man, sounds pretty extreme to say that nobody can finish the game without wiki. 100% them, probably? If only because you wanna save time.

I played the game as a mage, lvl 153, as difficult and frustrating as it is, I wouldn't call it near "beyond unbalanced". There's so many items and tools not utilized in game. I used damage negation physicks and also crab meats, they certainly reduce a lot of damage. Then perfumes allow me 1 invulnerability hit, and you can carry 8 of them. While all of the attacks can be avoided easily with Bloodhound step.

I didn't even kill them with meta bleed or whatever, just spells and fully upgraded Uchigatana, solo. Not to brag as if I'm a good player, but just oointing out that tha damage you receive is manageable with your resources.

As for invisible walls? I kinda... like them?(yeah call me a masochist whatever) They are kinda obvious and makes me feel smart when i discover them. I do hate invisible floors tho...

So yeah, do experiment and strategize with your items, and you might find that you are indeed well equipped to overcome them well enough.
I was ofcourse exaggerating when i said nobody but maybe your class effect the enjoyment you get from the end game area too much? I went for more of a strength/arcane route where you have to get really close to the enemies and let me tell you regardless of your level there are a lot of attacks that can one shot you.

Personally i didnt have much issue with them since my vigor was 60+ but i do understand where people coming from when they complain about the unfairness of end game part

Mr Moose

yesterday i thought i had got through Leyndell but i was so wrong! went back today and got some more items. went into the sewers. a lot of the enemies were wrecking me so i ran through most of it. i've probably forgot to go somewhere. i got to the catacombs and beat the boss there. i don't care if i've missed anything i got sick of that area and wanted out. so i got to Morgott and kicked his ass. now i'm in the forbidden lands (after activating the rune).

this is my latest stats:

eXD3SpD.jpg

tNPO6AL.jpg
Make sure you get the best Katana in the game before beating the fire giant.
I fucked up once with the white mask and beat the boss in the area before getting it :messenger_crying:

Top Bottom